Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Neo Rasa posted:

Hopefully it's like Last of Us or Clock Tower where places are just expansive enough that you can try to hide again.

Is that how you are supposed to play last of us? I so far end up shooting and beating the poo poo out of the bad guys...except clickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nthman posted:

Is that how you are supposed to play last of us? I so far end up shooting and beating the poo poo out of the bad guys...except clickers.

It surprised me, but you can actually stealth several of the areas involving human enemies with a couple of takedowns. A few of the areas can even be ghosted. But obviously the clickers are the enemies I'm really talking about with that game since, like in this new Alien title, if they grab you...

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

7c Nickel posted:

I knew this would exist.

Comics are a whore of a medium.

I remember reading the first Batman vs Aliens book, and they showed a facehugger attacking a crocodile. This is what resulted:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

More new screenshots revealed

I'm starting to get a little excited about the game, despite my better judgment :cry:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe it's only for the promo shots, but showing the Alien in a brightly lit environment is... not a good idea. Thing looks goofy.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I like how even the risque calendar in the last screen is the 1970s idea of risque. Also, the alien is huge. Interesting to see it basically ignoring everything except for Alien 1.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nthman posted:

Throw a mollie at one clicker, watch as all his friends swarm over to join in the fire party!

Seriously molotovs are amazing against clickers, their 'swarming towards sound' mechanic actually works against them when fire is involved.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
They've got some delicious DoF effects going on in the previews.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Those screens are absolutely gorgeous. The alien looks "gorgeous" too, very faithful to the original. They've got that lighting style from the film where there's very little or no ambient light so open doors are immediately plunged into darkness. I noticed in the screenshot with the calendar, the model looks very similar to Ripley (remember the controversial scene in the locker at the end of the film)?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Who's going to be the first person to preorder it ?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really like the style of the ship equipment. CRT monitors with glare shields, giant clicky keyboards, and everything has bulky, slightly rounded white/beige casing. Not only does it look very Alien 1, but also just slightly used and obsolete like an office that spends years or decades without upgrading to new equipment.

God, imagine if they made it so everything was like inside an Apple store and with holographic displays and controls.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

DoombatINC posted:

I was a Brink pre-order victim. My reward was a TF2 hat called "Genuine Anger," an item that couldn't possibly have a more apropos name.

Got me too, except I was on the 360. I don't know how I managed to talk myself into that one. I'm just glad the friends I mentioned it to A. didn't listen and didn't buy it and B. still speak to me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People were talking about the potential size of the ship and I only now noticed that in the gameplay video there are a few shots where they look outside the windows:

Of course the game will use only parts of that but it shows there's lots of space and even a potential for vast areas.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if they included lv-426, the crashed engineer's ship, a crew member getting face hugged, and haven't shown any of that yet. To be hunted down by a single alien in a ship that size is pretty drat coincidental.

I hope they do because this game engine is really pretty and if the game doesn't suck it would be pretty cool to explore part of the planet and the engineer's ship.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vira posted:

I'm starting to wonder if they included lv-426, the crashed engineer's ship, a crew member getting face hugged, and haven't shown any of that yet. To be hunted down by a single alien in a ship that size is pretty drat coincidental.

I hope they do because this game engine is really pretty and if the game doesn't suck it would be pretty cool to explore part of the planet and the engineer's ship.

The horror and suspense genre is one that completely relies on coincidence.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vira posted:

This is the exact kind of mindless fanservice that gave Colonial Marines a colossally stupid plot that shat all over Aliens in the name of getting to recreate setting from the movie.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Calling it now, one of your companions turns out to be a nefarious company stooge and/or android, and a portion of the game will be spent evading a homicidal businessman with a pipe and goading him into getting killed by the alien.

Also at some point you'll have to go space-walking for some vertigo-inducing, Gravity-esque space-acrobatics.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ChickenHeart posted:

Also at some point you'll have to go space-walking for some vertigo-inducing, Gravity-esque space-acrobatics.
I agree that there will be QTE sections.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Palpek posted:

I agree that there will be QTE sections.

I didn't see any in the preview, but that seems likely. Actually, that bit in the preview where she burns open the emergency lock feels like it would be prime fodder for QTEs.

I just hope there's no "Caught by the Alien, mash X to punch and escape!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is the exact kind of mindless fanservice that gave Colonial Marines a colossally stupid plot that shat all over Aliens in the name of getting to recreate setting from the movie.

They already hosed up by putting Ripley's daughter in there. As if anyone gives a poo poo about what Ripley's daughter was doing while she was missing.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I care about what Ripley's daughter was doing if it turns out she was sneaking around inside a pretty and well-made alien game. If.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I remember the rationale for Ripley's Daughter was that she would be pretty much the only one who cares about finding out what happened to mommy dearest. I suppose it might explain her staying on board the ship when any sane person would see the xenomorph and gently caress right out the airlock.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, they're at least tackling her character in a somewhat reasonable way. It's dumb as hell that they're trying to shoehorn Ripley's daughter into the game in the first place, but the setup isn't the terrible mess that I thought it would be at least.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Good to know none of the other people on the ship had any family that gave a poo poo about them.

Or maybe Ripley's daughter forms all the offspring into some kind of Scooby Doo gang to go find out what happened.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It seems really goofy to me and it reeks of the same thing that Aliens Colonial Marines did. It really doesn't make sense to me. They brought along Ripley in Aliens because she was the only one who had even seen the Alien and survived but now apparently more people know about the Alien. I mean up until Alien:Resurrection, the xenomorphs were pretty rare creatures.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
To be fair, "We want a female character in our game" is going to be met with no 9 times out of 10. "We want a female Ripley in our Alien game" is a much easier sell to marketing departments.

Also realize this was developed during the Colonial Marines disaster. A failure at that level would easily push most marketing companies to go back to the safest basics possible, ie a Ripley. Safe sells, and this needs to sell for SEGA.

Not excusing it, just saying Creative Assembly might not have had all that much choice when it came to plot/setting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Good to know none of the other people on the ship had any family that gave a poo poo about them.

So you're saying what we need is a wacky ensemble cast of Ripley's daughter, Lambert's brother, Kane's sister, Kotto's son, Dallas' estranged wife, and Brett's slightly racist but still lovable elderly mother.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kibayasu posted:

So you're saying what we need is a wacky ensemble cast of Ripley's daughter, Lambert's brother, Kane's sister, Kotto's son, Dallas' estranged wife, and Brett's slightly racist but still lovable elderly mother.

You just dreamed up a wonderful game that I'll never get to play. Thanks jerk.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

So you're saying what we need is a wacky ensemble cast

It's about time somebody merged Alien and Red Dwarf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I read a Game Informer article that had a few short quotes from a (maybe lead?) developer that were pretty definitive. He was very adamant that this is a survival-horror game, you'd be facing one xeno for the entire game, and that there wouldn't be sections where you gun down countless mercs/company guys.

One thing I like is that apparently you have to either watch the motion sensor or look up at the environment, you can't do both at the same time. So there will be moments where your looking at the motion sensor and you put it down for a second and BAM! Xeno all up in your face. Cautiously optimistic.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 21, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Still don't understand why all the hate for Ripley's daughter. I love the character Ripley and by proxy I'm already attached to her daughter as a character, who presumably has the same balls, smarts and tenacity as her mom or whatever. On the other hand, I don't give a crap about faceless Weyland employee #24852 or personality-bereft lughead Marine dude, who normally seem to be the subject of Alien franchise or survival horror games.

Presumably people are still annoyed that their ~*precious canon*~ has been violated or something? In which case, take a leap of imagination and consider the possibility that Burke, as you could easily expect, lied about what happened to Ripley's daughter in Aliens as ammo for convincing her to go to LV-426? Pick a photo of some old lady, say she lived happily ever after, etc?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Still don't understand why all the hate for Ripley's daughter. I love the character Ripley and by proxy I'm already attached to her daughter as a character, who presumably has the same balls, smarts and tenacity as her mom or whatever. On the other hand, I don't give a crap about faceless Weyland employee #24852 or personality-bereft lughead Marine dude, who normally seem to be the subject of Alien franchise or survival horror games.

Presumably people are still annoyed that their ~*precious canon*~ has been violated or something? In which case, take a leap of imagination and consider the possibility that Burke, as you could easily expect, lied about what happened to Ripley's daughter in Aliens as ammo for convincing her to go to LV-426? Pick a photo of some old lady, say she lived happily ever after, etc?

Nope, it's because slavish devotion to canon was what got them in trouble with Colonial Marines, among other things. The initial worry was that they'd be too busy going "LOOK HOW MUCH LIKE THE MOVIES THIS IS, REMEMBER RIPLEY'S DAUGHTER" instead of focusing on something original and non-fanservicey and, well, good. Fortunately it's seeming like they're avoiding that trap.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seriously just watch like the first two minutes of Colonial Marines to see them cram every Aliens movie plot or visual reference they can possibly think of into the opening FMV sequence.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I just don't want the dumb fanservice that has them going around various locations already featured in the movies. Give us something that's faithful in spirit but not a rehash.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I'm hoping someone better at it than I can make a Alien: Isolation-specific thread, wholly separate from this Colonial Marines thread (although I understand the skepticism over another game in the series after how badly we've all been burned by CM).

From what I've seen, I'm excited about this game and I hope it sticks more to survival horror and minimizes any run-and-gun scenarios.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Caustic posted:

I'm hoping someone better at it than I can make a Alien: Isolation-specific thread, wholly separate from this Colonial Marines thread (although I understand the skepticism over another game in the series after how badly we've all been burned by CM).

From what I've seen, I'm excited about this game and I hope it sticks more to survival horror and minimizes any run-and-gun scenarios.

It is probably time for an Isolation thread, since this one was very dead other than to laugh at $2.00 digital sales because Colonial Marines is terrible.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

MUFFlNS posted:

It's about time somebody merged Alien and Red Dwarf.

I think they did that a few times already

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

IrvingWashington posted:

I think they did that a few times already

Yup, a bunch of episodes and sets riffed on those films. Up to and including having the Red Dwarf's captain played by the same actor as the mayor/overseer of Hadley's Hope.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Nope. I think it is just pretty dumb that every game in the series has to be related to Ripley or someone related to Ripley. While A:CM was a pile of poo poo, trying to shoehorn in Hicks only added to that pile of poo poo.

But then again, I think gamers have some serious cult of personality issues. Its the reason why we still got Sam Fisher even though he looks, sounds, and acts nothing like the old Sam Fisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope, it's because slavish devotion to canon was what got them in trouble with Colonial Marines, among other things. The initial worry was that they'd be too busy going "LOOK HOW MUCH LIKE THE MOVIES THIS IS, REMEMBER RIPLEY'S DAUGHTER" instead of focusing on something original and non-fanservicey and, well, good. Fortunately it's seeming like they're avoiding that trap.

What?

Colonial Marines looked like poo poo from the getgo. The early parts of this thread are goons saying it looks like poo poo, and asking the few people who were excited for it why they were. Hicks, Bishop, and the "slavish" devotion to the canon were only hinted at by Randy P, and most of us waved it off as marketing speak. The most common thing people said was "Oh man, a Marine only game. I loved the Marine campaign in AVP, a full game of that could be great." not "I'm so excited to see what they do with the canon."

Then namedropping Ripley right off the bat isn't a great sign ( because as you said, fanservice never equals a quality product ), but it has nothing to do with Colonial Marines. Same with the excitement over this game. Most people here at least didn't get excited for Colonial Marines.

Hell, I remember a few people outside of SA saying Colonial Marines would be good because "it's not tied to the movies! It won't be fanservice!" prior to it's launch.

• Locked thread