Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Dead thread needs reviving, have some HOM[R]E FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Just did this for someone. :v:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

A bunch of the critters I drew over the holidays. I'm getting a feel for body layouts that look plausible and that makes for nicely polished sprites.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Really dig those designs, you managed to avoid all the normal cliche sci-fi crap and make some pretty awesome and interesting looking things. I like how the big one and those two blue guys look related. My favorite is that weird slug monster.

10/10 would shoot in a dark hallway.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thanks. I've been trying to get imaginative designs worked out. A major source of inspiration recently has been the work Brandon Graham and Simon Roy have done on the rebooted comic Prophet. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some amazing stories and illustrations.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Here's a boss animation from a game I've been working on for a while.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is that animated through code? The electricity and jelly wobble I mean.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Scut posted:

Is that animated through code? The electricity and jelly wobble I mean.

Electricity is by hand.

I didn't use code for the wobble either, but there's a trick to doing that:
http://pixosprout.tumblr.com/post/54334374870/a-short-guide-on-how-i-did-the-water-effect-for

Mine is a large-scale use of that effect. It could have been smoother if I didn't have to squeeze the effect into 12 frames, but I didn't want to use up too much atlas space. If you want something both big and smoothly flowing yet don't have a lot of resource space I'd recommend doing it in code if you know how. Actually, if anyone knows how to do that effect to a static piece of art in Unity I'd like to know the secret!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Cool! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I was asked to do a title screen for a Western game in the style of the Wolfenstein 3D title screen. Here are some progress shots:

I may still do some more detail work on it, but I'm burned out for tonight.

edit: for comparison:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nice! I love the rock's palette.

Hang on there a second I have to back up the pixel dump truck:

I'm having fun with my newer base.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really like the style of your initial sketch Internet Janitor; somebody's got art skills!

The pixel work is fantastic too, the style and expression carries over from the sketch even though it has to be simplified a little. Perspective and lighting are spot on.

The wolf3d reference is pretty sweet.

I know what game this is for. :)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nice! Just throw a cast shadow off the characters and you are good to go!

Shoehead, your characters are getting more natural poses. Looking good.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing

Shoehead posted:

Nice! I love the rock's palette.

Hang on there a second I have to back up the pixel dump truck:

I'm having fun with my newer base.

I really like these! They remind me a lot of Earthbound, but higher resolution.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
*whoops, double post*

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Hey dudes. I'm looking to hire (or work with) a pixel artist to do some fighting game style backgrounds for my game. Does anyone have any portfolios or know of anyone who has some relevant work I can have a look at? This is what the game looks like currently.

Edit: This came up in the Making Games thread but I'm probably gonna get someone to redo the sprites as well, but I'm primarily looking for someone who can do shithot backgrounds.

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 16, 2014

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

HelixFox posted:

Edit: This came up in the Making Games thread but I'm probably gonna get someone to redo the sprites as well, but I'm primarily looking for someone who can do shithot backgrounds.

Please use a pixel font thank you and good day.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

More pixels. This time I was asked to redraw the HUD player portrait.

Original:

New:

And the full Doomguy treatment:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

That's fantastic, Internet Janitor. I need to do more pixels.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Internet Janitor posted:

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

More pixels. This time I was asked to redraw the HUD player portrait.

Original:

New:

And the full Doomguy treatment:

I love your recreation a lot, and it offers way more functional versatility, but the original is just so cute and charming. Ahhhhh

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I did kinda like the earlier simplistic style, but everything else in the game is getting more detailed and polished and it just started to look out of place.

While I'm posting, here are two earlier revisions of the gunslinger girl's sprites!

The first revision and its doomguy treatment:

A "T-pose" which was meant to be adapted into a 3d model at one point:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

I did kinda like the earlier simplistic style, but everything else in the game is getting more detailed and polished and it just started to look out of place.

While I'm posting, here are two earlier revisions of the gunslinger girl's sprites!

Internet Janitor posted:

I'm in love, sir.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So SNK has put a neat character viewer up on their website: http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/gallery/character/index.php

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Something I did last night as some fluff for a forums game. Think it turned out very well, although I've never had the discipline to spend the extra hours cleaning up every pixel.

Click it for the big viewinz

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 20, 2014

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Great style, doesn't need cleaning up at all. There's a term for this sort of non anti-aliased drawing in paint programs with small palettes that is escaping me now. The japanese seem to do it a lot.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
Hi thread! I haven't done any pixel art in a long while but checking out this thread inspired me to bust out a quick little dragon dude in graphicsgale:

actual size:

300%:

Trying to stick with a limited color palette.. it's a WIP that I don't know that I'll actually finish. Any advice is welcome! :shobon:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Looks neat! The dithering clashes with the scale texture you've added, so instead of using a basic checkerboard dithering make it more irregular and similar to the scales, like that your shading adds to the scale texture you're developing. The contrast in the purple is skewed, the two lighter colors are very close and the dark color is really dark in comparison, you should darken the middle shade.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Something I did last night as some fluff for a forums game. Think it turned out very well, although I've never had the discipline to spend the extra hours cleaning up every pixel.

Click it for the big viewinz

That's gorgeous; feels sort of MSPA, in a good way. I'd love to see a narrative illustrated by you.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Seeing frankiesmileshow make barkley 2 guys today made me want to play around with graphicsgale

click for not blurry

it's pretty fun, any critiques though or should I try the rest of the band?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scut posted:

Great style, doesn't need cleaning up at all. There's a term for this sort of non anti-aliased drawing in paint programs with small palettes that is escaping me now. The japanese seem to do it a lot.

Oekaki

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Oooh, I like pixel art. I do a lot of 8-colour PC88 style artwork:

A quick little title-style GIF

Cityscape

High resolution character art of a girl selling bellybutton candies

Animated sprite from one of my PC-8801/9801 tribute games

The girl with the sword in her natual habitat: a game

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

Can Of Worms posted:

Looks neat! The dithering clashes with the scale texture you've added, so instead of using a basic checkerboard dithering make it more irregular and similar to the scales, like that your shading adds to the scale texture you're developing. The contrast in the purple is skewed, the two lighter colors are very close and the dark color is really dark in comparison, you should darken the middle shade.

Ah yeah I started doing the scales after I had done the dithered shading, mean to fix that if I go back and do more.. thanks for the advice :)

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Decided to have a little fun with a project I'm working on.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
Got in a mood to draw some surreal stuff and a tileset after playing Yume Nikki. I feel like I definitely could have pushed the shading a lot more on the inner ear bits, but they were kinda a clusterfuck. They're not even anatomically correct, so whatever.

The art that everyone has been posting is loving awesome, keep up the good work guys. Maybe one day I can get to you guys' level :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

That was fun :3:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wanted something that combined sleek with bulky.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I love this thread. All y'all own.

Testing new enemy attack patterns. It's becoming a monster of a game.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trestle shoulda been turn-based dude. *shakes head in full knowledge that turn-based games sell far less*

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Scut posted:

Trestle shoulda been turn-based dude. *shakes head in full knowledge that turn-based games sell far less*

I wonder about that. I'm only making it action-based because I want to, but a lot of people seemed really excited about the prospect of a proper follow up to MMBN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

the chaos engine posted:

I wonder about that. I'm only making it action-based because I want to, but a lot of people seemed really excited about the prospect of a proper follow up to MMBN.

I've been following your game and I think you made the right decision. I've never played Mega Man Battle Network, and this kind of frantic action that you've illustrated looks like a lot of fun. I think I wouldn't have the patience for a turn-based strategy game, especially on mobile.