Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foxy Grampa invented the mech suit? :monocle:

I'm also surprised that the fifth panel doesn't have a caption saying "Oh! The barrel is chasing us! How can this be? Quickly, we must escape around the corner!" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 20-22, 1926)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Get this kid an art scholorship! That's pretty much a photorealistic representation right there.

Apartment 3-G

Maybe if I'd been paying attention the last few weeks I'd have an idea what she's talking about, but I guess I just don't care. Also props to the colorist for remembering that pink is the traditional color for brides to wear at weddings, and to Bolle for remembering that older ladies marrying for the second (or more?) time still love to wear veils.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Evil Mastermind posted:

Foxy Grampa invented the mech suit? :monocle:

CLAN JADE FALCON PLANS TO PULL A FAST ONE ON FOXY GRANDPA, BUT HE AND SOME INNER SPHERE COMPATRIOTS GAIN THE UPPER HAND.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Get this kid an art scholorship! That's pretty much a photorealistic representation right there.

Oh, Tiffany... Don't you know? Children are a woman's greatest joy. You're so broken and horrible, wanting to focus on yourself and your dreams of acting instead of being down to hang out with babies as a teenager. Why concentrate on your career? It's not like your drive got you into acting camp instead of Luann.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

I'm pretty sure the joke we're SUPPOSED to get from this is "haha, Tiffany is vain and terrible and loves anything that looks even remotely like her face" but I choose to interpret it as her being genuinely flattered and cheered up by the kind gesture of a child. I know it's not true, but I can dream.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

sweetguts posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke we're SUPPOSED to get from this is "haha, Tiffany is vain and terrible and loves anything that looks even remotely like her face" but I choose to interpret it as her being genuinely flattered and cheered up by the kind gesture of a child. I know it's not true, but I can dream.

Yes, I also choose to interpret this as the tipping point where Tiffany suddenly understands and cherishes her chance to interact with these kids. She recants and keeps her job, finding it more fulfilling than anything she's ever done before.

Meanwhile Luann continues to dump on her anyway because Luann is a bland rear end in a top hat.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Allen Wren posted:

Get hosed.

Harsh, but fair.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Creeps is honestly pretty distressing.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Time for Classic Nancy :v:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

sweetguts posted:

I see this as Tiffany not burning this kid's house down. Unlike the others.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm trying to figure out if F-Minus is the most consistently unfunny strip in this thread. I can't even muster hatred for it because it's so banal.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- I was evicted
- But now I have a new apartment in my binoculars

"I'm looking at a new apartment" or "I have a new apartment in mind", pretty much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- I was evicted
- But now I have a new apartment in my binoculars

"I'm looking at a new apartment" or "I have a new apartment in mind", pretty much.

"I've got a new apartment in my sights" probably works better.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

This joke is so old and dumb that it was last seen eating breakfast with Zippy the Pinhead

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Eh, I'm an artist and musician, and I changed the spelling of my name to make it a bit more Google-able. That's a good marketing move for that profession, though; can't think why an IT drone would need to.
Dethany works for an IT company but her actual job is personal assistant to the executive assistant. Also she unofficially changed her name and adopted the goth persona when she was five and just stuck with it for life.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

I'm thinking this week I want to try out some new (to us) vintage comics. I don't know much about any of these and I didn't bother looking up any backstory or do much of any research at all, really, I'm just going to jump right in. If they're interesting I might keep posting them, and if not I won't. Let's just see how it goes. They're all soap strips because that's what I like.

Brick Bradford appears to be an adventury sci-fi actiony kind of thing. These ones originally ran in 1941.

Judge Parker originally from 1970. I don't expect to keep posting this one because Judge Parker is kind of boring, but maybe Old JP will surprise me by being a non-stop thrillfest.

Radio Patrol is about a couple of cops who have a radio in their patrol car. This was a big deal at the time (1943). Also, the cops are Irish. I thought I'd better mention it, since their portrayal is sure to be quite subtle and you might not pick up on it.

I don't know what Rip Kirby is about. Gangsters maybe? One thing's for sure, I'm not going to take the second and a half required to look it up :effort: . Originally from 1954.

Big Ben Bolt is about a man who punches people for a living. I mean, not today it isn't, but usually it is. This one's from 1953.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol is about a couple of cops who have a radio in their patrol car. This was a big deal at the time (1943). Also, the cops are Irish. I thought I'd better mention it, since their portrayal is sure to be quite subtle and you might not pick up on it.

I can see that last frame coming in handy here.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Maybe if I'd been paying attention the last few weeks I'd have an idea what she's talking about, but I guess I just don't care. Also props to the colorist for remembering that pink is the traditional color for brides to wear at weddings, and to Bolle for remembering that older ladies marrying for the second (or more?) time still love to wear veils.

You're missing the best point of this! Someone in Apartment 3G got married.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm thinking this week I want to try out some new (to us) vintage comics.

Some of the vintage comics on CK are pretty tough to get into unless you catch them at the beginning of a storyline, so I'd maybe focus on one or two of them. Buz Sawyer is pretty good once you read through the backlog, but right now it's in a flurry of escaping nameless Soviets. And, honestly... I sorta want to keep it out of the thread because I'm genuiniely enjoying it and don't want to see it mocked.

I posted a few of the vintage Judge Parker strips in this thread or the other (Rex getting punched out twice, and a tiny human child cussing a blue streak at Rex). The current storyline in JP is something about a foster child and it's slow and terrible, but it's less terrible than modern JP and it is moving us inexorably towards the point where Rex claims a wife.

Oh, that reminds me, I missed posting The Little King on Sunday and I'm backlogged on Quincy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Oh, that reminds me, I missed posting The Little King on Sunday and I'm backlogged on Quincy.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I've seen this posted before. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Goddamn reruns.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Comics (November 30th 2006)

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

scarycave posted:

Are you sure? I could have sworn I've seen this posted before. Maybe I'm just crazy.

You're right, that's the wrong week. Gah.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Nitrate must be moonlighting from his storage locker / pawn shop reality show.

Judge Parker

Obviously Randy has never read this strip. A sudden move stretches out over a week of strips.

9 Chickweed Lane

Great, so now Gamma is wearing a bugged bikini bottom too.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

God is omnipotent, so yes he can create that rock and then immediately move it afterwards. Don't think about it too much though.

Retail

Just take on Mina. Surely you can handle her with you and your posse on high alert :getin:.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

That sounds like something Karl would say. Do you want to be like Karl, Bleeker?

Dustin

You just don't understand business, Dustin. "Bob's Yogurt Shop" probably has better SEO potential in the internet age and by only stocking the most popular flavors he keeps inventory and storage costs down.

On the Fastrack

I actually had never heard of this and had to look it up. Well, that marks one time Holbrook is more up on current tech than me.

Safe Havens

There is nothing weird about this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

Ah, gently caress. Plot incoming, Rusty unabducted.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

rudecyrus posted:

I'm trying to figure out if F-Minus is the most consistently unfunny strip in this thread. I can't even muster hatred for it because it's so banal.
I don't blame you. It used to be hit-or-miss, but when it hit, it really hit. It's been a long time since it really hit for me, but I keep posting it, because honestly sometimes I post one that I think is "meh" and it gets a good reaction. It's rarely "bad," in my opinion, but often it's also not all that funny.

I do think it's better than most single-panel gag strips though, and I like the art.

F Minus

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Huh, it's a clunker today.

I don't know why but F-Minus is about the right level of absurd for me so it consistently makes me smile. I like the expressions and I like the gags. Different strokes etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

There is nothing weird about this.

As someone who has lived in a college dorm, if the RA kept being a cat and not fixing poo poo around the place I would be pissed. I know she just lives in a house now, but still

I'm just saying that this is very irresponsible, also loving bizarre

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I'd post something other than Lio but all the better strips are taken.

Please don't die, Fat Creep, you have the best current strip in the country.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Judge Parker originally from 1970. I don't expect to keep posting this one because Judge Parker is kind of boring, but maybe Old JP will surprise me by being a non-stop thrillfest.

"They said they were with the Vandelay Foundation."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You're right, that's the wrong week. Gah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 21, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

don Jaime posted:

Please don't die, Fat Creep, you have the best current strip in the country.

I love that his out of body experience is going in for more chicken as he lays dying from pigging out on chicken.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Nitrate must be moonlighting from his storage locker / pawn shop reality show.
Okay so he's a hard businessman instead of a likeable eccentric film freak, but that's fair enough, really. He sourced it, which was apparently near impossible, he had it restored, and if he can get 300 grand for it from sci-fi nerds, more power to him. If anything it's almost a nice gesture to offer it to the guy who'd want it for personal reasons first rather than throw it on the anonymous collectors' market immediately. Not his fault Vitamin is being a romantic about it.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 21, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay so he's a hard businessman instead of a likeable eccentric film freak, but that's fair enough, really. He sourced it, which was apparently near impossible, he had it restored, and if he can get 300 grand for it from sci-fi nerds, more power to him. If anything it's almost a nice gesture to offer it to the guy who'd want it for personal reasons first rather than throw it on the anonymous collectors' market immediately. Not his fault Vitamin is being a romantic about it.

I can't wait for him to somehow be a villain, even though there appears to be literally no reason for him to do so.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Tunicate posted:

"I've got a new apartment in my sights" probably works better.

Yes, that's perfect. I shouldn't translate puns in the middle of the night.

Fok_it

Sosiaali- ja terveydenhuollon palvelurakenneuudistus, social and health care reform, is more commonly known as simply sote-uudistus. A part of the joke is lost in that this guy may not even know it has anything to do with health care.

As for what it's about, I can't explain it any simpler either.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Calling it: he doesn't have the rest of the episode and this is just fraud.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He did receive an entire reel of film. My money's on it being stolen actually. Mostly because it's the only way this becomes an actual crime I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

My Lovely Horse posted:

He did receive an entire reel of film. My money's on it being stolen actually. Mostly because it's the only way this becomes an actual crime I can think of.

So I actually had a dream about him the other day, and my money is that he has watched every single fight dick tracy has been in on video, so when tracy shows up with his Ni No Kuni party, he'll be able to take him out still.

• Locked thread