Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
You might not get a period when you stop for the placebo week. What pill are you on? If it's a low dose or a mini pill then that could help explain it. It's just the same response to expel blood that occurs when you stop for the placebo week.

I am under the impression that typical combination pills have a decent window of time they can be taken in. I take my pill anytime between 6:30-10 am without any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

samizdat posted:

You might not get a period when you stop for the placebo week. What pill are you on? If it's a low dose or a mini pill then that could help explain it. It's just the same response to expel blood that occurs when you stop for the placebo week.

I am under the impression that typical combination pills have a decent window of time they can be taken in. I take my pill anytime between 6:30-10 am without any issues.

Tri-Privifem. I'm actually seeing my doctor today for some routine physical so I figure it'll come up. I think I may have missed a pill too at one point, but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

A lot of times if something went weird with my pill schedule, I'd get breakthrough bleeding for the rest of that month until I started a new pack on the right schedule. Annoying, but I don't think it ever hurt anything.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
This probably has 0 relation to each other but I'm hoping maybe someone will at least tell me that so I can rule out that possibility:

I had my wisdom teeth taken out recently and was prescribed an antibiotic for after care. I'm so susceptible to yeast infections from antibiotics I should really ask for a script for treating that too when I get an antibiotic. Needless to say I've got a yeast infection that is the most stubborn loving rear end in a top hat yeast infection I've ever had. I tried the one day generic monistat treatment, which has worked fine before, but that seemed to make it worse. I went to a doctor, got fluconozole, took a 100mg dose of that and it started to go away, then kinda came back, then all day yesterday I was fine so I figured I had finally kicked it. Nope. As I was going to sleep it started acting up and this morning I was MISERABLE. I decided to take the second fluconozole pill that came with my script. Doc said to wait a week to take the pill if I needed it but I was in a lot of discomfort and in checking out the drug facts on it I read that they could be taken day to day so I figured it couldn't hurt me. It's only been about 13 hours and I'm still kinda feeling discomfort.

Now comes my more than likely unrelated question: Would the mirena that I love so much be possibly keeping this thing around? My period has slowed to barely anything so I don't know if there's just such like a build up of lining and all that the meds can't penetrate it to fully kick the infection and that's why it keeps coming back? I don't know if that's even medically sound but I wanted to see if maybe anyone would have insight or advice to get rid of this or if there's a connection I can bring up to a doctor and not sound like an idiot to them. My vagina is driving me crazy.

Yes, in the questions the nurse asks before seeing the doctor they asked about my birth control and last menstrual cycle but I didn't really express that it's so little. I do count the small amount of bleeding as still having a period.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
How do I tell the nurse the date of my last period when my mirena makes it so I just have a little spotting throughout the month?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Honestly it sounds kind of like you're not giving it much time to work. I know yeast infections are pretty miserable so I understand the impatience, but it takes more than a day for them to clear up. Even fluconazole takes more than a day or two to really kick the infection. In my experience (with many many yeast infections and taking fluconazole) it's usually more like a week or two before things feel completely back to normal with treatment and a few days for symptoms to really calm down. Then there's also the unfortunate fact that some of the topical treatments can cause irritation/itching similar to the infection.

Yeast infections are in the vagina/vulva, not the uterus so your uterine lining shouldn't have anything to do with this. Mirena also thins the lining, so not menstruating isn't necessarily going to cause a build up of it in any case. It is possible for the hormones in birth control to make your more susceptible to yeast infections, but I've only heard about it in connection with the pill so I don't know how common that is for Mirena.

Did they test you to see if it was yeast? Antibiotics can cause other conditions like bacterial vaginosis, which is often confused for a yeast infection but wouldn't respond to antifungal treatments.

GabrielAisling posted:

How do I tell the nurse the date of my last period when my mirena makes it so I just have a little spotting throughout the month?

Personally I'd just tell them "I have a Mirena IUD and I don't really have a period because of it." It seems like fairly common knowledge that it's something that can happen with Mirena, so I don't think they're going to freak out.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 18, 2014

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Honestly it sounds kind of like you're not giving it much time to work. I know yeast infections are pretty miserable so I understand the impatience, but it takes more than a day for them to clear up. Even fluconazole takes more than a day or two to really kick the infection. In my experience (with many many yeast infections and taking fluconazole) it's usually more like a week or two before things feel completely back to normal with treatment and a few days for symptoms to really calm down. Then there's also the unfortunate fact that some of the topical treatments can cause irritation/itching similar to the infection.

Yeast infections are in the vagina/vulva, not the uterus so your uterine lining shouldn't have anything to do with this. Mirena also thins the lining, so not menstruating isn't necessarily going to cause a build up of it in any case. It is possible for the hormones in birth control to make your more susceptible to yeast infections, but I've only heard about it in connection with the pill so I don't know how common that is for Mirena.

Did they test you to see if it was yeast? Antibiotics can cause other conditions like bacterial vaginosis, which is often confused for a yeast infection but wouldn't respond to antifungal treatments.

Personally I'd just tell them "I have a Mirena IUD and I don't really have a period because of it." It seems like fairly common knowledge that it's something that can happen with Mirena, so I don't think they're going to freak out.

No they didn't test me. When I said that I've had it before they took my word on it. I have the discharge and all the regular signs of a yeast infection. Is there an obvious difference between the two?
I figured I was being impatient but you're only as happy as your vagina is. What really confused me was how it would ease up then come back, which makes me think it may not be vaginosis.

I had a feeling my question would be stupid but I still wanted to ask :) thanks for the response!

Edit: I think part of my impatience is that generally treatments work right away to knock things out so I'm expecting it to do the same

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 18, 2014

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Personally I'd just tell them "I have a Mirena IUD and I don't really have a period because of it." It seems like fairly common knowledge that it's something that can happen with Mirena, so Idon't think they're going to freak out.

I tried that, and she essentially said "Well, about when was your last period? If it wasn't in the past 30 days, we'll have to give you a pregnancy test."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CeramicPig posted:

No they didn't test me. When I said that I've had it before they took my word on it. I have the discharge and all the regular signs of a yeast infection. Is there an obvious difference between the two?
I figured I was being impatient but you're only as happy as your vagina is. What really confused me was how it would ease up then come back, which makes me think it may not be vaginosis.

I had a feeling my question would be stupid but I still wanted to ask :) thanks for the response!

Edit: I think part of my impatience is that generally treatments work right away to knock things out so I'm expecting it to do the same

Both of them can cause weird discharge, irritation and itching. The signature symptom of bacterial vaginosis is a "fishy" or foul smell, but then I didn't get that when I had BV - I was actually a little shocked when the doctor told me. It's also possible to have a yeast infection and BV at the same time, so you might be getting rid of one while still having the other. Or not, that's all speculation on my part without any kind of testing.

Just from reading your post, I'm not clear on the timeline exactly. But when I took fluconazole, I still had all the usual yeast infection symptoms for probably 1-2 days at least before I really noticed everything clearing up. Are you still on the antibiotics?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
No, thankfully. I went to the doc the day I finished my antibiotics (it wasn't planned, just happened that way).
I've been trying to treat this thing for a little over a week, but I'm getting kinda confused on the timeline too because I'm getting my days confused with work and all (and of course all my documentation for the doctor visit are in my apartment 3 hours away and I'm visiting my parents for the weekend). Cause when I think about it, it seems like I'm expecting it to be completely gone in 12 hours but I know I'm giving meds time to work. I'm absolutely being impatient, but I know I'm forcing myself to wait things out too. Again, its extra frustrating to me because previous treatments have worked so fast so this is probably just an unusually bad infection. There's no odor with mine so hopefully then it's not BV.

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 18, 2014

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

This is what I do. If I'm filling out a form I write "July 2012 - Mirena June 2012". If s/he's asking, I just say I have a Mirena and it's stopped things for now. That's totally a side effect of the Mirena and they will not worry.

edit: A pregnancy test? Does she not know what the Mirena is/does???

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Geolicious posted:

This is what I do. If I'm filling out a form I write "July 2012 - Mirena June 2012". If s/he's asking, I just say I have a Mirena and it's stopped things for now. That's totally a side effect of the Mirena and they will not worry.

When I was getting spinal steroid injections, I had a Mirena. I had to have a pregnancy test every time (I got the shots every 6 weeks) because while the odds were extremely low, it was still possible. At that time I hadn't had a period in like 2 years, so it was annoying but whatever.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Well, looks like it's pretty likely that the Mirena is going to be coming out. More cysts. At this point, the GP is only comfortable with Depo and the mini pill as my remaining options.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CeramicPig posted:

No, thankfully. I went to the doc the day I finished my antibiotics (it wasn't planned, just happened that way).
I've been trying to treat this thing for a little over a week, but I'm getting kinda confused on the timeline too because I'm getting my days confused with work and all (and of course all my documentation for the doctor visit are in my apartment 3 hours away and I'm visiting my parents for the weekend). Cause when I think about it, it seems like I'm expecting it to be completely gone in 12 hours but I know I'm giving meds time to work. I'm absolutely being impatient, but I know I'm forcing myself to wait things out too. Again, its extra frustrating to me because previous treatments have worked so fast so this is probably just an unusually bad infection. There's no odor with mine so hopefully then it's not BV.

Well like I said, it may take more than a day or two for symptoms to clear up even with the meds and stuff. But probably your best option is to just talk to your doctor and see what they suggest as the next step here. And like I mentioned earlier, the one time I had BV there wasn't really any smell going on either and I actually had a yeast infection at the same time. So I had all the yeast symptoms except even more severe/miserable than usual and if my doctor hadn't found it, I probably would have continued to be miserable even with antifungals.

I also don't want to say "Yes definitely it's the Mirena" because there's no way to say for sure, but I know that when I was on hormonal BC I used to get infections like crazy.

Geolicious posted:

I pretty much always tell my doctors I have an IUD anyway just for the sake of keeping them up to date, unless it's really really irrelevant to my appointment like a check up at the dentist or something. But yeah unless they're really not up to date, it's pretty well known Mirena can stop your period altogether (it's even mentioned in their TV commercials!).

The pregnancy test might just be because they're doing something that's really risky for a pregnancy, there is a small chance of failure with any birth control method, and most likely it's just a quick non-invasive urine test.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

It's a student healthcare system, so they're required to test everyone. A case of food poisoning once had me sent up to the gyno suite because I was female and presented with nausea before noon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

It's a student healthcare system, so they're required to test everyone. A case of food poisoning once had me sent up to the gyno suite because I was female and presented with nausea before noon.

It doesn't surprise me really. I know a 19 year old who had been puking for like 3 weeks straight and really only felt sick in the mornings, but the possibility she might be pregnant just never even crossed her mind until someone else pointed it out (and yes she was pregnant). She was convinced she just had a stubborn stomach bug.

Of course with a Mirena it's kind of overkill, but I guess they're thinking better safe than sorry here.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

It doesn't surprise me really. I know a 19 year old who had been puking for like 3 weeks straight and really only felt sick in the mornings, but the possibility she might be pregnant just never even crossed her mind until someone else pointed it out (and yes she was pregnant). She was convinced she just had a stubborn stomach bug.

Of course with a Mirena it's kind of overkill, but I guess they're thinking better safe than sorry here.

Guess it bothered me because I'm a regular? All of the permanent staff know me. I'm in for bc switches and antidepressant meetings and the ocaissional sinus infection. But yeah, just seems like overkill to pregnancy test me every other week, but policies! :j:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

Guess it bothered me because I'm a regular? All of the permanent staff know me. I'm in for bc switches and antidepressant meetings and the ocaissional sinus infection. But yeah, just seems like overkill to pregnancy test me every other week, but policies! :j:

Yeah I understand. Hell it used to irk me a little when I'd head in for an x-ray and I'd tell them "no there's not even a possibility I'm pregnant" (because I wasn't sexually active at all) but they would still test me anyway because there was an assumption that I was lying because I was a teenager at the time. I understood why they did it, but I still didn't care for it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just get pissed at how expensive the charge is when you've got no insurance. A simple UTI turned into a $600 bill for me due to all the stupid extra tests they did with out even consulting me. As a note, if you are ever in Seattle, avoid going to Northwest Hospital at all costs. They literally charge 5X compared to everywhere else and you don't even end up with better service out of it AND they don't even cooperate with insurance for anything (now that i've got insurance...)

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 20, 2014

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
So like the day after I originally posted my yeasty problems and forced myself to be patient and give it the time it needed I finally beat the battle of the bread. My vagina is much happier and thanks to everyone who responded and helped me out! Sorry my questions were a bit dumb, but I'd rather look dumb here than in front of a doctor.

This is the place for questions anyways :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

CeramicPig posted:

So like the day after I originally posted my yeasty problems and forced myself to be patient and give it the time it needed I finally beat the battle of the bread. My vagina is much happier and thanks to everyone who responded and helped me out! Sorry my questions were a bit dumb, but I'd rather look dumb here than in front of a doctor.

This is the place for questions anyways :)

That's what the thread is for! I don't blame you for being impatient, yeast infections are terrible.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Does anyone happen to know if Errin (generic of Micronor) was discontinued or something?

I went to pickup my refill earlier, got home & opened it, and inside was Jencycla. Completely different manufacturer & product name. I took it back & they just said they can't get it anymore.

I refuse to take a different generic. The last time this happened they at least asked me first if I was okay with the switch (and it was only temporary since they would have more Errin 2mo later). Well that generic (It was Jolivette) was a month of pure Hell. So I refuse to take any other generic for Micronor other than the one I've been on for the past 10yrs. I don't want to deal with another nightmare switch. They also used up my freebie refill for the month on a pill I won't take since they couldn't be bothered to say anything when I went to fill it, & they didn't take it back when I went to return it.

Now I'm just wondering if Errin doesn't exist anymore (Google turns up nothing about it), or if it's just that pharmacy. If it's just that pharmacy, then I'll go elsewhere. If it's a discontinued item then I'll have to call my doc & just have her write it for the name brand Micronor.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Does anyone happen to know if Errin (generic of Micronor) was discontinued or something?

I went to pickup my refill earlier, got home & opened it, and inside was Jencycla. Completely different manufacturer & product name. I took it back & they just said they can't get it anymore.

I refuse to take a different generic. The last time this happened they at least asked me first if I was okay with the switch (and it was only temporary since they would have more Errin 2mo later). Well that generic (It was Jolivette) was a month of pure Hell. So I refuse to take any other generic for Micronor other than the one I've been on for the past 10yrs. I don't want to deal with another nightmare switch. They also used up my freebie refill for the month on a pill I won't take since they couldn't be bothered to say anything when I went to fill it, & they didn't take it back when I went to return it.

Now I'm just wondering if Errin doesn't exist anymore (Google turns up nothing about it), or if it's just that pharmacy. If it's just that pharmacy, then I'll go elsewhere. If it's a discontinued item then I'll have to call my doc & just have her write it for the name brand Micronor.

It's not a lot of help, but I was still getting it filled without any problems in October of last year, before my IUD, so if it is a discontinuation, it is very recent.

Wow, I've had my IUD over two months. Weird.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

GabrielAisling posted:

It's not a lot of help, but I was still getting it filled without any problems in October of last year, before my IUD, so if it is a discontinuation, it is very recent.

Wow, I've had my IUD over two months. Weird.

Yea, I've been on it continuously for years & was still able to refill it last month. I just wish they had given me some kind of warning so I could find a new pharmacy (or have it rewritten name-brand-only) before I ran out of pills.

I stopped a few places today & they all carry jolivette (the one that was a nightmare for me), they also dont carry the name brand. One place could special order Errin, but I was hoping to get more pills today before I miss too many & end up reverting back to my normal periods (also nightmares). I guess Wal-Mart can special order the name brand, so last resort I'll just have the rx rewritten & have them order it. It doesn't make this whole situation any less annoying though.

So based on the one place being able to special order it, I've got my answer. It's still available, its just that Wal-Mart decided to start carrying a different generic instead.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Yea, I've been on it continuously for years & was still able to refill it last month. I just wish they had given me some kind of warning so I could find a new pharmacy (or have it rewritten name-brand-only) before I ran out of pills.

I stopped a few places today & they all carry jolivette (the one that was a nightmare for me), they also dont carry the name brand. One place could special order Errin, but I was hoping to get more pills today before I miss too many & end up reverting back to my normal periods (also nightmares). I guess Wal-Mart can special order the name brand, so last resort I'll just have the rx rewritten & have them order it. It doesn't make this whole situation any less annoying though.

So based on the one place being able to special order it, I've got my answer. It's still available, its just that Wal-Mart decided to start carrying a different generic instead.

That sucks. I'm sorry. :glomp: Errin was a good bc for me, and it kinda sucks to know I probably can't go back to it if I have to get my IUD removed for some reason.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I really, really don't care if I get asked to do a pregnancy test, even if it's completely pointless (i.e. I've had no sex or periods for months). It takes thirty seconds! Am I all blasé about it because I'm in Canada and my doctor could request every test in the building and it still wouldn't cost me anything?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bamabalacha posted:

Am I all blasé about it because I'm in Canada and my doctor could request every test in the building and it still wouldn't cost me anything?

Probably. I wouldn't put it past a doctor's office in the US to charge you $300 for a $3 pregnancy test and then have your insurance refuse to pay for it on grounds that it isn't "medically necessary."

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Geoj posted:

Probably. I wouldn't put it past a doctor's office in the US to charge you $300 for a $3 pregnancy test and then have your insurance refuse to pay for it on grounds that it isn't "medically necessary."

This. Though my student health center is very good about not price gouging, and I'm in there so often all the nurses and various staff know me by name. I'm either paranoid, or an acutely self-aware hypochondriac.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I used Mirena for 6.5 years pre-baby and got no periods for 6 of those years plus the post-baby one has been in for ~7 months now and I have yet to have a period. I've been seen in 3 different student health centers during that time for a variety of ailments. When asked about my periods I always just answer "I don't get periods because I have a Mirena IUD" and have never been pregnancy tested. Not even in the early days of my first Mirena when most of the nurses asking me about my periods didn't even know what the Mirena was and I'd have to explain it to them and how it works. It's understandable for them to give you a test if you are getting something that poses serious danger during pregnancy (like Accutane) but for normal day-to-day stuff that's definitely overkill.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
I had a skyla inserted today, after having implanon for three years. I thought I had a fairly high pain tolerance, but the insertion floored me. I yelled when she measured my uterus, and the cramps afterward made me vomit. Felt like I was being ripped in two. I think I made a good decision, but I did not expect that to be so painful. Anyways, now I'm paranoid about expulsion. Did any of you have an expulsion? What did it feel like? Will I know if it happens, our will I, just, like find a horrible messy surprise in my pants? Is it normal to still have some cramps at this point, or is my uterus trying to force out my iud as we speak? :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

pizza cat posted:

I had a skyla inserted today, after having implanon for three years. I thought I had a fairly high pain tolerance, but the insertion floored me. I yelled when she measured my uterus, and the cramps afterward made me vomit. Felt like I was being ripped in two. I think I made a good decision, but I did not expect that to be so painful. Anyways, now I'm paranoid about expulsion. Did any of you have an expulsion? What did it feel like? Will I know if it happens, our will I, just, like find a horrible messy surprise in my pants? Is it normal to still have some cramps at this point, or is my uterus trying to force out my iud as we speak? :ohdear:

I can't really answer most of your questions, but if you just had it inserted today it's very normal to be having cramps. The worst of mine were over by the next day, but I had a few here and there for at least a few weeks. Your experience might vary. Most likely, your uterus is just irritated right now from being messed with and getting used to having something in it.

Erysipelothrix
May 5, 2012

pizza cat posted:

Hey Skyla buddy! I've had mine for about 2 months now and all is well. My insertion was nearly painless so I'm sorry to hear yours was a pile of suck. ): I had a paragard that I partially expelled a couple of years ago. I was cramping and bleeding continuously for 2 weeks and then I checked the strings and felt the tip of it sticking out. So it wasn't an entire expulsion but it was pretty painful the whole time. I'd imagine passing the T part of it would be very painful. I'm kind of paranoid of expelling this one and I asked my gyno about it when she checked it. She said you would definitely know it if you were expelling, it's that painful. I hope this helps and good luck!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It's probably also worth posting that yes, you will eventually get to a point where you will stop worrying about it so much. When I first had my IUD inserted, I was constantly checking and worrying over it for a while there. But now I kind of forget it's in there most of the time. :)

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I'm a very anxious person by nature, so it's reassuring to hear others have worried the same and that it'll be OK. Probably. Things still feel a bit... weird down there, still some cramps but nothing unbearable. I swear I can feel something in my uterus. It's the strangest feeling. It probably doesn't help that I'm on my period right now.

If anyone is getting an IUD soon, I highly recommend you arrange a ride back. And wear sweatpants, not skinny jeans. If you're unlucky and have a very painful insertion like me, you'll be very grateful to be able to relax in the car. I made my husband sit in the room with my and hold my hand cause I'm a big baby.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I noticed that your symptoms went away but...

Kimmalah posted:

Did they test you to see if it was yeast? Antibiotics can cause other conditions like bacterial vaginosis...

When I had my yeast infection, they also tested for bacterial vaginosis to be sure. I was wondering a few days later why some of my symptoms weren't going away after I took my second "kill it all in one pill" yeast infection pill ("take this one today and take this in 3 days if you notice no change") when I got a call back from the doctor's office with my lab results. They gave me another prescription to kick the vaginosis and everything got awesome.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

pizza cat posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'm a very anxious person by nature, so it's reassuring to hear others have worried the same and that it'll be OK. Probably. Things still feel a bit... weird down there, still some cramps but nothing unbearable. I swear I can feel something in my uterus. It's the strangest feeling. It probably doesn't help that I'm on my period right now.

If anyone is getting an IUD soon, I highly recommend you arrange a ride back. And wear sweatpants, not skinny jeans. If you're unlucky and have a very painful insertion like me, you'll be very grateful to be able to relax in the car. I made my husband sit in the room with my and hold my hand cause I'm a big baby.

Yeah, it's not unusual (in my experience anyway) to feel little twinges and stuff in your pelvis like you can feel the device. It was the worst when I first got it and still get them occasionally now. Personally I find it kind of reassuring since I know it must still be in there!

I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot, but overall any annoying side-effects with the IUD have boiled down to "It gets better with time."

samizdat posted:

I noticed that your symptoms went away but...

When I had my yeast infection, they also tested for bacterial vaginosis to be sure. I was wondering a few days later why some of my symptoms weren't going away after I took my second "kill it all in one pill" yeast infection pill ("take this one today and take this in 3 days if you notice no change") when I got a call back from the doctor's office with my lab results. They gave me another prescription to kick the vaginosis and everything got awesome.

Yeah, when they told me I had BV too I was honestly kind of shocked because what I had didn't really fit the textbook symptoms and was just like a really bad yeast infection. But then I don't really get the textbook stuff with yeast infections either.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I suffer from severe mood swings and suicidal ideation during my period, so when I was 18 my psychiatrist prescribed me birth control pills to take every day. The intended result is that I avoid getting my period completely. Does anyone else do this?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Clochette posted:

I suffer from severe mood swings and suicidal ideation during my period, so when I was 18 my psychiatrist prescribed me birth control pills to take every day. The intended result is that I avoid getting my period completely. Does anyone else do this?

I don't know about the posters in this thread in particular, but I've heard of a lot of people doing that. There are even a few pills out there now intended more or less for that purpose. Not having a period on the pill isn't going to hurt you or anything, it just might make you a little more prone to spotting throughout the month.

On the other hand, I get really bad mood swings and stuff before my natural period (not suicidal, but pretty bad) and I never had them when I had periods on the pill. Not that I think you should mess around with it, just that for me personally the two were completely different experiences.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know about the posters in this thread in particular, but I've heard of a lot of people doing that. There are even a few pills out there now intended more or less for that purpose. Not having a period on the pill isn't going to hurt you or anything, it just might make you a little more prone to spotting throughout the month.

On the other hand, I get really bad mood swings and stuff before my natural period (not suicidal, but pretty bad) and I never had them when I had periods on the pill. Not that I think you should mess around with it, just that for me personally the two were completely different experiences.

That's good to hear. I don't get any spotting at all, my mom just kept worrying about how she thinks it's not natural or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Clochette posted:

That's good to hear. I don't get any spotting at all, my mom just kept worrying about how she thinks it's not natural or whatever.

My mom though my IUD could get lost inside my body, so. Moms are weird. My IUD had stopped mine for over a year and a half and I frequently skipped placebo week on the pill. No harm in it.

• Locked thread