Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

toe knee hand posted:

okay ladies. justified is good, you pointed me in the right direction there. what other tv shows might i like? the only two other shows besides justified that i like are grey's anatomy and glee.

If you are willing to watch something absurd, try Sleepy Hollow. http://www.globaltv.com/sleepyhollow/index.html

During the American revolution, revolutionary Ichabod Crane beheads a hessian horseman and is mortally wounded himself. His wife is secretly a witch, who buries him with George Washington's bible and then for ~reasons~ he comes back to life in 2013. The headless horseman comes back to life about the same time, and wants his head and stuff. But they can't let him have his head, because it turns out the headless horseman is Death, one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, and if he gets his head back he can ride out and start the apocalypse. And then a lot of silly things happen . . . like Death with a machine gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFHvr-EhmUo

The show knows it is silly, and embraces that. One of the nice things is that despite the absurd situations, the characters are mostly rational and reasonably intelligent. Ichabod is old timey dude, but he immediately recognises cars and trucks as vehicles, not monsters. As a Canadian some of the little details go over my head because we don't spend much time studying the american rebellion or the founding fathers, but there is still lots to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Enfys posted:

Pffft dogs are best, fluffy snugglebeasts forever.

Except when they don't think you can use the toilet on your own because going into any room by yourself and closing the door on them means OH GOD GOING TO DIE and you probably don't know how to poop without supervision.

Well they're not allowed to poop without supervision, why should you get to?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I kinda want a cat but I'm way too concerned about getting a lemon. I helped choose my parents' current cat and it's a total lemon, super snuggly in the shelter and now couldn't give less of a gently caress about anyone's existence.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Is that crossfit?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

I am confusingly aroused

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 4, 2014

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I think leggings would be a fine replacement for tights so long as you don't go for the wacky ones covered with galaxies and cats and stuff

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Business casual is pretty loose for women. Enjoy it. For dudes it basically means dress but no jacket or tie which is still loving lame as all get out. My boss gets lovely if she sees I have my uncomfortable collar button unbuttoned.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

amarantinesky posted:

Thank you all for your responses! It seems like there are a wide range of definitions of business casual and that was my problem. My supervisor told me Friday that it is on the casual side and then today the director I met with said it's more formal, like how bank employees dress (I don't really know what they wear). So it wasn't like I wore jeans and a t-shirt or anything.

Based on what I observed and this thread, I will try to avoid any remotely bright colors or any kind of pattern and will instead stick with plain grey sweaters. I'll also get some black dress pants as it seems I'm doomed. It's going to be a pain to find dress shoes that are nice enough and comfortable enough for my ridiculous feet, though. I do have skirts that are okay but I don't know if dealing with tights is worth it. I've basically replaced tights with leggings because they are much easier and warmer and don't tear.

Basically work (or field placement in my case but that's just work you pay for the privilege of) is annoying and stressful enough already, just let me wear comfortable clothes instead of making my wardrobe equally frustrating. :smith:

If you wear pants you can get by with masculine styled dress shoes. They look dumb with skirts, but with pants a lady in oxfords or whatever looks just fine. Much more comfortable than more feminine styles.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I have made a grave error. Thirty ounces of shampoo for a dollar fifty? What could go wrong, I thought. What conditioner I use makes a bigger difference anyway.

I now have the buyer's remorse. I tried to be thrifty but this poo poo just doesn't work, even if I lather up a second time after rinsing once my scalp still doesn't really feel Clean once its dry.

Moral of the story is if you buy suave you get what you pay for which ain't much. And I have thirty goddamn ounces of the crap that I can't just it throwing away on my budget :saddowns:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

amarantinesky posted:

Basically work (or field placement in my case but that's just work you pay for the privilege of) is annoying and stressful enough already, just let me wear comfortable clothes instead of making my wardrobe equally frustrating. :smith:

What do you do? (If I can ask without being all nosey and pushy sounding.) Field work sounds interesting and rather like what I plan on doing in my next career iteration.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Women's Rights? posted:

I think leggings would be a fine replacement for tights so long as you don't go for the wacky ones covered with galaxies and cats and stuff

I think it'd depend on the shoes. With dress boots so they're indistinguishable from tights, no problem. With flats, so it's obvious they're leggings, that will look too trendy and casual.

amarantinesky posted:

Thank you all for your responses! It seems like there are a wide range of definitions of business casual and that was my problem. My supervisor told me Friday that it is on the casual side and then today the director I met with said it's more formal, like how bank employees dress (I don't really know what they wear). So it wasn't like I wore jeans and a t-shirt or anything.

Based on what I observed and this thread, I will try to avoid any remotely bright colors or any kind of pattern and will instead stick with plain grey sweaters. I'll also get some black dress pants as it seems I'm doomed. It's going to be a pain to find dress shoes that are nice enough and comfortable enough for my ridiculous feet, though. I do have skirts that are okay but I don't know if dealing with tights is worth it. I've basically replaced tights with leggings because they are much easier and warmer and don't tear.

Honestly, bank employees usually have some of the strictest dress codes out there. I had friend who worked at a branch in a grocery store and her manager was ridiculously uptight about them wearing slips with everything.

Plain, boring colors are a good idea. I'd get some thick opaque black tights and a good pair of comfortable flats so you can wear skirts too. Skirts always look dressier than pants. Collared shirts also look dressier than plain crew necks. This is a new job, right? See if you can figure out how to make your existing wardrobe work for a week so you can take some cues from what your coworkers and supervisors wear.

Shannonmcn posted:

Your cat is super cute and that is the best version of business casual ever :wink:
And I should really watch Veronica Mars.

Thanks! He's the best and most spoiled rottenest cat ever. And I always felt VM was totally over-hyped so I'm surprised I'm enjoying it so much. (it's on Amazon Prime right now for free)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

I think it helps if you try to buy pieces that you actually enjoy. My work clothes are pretty subdued color-wise, but I always look for things with interesting details and proportions. You can get a LOT of mileage out of a monochromatic wardrobe. And you can always throw on a colorful bangle, necklace or pair of shoes. For shoes, look for wedges rather than heels, they tend to be a lot more walkable.

I know it seems shallow, but if I feel awkward in what I'm wearing, I tend to be a bit less focused than if I'm wearing something I enjoy.

And as for tights, I know it's not glamorous, but I've had pretty good luck with the six dollar microfiber Hanes and No Nonsense pairs they sell at drugstores.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
rear end IS STACKED

TITS LIKE A HURRICANE

JANITA! MY LOVE

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

guy owns

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

toe knee hand posted:

okay ladies. justified is good, you pointed me in the right direction there. what other tv shows might i like? the only two other shows besides justified that i like are grey's anatomy and glee.

so... we've got arrow? that's it? i'm sure there were more suggestions the last time i asked this. n.b. i'm canadian so amazon prime availability is irrelevant, i have other ways of finding tv shows.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i intend to get drunk tomorrow night and am budgeting accordingly

$6 for the wine

$10 for the re-reg

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

at least play videogames if you're going to drink alone

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i draw troubling and erotic aliens when i'm drunk alone

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

I think you're going to have to post those

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

I think you're going to have to post those
i will

possibly in YLLS

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

PLS to be PMing me an erotic alien. Unless it's like a communion alien because those are scary.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

post your Mass Effect fanart please

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

t_violet posted:

Honestly, bank employees usually have some of the strictest dress codes out there. I had friend who worked at a branch in a grocery store and her manager was ridiculously uptight about them wearing slips with everything.

Dang, I haven't worn a slip with anything in forever. How would you even tell? Random slip checks?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i actually haven't gamed since 2002 :(

not because i'm not a pitiful nerd but because i can't afford a console or a laptop capable of running any game more sophisticated than tetris

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

Random slip checks?

precisely

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

amarantinesky posted:

I don't know if it's too late to reply to this thing but I learned a lot from the featured threads on r/femalefashionadvice/, just look at that sidebar on the right side and don't even bother subscribing or trying to keep up with it. Ditto the "best of" stuff on http://corporette.com
http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/14g2pa/discussion_the_french_wardrobe_threadhow_to/
http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/15yf1z/the_french_wardrobe_thread_2curating_a_wardrobe/
http://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/vxfhj/guide_finding_a_style_building_a_wardrobe/

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
That's crazy. And this is coming from someone who has to do random sock checks at work. But my guys/gals are required in writing to wear black socks. I couldn't work somewhere that checked my undergarments. No way.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Angela Christine posted:

If you wear pants you can get by with masculine styled dress shoes. They look dumb with skirts, but with pants a lady in oxfords or whatever looks just fine. Much more comfortable than more feminine styles.

When I have to walk a lot but don't want to wear sneakers I usually wear danskos. They are surprisingly versatile and come in varieties besides the traditional clogs. They were traditionally nurse shoes but have come out with more office styles. They are very comfortable.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Thanks for cleaning up your bedroom a bit before that last pic, t. You are such a goon.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

When I have to walk a lot but don't want to wear sneakers I usually wear danskos. They are surprisingly versatile and come in varieties besides the traditional clogs. They were traditionally nurse shoes but have come out with more office styles. They are very comfortable.

Danskos are nice, but they're hell to break in and they've always felt really clunky to me. I've only worn the clogs, though, so YMMV.

For sensible shoes, I have a pair of BOC ankle boots I adore, and I've always had pretty good luck with Clarks. You can usually find both brands at DSW for relatively cheap

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

amarantinesky posted:

It's not nosy since I've probably posted it elsewhere. I'm doing social work with the goal of becoming a therapist. There are a lot of students in my program who have already had successful previous careers and wanted to make a career change, so it's definitely a field you can enter if you're over 35 or whatever.

Pretty much my plan, but not so much on the Social Work part. I cannot deal with kids. I'd like to be a Marriage and Family Therapist, but we'll see. I need to get out from under career #1 first. And I'll be 38 when I start school, so - yeah. Maybe (maybe) I'll have a BS first. Probably not because I REALLY suck at Algebra and pretty much all math that isn't geometry. Algebra is all I need for my AA and I keep failing it. I had a 3.85 and now not so much. I'm like >< this close to quitting the whole deal because I'm getting sick of paying for failure because i have this pesky 50+ hours a week job already.

Editing:

Crow Jane posted:

Danskos are nice, but they're hell to break in and they've always felt really clunky to me. I've only worn the clogs, though, so YMMV.

For sensible shoes, I have a pair of BOC ankle boots I adore, and I've always had pretty good luck with Clarks. You can usually find both brands at DSW for relatively cheap

I wear Born loafers for nice and comfy but not with a dress. They look nice with slacks and a cardigan.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

They are boring leggings but I wore them today and felt judged, so I'm not sure if I should try it again. I kind of want leggings covered with cats in galaxies now, though. :3:

I don't know about leggings, but I know that galaxy cat shirts are a thing. I have a shirt of a leopard in a galaxy and saw galaxy tiger and galaxy owl shirts the other day.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

I think it helps if you try to buy pieces that you actually enjoy. My work clothes are pretty subdued color-wise, but I always look for things with interesting details and proportions. You can get a LOT of mileage out of a monochromatic wardrobe. And you can always throw on a colorful bangle, necklace or pair of shoes. For shoes, look for wedges rather than heels, they tend to be a lot more walkable.

I know it seems shallow, but if I feel awkward in what I'm wearing, I tend to be a bit less focused than if I'm wearing something I enjoy.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. I honestly wear higher heels and tighter clothes than I really should but I'm so much more comfortable in that kinda stuff than when I was really trying to follow a "dress for success" guide and it makes me confident.

Captain Backslap posted:

Thanks for cleaning up your bedroom a bit before that last pic, t. You are such a goon.

I am so ridiculously a slobby goon. Every time I post a pic of my house, I check to see if it gets posted in PYF Goon Lairs. But I like looking at other people's pics (everyone post more pics!) so I figure I'll just post anyway.

amarantinesky posted:

I thought bank employees had strict dress codes too, that's why I was so confused to get totally contradictory advice. The issue is probably that my supervisor is an older guy who can wear whatever he wants. All of the older employees were dressed much more casually and so I was misled. Collared button downs are my enemy - one of the many disadvantages of having big boobs - so I will try to find a shirt that doesn't fit like a large sack everywhere except my chest.

You know, I bet it's partly 'cause it's just way easier for guys to define "business casual" than women. But, and I almost hate to mention this, is the boss that mentioned dressing dressier a women? Sometimes it seems like female bosses can be a lot pickier about what young women employees wear. And I think it's even harder when you have a bust to worry about. I really hope that's not what's going on at your workplace.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with subdued separates as Crow Jane said. And it won't be money ill-spent, when you feel more confident about what you're wearing, you can always mix brighter pieces in with the neutrals.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Oh wait your pile of clothes are just on top of your furniture this time instead of the floor. I dub you a Pro Goon, that's what I do, too.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Angela Christine posted:

If you are willing to watch something absurd, try Sleepy Hollow. http://www.globaltv.com/sleepyhollow/index.html

During the American revolution, revolutionary Ichabod Crane beheads a hessian horseman and is mortally wounded himself. His wife is secretly a witch, who buries him with George Washington's bible and then for ~reasons~ he comes back to life in 2013. The headless horseman comes back to life about the same time, and wants his head and stuff. But they can't let him have his head, because it turns out the headless horseman is Death, one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, and if he gets his head back he can ride out and start the apocalypse. And then a lot of silly things happen . . . like Death with a machine gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFHvr-EhmUo

The show knows it is silly, and embraces that. One of the nice things is that despite the absurd situations, the characters are mostly rational and reasonably intelligent. Ichabod is old timey dude, but he immediately recognises cars and trucks as vehicles, not monsters. As a Canadian some of the little details go over my head because we don't spend much time studying the american rebellion or the founding fathers, but there is still lots to enjoy.
Honestly this seemed really good but I fell asleep during the pilot due to food coma. And my sister, who really likes it, got annoyed at me pointing out the plot holes. Dude is super cute tho. Yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with extra cheese
Oct 27, 2010
While we're doing business fashion advice, anyone have recommendations for places to find petite blazers? I'm in Canada so we don't have Ann Taylor, though I'll probably end up driving down to the States sometime soon to do shopping. I'm tired of looking like a little kid wearing her mom's work clothes.

• Locked thread