Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Jedit posted:

Grant Morrison's output is best summed up in his book Supergods. It is a very good history of comic writing right up to the point where his career takes off, at which point it turns into "These famous guys did some stuff. Then I took a bunch of drugs and redefined the genre". That isn't to say he can't write good stuff - I will personally smite anyone who says WE3 or Joe the Barbarian suck - but he is very much better when he isn't allowed to carry on.

I've always dug him.

I absolutely loved The Filth. Thing's dense and loopy and eventually you got to just role with it, but I found it to be genius on an aeroplane from OKC to NY.

I never understood his seeming contempt and dislike for Alan Moore that he expressed in Supergods. It almost came across like cognitive dissonance, his blaming Moore from turning comics from Day Glo to dusky concrete grey. Not only is it not true, his own worked was built on a street the other paved in a way that seems so obvious.

How's Saga? How is it really? Should I start reading it?

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

God Of Paradise posted:

How's Saga? How is it really? Should I start reading it?

Saga is one of the best books currently being published in both art and writing. Get it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Saga is currently one of my favorite books, but they're taking their sweet-rear end time between trades. :smith:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Saga is excellent and has it's own excellent thread filled with Saga goodness.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

God Of Paradise posted:

I absolutely love Garth Ennis. Yes, he is hit and miss, but with stories like Dangerous Habits, Welcome Back Frank, Punisher Born, and Preacher: All In The Family, it's hard to argue that he's a bad writer. After Moore kind of invented the audience for Vertigo style comics, I'd argue that Ennis was the best man they had take over the reigns.

Maybe I'm 13 going on 40, but I'd take Ennis over Gaiman, Ellis, Milligan, Morrison, Delano, or any of the other writers who gained their fame from the Vertigo imprint in it's heyday.

I think Ennis is great. He really does capture humanity well, mainly in how fragile and easy to break people are. And I don't mean that in an angsty way, more of a tragic way.

I see why some people dislike him, though I think part of that may be a bit of self-loathing as it reminds them of when they were younger and angrier and it brings back uncomfortable memories of "Ugh I was such a dumbass teenager."

His Punisher/Fury work is still some of the best writing in the past decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mister Roboto posted:

I see why some people dislike him, though I think part of that may be a bit of self-loathing as it reminds them of when they were younger and angrier and it brings back uncomfortable memories of "Ugh I was such a dumbass teenager."

Nah, man, Ellis reminds me of being a dumb teen. Ennis reminds me of the guys in my grade who beat up the skinny kid with Tourette's so bad that he missed a week of school.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Dude!
Ennis shows monstrosities, but don't accuse him of siding with the monsters.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Saga is currently one of my favorite books, but they're taking their sweet-rear end time between trades. :smith:

There's a two-three month break after each story arc so Staples can catch up and we get to keep a single, wonderful artist for the entire book. As far as I know, the new trade comes out a week or two the next arc starts in singles so people can catch up.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, man, Ellis reminds me of being a dumb teen. Ennis reminds me of the guys in my grade who beat up the skinny kid with Tourette's so bad that he missed a week of school.

Is anyone able to lay out the case against Warren Ellis clearly? A bunch of people in this thread have been dismissing him casually, as a given, but--while I can see how Ellis could *conceivably* remind one of being an angry teen/young adult, I *can't* see who else in mainstream or "big indie" comics you'd be reading who's that much more mature or that much better at writing.

Though maybe I've lucked out in simply not reading many bad Ellis stories. I'm basing this on Transmet, Orbiter, Stormwatch/The Authority, Red, Iron Man Extremis. I did read Endless Wartime and it was pretty uninspired, but mostly because it felt like Ellis was bored. edit: Oh yeah, and Nextwave was pretty fun. edit2: oh MAN, and Planetary. Right. THAT was great.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 20, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ellis at his best is Morrison without a stick up his rear end. I'll admit I haven't read the majority of his work, but pretty much everything I have read by him I've loved. Supergod, newuniversal, Nextwave, his Thunderbolts run, Doom 2099, Transmetropolitan, etc.

He hasn't really done anything super worthwhile as of late, though.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ellis is really inconsistent, and he isn't what everyone wants, but he isn't like Millar or Loeb, where folks will think les of you for looking him.
Having said that, I like Transmet too, but a lot of it is loud dumb teen. If you think a bowel disruptor gun is some kind of art or subtlety, then yeah, maybe you do have horrible opinions.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
What's wrong with enjoying things that are ridiculous and teenage sometimes?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

God Of Paradise posted:

You raise an interesting point, particularly on a forum whose population is rapidly-aging nerds reaching 30+...the amount of crossover with BSS and games threads about how every game was better in 1997 is interesting.

I wonder if Ennis ever looks back on his stuff and says that? "I was so young/dumb" etc.?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

onefish posted:

Is anyone able to lay out the case against Warren Ellis clearly? A bunch of people in this thread have been dismissing him casually, as a given, but--while I can see how Ellis could *conceivably* remind one of being an angry teen/young adult, I *can't* see who else in mainstream or "big indie" comics you'd be reading who's that much more mature or that much better at writing.

Warren Ellis is the guy who after Heath Ledger's untimely death posted a rant to his mailing list about what a oval office Ledger had been to kill himself knowing that his young daughter would find the body. A number of people complained as Ellis hadn't cared to find out that Ledger's daughter wasn't there, and didn't bother waiting for the pathology report to judge it suicide (the verdict was accidental overdose). Ellis's response was not a retraction - instead he claimed that he'd been joking and his fans were too stupid to realise it. Ellis will never again receive a penny of my money.

Also, Planetary is the most massively overrated book of all time.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

God Of Paradise posted:

Because this is a forum of ultra progressive non-childish adults with only the very best opinions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

What the hell? Seriously, dude, is any writer so bad that you have to equate them with poo poo like this?

"Man, Ennis is such a bad writer, I'll be he wouldn't feel bad at all about beating up people with speech impediments."

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 20, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What the hell? Seriously, dude, is any writer so bad that you have to equate them with poo poo like this?

"Man, Ennis is such a bad writer, I'll be he wouldn't feel bad at all about beating up people with speech impediments."

You do realise that one of the main butts in Preacher was an unpopular skinny kid with a major speech impediment?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

You do realise that one of the main butts in Preacher was an unpopular skinny kid with a major speech impediment?

(1) Ennis clearly had a lot of affection for Arseface as a character and acting like the character was simply a one-note joke once again smacks of skimming Preacher instead of actually reading it (2) equating tasteless humor in a work of fiction with physical assault to the point of hospitalization in real life is incredibly loaded and unfair criticism.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I don't tend to like Ennis's work as I am a gigantic care bear but, I have gone to his panels and he seems thoughtful and downright kindly as a person.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Warren Ellis is the guy who after Heath Ledger's untimely death posted a rant to his mailing list about what a oval office Ledger had been to kill himself knowing that his young daughter would find the body. A number of people complained as Ellis hadn't cared to find out that Ledger's daughter wasn't there, and didn't bother waiting for the pathology report to judge it suicide (the verdict was accidental overdose). Ellis's response was not a retraction - instead he claimed that he'd been joking and his fans were too stupid to realise it. Ellis will never again receive a penny of my money.

Also, Planetary is the most massively overrated book of all time.

I find in general talented people to be stuck up egotistical arseholes, and that is why listening to them talk about anything outside of their medium is rather annoying. That being said Planetary is amazing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Who, over the course of the series, lost his abusive dad, became a millionaire, lost it all, became a country-roads vigilante, and eventually found happiness in a small town?

He wasn't a butt, he was just a typical Ennis character whose life goes through periods of sucking and sucking even more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Who, over the course of the series, lost his abusive dad, became a millionaire, lost it all, became a country-roads vigilante, and eventually found happiness in a small town?

He wasn't a butt, he was just a typical Ennis character whose life goes through periods of sucking and sucking even more.

No, he was a butt. He's introduced as the punchline of a joke, when Hugo Root kills himself there's a punchline, when he shows up as the motorcycle vigilante it's mid-joke and he acts like a joke, when he's taken to New Orleans he's the butt of a joke about shagging with a bag over his head, his entire pop career is an endless joke about his naivete and stupidity, and when he finishes up in Salvation it's another joke. Then you get his backstory in the side issue, and he's pretty much painted as someone who is a loser because they don't want to fit in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was referring to their work's respective tones, not the content of their characters. Ennis is a mean-rear end writer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Then you get his backstory in the side issue, and he's pretty much painted as someone who is a loser because they don't want to fit in.

...if that's what you get out of a story about a kid who is emotionally and physically abused his whole life until he's driven to suicide, I don't know what to tell you.

Lurdiak posted:

I was referring to their work's respective tones, not the content of their characters. Ennis is a mean-rear end writer.

Ah, well in that sense I agree with you, although it still seems to me like a weirdly loaded way to put it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

...if that's what you get out of a story about a kid who is emotionally and physically abused his whole life until he's driven to suicide, I don't know what to tell you.

Some people are deliberately misinterpreting things to paint their hated writers into terrible people. At this rate people will say they can tell from the writing of Ennis/Ellis/Moore that they run over kids (orphans (with terminal diseases) ) with their car while laughing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Read the scene after he shot himself and Pube's sister comes to visit him in the hospital. It's pure victim blaming.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

onefish posted:

Is anyone able to lay out the case against Warren Ellis clearly?

The major case against the man is this: you want to give the man some free reign because he can come up with excellent ideas, but he either had no filter and developed one later, or needs one (jury is still out on where to put the blame for Ruins, and his first novel was atrocious). Meanwhile, he's got a massive trail of unfinished works in his wake, corporate and creator-owned alike, because he just... gets bored, and wanders on to something else. (The "my hard drive broke" excuse only works so many times before you go "BUY A BACKUP".)

Getting excited for a Warren Ellis anything at this point is basically a game of tempered expectations. Pray that it's a miniseries and doesn't fly off the rails, or, if you're real patient, wait and see if it ever hits trades.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Huge Unwritten sale on Comixology. I assume that book is good, since it's the pretty much only Vertigo title people still talk about in this thread? Should I get it even if I think Harry Potter is a bunch of horseshit?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Huge Unwritten sale on Comixology. I assume that book is good, since it's the pretty much only Vertigo title people still talk about in this thread? Should I get it even if I think Harry Potter is a bunch of horseshit?

If you think Harry Potter is a bunch of horseshit you should buy two copies.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
For real. I enjoyed Harry Potter immensely and love Unwritten more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Read the scene after he shot himself and Pube's sister comes to visit him in the hospital. It's pure victim blaming.

A grieving fictional character refusing to accept or condone suicide is not the same thing as victim blaming, and with the rest of the issue Ennis gives us plenty of reason to empathize with him an understand why he did it, but like I said: if that's what you took away from that comic, I really don't know what to tell you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

Unwritten is a book that can appeal to those who love Harry Potter or who hate Harry Potter. Unwritten actually is a book that can appeal to anyone because it is awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

If the sale includes the recent Fables crossover, skip those issues.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I realize how redundant this always sounds but drat, Unwritten Apocalypse #1. That was one big hefty helping of :psyboom:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

(1) Ennis clearly had a lot of affection for Arseface as a character and acting like the character was simply a one-note joke once again smacks of skimming Preacher instead of actually reading it (2) equating tasteless humor in a work of fiction with physical assault to the point of hospitalization in real life is incredibly loaded and unfair criticism.

Arseface is the only character who just gets a happy ending without having to confront how awful and lovely life is.Everyone else has to face the fact that at least some of their poo poo is their own making, Arseface just kinda blunders onward as the physical embodiment of ignorance being bliss despite life making GBS threads on him nonstop from the first arc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I grabbed all of The Unwritten from that comixology sale and have been reading through it but I feel like it's really dense and full of neat literary references I'm missing. Is there like a blog or something that covers little things about the series I might have missed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Len posted:

I grabbed all of The Unwritten from that comixology sale and have been reading through it but I feel like it's really dense and full of neat literary references I'm missing. Is there like a blog or something that covers little things about the series I might have missed?

Yes, it's called a Masters in English. You don't need to get all the references to understand the story, though, and in some cases it will actually spoil things (the obvious one being that Lizzie Hexam is not what she seems).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shrdlu gets better right? :ohdear::smith:

Edit: I'm still holding onto the hope he gets better. Is the Fables crossover as bad as I hear it is? I just got to it.

Len fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's pointless. But you should just read the last issue of the crossover because the way it ends is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's pointless. But you should just read the last issue of the crossover because the way it ends is great.

Man. Fables got WEIRD since I stopped reading.

• Locked thread