Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

morestuff posted:

This seems so far outside the realm of normal usage that it's hard to care about.

The only reason why I cared about it is the worry that it's cumulative. If I managed to get enough IR over something in the course of a week that takes more than a few days to go away, then it won't have gone away fully before the new cycle starts the next week. It compounds week over week and then I get something that IS noticeable on every day viewing and isn't going away.

So, the IR didn't bother me so much that it was there. It was, however, a constant reminder to keep track of my viewing habits because it could cause the problem to become permanent.

Panasonic themselves say follow a 10% rule which seems totally reasonable at first glance, but it honestly doesn't take much to exceed that. If you watch 4 hours of TV a night, just 2 hours of programming on one network a week could cause you problems depending on the opacity of the network bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Hey Goons in the know, would you take one of these over the other?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50F5500-50-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00BD8TOTG/ref=sr_1_45?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1389660933&sr=1-45

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55FH6030-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BCGRYY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389660273&sr=8-2&keywords=+UN55FH6003F

VVV Or should I just go with the one below VVV

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 14, 2014

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

I would return it. Most image retention should go away in like..a few minutes. If that thing is still there, that might be actual burn-in.

Yeah, this is seeming like the best course of action. Best Buy currently has the Samsung PN51F5500 for $650 new, which is a lot cheaper than it is elsewhere. Reviews generally peg it as a slight downgrade from the S60, partially due to a usually-higher price, but $650 seems like a pretty drat good deal in the S60's absence.

Edit: That is actually the PN51F5300, which does seem to have generally positive reviews, except in the area of input lag. Amazon has the PN51F5500 for just shy of $800, which seems to be about the going rate for that one.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 14, 2014

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, this is seeming like the best course of action. Best Buy currently has the Samsung PN51F5500 for $650 new, which is a lot cheaper than it is elsewhere. Reviews generally peg it as a slight downgrade from the S60, partially due to a usually-higher price, but $650 seems like a pretty drat good deal in the S60's absence.

Edit: That is actually the PN51F5300, which does seem to have generally positive reviews, except in the area of input lag. Amazon has the PN51F5500 for just shy of $800, which seems to be about the going rate for that one.

FYI, Costco & BJ's have the PN51F5350 (which is the big-box model) for $579. If I don't get a display-unit S60, I'm probably going to go with that.

I looked at a F5300 today in stores and it seemed pretty good actually.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
I ordered a 55" VT60 from Amazon and it was delivered this weekend. So far, it's awesome. The black levels are incredible. Beyond inky. What is darker than inky? Black hole?

I was planning on getting the 55" ST60, but I waited too long and they started to sell out and escalate in price. By the time I purchased, the 55" VT60 seemed like a better deal at $1500 than the 55" ST60 at $1350.

I took it out of the box and immediately set it to the "THX Cinema" image preset, and it looks great. I quickly found it's impossible to avoid watching anything with static images during the first 100 hours, especially with the football playoffs going on, so gently caress that AVS Forum rule. Played a bunch of Mario Kart last night, and couldn't detect any input lag at all. (Although I guess that's more of a big deal with the ST than the VT.)

Bonus Amazon tip: The TV arrived with a minor ding, about 1cm, on the front edge of the metallic stand base. The box was undamaged, curiously. I certainly wasn't going to reject delivery for something so minor. I contacted Amazon support and they gave me a $100 refund! No questions asked. I may put that towards an extended warranty, given bull3964's experience.

So, what's the moral of this story? If you see a VT60 still for sale at a reasonable price, snatch it up now. Amazon is only showing 1 left right now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Heads up for anyone interested, the new 2014 Vizio E-Series tvs have started popping up in different stores.

Amazon has the 30 and 40" models now: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E400i-B...ywords=e400i-b2

CostCo had the 50" on earlier this morning, but the listing has disappeared. It may have sold out.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

US retailers will probably have some decent sales before the Superbowl, yes?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Argyle posted:

US retailers will probably have some decent sales before the Superbowl, yes?

It's possible. However, if you have a TV in mind now, I wouldn't wait to buy. Any sale will be starting Sunday the 26th, so you'll be within a price match window if the price drops for a sale and won't have to worry about stock supplies.

I should be snagging a KDL-55W900A tomorrow. Frys apparently has it for $1699 which is $300 under Best Buy's price. I should be able to get them to price match it.

Repair estimate on my $1600 55ST50 is $2100 after tax if it were possible to fix it. However, the panel is no longer available, so it can't be repaired.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 16, 2014

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's possible. However, if you have a TV in mind now, I wouldn't wait to buy. Any sale will be starting Sunday the 26th, so you'll be within a price match window if the price drops for a sale and won't have to worry about stock supplies.

I should be snagging a KDL-55W900A tomorrow. Frys apparently has it for $1699 which is $300 under Best Buy's price. I should be able to get them to price match it.

Repair estimate on my $1600 55ST50 is $2100 after tax if it were possible to fix it. However, the panel is no longer available, so it can't be repaired.

Does everyone here buy warranties on their TVs [squaretrade on Amazon specifically]?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

rizzo1001 posted:

Does everyone here buy warranties on their TVs [squaretrade on Amazon specifically]?

I've traditionally had excellent luck with electronics so I tend not to purchase extended warranties. My American Express credit card automatically extends warranty coverage for a year past manufacturers warranty.

I usually find that if something doesn't break within two years, it's probably good for a long time.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I've traditionally had excellent luck with electronics so I tend not to purchase extended warranties. My American Express credit card automatically extends warranty coverage for a year past manufacturers warranty.

I usually find that if something doesn't break within two years, it's probably good for a long time.

Oh, so was this through Panasonic or AmEx? I only ask because I too bought an 55ST50 w/ my AmEx (~15mo. old).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

rizzo1001 posted:

Oh, so was this through Panasonic or AmEx? I only ask because I too bought an 55ST50 w/ my AmEx (~15mo. old).

Amex.

To be clear, I haven't had my claim approved yet. I started the process last week and the step I'm on right now requires the receipt and repair estimate to be faxed over which I did this afternoon. I had to resort to getting Geek Squad to come out to give me a repair estimate since the closest repair place that Panasonic referred me to apparently won't make house calls any further than 10 miles away and I had no means to transport a 55" 70lb TV 37 miles to a shop that was only open 9-5 Mon-Fri. Amex just wants a quote from a verified repair facility, so I'm hoping Best Buy counts as that. I knew it was uneconomical (actually impossible now due to lack of parts) to fix from the start of the problem, I basically just need someone in authority to rubber stamp a statement to that effect for American Express.

I'm not waiting for the Amex claim to go through before I buy a new TV because at this point, they either approve or deny. Regardless of the outcome, I need a new TV because the yellow is very distracting when it shows up, so there's not much point in waiting. The TV will be 21 months to the day tomorrow when I go buy its replacement.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Ok, I'm probably going overboard, but after my last 2 TV's having the shittiest input lag ever, I'm looking at picking up a Sony KDL-55W900A or KDL-55W802A

KDL-55W900A: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZ0M/

KDL-55W802A: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZ1G/

Yes, 3D is a thing for me. I guess I chugged that koolaid and now I can't stop. Can anyone see $500 worth of difference in these 2 sets? I can swing either of them, but 500 bucks is 500 bucks. I allocated myself 2k for a new TV this time around to get something nice instead of a budget LCD.

Is there a significant enough difference between 240 vs 120 hz to really notice a difference? I loathe clear motion or whatever its called for whatever MFR. Sounds like it can be disabled on either of these sets, so happy with that. I have consoles/PC's connected to my current TV, so the available built in apps are negligible. I just want a solid image, 3D, and as low of input lag as I can get.

I really want a 60", but I'm willing to flex for something decent. Also have been looking at Samsungs, but from my understanding is their 60" panels are Sharp displays, and thats one of the vendors I'm trying to stay away from.

I am leaning more toward to 900A for the higher refresh rate. My experience with computer monitors at 60hz vs 120 hz is like night and day. My 120hz I can look at all day long, and my eyes feel as fresh as a summer day. While my 60hz panels at work feel like rubbing my eyeballs with sandpaper. Well, not quite, but there is a noticeable difference in comfort between them.

~edit: also, I'm one of those assholes who makes people play Rockband still when they come over, so viewing angle was another concern. These TV's supposedly have a decent viewing arc. Anyone hear, see or read anything contrary?

Syves fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Viewing angle as been described as decent on these TVs. There's some contrast loss off axis, but it's not hugely distorted.

The two big differences between the 900a and the 802a are the motion processor and the triluminos display.

I doubt the refresh rate is going to matter much for gaming at this point. You need to enable motion processing on each set in order to take advantage of the refresh rate to increase motion resolution and you won't want to do that while playing games since it will introduce lag.

I know you talk about a difference between 60hz and 120hz for your monitors you use, but I can assure you they hurt for a different reason. That refresh rate has NOTHING at all to do with flicker and is simply the rate at which things can change on the screen. Your difference in eye fatigue is either environmental, the backlight used in the display, or due to different display settings. No console is going to push beyond 1080p60 (and that needs HDMI 1.4b), so 60hz is just fine for gaming.

The 802a has better lag numbers than the 900a, but both are excellent. You are talking ~16ms for the 802a and ~19ms for the 900a. So, it's pretty much a wash.

The only other thing is the triluminos display and it actually isn't a gimmick. The color reproduction of the 900a is nearly reference quality when calibrated. It uses glowing crystals excited by the LEDs to have a RGB backlight rather than simply a white one.

So, if you are fine with the color reproduction of the 802a, then that seems like the easier bet. Just to make things a bit more difficult though, people have had success with getting Amazon to match Frys on the 900a. They are currently (until the end of today) selling the TV at $1699 so your difference would only be $213.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

So, if you are fine with the color reproduction of the 802a, then that seems like the easier bet. Just to make things a bit more difficult though, people have had success with getting Amazon to match Frys on the 900a. They are currently (until the end of today) selling the TV at $1699 so your difference would only be $213.

Do you happen to have a link for that? I just see the 990a listed on Fry's right now for $2999...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syves posted:

Do you happen to have a link for that? I just see the 990a listed on Fry's right now for $2999...

You have to create an account and add it to cart for it to show up at the lower price. I just know that apparently people have had success in getting Amazon to price match it.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
Pillbug
Ahh. I see. Thanks for that! Probably see if I can get 'zon to bite. I already have prime, so shipping is nothing right now.

~e: Went to the local Best Buy. They matched it for me, so I have it now. Just need to set it up. Sadly, won't be for a few days. Super thanks for the heads up!

Syves fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 17, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BB priced matched me as well.

Viewing angles, as expected are a bit of a disappointment after the ST50. Blacks, when watching dead on, aren't a TON different. I'm still dialing in the set and don't expect to really get it fully reigned in until the weekend. It's going to be an adjustment coming from plasma since their 'look' is a bit different even when you take everything else out of the equation. However, initial impressions of the TV are good.

I will say this thing destroys the Panasonic at 3d.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Panasonic is said to have subpar 3D, yeah.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I have a Sony Bravia KDL which is going on six years old. Had the screen replaced last year under warranty, how much life would be left in it? Assuming it was a new screen that went in and not a refurb or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My parents have a 42 inch Panasonic plasma. About a year or so ago their house was struck by lightning or something, ruining quite a few electronics. The TV still turns on, the panel obviously still works since all the menus still come up on the screen, but none of the inputs work. My parents told me that if I don't come take it they're gonna throw it away.

Obviously I can't expect anyone here to know exactly what's wrong with it or if it's possible/worthwhile to fix it, but I'd certainly like to if it can be done for $100 or so. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boards are all pretty modular on these TVs and fairly easy to swap out. You just need to figure out which is the one that was likely fried by the storm, find a replacement, and see if it's worth the cost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I spent an hour and a half with my new TV and my new toy that arrived today, a Spectracal C3 and Calman 5 Tutorial.

And now I'm done and I feel MUCH better about this TV coming from my ST50. Uniformity on bright screens still isn't perfect and the viewing angles are normal LCD stuff, but now the TV feels spot on and extremely close (if not better in some ways) to the viewing experience of my ST50.

I also noticed one dead pixel when I was up close to the TV which is interesting because I threw slides up as soon as I got it out of the box and didn't notice it. Can't see it from any of the viewing positions so I'm not going to sweat it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Walmart has a 60" LG 60PN5000 1080p plasma for $650. The closest thing I can find to a review online is this AVS Forum thread, which has a lot of generally positive impressions. Anyone have any experience with this set?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

My parents have a 42 inch Panasonic plasma. About a year or so ago their house was struck by lightning or something, ruining quite a few electronics. The TV still turns on, the panel obviously still works since all the menus still come up on the screen, but none of the inputs work. My parents told me that if I don't come take it they're gonna throw it away.

Obviously I can't expect anyone here to know exactly what's wrong with it or if it's possible/worthwhile to fix it, but I'd certainly like to if it can be done for $100 or so. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

The parts themselves if you tried to buy them new/used can be expensive or impossible to find(depending on the age of the TV and the specific part, of course), but if you find someone on craigslist/ebay who has one with a broken panel/etc and you offer him $20 or whatever and pick it up, you might be able to frankenstein one working TV out of the two broken ones. It doesn't always have to be the exact same TV for this to work, find out the year/generation of the TV and just look for similar models(you can ignore the size, different size TV's of the same generation/panel type often use the same internals).

Another option is to try and find someone locally who fixes TV's and see if they have the part you need, probably come out cheaper that way then trying to find it new/used on the internet. I know a guy who repairs TVs as a side job and he makes a decent bit of side cash from it. Sure he has a garage full of broken TV's he paid $20 for on craigslist, but every time he gets another one he can usually frankenstein one working TV out of the lot then flip that back on craigslist for a few hundred dollars profit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2008-bought Panasonic TH-42PZ80 is still cranking away and still looks great. Gonna miss this tv when it finally goes.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I really want a Panasonic TC-P50S60 for my house.

However I can't seem to find one in stock ANYWHERE.

Where are you people finding these TVs? I'd really appreciate some help on this as my wife is trying to redecorate the entire living room. Thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only way you are likely to get one at this point is to troll open box sales at big box retailers. They are pretty much otherwise sold out.

I'm pretty sure they built every drat last panel too as I saw someone on AVS mention that his needed a panel replacement under warranty and they were already out of stock for parts.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

bull3964 posted:

The only way you are likely to get one at this point is to troll open box sales at big box retailers. They are pretty much otherwise sold out.

I'm pretty sure they built every drat last panel too as I saw someone on AVS mention that his needed a panel replacement under warranty and they were already out of stock for parts.

Hmmm then maybe even getting one brand new might be a terrible idea if you can't even get warranty service on them.

What's a good second choice for a sub $800 TV in the 50" range with low input lag for gaming?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the Samsung F5500 has similar input lag numbers in game mode (~35 ms) as the S60. The picture isn't quite as good in some ways, but it's pretty affordable too. That seems to be the next decent budget plasma to turn to at this point. Samsung is still in the game (for now), they will probably exit plasma near the end of this year.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

I really want a Panasonic TC-P50S60 for my house.

However I can't seem to find one in stock ANYWHERE.

Where are you people finding these TVs? I'd really appreciate some help on this as my wife is trying to redecorate the entire living room. Thanks!

You can find them in the clearance section on Best Buys website and you could check the Sears Outlet website. You're boned though if you need to warranty it, and the TVs you find will prob be the floor models.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

catch22 posted:

You can find them in the clearance section on Best Buys website and you could check the Sears Outlet website. You're boned though if you need to warranty it, and the TVs you find will prob be the floor models.

Thanks for the info, found one!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

The parts themselves if you tried to buy them new/used can be expensive or impossible to find(depending on the age of the TV and the specific part, of course), but if you find someone on craigslist/ebay who has one with a broken panel/etc and you offer him $20 or whatever and pick it up, you might be able to frankenstein one working TV out of the two broken ones. It doesn't always have to be the exact same TV for this to work, find out the year/generation of the TV and just look for similar models(you can ignore the size, different size TV's of the same generation/panel type often use the same internals).

Another option is to try and find someone locally who fixes TV's and see if they have the part you need, probably come out cheaper that way then trying to find it new/used on the internet. I know a guy who repairs TVs as a side job and he makes a decent bit of side cash from it. Sure he has a garage full of broken TV's he paid $20 for on craigslist, but every time he gets another one he can usually frankenstein one working TV out of the lot then flip that back on craigslist for a few hundred dollars profit.

I popped the back off this bad boy. I don't know what I should be looking for with regards to which board is fried or whatever. Anybody have any tips? I'm guessing it's the board with all the inputs, but I don't know if there's anything to indicate if the board is fried or whatever.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
WHY THE gently caress ARE 70" TV's nearly a thousand dollars more than their 60" sister models? Sorry, just had to get that out...

I've been watching prices on 70" LED's for 3-4 months and am a little bummed about the lack of movement. 60" models have dropped through the floor while their big sisters are still selling at a premium it seems. Specifically I've been watching the Sharp LC70le650u. Amazon has had the lowest price for some time now at just under $1800. Unfortunately though, that's just a bit too rich for my blood, my goal is to keep this under $1500.

So here is the question, is there any reason to still think of Visio as a third tier manufacture? For the last 2 TV's I've avoided them without much thought, in my head I still just have the image of a huge Vizio box sitting in the back of a gardeners truck pulling out of a Costco parking lot the morning of an Oscar De La Hoya fight.

The reason I ask this is because of the Vizio 70" Class 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart TV E701i-A3 http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Razor-LED-Smart-TV-E701i-A3.product.100015771.html .. currently going for $1479 at Costco.

Has anyone here had any experience with this model? It seems to hit all of the check boxes as far as numbers go, but I'm just having a hard time shaking the Vizio factor.

For someone who's in the market for the "bang for you buck" 70" LED, is this as good as i'm going to do?

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
Not sure if this has been discussed; apologies if it has.

I've recently gotten the desire to get an HDTV for an HTPC setup. I'm already overwhelmed at the options and factors involved when it comes to TV shopping; its very stressful to make the choice. However, I recently discovered that some people have been "overclocking" their HDTVs to accept and display 120Hz (as long as the TV is capable of doing it in the first place). My PC monitor is a 120Hz so I'm spoiled by that; the thought of being able to achieve that on a television is enticing. It is a bit annoying that there's claims of 120Hz, 240Hz, 480Hz when it's usually some fancy image processing or whatnot, so it's hard to make out what TV is actually capable of doing "Real" 120Hz.

Has anyone else done something similar before? If so, what TV did you accomplish it with? Thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bestbuy.com lists the real refresh rates of TVs they stock.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sointenly posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE 70" TV's nearly a thousand dollars more than their 60" sister models? Sorry, just had to get that out...

I've been watching prices on 70" LED's for 3-4 months and am a little bummed about the lack of movement. 60" models have dropped through the floor while their big sisters are still selling at a premium it seems. Specifically I've been watching the Sharp LC70le650u. Amazon has had the lowest price for some time now at just under $1800. Unfortunately though, that's just a bit too rich for my blood, my goal is to keep this under $1500.

So here is the question, is there any reason to still think of Visio as a third tier manufacture? For the last 2 TV's I've avoided them without much thought, in my head I still just have the image of a huge Vizio box sitting in the back of a gardeners truck pulling out of a Costco parking lot the morning of an Oscar De La Hoya fight.

The reason I ask this is because of the Vizio 70" Class 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart TV E701i-A3 http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Razor-LED-Smart-TV-E701i-A3.product.100015771.html .. currently going for $1479 at Costco.

Has anyone here had any experience with this model? It seems to hit all of the check boxes as far as numbers go, but I'm just having a hard time shaking the Vizio factor.

For someone who's in the market for the "bang for you buck" 70" LED, is this as good as i'm going to do?

http://www.woot.com/offers/vizio-70-1080p-led-smart-tv-with-wi-fi-7

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Saw this, i'm not a fan of refurbs and definitely dont feel great about big purchases through Woot.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=a6795313

70le650u for $1599 (add to cart to see final price)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Good find and thank you.

Although now after reading review i'm not sure the Sharp is the clear winner between the two. I may hitup the local BB and see if they will price match this.