Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

marktheando posted:

In my current game I've had three cadaver synods and it's only 934. What the hell is going on in the Vatican?

Stop bribing Wicked Priests into the Papacy :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The above advice is good, but keep in mind that the unit types used in your cultural retinues will get significant boosts from having generals of that culture, as they'll have special culture-specific tactics that enhance that unit type's performance. Generals of other cultures will boost the same kinds of units used in their cultural retinues, which means that archers will be a lot better if you can scare up an English commander for them, for instance.

Is English culture an offshoot of Anglo-Saxon? I have been reading about English generals and made some Anglo guy a duke in my empire so I can have him spawn a line of generals, but idk if I'm doing it properly.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

Is English culture an offshoot of Anglo-Saxon? I have been reading about English generals and made some Anglo guy a duke in my empire so I can have him spawn a line of generals, but idk if I'm doing it properly.

English culture appears after 1100 if you have Normans ruling Anglo-Saxons in England.

Or via the Ruler Designer, of course.

e: meeting those criteria allows the English Melting Pot event chain to start, spreading English culture.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 21, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's a cadaver synod?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

What's a cadaver synod?

a funny event.

From one of my earlier posts in this thread :

I should mention it really happened. Pope Formosus.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Excelzior posted:

English culture appears after 1100 if you have Normans ruling Anglo-Saxons in England.

Or via the Ruler Designer, of course.

e: meeting those criteria allows the English Melting Pot event chain to start, spreading English culture.

Ah I see, thanks!

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Unless you're England. Then use the Longbowman Retinue by itself so you can use the volley battle tactic. Watch your retinue Heinz Guderian pretty much any force you come up against.

Does the Volley tactic work with Welsh culture as well? And does it have to be just longbowmen for the tactic to fire or can it work when mixed with pikemen too?

I vaguely remember this being discussed a while back, but forgot the details, so have been rolling with a mixed archer/pikemen retinue for my Kingdom of Cymru game (:black101:) but it doesn't seem nearly as good as I'd hoped it'd be unfortunately, so I have the distinct feeling that I've hosed up somewhere.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Averrences posted:

Does the Volley tactic work with Welsh culture as well? And does it have to be just longbowmen for the tactic to fire or can it work when mixed with pikemen too?

I vaguely remember this being discussed a while back, but forgot the details, so have been rolling with a mixed archer/pikemen retinue for my Kingdom of Cymru game (:black101:) but it doesn't seem nearly as good as I'd hoped it'd be unfortunately, so I have the distinct feeling that I've hosed up somewhere.

The massive longbow volley tactic is actually available to Welsh commanders as well as English according to the wiki..

Massive Longbow Volley
Leader = English or Welsh
Skirmish phase
At least 1% Archers
Result : Archers Offensive +420%
Affinities :
Charge +300%
Harass +300%

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

This explains most of it, you can increase the modifier to get it with more archers/higher martial commanders.

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Excelzior posted:

I should mention it really happened. Pope Formosus.
Kinda surprised Alexander VI didn't merit one, what with his successor refusing to pray Mass for his soul because it was pointless for one so obviously damned.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Kinda surprised Alexander VI didn't merit one, what with his successor refusing to pray Mass for his soul because it was pointless for one so obviously damned.

I think it was more of a political thing. For someone like Alexander VI who was just so horrible everyone wanted to just forget about it and move on. With Formosus it wasn't just about declaring that he was a bad pope, it was about invalidating the legitimacy of his papacy in the first place.

Speaking of Popes, is it actually possible to get your player character named as Pope? It seems like it shouldn't be since entering the church disqualifies someone from being an heir (thus you'll never Quantum Leap your way into controlling them when your current character dies), but I've seen a few offhand mentions of people having managed it. Are there some specific cultural or religious setups where you can end up with bishops that can still inherit titles?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2014

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it was more of a political thing.

The politics of it all were quite byzantine but the gist of it is that he crowned the wrong guy Holy Roman Emperor. Thus there were special reasons for other people to want to invalidate all his papal acts post mortem. He wasn't actually a particularly wicked Pope per se.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Skirmish retinue is no brainer at the beginning (except when your cultural retinue is even cheaper). Factions (and AI in general) only care about quantity, not quality of your troops. If you're Tengri and have access to the ridiculous Invasion CB, you should keep making skirmishers (unless you're Welsh Tengri or something like that) until you take over the world (or get bored).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CapnAndy posted:

Well, considering even people who hated the poor guy that got exhumed thought this was beyond the pale - in fact, the Pope that ordered it was jailed and then strangled to death later in the same year.

Early Christianity was HUGE on preserving the body, so this wasn't just disrespectful, it was sacrilegious

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 21, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

in fact, the Pope that ordered it was jailed and then strangled to death later in the same year.

Early Christianity :black101:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Part of it came down to how the whole 'life after death' thing was interpreted. One of the major understandings (and still understood by some today) was that you would literally be brought back with your own body to live out a second life, so messing with a corpse was the equivalent of screwing with someone's afterlife.

As for retinues, I try to keep things relatively balanced where I can, though archers always end up counting higher and cavalry lower. It helps with enemy armies that evidently are lacking in something, so whilst one part of a battle can be a slog, suddenly the next phase kicks in and I just end up massacring everybody.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

SeaTard posted:

Pagans need to have both Crusades and Jihads enabled before they can use their own crusade mechanic.

They've been going back and forth in crusades and jihads for some time now. Anything else I need to look for?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Moral Authority of at least 50.0?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

HenessyHero posted:

Moral Authority of at least 50.0?

Yep. Been hovering around 80-90 for a while.

Maybe the game is just broken? The popup for the Teutonic Order being founded occurs every few years for some reason.

Honestly, it's a pretty weird game we're playing. Started at the Stamford Bridge start, it's my friend's first time so I made him play in Ireland and I decided I wanted a ridiculous challenge so I chose one of the very few remaining Norse religion leaders and made it my goal to restore the faith. Some many generations later and I've become Fylkir, conquered most of Russia and Scandinavia, allied with both the Ilkhanate and Golden Hordes, and my buddy has become Jewish and is struggling to hold Ireland and Scotland under his belt with constant faction wars and revolts. I think Norse might be a little OP, so I don't really NEED the Great Holy War...but it sure would be nice to take all of Germany out of the HRE's hands in one fell swoop.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I had something really weird happen in a game just now. I'm playing the GoT mod, starting from Aegon's Conquest, and have established both the Empire of New Valyria and the Kingdom of Westeros. Last time I played, when it made its start of year autosave, it crashed. Then when I started up from that autosave today, time went forward a day, the "a child was born" sound happened about 5 times, and then it wouldn't respond for a while, and my demesne shot from 3/4 to 466/4. When it finally started responding again, I got a bunch of messages about some merchant houses going extinct.

I can sort of understand how I might have gotten a ton of Essos territory with a mass vassal die off, since being the Valyrian emperor makes me the guy it'd all revert to for lack of other heirs, but I also inherited some Dothraki land, which I thought was unobtainable given the lack of ways to interact with it, and almost all of Ghis, despite not bothering to subjugate them yet. Possibly more, I'm not entirely sure precisely what all I've got because I have like 250 baronies and another 200 counties to go through and redistribute.

That's what my game suddenly looks like now. Is there some known save glitch that causes a bunch of rulers to lose their stuff and the player to get everything if something happens mid-save or something? For whatever it's worth, if I look at the title history of any of the stuff I just got, Aenys is listed as the first ever titleholder.

I'm rolling with it no matter what the cause, because I'm sure as hell not passing up the opportunity to distribute pretty much an entire continent according to my whim, but I'm curious as to how this ridiculous windfall might have come about.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I see Viserys and Danaerys; were they born beforehand and that's just an amazing coincidence? Because if not it's at least possible the game accidentally fired off a bunch of scenario start events all at once and hosed everything up.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

CapnAndy posted:

I see Viserys and Danaerys; were they born beforehand and that's just an amazing coincidence? Because if not it's at least possible the game accidentally fired off a bunch of scenario start events all at once and hosed everything up.

Viserys was born normally 18 years ago, and Daenerys was born March 11th the previous year. And she's Visery's daughter, not his sister. So it's not Aerys II's kids popping into existence ~250 years early somehow and breaking things, just a coincidence of the Valyrian naming pool.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
...So I just had the wife and newborn daughter of my nephew murdered to get him out of a matrilineal marriage since he's currently the emperor of Byzantine but his wife wasn't in my dynasty. Am I a bad person? :ohdear: In my defense, I was TRYING to murder the wife while she was pregnant but she gave birth before the plot succeeded. That doesn't make it sound better.

I'm not even sure how he ended up as emperor in the first place. I managed to get some of my bloodline into Byzantine in the first place by arranging a marriage between my brother and the then-empress, who accepted because at the time said brother was the heir to my kingdoms of Ireland and England. Of course as soon as I had a kid he got knocked down in the line of succession but by that point they were already traditionally married, so the kids they ended up having were my dynasty. Except that at the time the Byzantines were ALSO an elective monarchy, so I'm surprised they picked the kids rather than a brother or sister of their ruling dynasty. Or does Born in the Purple override even elected successors?

Either way, provided they don't collapse that should be a pretty awesome ally to have when I'm ready to move on to the mainland. Since they're Orthodox they don't mind helping my Cathar heretics fight against Catholics, which has been a major hurdle with allies in the past since basically everyone nearby is Catholic except the Norse and gently caress the Norse stop raiding my goddamn cities!

(In case you're wondering why Cathar, I read that it's possible to actually have a heretical religion supplant a proper one if you manage to beat their Moral Authority so I'm giving it a try. Cathar is also a pretty handy religion to have, too. No pope to compete with so your clergy vassals always give you taxes and levies regardless of how much they hate you, and being able to use women in any role opens up a LOT of useful options for finding highly skilled warriors/Councillors that nobody else will use; they're rarely rulers or heirs so it's a lot easier to get rulers to marry them off to some nobody in your court, then you can get that amazing 20+ martial skill lady that you'd never have had any use for otherwise)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In my defense, I was TRYING to murder the wife while she was pregnant

Everyone stop the thread, we're never topping this. What a way to try and defend your actions, you terrible murderer you.

(you're doing it right)

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(In case you're wondering why Cathar, I read that it's possible to actually have a heretical religion supplant a proper one if you manage to beat their Moral Authority so I'm giving it a try.

It's not high Moral Authority, it's having the majority of territories converted to Cathar.
I had a fun game of being the Byzantine empire, mending the schism then converting to Cathar, since all the Catholic heresies become Orthodox heresies after mending the schism, plus you get the Orthodox holy order.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Edison was a dick posted:

It's not high Moral Authority, it's having the majority of territories converted to Cathar.
I had a fun game of being the Byzantine empire, mending the schism then converting to Cathar, since all the Catholic heresies become Orthodox heresies after mending the schism, plus you get the Orthodox holy order.

I'm currently in my first Byzantine game ever, and thanks to liberal use of holy war (and some stabbing to get the Muslim empires to fall apart/to get around the truce timer) and a claim fabrication on Rome, I was set to mend the schism. What I didn't know, however, was that it turns nearly all Catholics into Orthodox overnight. So now I still need to conquer half of Italy before I can start using the Roman Empire CB (if I understood how that works correctly), and no holy war CB to fall back on anymore in that area. Crud.

Worst of all, there seems to be only a single Cathar guy in my entire game, and while he's in my Empire somewhere, I didn't have a good dynastic wife for him and the wards I've given him haven't turned out Cathar. Luckily, my emperor suddenly became Iconoclast shortly before dying, so I've got two or three Iconoclast dynasty members running around. Now to put them on the throne...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can always just set your chaplain to research cultural tech and hope for him to discover a heretical belief and offer to convert you. No worrying about trying to maneuver the one heretic in your empire onto the throne, plus you get to generate a bunch of cultural tech points so it's still useful while you're waiting.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
If my cultural retinue sucks, is it the skirmish or shock retinues I should go for? I always mix up and forget.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Trogdos! posted:

If my cultural retinue sucks, is it the skirmish or shock retinues I should go for? I always mix up and forget.

Shock.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Trogdos! posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605285-crusader-kings-ii/66590635

"1:1 ratio of skirmisher retinues to defensive retinues."

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Nightblade posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605285-crusader-kings-ii/66590635

"1:1 ratio of skirmisher retinues to defensive retinues."

Well, his justification for that combo seems to only work when you use those two exclusively, with no levy attached which could throw off the ratios. Which I intend not to do.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You can use you retinues in one flank and levies in the other two. You'll dramatically improve your combat ability if you don't mix troop types in flanks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well this is interesting. Remember how I said I had a member of my dynasty take over as Byzantine emperor? This is what he's done with the place:

That's within ONE GENERATION - he took the throne in 1165. I'm still working on converting Great Britain since I started in 867! (Well I didn't actually convert to Cathar until a couple generations in, but still, that was around 900ish). Before the previous generation, nobody outside of Britain was Cathar, save for a few of my dynasty members I'd married off for alliances and such.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can always just set your chaplain to research cultural tech and hope for him to discover a heretical belief and offer to convert you. No worrying about trying to maneuver the one heretic in your empire onto the throne, plus you get to generate a bunch of cultural tech points so it's still useful while you're waiting.

I've had my chaplain on research for most of the game, there's really not much else he can do when your religion is spread well outside your borders and the handful of church vassals you have are tumbling over each other to kiss your feet. But speaking of which: do your councillors boost tech generation in the province they're in, or only cultural spread speed to their province? In other words, is it useful to have them research in my highest-tech province, or do I need to put them in the provinces that I want to spread that high-level tech to?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well this is interesting. Remember how I said I had a member of my dynasty take over as Byzantine emperor? This is what he's done with the place:

That's within ONE GENERATION - he took the throne in 1165. I'm still working on converting Great Britain since I started in 867! (Well I didn't actually convert to Cathar until a couple generations in, but still, that was around 900ish). Before the previous generation, nobody outside of Britain was Cathar, save for a few of my dynasty members I'd married off for alliances and such.

What the hell. I spent about 300 years trying to convert all of the British Isles to Cathar in my last game, and I only managed to get about 80% of it (oddly, even Iceland converted within a few years of conquering it, while my home province never fully did). How did that spread so fast?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jolan posted:

I've had my chaplain on research for most of the game, there's really not much else he can do when your religion is spread well outside your borders and the handful of church vassals you have are tumbling over each other to kiss your feet. But speaking of which: do your councillors boost tech generation in the province they're in, or only cultural spread speed to their province? In other words, is it useful to have them research in my highest-tech province, or do I need to put them in the provinces that I want to spread that high-level tech to?

They only boost tech spread, not points generation. So putting them adjacent to your highest tech province is the better idea.

quote:

What the hell. I spent about 300 years trying to convert all of the British Isles to Cathar in my last game, and I only managed to get about 80% of it (oddly, even Iceland converted within a few years of conquering it, while my home province never fully did). How did that spread so fast?

I believe the AI has an increased chance to convert their realm.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

What do you do if you're the most advanced in every tech? I'm not there yet, but it's getting really close -- I've got, like, one bar to steal in three techs from Rome and then I exceed or match everybody. How do I keep advancing if all my gears have stopped spinning? Isn't it the progress towards another tech that generates the tech points?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

CapnAndy posted:

What do you do if you're the most advanced in every tech? I'm not there yet, but it's getting really close -- I've got, like, one bar to steal in three techs from Rome and then I exceed or match everybody. How do I keep advancing if all my gears have stopped spinning? Isn't it the progress towards another tech that generates the tech points?

Nope, you will still get your tech points. Gears spinning only indicate that you are getting free tech advancements from outside your capitol.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

No, you generate tech points based on ruler stats. The gears spinning means that tech has a chance of passively upgrading without requiring you to spend tech points.

e: f;b

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

You can see how many tech points you generate in the technology screen. If you hover over the number (the one with a + before it) you can see a breakdown how many points you get from which source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Recently, I looked up a picture of the old tech screen and just stared at it for a while like a dog.

• Locked thread