Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

pentyne posted:

Chinese politicians shifting to the humanizing trend of US politicians eating local food hotspots can only be positive. It's cheap PR publicity but does a great job of connecting with the average citizen and hopefully is a sign that Xi Jinping wants to break down the wall of separation between elites and the average Chinese person.

Are you sure it's not just a sign that corruption is especially egregious, and they're resorting to stunts to try to deflect criticism?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The fashion for the CCP and the state run media outlets is to paint the upper echelons as men of the people who grace the public with visits to dumpling shops, make appearances at childrens hospitals, and wear sneakers while the real troubles lie with the local officials (who are all passing up the corrupt money to the top anyway).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but Xi Jinping seems to have really latched onto this corruption thing. It's not a bad plan; it serves both Xi's internal Party interests and it's good for PR. Xi clearly wants to govern with a more autocratic style than Hu Jintao's consensus-seeking style which is widely regarded as a failure on the policy level. He needs a weapon to root out and and cow the obstructionist Party-State interest groups that paralyzed the Hu administration. Everyone is corrupt, which makes an anti-corruption campaign the perfect weapon. Xi is smart to associate himself with this tactic so that those who oppose him are not only risking his wrath, internal party anti-corruption attacks, but also getting on the wrong side of popular opinion which really hates official corruption.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know how people are disconnected from their kids and think they speak a different language than them? That's what's going on in China, except they are literally being taught a different language. The culture is changing, but people tend to forget that the sheer size of China itself dominates the external influences and they turn it over into their own products before its really taken home. For many, learning English is an in one ear out the other because it is never practiced, but the desire of many to practice is what is changing the culture. People in their thirties are actively trying to learn. In most other countries I've seen if you haven't learned a new language by thirty you've probably given up hope.

The government is changing incredibly fast as well. Even in the national newspapers you see articles being critical of Mao. A few years ago that was unheard of. The people here aren't stupid, they all know what is going on. Most just feel helpless.

What most people I've met struggle with is that moving around China is not an easy task, however, it is almost a requirement if they ever want to consider economic mobility. They will work the same job at the same pay rate until they die unless they pick up everything and move around. That is something that proficiency in English can give and is why you are seeing it looked at. Of course there are people learning other languages and cultures too, but it is English they are all focused on. There was a national article a few weeks ago about the opportunities people have learning eastern european languages because the lines for study abroad programs there are shorter.

The smog national government article? Yes, that was on all of their comedy sites. They know full well what is happening. Beijing dicked over Sinopec recently because they didn't meet specs. The rest of the world still wishes they'd take responsibility and up their specs on air emissions already, but they aren't hopeless. The US wasn't much different in the 70s from every account I've ever heard.

I don't see the culture here being exported until they really begin to innovate on their own. There is far too much construction and change going on here for home grown innovators to really stay. So many are just too busy trying to play catch-up. There is so much work to get done and not enough time for most to just sit around and think. Japan was a different case post war and I don't consider it a fair comparison.

I must say I didn't quite expect to get so many requests for places to buy milk from the US for their kids, but it keeps happening on a weekly basis. Man they are paranoid about the milk here.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah but Xi Jinping seems to have really latched onto this corruption thing. It's not a bad plan; it serves both Xi's internal Party interests and it's good for PR. Xi clearly wants to govern with a more autocratic style than Hu Jintao's consensus-seeking style which is widely regarded as a failure on the policy level. He needs a weapon to root out and and cow the obstructionist Party-State interest groups that paralyzed the Hu administration. Everyone is corrupt, which makes an anti-corruption campaign the perfect weapon. Xi is smart to associate himself with this tactic so that those who oppose him are not only risking his wrath, internal party anti-corruption attacks, but also getting on the wrong side of popular opinion which really hates official corruption.

There was a paper which would possibly explain this behavior about corruption/anticorruption efforts in autocratic states. In fact, it even has a passage specifically talking about China, suggesting that the destruction of Communist ideology is both the cause of the increased corruption and part of the reason why recently there have been efforts made to clamp down on it.

It's an interesting read even if you don't end up agreeing with it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Did any of the plebs talk to him? Would anyone have the guts to say anything that's on their mind, even if it's just talking about their own personal problems and not anything directly against the government?

JollyPubJerk posted:

What most people I've met struggle with is that moving around China is not an easy task, however, it is almost a requirement if they ever want to consider economic mobility. They will work the same job at the same pay rate until they die unless they pick up everything and move around.

Yet another way that China is like the US.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Did any of the plebs talk to him? Would anyone have the guts to say anything that's on their mind, even if it's just talking about their own personal problems and not anything directly against the government?

I mean no, this isn't really true at all, not compared to other countries at least.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/chinese-official-soil-pollution-hurts-farming-21365375

quote:

More than 8 million acres of China's farmland is too polluted with heavy metals and other chemicals to use for growing food, a Cabinet official said Monday, highlighting a problem that is causing growing public concern.

The threat from pollution to China's food supply has been overshadowed by public alarm at smog and water contamination but is gaining attention following scandals over tainted rice and other crops. The government triggered complaints in February when it refused to release results of a nationwide survey of soil pollution, declaring them a state secret.

The figure given at a news conference by Wang Shiyuan, a deputy minister of the Ministry of Land and Resources, would be about 2 percent of China's 337 million acres of arable land.

Some scientists have given higher estimates of as much as 60 million acres, or one-fifth of the total, though it is unclear how much of that would be too badly contaminated for farming.

quote:

In February, the newspaper Nanfang Daily reported tens of thousands of tons of cadmium-tainted rice was sold to noodle makers in southern China from 2009 to this year. It said government inspectors declared it fit only for production of non-food goods such as industrial alcohol but a trader sold most of the rice to food processors anyway.

Why do I have a feeling it's much worse than noted, and this doesn't cover the dust bowl areas either.

Going to be some serious health problems in a few years.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sincx posted:

This is just unbelievable.

When did international diplomacy descend into literal middle-school name calling?

http://qz.com/162693/a-harry-potter-loving-chinese-diplomat-claims-japan-is-like-voldemort/

Shortly after it was invented, but now it's out in the open :downs:

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

sincx posted:

This is just unbelievable.

When did international diplomacy descend into literal middle-school name calling?

http://qz.com/162693/a-harry-potter-loving-chinese-diplomat-claims-japan-is-like-voldemort/

Citing or alluding to august literary/philosophical works is common enough in Chinese (and is very common in pieces like these that argue in support of the official government line), so, to look at this charitably, it's a typical case of using a rhetorical device that sounds reasonable in one language and silly in another.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm pretty sure alluding to significant works of literature is common in English too. It's the choice of a recent children's book that makes it silly.

Even an old children's book would have worked if they were trying to make a familiar reference or imply that the situation is childishly clear-cut, but Harry Potter is arguably just too recent to not be ridiculous. Especially when they go into way more detail than the average adult knows about Harry Potter. That and/or the pre-existing image of Chinese officials makes it harder for them to do stuff like that witout people just assuming they're being unironically dumb and ignorant of other cultures.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 6, 2014

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Run Run Shaw is dead, at 106. Green eyed women the world over breathe a sigh of relief.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

VideoTapir posted:

Lol. This is...not accurate at all. Most Americans move multiple times in their lives, often over distances of 100s/1000s of miles.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/migration/about/cal-mig-exp.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Lol. This is...not accurate at all. Most Americans move multiple times in their lives, often over distances of 100s/1000s of miles.

I didn't say that Americans DON'T move. They have to move if they want to advance. Stuck in a dead end service job, you got an education and now want to start a new career? You've probably got to move. Want to advance in your current career? Your current employer is probably never going to promote you or give you a big raise...if you don't live in some hot spot for your industry, you've got to move.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
No, see the difference is that the United States government doesn't forbid you from changing your residence, going to schools in a place other than the place you were born, deny medical treatment* to people living outside of their home city, etc. I mean hukou is a bit more complicated than that and there are ways of changing it (if you're already somewhat powerful, or if you want to move out of the cities for some reason) but based on your post I am guessing that you haven't heard of this system at all so please read up on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou_system

*Well we just deny medical treatment to all of the poor :suicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hitension posted:

No, see the difference is that the United States government doesn't forbid you from changing your residence, going to schools in a place other than the place you were born, deny medical treatment* to people living outside of their home city, etc. I mean hukou is a bit more complicated than that and there are ways of changing it (if you're already somewhat powerful, or if you want to move out of the cities for some reason) but based on your post I am guessing that you haven't heard of this system at all so please read up on it?

From what I've read about the hukou system as long as you're not doing rural -> urban migration (or the other way I guess but no one does that) it's not that hard to switch your hukou unless you're trying to go to somewhere like Beijing.

Also a lot of the rural -> urban migrants behave similarly to the Mexican immigrants in the US, i.e. they work for a few months in the urban area and then head home to work on their fields or whatever. The local authorities don't really mind because it's cheap labor and they can still evict anyone whenever they want.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Going through the bureaucracy is a nightmare and switching any kind of legal permit takes forever. Well there are a few chances in life to change your hukou but from the top of my head that usually involves getting a master's degree and finding a job.

The hukou comes back to haunt you in your life. When you want to get married, register your kid, or take your university entrance exams you have to go back to your registered city.

The legacy system is a pain in the rear end and stories of people flying multiple times to the registered hukou office are very common. Or people express courier the physical permit to their parents and have the parents deal with the hukou office.

There are a few migrant worker sweeps from time to time to make some sort of show. But local governments really don't give a drat and see them as cheap labour. The origin of your hukou really doesn't matter when you are looking for a job though.

Your kids can still go to local schools and get medical care. Hospitals in China make money from bogus diagnosis and drug sales anyways. Besides higher education placement, marriage and a few rare (but somewhat crucial) moments in life, nobody cares about your hukou.

I don't even have a hukou and my life in China in general is more expensive and inconvenient. It's like not having a social security number and that banks/trains/hospitals/customs/etc have trouble registering me.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Song Binbin came out and apologized for the Cultural Revolution. Surprised that was allowed to be reported in the news.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/former-chinese-red-guard-apologizes-for-1966-killing/article16318163/

Didn't know what thread to put this in, so put it here.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Uyghur professor Ilham Tohti has been detained by police, with his apartment searched and a number of his (Uyghur) students disappeared as well. Earlier this week Xi called for a new focus in how Beijing handles Xinjiang, and it seems like this new focus is going to be "the same, but even shittier." Up until recently Ilham was an example of how China does occasionally tolerate extremely mild-mannered critics, but now he's an example of a darker turn in how the PRC handles minority issues.

Global Times seems pretty rah-rah and gung-ho about this, and the arrest was apparently made by Xinjiang police working in Beijing with the cooperation of local authorities, so there's a good chance that the decision to shut him up was made at a reasonably high level. Welcome to the newly refocused mafia state, everyone!

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/838112.shtml#.Utl-lqgk1kN

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
"English readers are probably unaware of the smallness of the established salaries of provincial magnates. They will scarcely credit that the Viceroy of, say, Canton, ruling a country with a population larger than that of Great Britain, is allowed at his legal salary the paltry sum of 60 pounds sterling a year; so that, in order to live and maintain himself in office, accumulating fabulous riches the while, he resorts to extortion and the selling of justice.

So-called education and the results of examinations are the one means of obtaining official notice. Granted that a young scholar gains distinction, he proceeds to seek public employment, and, by bribing the Peking authorities, an official post is hoped for.

Once obtained, as he cannot live on his salary, perhaps he even pays so much annually for his post, license to squeeze is the result, and the man must be stupid indeed who cannot, when backed up by Government, make himself rich enough to buy a still higher post in a few years.

With advancement comes increased license and additional facility for self-enrichment, so that the cleverest 'squeezer' ultimately can obtain money enough to purchase the highest positions.

This official thief, with his mind warped by his mode of life, is the ultimate authority in all matters of social, political and criminal life. It is a feudal system, an imperium in imperio, an unjust autocracy, which thrives by its own rottenness. But this system of fattening on the public vitals - the selling of power - is the chief means by which the Manchu dynasty continues to exist.

With this legalized corruption stamped as the highest ideal of government, who can wonder at the strong undercurrent of dissatisfaction among the people?"

-Sun Yat-sen in a book published in 1912

Plus ca change, am I right?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sincx posted:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I wonder if this post was made with any irony or just a thorough lack of French reading ability.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

From what I've read about the hukou system as long as you're not doing rural -> urban migration (or the other way I guess but no one does that) it's not that hard to switch your hukou unless you're trying to go to somewhere like Beijing.

Also a lot of the rural -> urban migrants behave similarly to the Mexican immigrants in the US, i.e. they work for a few months in the urban area and then head home to work on their fields or whatever. The local authorities don't really mind because it's cheap labor and they can still evict anyone whenever they want.

It's harder than you'd think. I think in some ironic thing my company that employs a lot of foreigners legally has a number of iffy Chinese employees. I just moved and mentioned how I had to register at the police station to some coworkers who mentioned they never registered cause they're technically illegally working in our city (Also if you're from another town you have to register at a police station, in your own country/province!!). These are people with professional degrees and stuff, not nongmingong folks.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Had my first round Skype interview for the NET job Friday. I won't know until later this week, but it's looking likely that I'll be invited to interview in New York come this March.

Still debating whether it's worth the expense, because my qualifications aren't that hot. I only have a year's teaching experience (secondary school, and I'm applying to teach primary) and a TEFL certificate with no teacher qualification from the US. And given how much NETs are supposed to make I'm guessing that they can afford to be picky. And interviewing is not something I'm good at. Any advice?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Donraj posted:

Had my first round Skype interview for the NET job Friday. I won't know until later this week, but it's looking likely that I'll be invited to interview in New York come this March.

Still debating whether it's worth the expense, because my qualifications aren't that hot. I only have a year's teaching experience (secondary school, and I'm applying to teach primary) and a TEFL certificate with no teacher qualification from the US. And given how much NETs are supposed to make I'm guessing that they can afford to be picky. And interviewing is not something I'm good at. Any advice?

You'd be surprised how many bad interviews they get. Are you in the US now? Or in China? You can interview in HK if you let them know.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

synertia posted:

You'd be surprised how many bad interviews they get. Are you in the US now? Or in China? You can interview in HK if you let them know.

Yeah, I'm in Louisiana right now, hopefully finally getting my master's degree in May.

Also crap, meant to post this in the Tourism and Travel thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

synertia posted:

You can interview in HK if you let them know.

Oh good, I couldn't get a straight answer about that. It seemed really stupid that they wouldn't allow it for people already living in Asia but it wouldn't have been the first really stupid YOU MUST FOLLOW THE RULES PRECISELY thing I'd ever encountered.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh good, I couldn't get a straight answer about that. It seemed really stupid that they wouldn't allow it for people already living in Asia but it wouldn't have been the first really stupid YOU MUST FOLLOW THE RULES PRECISELY thing I'd ever encountered.

There's a list of venues on the NET application form. The North American ones are listed as "pending," but apparently they had enough to justify it this year.

The whole thing is being handled by some agency called Footprints Recruiting. I sent my application directly to the Hong Kong Education Bureau, but they forwarded it to them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just quote everything and move this job talk to the other thread.

SCMP news! Remember that horrible case of abuse against the domestic helper? Well the employer tried fleeing the country and got stopped by HK immigration.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1409690/ex-boss-tortured-domestic-worker-arrested-trying-board-thailand

quote:

A woman accused of wounding two Indonesian domestic helpers - including one who says she suffered prolonged torture - was in police custody last night after being arrested at the airport.

Lo Wan-tung, 44, was intercepted at the Immigration Department counter as she sought to take a flight to Thailand at about 4pm yesterday.

The arrest came amid widespread outrage at the alleged treatment of Erwiana Sulistyaningsih, who is recovering in hospital in Java from multiple injuries. Erwiana said she was "very happy" to learn of the arrest.

Watch: Hong Kong police arrest employer of 'tortured' Indonesian maid

Senior Inspector Chan Wai-man said Lo was held after another Indonesian maid, Susi, 31, complained that Lo had also beaten her. The case, classified as wounding, has been combined with the case of Erwiana.

Chan said Lo, accompanied by a female friend, looked calm when immigration officers stopped her. He said the housewife had no record of criminal charges or mental illness.

Hours after the arrest, four crime-squad officers arrived in Sragen city, Java, where Erwiana is in hospital. The investigation team, led by Chief Inspector Chung Chi-ming of Kwun Tong district crime squad, left for Indonesia with two labour officers and three consulate staff yesterday.

Her Indonesian doctor said she was unable to walk and had been beaten on the head for at least six months.

A police spokesman said officers had talked to Erwiana, 23, and that she had filed a report. She was willing to return to Hong Kong to testify, he said, and would make a statement today. Her family said she planned to return to sue the government.

"Yes, definitely we will continue to press for a lawsuit," her father, Rohmad Saputro, said. "We wanted the government to protect Erwiana."

Lo, wearing sunglasses under a hood, was taken from the airport police station on Lantau to Tseung Kwan O police station at about 7.45pm. She was still being questioned last night.

Lo, her husband and two teenage children were understood to have moved out of their flat at Beverly Gardens in Tseung Kwan O after the alleged torture came to light on January 12. Susi told police on Sunday she was abused in a Tai Kok Tsui flat between April 2010 and March 2011.

Migrant workers groups want a change in the rules governing foreign maids, including one that they live with their employers. Labour minister Matthew Cheung Kin-chung has rejected calls to abolish the live-in rule. But Commissioner for Labour Cheuk Wing-hing said changes were being considered to the licences of maid agencies requiring them to meet the helpers regularly to check their conditions.

Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said Hong Kong would not tolerate physical violence or psychological harm to anyone.

2 HK police officers are also flying into Indonesia to interview the victim and gather evidence.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

hitension posted:

Wow, I never knew about this. The impact on rural areas makes it look very similar to some of the Jim Crow/"Separate but Equal" laws.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Except it affects a majority of people rather than a minority.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, in news that should surprise no-one, families of top Chinese leaders have been caught with offshore bank accounts.
http://www.voanews.com/content/report-families-of-top-chinese-leaders-concealing-riches-overseas/1835468.html

quote:

An investigation by a U.S.-based journalism group suggests the close relatives of China's top leaders, including President Xi Jinping, have set up offshore companies to hide their massive wealth.

The report released Wednesday by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists was based on information from 2.5 million leaked documents showing the identities of the owners of overseas businesses and trusts.

President Xi's brother-in-law and former Premier Wen Jiabao's son were among those named. Close relatives of ex-President Hu Jintao, former Premier Li Peng and late leader Deng Xiaoping were also mentioned as having overseas holdings.

The New York Times and Bloomberg in 2012 published reports saying Mr. Xi's and Mr. Wen's families had accumulated massive fortunes. Beijing promptly blocked the news outlets' websites in China in response.

This has led promptly to China blocking multiple websites who reported on the matter. I am totally surprised.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-blocks-cbc-website-after-story-about-offshore-accounts-1.2507261

(This has NOTHING to do with most of the internet in China being routed through a house in the middle of the US the other day.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...eyenne-wyoming/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How can they pay for a liaoning carrier model full of moutai if they don't skim a little off the top and hide it offshore?

土豪.jpg

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's hilarious that that ex-Ukrainian rust bucket inspires pride in some Chinese. Then again I've heard stories about how wonderful Beijing is from people who've never been to Beijing.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's hilarious that that ex-Ukrainian rust bucket inspires pride in some Chinese. Then again I've heard stories about how wonderful Beijing is from people who've never been to Beijing.

Great powers have ships they can land aircraft on.

China now has one. Therefore, great power and regional superpower.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Fojar38 posted:

Great powers have ships they can land aircraft on.

China now has one. Therefore, great power and regional superpower.

Just like other great powers Thailand and Italy

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Just like other great powers Thailand and Italy

Well come on, China spent decades not even in Italy status so even if it's reached parity with Italy that's still something to be proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chinese friends have also been confused about why the Chinese and Russian space capsules were identical (copied) in Gravity and thought eenie-meenie-minie-mo was a racist slur so idk.