Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

CompeAnansi posted:

So we've been having a problem with G/x ramp being a bit too weak, mostly because it doesn't seem to be able to finish the game. As a result, my playgroup has requested that I add more ramp targets. Here is what I am currently running (I'm only counting creatures that cost 6 or more as ramp targets):

Green:
Primeval Titan
Hornet Queen
Woodfall Primus

Artifact:
Wurmcoil Engine
Myr Battlesphere
Sundering Titan

Any suggestions for additions? I have been pondering adding: Terastadon, Avenger of Zendikar, Pelakka Wurm, and/or Craterhoof Behemoth. I'm mostly looking for green creatures in particular because there is way more competition for artifact fatties than green ones, making it harder for a ramp deck to get them.

EDIT: What about some of the lower cost Eldrazi like Ulamog's Crusher or Artizan of Kozilek as ramp targets?

Thornling is a good ramp target that's not a reanimation target that's good at closing out games. I don't have him in my list currently, but he's always making an appearance now and again. The haste makes him a good topdeck, the trample makes it reliable and the indestructibility makes it robust. If I have an asinine amount of mana, it's one of my favorite duders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

CompeAnansi posted:

So we've been having a problem with G/x ramp being a bit too weak, mostly because it doesn't seem to be able to finish the game. As a result, my playgroup has requested that I add more ramp targets. Here is what I am currently running (I'm only counting creatures that cost 6 or more as ramp targets):

Green:
Primeval Titan
Hornet Queen
Woodfall Primus

Artifact:
Wurmcoil Engine
Myr Battlesphere
Sundering Titan

Any suggestions for additions? I have been pondering adding: Terastadon, Avenger of Zendikar, Pelakka Wurm, and/or Craterhoof Behemoth. I'm mostly looking for green creatures in particular because there is way more competition for artifact fatties than green ones, making it harder for a ramp deck to get them.

EDIT: What about some of the lower cost Eldrazi like Ulamog's Crusher or Artizan of Kozilek as ramp targets?

Do you have enough ramp that is also color fixing, or is your green ramp mostly more green/colorless? With enough color fixing green ramp decks should be able to dip into fatties from any color. E.g. Cultivate, Sakura Tribe Elder, Caryatid, etc.

If you want to directly help out ramp decks to finish the game, you can include cards like Volraths Stronghold or Cavern of Souls.

There are also noncreature finishers that you can include if you haven't already, like Karn Liberated or Garruk Caller of Beasts - the decks that are currently beating up on creature finishers might have a tougher time with big walkers.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 25, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So this is the new multicolor focused cheap cube I've been teching with:

http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/6399

It could be a lot more expensive but we wanted to go with an affordable theme. It's wizard themed with a lot of strong control for all colors. I think right now G/R and R/B have the weakest combo cards but their vanilla access is really strong so they should be fine. I also think you can run a mono color deck if you get the right picks (and splash some friendly dual lands maybe).

I debated putting in some invasion block lairs but those shits are expensive these days for some reason (with a few exceptions the goal was all cards under a dollar).

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 31, 2013

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
No azami or patron wizard, aw. Looks like there aren't really any big dudes so there's probably no chance of playing aggro. Annul? Also you definitely need more nonbasics because it looks really difficult to go even dual colour with all these wedge wizards going around.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

KasaiAisu posted:

No azami or patron wizard, aw. Looks like there aren't really any big dudes so there's probably no chance of playing aggro. Annul? Also you definitely need more nonbasics because it looks really difficult to go even dual colour with all these wedge wizards going around.

Yeah big dudes was an issue we had. We drafted it twice or so and we did see some green aggro come up but it wasn't terribly good. The lands are more of a place holder since I wanted to keep it cheap. My personal version has a lot more lands in it but I happen to have things like full Revised dual land playsets. You could probably go with just playsets of the lands already in there and maybe some lairs. I need some decent cheap beefy aggro choices I guess that is a very valid point. Annul was in because we wanted some artifact removal in blue and it was in my stack of "comedy counter spells no one uses" that I have for funsies.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Well on the topic of artifact removal in blue, I'd prefer Steel Sabotage since that at least does something if it's already resolved. But blue not having answers to artifacts is actually fine, it's a reason to go other colours.

Multicolour budget is going to be really difficult to balance properly. You could maybe run the Flinthoof Boar cycle, Bloodhall Ooze etc. Its important to have cards that can go in multiple decks otherwise every draft will feel the same; Slave of Bolas is wonderful for this because it's very powerful and splashable. I tend to shy away from the wizards with two different colour abilities because they really only go in one deck. If you're only getting one of the abilities then it's usually a "23rd card", which I never like having to do.

I'd also run the slow fetches, including terramorphic and evolving, and maybe some 5 colour lands like city of brass. There should also definitely be some artifact ramp that fixes, like Coalition Relic or Darksteel Ingot.

edit: I took a closer look at the multicoloured cards, found they were mostly just 2 colour, so it's not quite as much of a problem as I originally thought. though I really dont like wings of hope

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 31, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So this is the new multicolor focused cheap cube I've been teching with:

http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/6399

It could be a lot more expensive but we wanted to go with an affordable theme. It's wizard themed with a lot of strong control for all colors. I think right now G/R and R/B have the weakest combo cards but their vanilla access is really strong so they should be fine. I also think you can run a mono color deck if you get the right picks (and splash some friendly dual lands maybe).

I debated putting in some invasion block lairs but those shits are expensive these days for some reason (with a few exceptions the goal was all cards under a dollar).

I didn't look too closely at your color sections, but as someone who made a cheap multicolor cube, a number of your multicolor choices confuse me, specifically Dawnglow Infusion, lack of Firespout and Savage Twister, inclusion of the more marginal guild charms and Dragon charms and a number of Shard choices.

Obviously, your Cube, your rules, but I am curious. You're running rares and fewer multicolor cards than me, but you're still running a number of cards I either cut or never considered.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Just taking an initial look there's a ton of cards I wouldn't ever want to pick in any draft, cube aside.

Healing Salve and Blessed Reversal, for starters. Those aren't 'cube' cards :corsair:.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Why no shadowmage infiltrator?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I do like the inclusion of the Battlemages/Guildmages/Familiars, they fit a multicolor cube pretty much perfectly. However, some of them like Civic Guildmage are probably just too low-powered to run. Consider two-color flashback, kicker, or cycling spells as a replacement - they will fill a similar niche.

I don't like the straight lifegain cards like Martyr of Sands or Scent of Jasmine, and you have a LOT of them. Unless you're recurring them they aren't going to be very good. If you want lifegain, make it incidental lifegain, like Lone Missionary or Kitchen Finks, where you get a reasonable body in addition to the lifegain.

Some cards are really just strange... Presence of the Master? Knighthood with a bunch of really small creatures? Fossil Find? Fog/Holy Day? Lava Spike? Healing Salve? Unless you're purposefully including these cards because they are very low power level, they should be replaced. If you REALLY want those type of effects, you can find them on decent cards - Fog/Holy Day becomes Angelsong/Constant Mists, Healing Salve becomes Bandage, Fossil Find becomes Regrowth.

As others have said your curve is way too low, and your creatures generally too dorky. (Your multicolor section is better than your monocolored sections, generally more useful/playable cards, but you could still do with cutting a few pretty poor cards like Batwing Brume.) I would guess this leads to a lot of games that stall out because no one can go over the top of their opponent.

It's cool that you have a "Wizard" theme, but what's the payoff? I don't see Riptide Laboratory, Voidmage Prodigy, Supreme Inquisitor, or even many tribal cards in general.

As mentioned, you really could use some more fixing - in a multicolor heavy 400 card cube, I wouldn't go below 30 fixing lands, and personally I'd aim for 40. The cycle of M10/Innistrad lands is pretty much a slam dunk, right now they are as cheap as they will ever be since they're all out of Standard. Adding the rest of the Arcane Sanctum cycle makes a lot of sense as well, they are dirt cheap. Just adding those two cycles gets you to 37 lands.

Also, you should really make sure your fixing is as even as possible - right now for instance, you have 4 Azorius-producing lands and only 1Boros-producing land. I know enemy color lands are hard to come by in peasant, but there are easy options out there that you aren't including. Use Gatherer to help you out. E.G. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...a%5D+%5Bpool%5D

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think you misunderstand the idea of building themed cubes. A cube doesn't have to be consistent with the power curve of all MtG, just because a more powerful card exists doesn't mean that it has to be included over another one as long as power curves are internally consistent. The whole basis was to make a fun casual cube that was cheap to build and was focused entirely around the idea of having copies of guildmages, charms, and the one drop multicolor wizards (granger guildmage, shadow guildmage etc). A theme doesn't have to include a payoff. You're confusing a theme with actual tech (one is "emphasis on cards with protection because that
s fun" the other is "I must ensure that my tribal focus cube has viable combo strategy within every tribal option"). The emphasis on color cycles like the scents and martyrs is mainly because those cards are fun and don't see much play outside of obscure combo decks. If I wanted a cube with maximum power curve that built real decks I would either play constructed or pull out my real cube (which btw is a heavily fixed multicolor focused cube with a huge amount of big dollar Ravnica and Lorwyn poo poo in it). There is a reason why people like drafting things like Ravnicube and Mercadian Masques. The real draw of drafts is having a discerning eye and the ability to build good things out of whats dealt to you. In a cube if you build for every card to be the most powerful in every situation you basically excise the best part of drafting from your play experience. I previously addressed the issue with the land fixing. I left it pretty much untouched as a place holder because my physical version of the cube runs a land base that costs about a thousand dollars along with the trilands, lairs, city of brass and other fun stuff. I was more trying to streamline it down to make it easier for someone who doesn't have access to twenty years worth of Magic cards to build. That was really the main goal, a multi focused cube based around old school color staples and split color wizard hijinks. Because at its core MtG is a game about wizards having wizard fights and that was generally what this cube was trying to encompass.

Also because I have a hard on for charms of all kinds and think mechanically they are very varied and interesting when it comes to providing options in draft formats.

Not to jump to the defense of blessed reversal or healing salve, they are very low power cards (although again, this is a generally low powered cube) but I have personally witnessed them win drafts. 3 life can make or break a deck in an environment that is both slightly underpowered and where red is heavy on the burn focus (ah, the halcyon days of drafting 7th edition). If you guys have generally spent your draft time drafting more high power cubes and recent cohesive sets I'd highly recommend getting on your digital format of choice and trying out a Homelands or Homelands/Homelands/Legends draft. Often drafting lower power formats with less card cohesion is more fun (decidedly more casual too, but in my world "draft" and "hard drinking" tend to go hand in hand).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:stare:

I think you are a bit too sensitive. You posted your Cube and we critiqued it. Responding to critiques of your Cube with a giant wall of text saying that we don't understand Cubing is a bit of an overreaction.

You're right, people like drafting and they like drafting new things. There's a difference between drafting a low power level set that's balanced and a low power level Cube that's not.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 4, 2014

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
as a multicolored wizard and overall awesome card i still think shadowmage infiltrator would be a good addition :colbert:

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

First off, maybe don't ask for criticism if you clearly don't want it so we don't waste our time? I'll respond anyway because I'm annoyed.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think you misunderstand the idea of building themed cubes. A cube doesn't have to be consistent with the power curve of all MtG, just because a more powerful card exists doesn't mean that it has to be included over another one as long as power curves are internally consistent.

I understand that. Not every cube has to be "the most powerful cards". You may have misunderstood than when I said "your curve is too low", I meant mana curve, not power curve.

That said, cards are not only balanced against each other, but also balanced against the components of the game. Some of the cards I mentioned just don't do anything at all regardless of what power-level environment they are in.

In addition, your cube is not internally balanced even with your low power curve. Your multicolor cards are many levels above the power level of your monocolored cards. I can totally see pumping up the power level of your multicolor cards as a reward for being that color pair, but (for example) a Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage is going to absolutely dominate the board even against 3 of the Mirage Guildmages. Again, I said I like the inclusions of Guildmages, but some of the Guildmages just don't do anything regardless of the power level of the cube. Especially when you are dealing with new players, they will pick up bad cards like that because they look cool, expect them to do something, and get frustrated when they get run over by some powerful multicolor card.

quote:

The whole basis was to make a fun casual cube that was cheap to build and was focused entirely around the idea of having copies of guildmages, charms, and the one drop multicolor wizards (granger guildmage, shadow guildmage etc). A theme doesn't have to include a payoff. You're confusing a theme with actual tech (one is "emphasis on cards with protection because that
s fun" the other is "I must ensure that my tribal focus cube has viable combo strategy within every tribal option").

I'm not missing the point of a themed cube, YOU are missing an EASY opportunity to utilize your theme in a cool way! It would only take a few slots to make your flavor theme into a cool mechanical theme as well. Tribal is one of the most popular mechanics in Magic for new and old players alike, it's not like you'd be going out on a limb there.

In addition, some players will draft the cube as is and think "wow there are a bunch of wizards, there must be some cool way to use them together!" When they don't find a way to do that, they'll probably feel let down.

quote:

The emphasis on color cycles like the scents and martyrs is mainly because those cards are fun and don't see much play outside of obscure combo decks. If I wanted a cube with maximum power curve that built real decks I would either play constructed or pull out my real cube (which btw is a heavily fixed multicolor focused cube with a huge amount of big dollar Ravnica and Lorwyn poo poo in it). There is a reason why people like drafting things like Ravnicube and Mercadian Masques. The real draw of drafts is having a discerning eye and the ability to build good things out of whats dealt to you. In a cube if you build for every card to be the most powerful in every situation you basically excise the best part of drafting from your play experience.

I am not advocating turning your cube into the typical "all-star" cube. Not at all. Situational cards can make a draft format great - look at Innistrad for an example. Part of the skill/fun of that format was identifying how your situational cards combined with one another to create something greater than its parts. You have many cards that are not useful in any situation. A good first step would be cutting those for cards that are ACTUALLY situationally useful.

quote:

I previously addressed the issue with the land fixing. I left it pretty much untouched as a place holder because my physical version of the cube runs a land base that costs about a thousand dollars along with the trilands, lairs, city of brass and other fun stuff. I was more trying to streamline it down to make it easier for someone who doesn't have access to twenty years worth of Magic cards to build.

If you aren't going to change it then why the hell are you asking for advice?

quote:

That was really the main goal, a multi focused cube based around old school color staples and split color wizard hijinks. Because at its core MtG is a game about wizards having wizard fights and that was generally what this cube was trying to encompass.

I'm not saying your cube is terrible, for the Nth time I love the Guildmages/Battlemages and I think they make a great core of a multicolor cube. That said, do you really think your cube is perfect with no room to improve? That's the vibe you are giving off.

quote:

Not to jump to the defense of blessed reversal or healing salve, they are very low power cards (although again, this is a generally low powered cube) but I have personally witnessed them win drafts. 3 life can make or break a deck in an environment that is both slightly underpowered and where red is heavy on the burn focus (ah, the halcyon days of drafting 7th edition). If you guys have generally spent your draft time drafting more high power cubes and recent cohesive sets I'd highly recommend getting on your digital format of choice and trying out a Homelands or Homelands/Homelands/Legends draft. Often drafting lower power formats with less card cohesion is more fun (decidedly more casual too, but in my world "draft" and "hard drinking" tend to go hand in hand).

I have drafted all of the old formats, and I agree they can be an occasional silly change of pace - but more often they are a slow, unfun slog where no one can accomplish anything.

If you really consider Homelands draft to be a more fun, repeatable experience than Innistrad, Rise of the Eldrazi, or even M11, I don't think my advice will help you achieve your goal of creating a cube to replicate that experience.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 4, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So I finally started to make up a list for an idea I've been kicking around for a bit: The Graveyard Cube. For the first draft I'm going for 240 cards, 35 in each colour, 40 multicoloured/dual lands and 25 colourless/five colour lands. The problem I'm having is with white's identity. I feel like there are three main themes it can follow: token sacrifice, Sun Titan type recursion where something small comes back every turn, and an Open the Vaults strategy. It's the last one that I'm struggling with. Any suggestions for that specifically or cards or mechanics which could be in the cube generally would be appreciated.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

If you're looking to get some Open the Vaults value, I'd almost go full eggs and do Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward.

Just looking at the white cards, I don't think Auriok Salvagers is great because you have a total of 7 targets for it. I don't think adding more target okay wait a second you could totally just have chromatic stars and lotus bloom and bring them back with the salvagers and whoa I need to draft this now

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

KasaiAisu posted:

If you're looking to get some Open the Vaults value, I'd almost go full eggs and do Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward.

Just looking at the white cards, I don't think Auriok Salvagers is great because you have a total of 7 targets for it. I don't think adding more target okay wait a second you could totally just have chromatic stars and lotus bloom and bring them back with the salvagers and whoa I need to draft this now

The most convoluted Salvagers thing I could come up with was Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana, regrow Codex Shredder to regrow Arcbound Ravager, make that infinitely big and then Codex Shredder back Fling for the kill.

I'm pretty hyped.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Aston posted:

The most convoluted Salvagers thing I could come up with was Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana, regrow Codex Shredder to regrow Arcbound Ravager, make that infinitely big and then Codex Shredder back Fling for the kill.

I'm pretty hyped.

yessss

So the only things I would want to add to this are just fun times with Claws of Gix because I love that card, something like Hatching Plans even though you're already done for Blue. Maybe Pyromancer's Swath since you already have Flame Jab and Life from the Loam, 9 damage every turn party hard, though now I'm not even close to talking about White anymore. I just like being a Johnny around graveyard shenanigans

edit: though frankly I would run Perilous Research over Visions of Beyond because even in a cube like this, someone actually having 20 cards in their graveyard is a little unrealistic.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 11, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Hatching Plans seems sweet, I'll swap that in for Visions.

Also I drafted this monstrosity on the CubeTutor practices. My god.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Me and my friends have been playing a lot of Commander, and while that's super fun and likely to continue, I'd like to do something else once in awhile as well.

We cubed before, but it was just a bunch of powerful cards from all over the place thrown together willy nilly so it was a touch dull. I'm thinking about making a block cube. Probably either Mirage, Urza's or Tempest, because I stopped playing right after that for years so I don't have to proxy quite as many cards as I would otherwise. Besides they're good, classic sets and a lot of fun.

Any suggestions? Has someone done this before, is there a list of the best cards of these blocks I should look at, etc. Obviously I'm not going to just throw 1 of every card from each set in there. Oh, there's 5 of us so 360 should be quite sufficient.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

People have talked about making Modern Masters Cubes with multiple commons and uncommons. I haven't drafted one, but there are articles about the process available.

I would suggest a single set rather than a full block. Fewer individual cards to acquire; you just need multiples of some cards.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Some Numbers posted:

People have talked about making Modern Masters Cubes with multiple commons and uncommons. I haven't drafted one, but there are articles about the process available.

I would suggest a single set rather than a full block. Fewer individual cards to acquire; you just need multiples of some cards.

I don't mind using proxies at all though, so this is not really an issue.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I didn't even know this thread existed but cross posting from the main thread.

Just finished the first draft of my modern frame cube, you can draft it on cube tutor here.

http://cubetutor.com/draft/6675

A couple of notes:

Obviously, as the name suggests, only modern framed cards.

I tried to make there be 10 archetypes, 1 per two color combo. They are as follows:
WU - Flicker
UB - Tezzeret
BR - Sacrifice
RG - Ramp
GW - Enchantress
WB - Tokens
BG - Reanimator
GU - Flash
UR - Spells
RW - Affinity

Some of them are a little underrepresented right now, notably Affinity and Flash which don't shine through very strongly.

I tried to get rid of any obviously too powerful cards. Notable omissions are Channel, Sol Ring, and Mana Crypt.

Two cards are missing from the cube tutor list - Hero of Iroas and Kiora, Crasher of Waves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I didn't know this thread existed until someone mentioned it just now in the main thread. I'm very close to completing my own powered cube, I have about 10 cards left to acquire (spamming about it in the trade thread, I've been working on this for over a year and I want it to be over). I COULD just proxy the last few things, I might do it for the Tarmogoyf and Polluted Delta, but meh...I feel compelled to finish it for real.

Anyway, here's my list: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/4787

I was having trouble settling on a final number. I didn't want to do a small cube, but I didn't want to go up to 720 either. 600 seemed a nice compromise that allowed for some variation between drafts, multiple archetypes per color, ability to do more than 8 people, and allowed me to include all the cards I wanted without having to make some uncomfortable cuts and retain balance....with smaller cubes I found it really difficult to keep blue from being ridiculously overpowered compared to the other colors.

Obviously things like Power are proxied, anyone who's active in the trading thread would be familiar with my work in that area.

It's updated through Theros, but I realized a huge oversight in not including Polukranos...suggestions on what to cut for him would be nice.

Anyway, there it is. I only started playing a week before Innistrad came out and last year decided to start a cube when I was unemployed and didn't have the money to draft real sets. I briefly abandoned the endeavour to support Standard, but after I finally got a great job I redoubled my efforts. I'm really, really hoping to pick up the last few cards in the next couple of weeks at most (if anyone's curious, this is what's missing: http://deckbox.org/sets/176343).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd been planning out a cube for a while but it's just prohibitively expensive and I'd rather build a peasant cube than plan a non-peasant one that never gets built. Are there any resources for focusing on peasant specifically?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly just proxy what you need. Don't let money get in the way of enjoying cube-time. In our cube the duals are just printed off and inserted in front of garbage normal cards.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd been planning out a cube for a while but it's just prohibitively expensive and I'd rather build a peasant cube than plan a non-peasant one that never gets built. Are there any resources for focusing on peasant specifically?

The MTG Salvation forums have a subforum dedicated to Peasant and Pauper cubes. The people there are actually really helpful. I also have a Peasant cube myself if you have any questions. My cube is on Cubetutor if you want to take a look: https://www.cubetutor.com/viewlist/72

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Is there a good place to practice drafting cubes with other (non-bot) players? Or are those sites generally frowned upon? I feel like the bots I'm drafting against on cubetutor are in no way helpful based for improving my understanding of the right cards to take.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You can use tappedout.net, but you'll probably need to organize the people you want to draft with since it's a bit hit or miss to find 7 other people that want to draft with you.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Is there a good place to practice drafting cubes with other (non-bot) players? Or are those sites generally frowned upon? I feel like the bots I'm drafting against on cubetutor are in no way helpful based for improving my understanding of the right cards to take.

You can cube draft with other players on tappedout.net ...but the interface is much worse than CubeTutor's is.

On another note, have people seen this guy yet: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151220&d=1389934931?

That card is outrageous, and I can't wait to cube it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I was wondering, does anyone have some good resources on how to pull together a cube designed to emulate a specific set/block environment? I have a couple full common/uncommon playsets of Theros from drafting it every week, and figure I might as well try to pull together a Theros-centric cube. And then I started looking online at the cost of grabbing sets of various commons and uncommons from other sets.

Is it much more complicated than just including 4x of each common and 4x uncommon (or 2x uncommon)? What sorts of things should I be wary of when trying to put one together?

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

WhiteWolf123 posted:

You can cube draft with other players on tappedout.net ...but the interface is much worse than CubeTutor's is.

On another note, have people seen this guy yet: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151220&d=1389934931?

That card is outrageous, and I can't wait to cube it.

That's the first (only?) card from Born of the Gods so far that has jumped out as an instant include in my cube. Fake Searing Blaze is tempting since I'm still running Searing Blaze, but nothing else has jumped out at me.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

That's the first (only?) card from Born of the Gods so far that has jumped out as an instant include in my cube. Fake Searing Blaze is tempting since I'm still running Searing Blaze, but nothing else has jumped out at me.

I'm excited for the Spirit of the Labyrinth. I love me a 3/1 for 1W, and the ability is just gravy.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

My list:
Spirit of the Labyrinth
Semi-Dark Confidant

maybe that cat...
maybe searing blaze

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I'll be testing the Spirit, but I don't think it'll last. Same with the Pain Seer. I think they're too fragile and their abilities are too conditional. There's a lot of combat in the cube...

I will probably be testing out Kiora too, she's not great against aggro/burn, but she's a great card for midrange mirrors and against control decks. Midrange green can always use the extra help against control, so I'll give her a spin and see what she can do.

The Oreo Kat King is the only snap-include for me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Time to share some pictues. After fifteen months of nonstop trading, IT'S DONE! The last cards came in the mail today, as did my massive box of sleeves. I decided to take pictures for insurance purposes, since carrying around a $4000 box of cards is inherently risky, but I thought I'd share it here. This was a solo cube, so I'm pretty proud of getting this done in just over a year, most of which was spent unemployed (which left tons of times to make proxies to trade away).

CUBE PORN!!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Time to share some pictues. After fifteen months of nonstop trading, IT'S DONE! The last cards came in the mail today, as did my massive box of sleeves. I decided to take pictures for insurance purposes, since carrying around a $4000 box of cards is inherently risky, but I thought I'd share it here. This was a solo cube, so I'm pretty proud of getting this done in just over a year, most of which was spent unemployed (which left tons of times to make proxies to trade away).

CUBE PORN!!

That is a hell of a nice cube. Mine is much more humble hehe. Its a little over $1200. I'm running a budget manabase of shocks, painlands, checklands, and fastlands.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

BaronVonVaderham posted:

CUBE PORN!!

Power!! How many multi-colored cards are you running (as a percentage)?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Man, and I was bitching about how sleeving my peasant cube costs like $70. Well done, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

BaronVonVaderham posted:

CUBE PORN!!

Congrats on getting it all together, it's looking nice. This reminds me that I need to get around to taking more recent pictures of mine, I like the binder page set-up, it's much neater than the pictures I took last year back on the first page of this thread.

Do you just have them unsleeved for photos while in the binder, or do you play it in clear sleeves?