Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Winter Follies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SubNat posted:

Moomin's Winter Follies

This is so enchanting, I really look forward to this every day.

Cul-de-sac

That went better than expected, whew.

The Creeps

That went better than exp...:stonk:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what Rip Kirby is about. Gangsters maybe? One thing's for sure, I'm not going to take the second and a half required to look it up :effort: . Originally from 1954.

It comes pre-Borden-edited. :stare:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Mark Trail

Ah, gently caress. Plot incoming, Rusty unabducted.

And un-tripped. :v:

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't blame you. It used to be hit-or-miss, but when it hit, it really hit. It's been a long time since it really hit for me, but I keep posting it, because honestly sometimes I post one that I think is "meh" and it gets a good reaction. It's rarely "bad," in my opinion, but often it's also not all that funny.

I do think it's better than most single-panel gag strips though, and I like the art.

I agree. I have the same feelings about Bizarro. To me, most of the time, it's really pretty much bland (not unlike Non Sequitur), but when it nails one, it hits it out of the park.

This would've been way funnier, Boyce, if the guy standing was handing the guy leaning against the tree, another bottle with a note in it. Regardless, congratulations on your new found clarity! :v:

Jane's World

:10bux: says the explanation regarding Alexa was a last minute edit by Paige in response to the comments (although, the comments associated with this installment are basically the same as yesterday's) on GoComics. :cheeky:

Non Sequitur

You actually believe that crap, Joe? It's almost like Bob is Conspiracy Frog's twin.

Heavenly Nostrils is still stuck on the 18th. I wonder what's up?

Kliban's Cats

Mmmmm, poi! Num!

9 Chickweed Lane 1/21/2003

I would assume that she's not supervising this "game", because, I'm pretty sure Edda, that wouldn't fly in a Catholic school. Nice try, though.

Zits

Those are clearly "real band names". Years ago, back when punk was a thing, I used to go to clubs in the then River Street side of the Cleveland, Ohio "Flats", and listen to a really pretty good local punk band called "Millions Of Dead French Fries". So, yeah.

Kevin & Kell

OK, this is sort of amusing, Holbrook. I can totally see preschool kids pulling a stunt like this.

Nemi

I had no idea what she was talking about until I GIS'd it. Never saw the movie. Is what she's saying correct? Because, it is kind of funny that the only pair of shoes the character could find would be high heels... in a post apocalyptic movie. :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts

Aw come on, don't you recognize hibernation when you see it?

Funky Winkerbean

Notice how the trainer deftly dodges the question "What type of monsters would name their kid 'Funky'?"

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 24, 1956)

I spend a lot of time in these posts predicting the past, too. What a coincidence.

Out Our Way (April 16-17, 1924)

And then the baby accidentally hits him in the nuts and playtime is over.

Interesting forearms. Must be training by the Popeye method.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 21, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
By request

Monty

Mike du Jour

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Resistance on a treadmill? :raise:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Normally done by increasing the angle.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Every tread mill I have ever used has a speed and incline setting.

Resistance is usually on ellipticals and bikes.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Spider-Man (Dec. 14-20, 2008)

In some nutty way, I guess we all win.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Killjoy Comix was here.

Pooch Café

I've seen that done with pancakes, you put a little batter in a squeeze bottle and draw it on the pan a few minutes before you pour the rest out, and you end up with a little happy face scorched into it. For burger patties you'd need a sausage gun.

Ballard Street

She's weighing you down, Arthur! Cut the line!

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't know what Rip Kirby is about. Gangsters maybe? One thing's for sure, I'm not going to take the second and a half required to look it up :effort: . Originally from 1954.

I used to read Rip Kirby in old issues of Agent X9 (Swedish comic magazine focused on mystery/crime comics). Basically, it's about a private-detective and his ex-criminal butler/sidekick. Needless to say, they fight crime.
I remember it being pretty good most of the time, especially the strips drawn by Alex Raymond.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
February 26 & 27, 1918

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Faude Carfilhiot posted:

I used to read Rip Kirby in old issues of Agent X9 (Swedish comic magazine focused on mystery/crime comics). Basically, it's about a private-detective and his ex-criminal butler/sidekick. Needless to say, they fight crime.
I remember it being pretty good most of the time, especially the strips drawn by Alex Raymond.
Agent X9 also featured Modesty Blaise, I think (or was she in Magnum? Possibly both). I never got into it as a kid though, always preferred Larson! with its Far Side and Foxtrot and whatever else it was running (I think Ballard Street was in there, too). This thread is what got me actually reading and following Modesty Blaise.

To be fair it probably didn't help that they were all translated into Swedish, and some dialogue just doesn't work when you do that. I wonder if the translator attempted to find any equivalent for Willie's accent? I should look this up.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (November 17, 22-23, 1983)

You know you're in deep poo poo when Grand'ma Ben ISN'T smiling.

Nina's Adventures (January 31, 1995)

If Stephanie McMillan knew how to draw, her cartoons would look like this.

Lucky Cow (March 18-20, 2004)

"Mr. Wiggly won't be checking out." :smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look I'll settle for manslaughter but accessory to murder is right out!

For the hell of it, I visited gocomics and went back to August 1st with Jane's World. No mention of Alexa. I'd go back further but I think the point is clear.

Also Jane is goddamn huge.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

Now you're just being petty.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (January 31, 1995)

If Stephanie McMillan knew how to draw, her cartoons would look like this.

Yes. Although I'm finding Paley's drawing style rather wearing to look at. Somehow, it's the graphic equivalent of ALL CAPS.

I'm also still trying to figure out which 2x4 Paley is trying to hit people over the head with in these, and the answer I keep coming up with is "all of them."

I think what gets to me is that her autobiographical character is so very passively victim-ish. All of this terribly unfair, bad stuff happens to her, and the best she can manage to do is put up with it and internally fume/whine about it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The Betty Ford Clinic is best known as a recuperative center for celebrities suffering from 'exhaustion'.

Calvin And Hobbes

I was set to dismiss Bob The Squirrel based solely on the name, but I kind of like today's, even if it is a joke that's being hammered into the ground.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

TofuDiva posted:

I think what gets to me is that her autobiographical character is so very passively victim-ish. All of this terribly unfair, bad stuff happens to her, and the best she can manage to do is put up with it and internally fume/whine about it.
I followed my boyfriend (who is clearly not that into me) all the way to India and he broke up with me over email :qq: Truly I have suffered as much as Sita at the hands of Rama!

Also copyright sucks because I used music in my film without proper permissions :qq:

EDIT:
↓ ↓ ↓ You're right, copyright is B.S. and extending it into infinity is detrimental to our culture.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 21, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's somewhat dissembling of her issue with copyright, which is the mess of state and federal laws that made it difficult to determine that she even needed permission for what - outside of the US media industry - should be in the public domain.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Local paper has made bunch of articles about Moomin coffee mugs and how ridiculously popular collector items they are. For example this one was sold for 35 euros ten years ago and now people are bidding more than 1000€.

Someone is selling a full set of 64 mugs for 10,600€.

The regular ones are still around 20€ in stores.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

That's pretty rich, considering Froggie's first reaction to Mandrake and Lothar was to pull out a gat.

Hey, everyone, Death Ray is busily working on the Weapon Brown kickstarter bonus story! :allears: Splash page looks great.

drat, that's a fine woody.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

crowfeathers posted:

I can't wait for him to somehow be a villain, even though there appears to be literally no reason for him to do so.

Didn't Kadaver have a copy of "London After Midnight" (famously, a lost film) that he mentioned getting at great cost to the original owner?

Maybe Nitrate is his murderous lost footage hookup.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I keep expecting some kind of murderous plan to be involved, but then I remember the Tracyverse is a little more civilized these days.

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol is about a couple of cops who have a radio in their patrol car. This was a big deal at the time (1943). Also, the cops are Irish. I thought I'd better mention it, since their portrayal is sure to be quite subtle and you might not pick up on it.

Maybe Radio Patrol will give us back some of the gratuitous violence we've been lacking since Dick Tracy changed hands. :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That's what you think a Flip-Off is, Greg?

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Am I wrong in thinking this could potentially be kind of a fun game?

The Amazing Spider-Man

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Now you're just being petty.
Huh now I'm reminded of that one issue of Swamp Thing with the crocodile aliens

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bonestructure posted:

That's pretty rich, considering Froggie's first reaction to Mandrake and Lothar was to pull out a gat.

To say nothing of how one tried to eat an old lady's dog.

Seriously this is a dumb twist and I can only hope that Mandrake and Lothar's reaction is to call them out on this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros & Cons

Thank you for posting Pros & Cons. It is a good comic. And it makes me want to rewatch The Shield.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

It really bothers me that the weekday colorist keeps painting the mark II armor red with a yellow face. It's supposed to be gold, dangit!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Let us take a moment to celebrate Everett True, a man of measured response.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
I'll accept that most cartoonists are much more passive in life than what they draw, and Nina seems perfectly aware of that. Everett True as an example, even Retail before it turned into poorly-planned sitcom drama (When most of the strips were Cooper pulling some prank, and Stuart going "COOPER!"). McMillan wouldn't have her self insert working for a living at the end, she would go off and start the revolution (or eat the rotten fruit that fell off the tree or something). It's just a "life is unfair, but we all have to deal with it".

Ema Nymton posted:

I followed my boyfriend (who is clearly not that into me) all the way to India and he broke up with me over email :qq: Truly I have suffered as much as Sita at the hands of Rama!

Also copyright sucks because I used music in my film without proper permissions :qq:

It was her husband, not a boyfriend, that's a little different. And from what I read on her site and wikipedia, her stance isn't "all copyright is bad", it's "we need a serious rehaul of copyright law." The music was technically public domain but record companies owned parts of it.

Here is a Charles Addams cartoon about artists and copyright;
(no, not really)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thank you! I actually laughed at a Monty. Maybe one day I'll skip over Crap du Jour.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

The Sphinxster posted:

Maybe one day I'll skip over Crap du Jour.
Never too early to start this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Brick Bradford

Old Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I read it so I can groan about how bad it is, like 9 Dickweed Lane. I guess I am full of self loathing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 16-17, 1924)

And then the baby accidentally hits him in the nuts and playtime is over.

Interesting forearms. Must be training by the Popeye method.

You named the kid Delbert. He's gonna need all the help he can get.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm sure he'll grow up to be a fine caretaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Never knew elephants were that handy for breaking in.

• Locked thread