Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Thundarr posted:

I'm sure the UPS guy has carried boxes with stranger things proudly emblazoned on the side than "Liason Pumpkinsnuffle Collector Plush". But probably not many.

Yeah, things that are more awkward to explain tend to be shipped discrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Bobulus posted:

I think the most interesting thing about the new character is that she doesn't have a shirt logo. That's just weird.

Clothes logos (that have a chance of being replaced with aspet symbols) may be a thing that happens with species that participate in S___b sessions. No S___b = no symbols = loving free of its complete bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yknow I've never really understood people's problems with stuff that isn't shipped discrete. Why do you care if the mail man knows you ordered a dragon dildo or whatever you're into? He can't say anything to anyone about what's in your mail and he can't open it so your Homestuck merchandise is probably none of his concern. "Man this box with a Homestuck plush doll is really awkward to explain" said the 14 year old tumblr user as she sent her mom to the door to sign for the package.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just think it's kind of funny imagining the UPS driver developing a "man, have I seem some poo poo" attitude after spending enough time delivering people's crazy stuff. Kind of like that old pic of the Homestuck cosplayers and the security guard.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CJacobs posted:

Yknow I've never really understood people's problems with stuff that isn't shipped discrete. Why do you care if the mail man knows you ordered a dragon dildo or whatever you're into? He can't say anything to anyone about what's in your mail and he can't open it so your Homestuck merchandise is probably none of his concern. "Man this box with a Homestuck plush doll is really awkward to explain" said the 14 year old tumblr user as she sent her mom to the door to sign for the package.

Like the single most defining thing about the SA forums is making fun of people who enjoy juvenile or odd stuff, it doesn't exactly rock my world to learn people have shame issues.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Goons are basically Ronnie from Whomp!

e. myself included

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 7, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So 2014 is the year of the horse and I did FFXIV 2.0 new years quest. The only reason I am posting this in here its because homestuck rotted my mind in everything involving horses... Anyways they start this line of quests with a question:

Do you want to embrace your inner horse?
(yes) (no)

If you say yes, they give you a sweet horse mask and send you to do a few menial tasks.

Like posing in front of chocobos to show them your vigor.

Then they send you to pick up some carrots (including a humongous one) and pull a cart because horses are strong.

Then go on a run gallop across the desert while people comment about your sweat.

But oh no! Things get catty bad between the cocobo mafia and the horse yakuza. (Unicorns exist in the game, hell there are two unicorn mounts, but no horse mount.)

But masked Knight Exemplay appears to sa...

Uhhh...

Ummmmmmm...

:stonk:

Then the Mafia and Yakuza make peace in order to make this economy a TWO mount economy.

Happy year of the horse Homestuck thread.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

BiggerJ posted:

Clothes logos (that have a chance of being replaced with aspet symbols) may be a thing that happens with species that participate in S___b sessions. No S___b = no symbols = loving free of its complete bullshit.

Or it could just be a secret thing. What the character looks like? Doesn't loving matter, it's a person. What's on her shirt? LOck down that piece of info, folks, it's plot vital.

But really, it's a snowball.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

So 2014 is the year of the horse and I did FFXIV 2.0 new years quest. The only reason I am posting this in here its because homestuck rotted my mind in everything involving horses... Anyways they start this line of quests with a question:

Do you want to embrace your inner horse?
(yes) (no)

If you say yes, they give you a sweet horse mask and send you to do a few menial tasks.

Like posing in front of chocobos to show them your vigor.

Then they send you to pick up some carrots (including a humongous one) and pull a cart because horses are strong.

Then go on a run gallop across the desert while people comment about your sweat.

But oh no! Things get catty bad between the cocobo mafia and the horse yakuza. (Unicorns exist in the game, hell there are two unicorn mounts, but no horse mount.)

But masked Knight Exemplay appears to sa...

Uhhh...

Ummmmmmm...

:stonk:

Then the Mafia and Yakuza make peace in order to make this economy a TWO mount economy.

Happy year of the horse Homestuck thread.

That helmet looks loving ridiculous. I must have it, that's pretty much all the motivation I'll need to play FF14.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh hey, apparently Dante Basco has reached the point in his read-through of Homestuck of finding Rufioh - a character who's persona came about through the fact that Dante was recording his response to Homestuck, which would have never have happened if Hussie hadn't written the whole thing with Tavros in the first place.

Boy, how existential can you get?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sitchelin posted:

That helmet looks loving ridiculous. I must have it, that's pretty much all the motivation I'll need to play FF14.

Unfortunately, it's a one-time only thing for the Chinese New Year, and it just ended. You'll have to wait for next year 2026.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Interesting choice of guest judge.
http://contest.welovefine.com/contest/67-homestuck-design-contest#.Ut20KhDnZhE

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Not really, I have no trouble believing the average Homestuck fan would be the same people going around in public with Gir or Foamy the squirrel t-shirts.

E: Apparently Hot Topic sells MLP and Doctor Who merchandise. In that case it's definitely the same people.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

A precursor to getting Homestuck merch in Hot Topic stores? Seems like the logical next step.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I would expect Hussie gets a cut. Even a small one would increase his dollarpile to dizzying heights.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I would expect Hussie gets a cut. Even a small one would increase his dollarpile to dizzying heights.

Gonna need a lot of money to get that animated series off the ground.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not really, I have no trouble believing the average Homestuck fan would be the same people going around in public with Gir or Foamy the squirrel t-shirts.

E: Apparently Hot Topic sells MLP and Doctor Who merchandise. In that case it's definitely the same people.

The overlap is a lot like MRAs and Bronies - there aren't a lot of places that sell fedoras.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So is there any word, or even any rumors, about when Homestuck is gonna make it's last hurrah? Any guesstimates, even?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Who What Now posted:

So is there any word, or even any rumors, about when Homestuck is gonna make it's last hurrah? Any guesstimates, even?
The last word from Hussie on the issue is that Homestuck will end in 2013.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Who What Now posted:

April 13, 2014.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Which is to say that, no, Hussie has expressly declined to estimate how long this last pause before the end will be.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

JT Jag posted:

The last word from Hussie on the issue is that Homestuck will end in 2013.

The final update will be backdated to Dec 31, all discussion with Hussie will have him insist it was there all along and him wondering why it took everyone so long to notice

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Which is to say that, no, Hussie has expressly declined to estimate how long this last pause before the end will be.

And to be fair, that's probably for the best. Time estimates have never worked well for him. Ever.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
At this point he might as well just save it for April 13, even if it's ready long before, no?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
It would depend on how long it was between finishing and 4/13. If he finished on, like, April 6, then yeah, what's another week. But 6 months without updates is a tall order for anyone, especially the notoriously impatient (i.e. Internet Users and especially Homestuck Fans), so I would imagine that it would be unwise if he finished, say, next month and waited two more months to release it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I survived the Megapause before Cascade. And back then MSPA was the only comic I was following. Now that I'm reading Gunnerkrigg Court, you bet I can outlast the Gigapause, however long it goes.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I survived the Megapause before Cascade. And back then MSPA was the only comic I was following. Now that I'm reading Gunnerkrigg Court, you bet I can outlast the Gigapause, however long it goes.

Cascadepause lasted seven weeks. In that time this thread went completely bonkers, as did Tumblr. We've almost doubled that.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Boneless Jogger posted:

And to be fair, that's probably for the best. Time estimates have never worked well for him. Ever.

Speaking of time estimates, I recently shotgunned the whole thing over the course of a few weeks, and out of curiosity I read a few of the pages earlier in the thread (before skipping to the end, a privilege that I now savor wholeheartedly) and some of the posts people were making in October 2011 were... well, pretty good:

marsattacks posted:

Obviously when Homestuck ends (a good six or seven months from now), Hussie will immediately begin posting his next Magnum Opus, and it will be so wonderful all memory of Homestuck will be stricken from our minds.

Summer 2012? Whatever you say guys :allears:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Death Bot posted:

Speaking of time estimates, I recently shotgunned the whole thing over the course of a few weeks, and out of curiosity I read a few of the pages earlier in the thread (before skipping to the end, a privilege that I now savor wholeheartedly) and some of the posts people were making in October 2011 were... well, pretty good:

Summer 2012? Whatever you say guys :allears:

That was back when we believed Hussie's claims that Cascade was the cinematic climax of the story and Act 6 and 7 would be manageably short.

We knew nothing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wait, did he claim Act 6 would be short? I remember him saying Act 7 would be a tiny epilogue, but I don't remember any claims about the length of Act 6. If anything, the fact that Cascade + Act 6 took up a full "disc", with Acts 1-5.2 taking up "disc 1" implied that Act 6 would be quite big.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Wait, did he claim Act 6 would be short? I remember him saying Act 7 would be a tiny epilogue, but I don't remember any claims about the length of Act 6. If anything, the fact that Cascade + Act 6 took up a full "disc", with Acts 1-5.2 taking up "disc 1" implied that Act 6 would be quite big.

Before Act 6 started, he said it would be the length of a normal, non Act 5 act. Early in Act 6, he said it would probably not be as long as Act 5, but be close. It's longer than Act 5 now. Andrew, never change. :allears:

Edit: Of course by then everyone should have understood that whatever estimate he gave it would end up being exponentially longer. It's not like those were the first times his estimates were hilariously off.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 22, 2014

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boneless Jogger posted:

Before Act 6 started, he said it would be the length of a normal, non Act 5 act. Early in Act 6, he said it would probably not be as long as Act 5, but be close. It's longer than Act 5 now. Andrew, never change. :allears:

Edit: Of course by then everyone should have understood that whatever estimate he gave it would end up being exponentially longer. It's not like those were the first times his estimates were hilariously off.

Act 6 is the length of a normal act. It was acts 1 through 5 that were short!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Omnomnomnivore posted:

At this point he might as well just save it for April 13, even if it's ready long before, no?

He waited out a couple weeks to post Cascade on 10/25, but I dunno if I'd expect him to do the same here if he finished anytime before the end of March.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think he said that Cascade was some sort of climax (or something similar) and everyone just made assumptions on length based off that. Horrifyingly incorrect assumptions. :v:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Maybe if the ending is long enough he'll dole it out gradually so the last page goes up on the fifth anniversary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

I think he said that Cascade was some sort of climax (or something similar) and everyone just made assumptions on length based off that. Horrifyingly incorrect assumptions. :v:

Yeah, he genuinely never said anything about the length of Act 6. Here are things he said:

Cascade would be the biggest single animation event.

Act 6 would be the last main act of the comic.

Act 7 would be an epilogue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Epilogue will be longer than Homestuck and Problem Sleuth combined.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The gigapause, as it turns out, will only be to finish Acts 5 and 6.

Act 7 is paid DLC. Hussie got the idea after he played Asura's Wrath.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Boneless Jogger posted:

Hussie is basically a one-man Valve, complete with a store that actually makes him boatloads of money from people willing to buy anything such that he doesn't really need to ever keep working on the thing that made everyone pay attention to him in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The smart money's on April 13th just because that's a good six months from when the pause began, which should be plenty of time. Even if he finished early, I'd assume he'd just go back and polish it up, adding or improving sections until the fateful anniversary.

No idea what form it'll take, though. Will he drop it all at once in one huge, server-burning update? Parcel it out over the course of a month? Just make a big package and get people to torrent it?