Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Azran posted:

I've been enjoying Chain Attack's rating list for Warcasters/Warlocks. It's interesting to see that eGrissel is a decent warlock; it's just that her feat is complete dogshit. :v:

Also, my preference for Cryx is vindicated (even if I only play eGoreshade and pAsphyxious)

Ah yes, a mighty tier list comprised of arbitrary ratings arrived at by playing a single game against a single opponent and random gut feeling bullshit. Truly the most trustworthy of sources. If you need to be told by some random dudes on the internet that you should give every caster in your faction a try because you might have fun, then consider this post to be doing that.

Not to say that there isn't minor value to Chain Attack as a way of familiarizing you with various models and what they can do, but I personally loathe the format, and think the hosts are pretty lovely. The guy who was handing out "I got clubbed like a baby seal by <insert name here>" shirts at L&L a couple years ago to everyone he beat was a real class act. It's like, who the gently caress are you, and why are you such a douche, especially for the guy I know that he beat on a bad judge call (yes, you can in fact target models under eSkarre's feat with throws, they're melee attacks) in the masters qualifier that year. There's just so many better days to do battle reports (video stuff is well worth the effort to set up, given the relative payoffs), and if you want to do commentary on casters and how good they are, play a bunch of games with them against a variety of matchups and come back with an actual list of pros and cons rather than some completely abstracted and meaningless letter grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

stabbington posted:

Ah yes, a mighty tier list comprised of arbitrary ratings arrived at by playing a single game against a single opponent and random gut feeling bullshit. Truly the most trustworthy of sources. If you need to be told by some random dudes on the internet that you should give every caster in your faction a try because you might have fun, then consider this post to be doing that.

I appreciate your opinion on Chain-Attack; another goon in the thread had recommended it. But I had been out of the loop for like four books; so I just wanted a quick glance over the new casters; my question about eGrissel here got lost. :shobon:

I know absolutely nothing about the hosts; didn't even listen to a single podcast.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

stabbington posted:

Not to say that there isn't minor value to Chain Attack as a way of familiarizing you with various models and what they can do, but I personally loathe the format, and think the hosts are pretty lovely. The guy who was handing out "I got clubbed like a baby seal by <insert name here>" shirts at L&L a couple years ago to everyone he beat was a real class act. It's like, who the gently caress are you, and why are you such a douche, especially for the guy I know that he beat on a bad judge call (yes, you can in fact target models under eSkarre's feat with throws, they're melee attacks) in the masters qualifier that year. There's just so many better days to do battle reports (video stuff is well worth the effort to set up, given the relative payoffs), and if you want to do commentary on casters and how good they are, play a bunch of games with them against a variety of matchups and come back with an actual list of pros and cons rather than some completely abstracted and meaningless letter grade.

To be fair if they are in a faction that the hosts play they have played more than one game and they factor that into their grades at the end. This includes most warcasters and overall the letter grades do work out to a general tier list. If you are trying to play the game at a high level, these guys are probably worth listening to as all of them are pretty good players. Now you may disagree with them as you play, but as a baseline tier list to work from before you are good enough to innovate and formulate your own ideas, you could do much worse.

As for the t-shirts that sounds pretty lighthearted and hilarious to me but I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the fun of trash talk when playing any game competitively so your mileage may vary.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Saw the post upstream about helping to start a faction so I thought I'd hop on that goodwill train. Been playing Ret, elves are fun, but now I want something much tougher and annoying to kill. Been flipping between Skorne and Trollbloods and think I've settled on trolls. I only have a limited understanding of how they work, but I do like quite a bit of their line with my favorites being the elemental trolls (Earthborn especially), Mulg, Janissa, Runeshapers, and Warders. Basically, anything doing earth magic or featuring a ton of rock. As far as casters go, I didn't see any I hate, so what would work best with the above? Looking to start around 25-35pts.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

So I take it that, despite everything the OP and the official description, Cygnar is not about cool shooty mechs? Cause that sounds cool. Is Nemo good?

Should I just be looking up lists to find out what goes well together?

It is somewhat complicated.

The game is good, and the factions are overall balanced. In Warmachine, the factions just don't really match up to their fluff as well as they should. The other issue that Warmachine has is that the rules support infantry spam, mixed infantry and Warjack armies, but basically fall to pieces if you try and double down on warjacks (unless you play Protectorate).

Compared to the rules quality and balance of almost every other game out there, these problems are first world problems.

Protectorate will bring more jacks, and their jacks will do more raw damage shooting at heavy targets than Cygnar will.

Cygnar is kinda sorta about combined arms. Think of them as having a handful of advanced warjacks, backed up by super accurate elite shooting infantry, and using tons of melee mercs to advance and hold ground.

So Cygnar won't have as many jacks as Protectorate, but Cygnar will show up with something like this:

They will slap Arcane Shield on it to make it obnoxiously hard to kill, it will tromp forward and fire two long range cannon shots that are stupidly accurate because they have a unit of rangers lazing its target, it will then spin up its chain guns and lay down two zones of covering fire that will murder any infantry that enters them. As the final kick in the dick it will then launch a storm pod that electrocutes anything on the line from the center of its base to where the storm pod landed, and scrambles the cortexes of any warjacks hit. Then storm smiths move up and "triangulate" off the storm pod where they call down auto-hitting lighting on things in a triangle formed by 2 storm smiths and the pod.

Or instead of shooting it can just punch things with its giant electro-fists that every time they hit something they arc lighting to another model within 4 inches.

Or it can walk over and use its super high strength to pick up and throw another model very far and very hard into a wall or to knock down other models. Or it can simply grab the weapon of just about any other non-colossal warjack, and have that warjack be unable to pull their weapon free because they are not strong enough while it stands there beating on them with its free fist.

So, Cygnar can in fact be about cool shooty mechs. Being "forced" to play with the Stormwall a lot is not a terribly difficult burden to bear.

Their other warjacks that are good also have a lot of cool features. The Centurion has a giant magnet shield that stops anything from charging it. Ol'Rowdy has a quake hammer that can knock down the things it critically hits with it, or it can literally cause a miniature earthquake with the hammer to knock down stuff in an area around it.

Commander Nemo (Nemo1) and General Nemo (Nemo2) are good casters. Nemo1 turns a lot of the non-stormwall Cygnar jacks on in major ways. Nemo2 is really good at running a lot of warjacks and also turns non-stormwall jacks on. Nemo3 seems to want models that don't exist yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And when you get right down to it, most of the best warjacks have a strong shooting component.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
With all the talk about how important stormwall is to Cygnar, how well do other faction collossals/gargantuans stand up to it? It seems like putting a lot of points into one boat and certain factions seem like the big guy is aimed towards a specific warnoun. I can't really imagine playing the circle gargantuan if I wasn't running Baldur or maybe Krueger but I'm still learning the ropes really.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The top Colossal is the Storm Wall, hands down. Cygnar gets so much out if it and it does so much, that not taking it is pretty bad play.

After that you are really in to personal opinion.

Cyriss, Menoth, Ret, Khador, Cryx, Mercs and Dwarfs all have fantastic colossals, but generally only in the hands of a few casters. The Colossals awesomeness is limited to what the warcaster can do for it.

Gargantuans are another matter entirely. Everything compares itself to the Mammoth, and they all fall short in some way.

The Troll Mountain King wants to get up close and smash things and shout loudly. However it's a glass cannon and it only really is effectively shouting when it kills a living enemy model. Also huge fury management issues.

The Circle Woldwrath wants to be a centre piece to your druid and spell casting armies, keeping lanes cleared for them and knocking things down to make it easier for the spell slingers to sling spells. It's issues are that it's fists knock enemy AND friendly troops down, and it's immune or ignores 90% of the spells that Circle has.

The Legion's Arch Angel, one of the most visually stunning models in the game, is pretty much the worst gargantuan. While it plays to it's strength of glass cannon, it doesn't do nearly the damage or board control that Ravagores do. It's animus is just terrible for the model and Legion relies on stealth and defensive buffs to live, most of which can't apply to the arch angel. So in order to make your big beastie survive, you have to dump a lot of points and time in to something that can be easily one rounded.

You read all those and then think "My god, did they do anything right?"

Enter the Mammoth. High armour, huge health, synergies with almost all defensive, offensive and utilitarian buff or spell the faction can give it. It hits like a brick, gets a large amount of attacks, can shoot and punch in the same combat action, AND if anything tries to engage it, it can attack that thing back and probably kill it before the mammoth suffers damage.

It left us all scratching our heads really. Most of us had no really gripes about Cygnar having a slightly better jack than the rest. It has a lot of options and suited the faction well.

Every single gargantuan other than the Mammoth however? It really masks you wonder what they were thinking.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 21, 2014

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Sarx posted:

To be fair if they are in a faction that the hosts play they have played more than one game and they factor that into their grades at the end. This includes most warcasters and overall the letter grades do work out to a general tier list. If you are trying to play the game at a high level, these guys are probably worth listening to as all of them are pretty good players. Now you may disagree with them as you play, but as a baseline tier list to work from before you are good enough to innovate and formulate your own ideas, you could do much worse.
I strongly disagree that their ranking system (or anything similar) is useful for much more than starting fights on the internet. It can give you a vague idea of a caster's power in a vacuum, but putting in a couple games with a caster will do the same thing, and no faction is deep enough to make that an undue burden on anybody. A simple power rating gives you no useful information on what tactically works with something, what kind of army it wants, etc. It's intellectual laziness at its best, and cripples commentary on how things perform in the wildly varied situations a game of warmachine can present by trying to distill a wide range of performance down into a small set of numbers. If the answer to that is "just listen to their podcast", then there's no point to the rankings at all other than as advertising, in which case, I can think of more than a few better ways to get people on board.

I will, however, agree that you should probably think about listening if you want to compete at national tournaments, not because they're necessarily good players (having not played them, I can only say with any certainty that Jay knows what he's doing because he's the only one of who's put up any significant wins), but because they're people who travel a lot and knowing how they approach the game and think about it can give you a leg up, both against them, and their relatively large following. Hell, you might even learn something. Me, I'm overstocked on podcasts as it is, and given that audio battle reports drive me crazy to begin with, I figure if they come up with anything mindblowing, someone who I actually like listening to will mention it at some point.

quote:

As for the t-shirts that sounds pretty lighthearted and hilarious to me but I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the fun of trash talk when playing any game competitively so your mileage may vary.
Those shirts are funny if you know who they are and know about their in-jokes. When a complete stranger hands you one after beating you (and knocking you out of qualifying) 8 hours in to a masters qualifier tournament on an incorrect judge call, gently caress that guy. Trash talk is fun when everyone is in on the joke, not when you're just some dude randomly being an rear end in a top hat to a guy you don't know.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

Cygnar is kinda an outside case; it has a few broken models, and a lot of trash.

Whereas you can play Menoth instead, where all of our models are broken!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of broken models, has anyone here assembled the Cyriss floating heavy vectors? That flying stand looks as if it's waiting to snap at the first moment you don't have glue on hand.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Played my first game against a 25pt Everblight list the other day.

gently caress Typhon.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Why did it have to be eDenny that got the Cephalyx tier list? I have almost every other cryx caster and basically got into them based on the Cephalyx aesthetic. Ah well, all aboard.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of broken models, has anyone here assembled the Cyriss floating heavy vectors? That flying stand looks as if it's waiting to snap at the first moment you don't have glue on hand.

I was reading some complaints about that on the PP board and someone official came in to say that the join is really solid/the ball is really deep or something.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Pin, pin, pin. If need be I'll brass rod it up there asses and hid it via something on the base.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Pin, pin, pin. If need be I'll brass rod it up there asses and hid it via something on the base.
That's exactly what I'd like to avoid, I hate the way they did the Prime Axiom ("don't mind me, just making GBS threads out the biggest turd this side of the Iron Kingdoms"). Eh, if need be I can always stick them on thick acrylic rods.

The more important question is, Cyriss apparently being the synergy-oriented faction, is starting with them viable (I know next to nothing about WMH, but I like their aesthetics far beyond everything else), or am I setting myself up for slamming face-first at full speed into the learning curve?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Pierzak posted:

That's exactly what I'd like to avoid, I hate the way they did the Prime Axiom ("don't mind me, just making GBS threads out the biggest turd this side of the Iron Kingdoms"). Eh, if need be I can always stick them on thick acrylic rods.

The more important question is, Cyriss apparently being the synergy-oriented faction, is starting with them viable (I know next to nothing about WMH, but I like their aesthetics far beyond everything else), or am I setting myself up for slamming face-first at full speed into the learning curve?

Play what you like the look and theme of. You're going to lose a lot no matter what you play, so pick something that'll let you enjoy the journey.

Also you'll be a better player in the long run if you work through a steep learning curve at the beginning.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Pierzak posted:

They add a couple of extra rules that most new players do not encoutner for a while plus all the CoC specific things (induction, MAT/RAT sharing, etc).

That being said, if you have a good mind for order of operations they are a fun as hell army and like the guy above me said, it's good to get the learning out of the way earlier rather than later.

Keep in mind that this is a "limited" faction so there is no guarantee that there will ever be a new piece for the army after everything from the Forces Of book comes out. I doubt that will happen, but who knows when?

I have a good case of faction ADD and have not played much of anything else since the release last year.

Also, working at the game store for store credit allowed me to really flesh out my options. Other than Prime Axiom, I have 2 of every vector that's out, 5 sets of angels for the teir list, 3 of every servitor, etc. I love these guys.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Pierzak posted:

You're going to slam into the learning curve with any faction as pretty much all of them rely on synergies.

The only thing that makes Cyriss a bit difficult to grasp for players that are already used to the game is that their resource management, allocating your warcasters focus to warjacks to spend it later in that turn, works out a bit differently and is way more efficient than in other warmachine factions. If you're starting out fresh, you'll have to get used to the idea of order of activations and focus management anyways and while Cyriss has an additional layer to just how much efficiency you can squeeze out of every single focus point, it's not harder than what every other faction goes through.

The Cyriss Battlebox is also one of the better Battleboxes out there in terms of value and stuff you'll want to play after branching out, so the faction is a lot easier to start than some of the others and actually does a good job teaching you the fundamentals. And I guess it can show you well enough whether or not you'll end up liking the game without having you invest a huge deal of money.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 21, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Oh man be careful trying to pin that flying stand. drat things snap like glass toothpicks at the slightest provocation. I feel like they're really just made of spun sugar.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Hey guys, I'm kinda thinking of dipping my toes into WM again after two failed attempts at it now. I live in a big city now so hopefully lack of being able to organise games won't bite me in the arse.

I am thinking about Khador, The Butcher, Old Witch and Karchev appeal to me most (this is only based on their looks). Khador jacks are the biggest draw for the faction but as I understand it people don't run that many? Any advice for some lists to get started?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Big Willy Style posted:

Hey guys, I'm kinda thinking of dipping my toes into WM again after two failed attempts at it now. I live in a big city now so hopefully lack of being able to organise games won't bite me in the arse.

I am thinking about Khador, The Butcher, Old Witch and Karchev appeal to me most (this is only based on their looks). Khador jacks are the biggest draw for the faction but as I understand it people don't run that many? Any advice for some lists to get started?

If you want to play the old witch, get this dingus. Upkeeping two spells for free is really powerful with the witch.
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/solos/sylys-wyshnalyrr

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Those are three very different casters! Are there particular models you're interested in?

Re: jacks: I pretty much always take either Conquest or 2x heavies at 35 points and up, so I'm used to having 33-50% of my lists be jacks. Whether "half" is "many" is sort of up for debate. I've run 7 (mostly melee) jacks with Harkevich to good effect, and seen Karchev take 3 shooty heavies pretty happily, so it's really a matter of what you want to accomplish. Generally, though, I think that if you want to play Khador in tournaments (or use more than two casters) you need to learn to love warriors and get used to the idea that you're going to have a couple of units. In casual games, do whatever you want, and as long as your opponent isn't taking a hard counter, player skill is way more important than raw composition.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I was just thinking about the hover vectors. One way to hide a brass rod is to get a rock(either cork or you can use the EBDT's if you want metal).

Also they look pretty light so I'm not sure if it is going to be too bad.

I believe I read on the PP boards that DC?, wants to release at least 6 more models for Cyriss. I can only guess but I would think they would be the Dragoon, light and heavy cavalry, an epic caster and a flying large solo.

Hopefully in 2016 we get something.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

As a Khador guy who also loves heavies, really look into marshaling. We've got marshals for pretty much every occasion. A koldun lord can essentially assign 2 focus, which is huge, the man-o-war kovnik can boost all of a mech's initial attacks. Also look into your focus efficient options, like the Kodiak. It runs for free, and you can use the steam cloud to auto-hit living infantry without needing to spend a point of focus. There's also the gun carriage, which for me at least counts as a jack but has no cortex.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If you're gonna play Khador, the only thing you should ever be doing is the Karchev Powerslide.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

gannyGrabber posted:

If you're gonna play Khador, the only thing you should ever be doing is the Karchev Powerslide.

Guy in our playgroup plays Jack heavy Khador. Can confirm, karchev powerslide is amazing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Explain the Karchev Powerslide?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Explain the Karchev Powerslide?

Upkeep Tow, walk within 2" of Behemoth and two Destroyers or whatever, walk forward, spin to moon the enemy, place the jacks way up the field, activate jacks, forfeit movement to aim and they've gone farther than they could have walked.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

CaptCommy posted:

Saw the post upstream about helping to start a faction so I thought I'd hop on that goodwill train. Been playing Ret, elves are fun, but now I want something much tougher and annoying to kill. Been flipping between Skorne and Trollbloods and think I've settled on trolls. I only have a limited understanding of how they work, but I do like quite a bit of their line with my favorites being the elemental trolls (Earthborn especially), Mulg, Janissa, Runeshapers, and Warders. Basically, anything doing earth magic or featuring a ton of rock. As far as casters go, I didn't see any I hate, so what would work best with the above? Looking to start around 25-35pts.

Well, you pretty much perfectly described pDoomy's Runes of War theme list, which happens to be pretty awesome at 35pts. Here's the version I run:

System: Hordes
Faction: Hoarluk - Runes of War
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Hoarluk Doomshaper (*7pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Trollkin Runeshapers (Leader and 2 Crew) (3pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)

That gets your all the tier bonuses, so cheaper Runeshapers, a free wall, +2" of deployment, and the Krielstone starts with fury. All of those benfits are amazing. pDoomy is one of Trolls' squishiest casters, but there's a good amount of defensive tech in that list, so he's usually not in too much danger of being assassinated. Plus, squishy by Troll standards is still pretty hearty compared to lesser factions.

If you REALLY want to go full throttle with the geomancer aesthetic you could swap out the Axer for two more units of Runeshapers. My friend plays the list that way, and has had a lot of success with it. I haven't tried it out because Runeshapers are expensive, dollar-wise, and because I like the Axer for Thresher and his +2" of movement animus.
~~~~~~~~

In a somewhat unrelated matter, I participated in my first tournament this past Sunday. Three rounds, 35pts, SR2014, Deathclock, Control Points for tiebreakers.

I brought the above Runes of War list and Borka's Family Reunion. I went 2-1, but overall was 4th place because I only grabbed like 4 CPs the whole day.

Borka v. Seige - This game was where I grabbed most of my Control Points. I went first, ran everything and powered the Krielstone. Left Borka on a hill, but no fury, which led to him taking a Defender cannon to the face on the top of Turn 2. From there I played more conservatively with Borka, while the rest of the army systematically dismantled Siege's army and scored two points (from destroying opponent's objective and controlling a zone). This forced my opponent to try a Hail Mary assassination run. He feated to get Borka's screening units out of the way then shot him with everything he had leaving Borka with 2hp and only a Gun Mage left. He needed an 11 to kill, rolled box cars. Game over. One loss. 0-1

pDooomy v. eFeora - Standard Judicator eFeora list. I just kept Combat Warding up so nothing could catch on fire and tanked the stray gunshots until my opponent committed the Judicator. Then focus fired it to death. Janissa got the kill with her awesome AP pick. EBDT charged eFeora the next turn for the win. 1-1

Borka v. Damiano - This was a real slog of High DEF (Nyss, Eliminators) on his side versus High ARM on my side. Every turn was one or two models dying per side, but I started to pull ahead on attrition and I had way more time on my clock so my opponent tried to kill Borka. He did a few points of damage, but not much, but it allowed me to get the caster kill on him. 2-1

Overall, I think I did alright. I need to remember to leave fury for transfers, but my Borka list is so fury starved at 35pts. Also, Deathclock is fun, and I think I prefer it to timed turns.

Sorry for the massive post.

TL;DR: I went 2-1 with Trolls at my first tournament.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Has anyone done an effort post on Skorne yet? What can y'all tell me about Skorne? I really like how their warbeasts look but the regular dudes don't really appeal to me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

Has anyone done an effort post on Skorne yet? What can y'all tell me about Skorne? I really like how their warbeasts look but the regular dudes don't really appeal to me.

Can you live with Paingivers, Agonizers, and Gatormen? If yes, than you can probably get away without buying any regular dudes.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Mostly I'd be interested in seeing how many light warbeasts I could possibly run. Just like, a horde of cyclops and maybe some of those cool basilisk/archidon dudes.

E: And yeah, Gatormen are thug and I would run a million of them if I had the money.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
One of you nerds talk to me about pMadrak, Warders, running double-warders, and how to effectively use a Fell Caller Hero/Stone Scribe Chronicler.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sulecrist posted:

Can you live with Paingivers, Agonizers, and Gatormen? If yes, than you can probably get away without buying any regular dudes.

Confirming this. Not only is the Gatorman Posse better than any Skorne infantry, Skorne runs them better than Blindwater does due to the Taskmaster. Best Gatorman warlocks are Hexeris1, Hexeris2, and Rasheth, each with a buff spell and feat that doesn't care about Faction models.

gannyGrabber posted:

Mostly I'd be interested in seeing how many light warbeasts I could possibly run. Just like, a horde of cyclops and maybe some of those cool basilisk/archidon dudes.

E: And yeah, Gatormen are thug and I would run a million of them if I had the money.

Naaresh is considered the best for running a swarm of lights, but I also favor Zaal, since he likes having the support lights (Shaman, Brute, Raider, Krea), and turns Savages into cruise missiles with Last Stand.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jcam posted:

One of you nerds talk to me about pMadrak, Warders, running double-warders, and how to effectively use a Fell Caller Hero/Stone Scribe Chronicler.

It's a cool thing and you should do it. Favor the Fell Caller over the SSC, for the Pathfinder. Make sure you have a damage buff animus. (Pyre being the standard choice.) Krielstone + UA is a no-brainer.

Here's a sample list I'd run at 35:

System: Hordes
Faction: Trollblood
Casters: 1/1
Chief Madrak Ironhide (*6pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Storm Troll (5pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Trollkin Warders (Leader and 4 Grunts) (8pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)

At 50 just go hog wild, take some Fennblades +UA to jam while the Warders durdle up the board. Then maybe a second Fell Caller and the SSC.

List should be fun as hell, not too hard to run under Deathclock or timed turns, and will rage out opponents.

You'd have armor cracking issues maybe, though Madrak with flaming fists is pretty legit.

Edit: man this sounds pretty legit and now I want to play it. Oh noes guess I need to order another box of Warders!

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 21, 2014

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

gannyGrabber posted:

I really like how their warbeasts look but the regular dudes don't really appeal to me.

I kind of wish there was a way to poll all of the Skorne players in existence to see how many of them started out liking the way Skorne infantry looks. It seems like every one saw the beasts and said "Sweet, bad rear end giant elephants!" and no one thought "Awesome! Weird...not-elves!"

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

EAThief posted:

I kind of wish there was a way to poll all of the Skorne players in existence to see how many of them started out liking the way Skorne infantry looks. It seems like every one saw the beasts and said "Sweet, bad rear end giant elephants!" and no one thought "Awesome! Weird...not-elves!"

I love the cetrati and swordsmen. I just hate the torture and pain obsession angle. Like Nihilators just don't do anything for me.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

EAThief posted:

I like the praetorians and cataphract units fur their cool armor. I don't like nihilators at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

EAThief posted:

S&M elves are a well-trodden aesthetic, i've found.

• Locked thread