Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Anything that involves putting money into a car as an investment is usually worthy of this thread, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to realize this is like a therapy thread. A friend of yours does something loving stupid, you either can't tell them because you're not that tight or you try and they don't listen to you, then you can come in here and we can all agree with you and you don't feel like an idiot.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cranbe posted:

Not really a story, but this guy is full of bullshit analogies that read like hacky sales pitches in #5:
5 money myths that are financial nonsense

Just try really hard and you can be a pro athlete! (...Until you get injured and lose everything.)

Don't save money, just get a higher paying job! Or a second one! Ahahahahaha gently caress you.

This list really feels like it's written from the perspective of someone who's ALREADY rich.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tony Montana posted:

I'm starting to realize this is like a therapy thread. A friend of yours does something loving stupid, you either can't tell them because you're not that tight or you try and they don't listen to you, then you can come in here and we can all agree with you and you don't feel like an idiot.

Advice about money is often pretty unwelcome. We've certainly created quite the culture here in America where money is super important to everyone but we're also taught to avoid talking(or thinking) about it and to project things as better than they are. It's pretty frustrating and having a place to talk about it sanely is nice.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Jeffrey posted:

Advice about money is often pretty unwelcome. We've certainly created quite the culture here in America where money is super important to everyone but we're also taught to avoid talking(or thinking) about it and to project things as better than they are. It's pretty frustrating and having a place to talk about it sanely is nice.

I've started just straight asking people, including co-workers, how much money they make. I think that the whole idea of salaries being secret conspires to keep workers from knowing where they stand, what they could make elsewhere, etc. I have used that knowledge to negotiate higher pay, and figure out where I stand at an employer - keeping salary info taboo helps only employers.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

kaishek posted:

I've started just straight asking people, including co-workers, how much money they make. I think that the whole idea of salaries being secret conspires to keep workers from knowing where they stand, what they could make elsewhere, etc. I have used that knowledge to negotiate higher pay, and figure out where I stand at an employer - keeping salary info taboo helps only employers.

I've started to float this as well at my office. When we got our annual cost of living raises this year, my boss told me "remember that's private information". Yeah, right. Me and a few coworkers went out to happy hour that Friday and the immediate topic was how much our raises are, and how much we all make. Turns out that two of our entry level employees with the same title/job description, but from seperate offices (both in areas with comparable cost-of-living) get paid wildly different. On guy was started at about $47k, while the other was started at $38k. The lower paid guy wasn't there, but he had mentioned it in a previous conversation.

We also had another situation where I was given an 8% raise mid-year "because of my hard work and good performance". However the next month my other coworker asked me if I had gotten an unexpected raise, and additionally asked "was it pretty substantial?". Turns out she, and everyone else in our group had received the raise. The reason being that they knew everyone wanted to quit because the compensation was relatively crap, and we had lost 4-5 people to other companies in the last few months. But they sold it to everyone as an individual recognition.

So yeah, talk away, spread information around. The only people you're helping by staying quiet is upper management.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

LogisticEarth posted:

So yeah, talk away, spread information around. The only people you're helping by staying quiet is upper management.

This is true, which is why you should be careful. Depending where you work, this kind of thing could get you canned. Is it ethical or even legal? Maybe not, but it's the truth.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

tiananman posted:

This is true, which is why you should be careful. Depending where you work, this kind of thing could get you canned. Is it ethical or even legal? Maybe not, but it's the truth.

If someone gets canned for this the lawsuit would be so good.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Depends what your co-workers are like, it could also turn into a lot of resentment between co-workers that could create a bit of friction in the workplace.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

A lot of US states are "Right to work", the employer can fire someone at any time for no reason. If they were to send you a letter saying "You're fired because you discussed wages with a co-worker" then yeah, poo poo would go down, but otherwise you'd have a fun time trying to prove that's why you were fired.

Unionized workplaces or places with decent labor laws, that's a completely different animal of course.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FrozenVent posted:

A lot of US states are "Right to work", the employer can fire someone at any time for no reason. If they were to send you a letter saying "You're fired because you discussed wages with a co-worker" then yeah, poo poo would go down, but otherwise you'd have a fun time trying to prove that's why you were fired.

Unionized workplaces or places with decent labor laws, that's a completely different animal of course.

"Right to work" means that union membership cannot be required to work. The ability to quit/fire at will is, however, "At Will" employment.

:eng101:

And, as mentioned, you'd have the potential to be fired for "performance" reasons.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
^^^To be fair, Right to work and At will usually go hand in hand. Also, right to work is a great euphemism. It's like opening a chicken ranch and calling it Right to be Fried.

FrozenVent posted:

Well, technically you don't even need Right to Work for that to happen. I live in a non-RTW state (thank Jesus, I've turned down job offers to work in Alabama for this exact reason - I need an extra 50k on top of what I make right now to consider working in a non-RTW state) and honestly if they wanted to fire me, they could just say "performance issues" and I'd be poo poo out of luck fighting them on that.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

tiananman posted:

Absolutely. I was under the impression that my non-profit was so strapped for cash that everyone was together in the low salary basket. Then I found out that a colleague had gotten not one, but two raises in the past year. I did not specifically reference my knowledge of that information, but it allowed me to know that they actually did have the money to adjust your compensation if they thought it was called for and press just a little harder for my own raise (i.e., not taking "we don't have the money" as an answer).

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

LogisticEarth posted:

I've started to float this as well at my office. When we got our annual cost of living raises this year, my boss told me "remember that's private information". Yeah, right. Me and a few coworkers went out to happy hour that Friday and the immediate topic was how much our raises are, and how much we all make. Turns out that two of our entry level employees with the same title/job description, but from seperate offices (both in areas with comparable cost-of-living) get paid wildly different. On guy was started at about $47k, while the other was started at $38k. The lower paid guy wasn't there, but he had mentioned it in a previous conversation.

We also had another situation where I was given an 8% raise mid-year "because of my hard work and good performance". However the next month my other coworker asked me if I had gotten an unexpected raise, and additionally asked "was it pretty substantial?". Turns out she, and everyone else in our group had received the raise. The reason being that they knew everyone wanted to quit because the compensation was relatively crap, and we had lost 4-5 people to other companies in the last few months. But they sold it to everyone as an individual recognition.

Why should the two entry workers be paid the same? Perhaps the guy with the 9k higher salery negociated it as part of his contract. If this is the case, then the guy with the lower salery is at fault for his situation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ most people do not have contracts. But yes he did a much better job of getting a better starting salary.

pathetic little tramp posted:

^^^To be fair, Right to work and At will usually go hand in hand. Also, right to work is a great euphemism. It's like opening a chicken ranch and calling it Right to be Fried.

Well, technically you don't even need Right to Work for that to happen. I live in a non-RTW state (thank Jesus, I've turned down job offers to work in Alabama for this exact reason - I need an extra 50k on top of what I make right now to consider working in a non-RTW state) and honestly if they wanted to fire me, they could just say "performance issues" and I'd be poo poo out of luck fighting them on that.

Your post doesn't make much sense. Most everyone is at will in the professional setting, right to work doesn't matter. All it means is you don't work under a contract. So you can leave and they can fire you.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2014

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

FrozenVent posted:

Anything that involves putting money into a car as an investment is usually worthy of this thread, really.

Also, putting pricy additions onto houses while using contracting shortcuts.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"The solution is not to cut back on the lattes you drink, but to get a higher-paying job,"
What a fool I have been (leaves to get higher paying job).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Say Nothing posted:

What a fool I have been (leaves to get higher paying job).
Lattes are a need, so if you have to cut back on them you've failed. :colbert:

quote:

Put your money in a bank. That's the safest place, right? Sure, it is safer than stuffing it under your mattress. Or is it?

"Savings accounts … are the equivalent of modern-day mattress stuffing," says Elle Kaplan, CEO of Lexion Capital Management, a New York City-based asset management firm. "Savings accounts cause you to lose money over time because their low interest rates do not keep pace with inflation."
Where are you supposed to put your basic savings & spending money instead? Figure it out yourself. (Probably in some place that's either less liquid or much more volatile than a (relatively) high-return online savings account. Of course, according to the article these banks don't exist.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

To be fair there is a large class of people who are complacent and could probably better themselves by actively looking for new jobs, with an expected value of much higher than 1 latte per day or whatever. That doesn't make it sound, universal advice and you still shouldn't buy a latte every day but finding a new job isn't a bad idea if one is at all underpaid for their field.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jeffrey posted:

To be fair there is a large class of people who are complacent and could probably better themselves by actively looking for new jobs, with an expected value of much higher than 1 latte per day or whatever. That doesn't make it sound, universal advice and you still shouldn't buy a latte every day but finding a new job isn't a bad idea if one is at all underpaid for their field.

This is true. I didn't realize what I was worth until I left. By doing that (and my wife) we have both double our salaries out of school 5 years ago.

We do work our assess off too though.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Jeffrey posted:

The article seemed to have that point, but the phrasing in the article comes across as tone deaf " let them eat cake" nonsense. What's even worse is that it baits the hook by appealing to those who are paranoid about large institutions in general (banks).

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

balancedbias posted:

The article seemed to have that point, but the phrasing in the article comes across as tone deaf " let them eat cake" nonsense. What's even worse is that it baits the hook by appealing to those who are paranoid about large institutions in general (banks).

I don't know where you're getting that impression, or baiting paranoid people or whatever. I thought all those points were pretty decent advice for a good chunk of the population.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Tony Montana posted:

Pretty much this. I doubt anyone really wants to see their friends and family in trouble, which is why it's so frustrating - you don't want them to suffer or go through unnecessary stress and you know what the outcome is likely to be, but they do it anyway. Similarly, there's a reason "what did they expect to happen?" is the title of the schadenfreude thread.

I'm finding it hard to just passively sit by and listen to some of my friends talk about their problems because a lot of them are to do with them buying more house/car/whatever than they can afford and are finding the adjustment really hard because they didn't really think that the payment would be that arduous. On the flip side, I think the happiest person I've known was a guy who worked a few evenings a week and spent the rest of his time working on his personal projects and playing music.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

dreesemonkey posted:

About 2.5 years ago we had a "500 year flood" in our area. Some friend's parents live by a creek and had their 10' basement completely full of water despite being 20' higher in elevation and 400' back from the creek. Anyway, a neighbor of theirs was not so lucky, and his whole house had about 6' of water in the entire thing.

So the insurance money comes in and he spends the bulk of it on doing a $70k restoration on his 60s corvette as an investment (the car was moved prior to the flood, it was just in need of restoration before). Now, I am a car guy enough to know that it's not a split-window 427 vette, so I can't imagine it's worth all that much money, certainly not over $70k worth. Assuming it's a matching-numbers car, which it may be, I think he negated that fact by re-painting it another color and bore/stroke/cam the original engine for more power. Again, I think typically the most valueable/collectible cars are matching numbers / right from the factory OEM spec.
Why he didn't just pop an LSx and a pair of 35's on it... :(

White Chocolate posted:

Lawsuit over being fired? In what state? Ha!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
On the other side of 'bad with money', there's this guy:

Ottawa’s cheapest dad: Abusive man convicted of criminal harassment after depriving family of heat, water and food

OTTAWA CITIZEN posted:

OTTAWA — An abusive Ottawa father who ruled his home’s finances with a frugality so extreme that he deprived his family of heat, lights, water and sometimes food, has been convicted in a rare criminal harassment and assault case.

The recently convicted man, who moved from Yemen to Ottawa in 1987 to study computer science, would whip his children with a leather belt if they didn’t follow what he called “sensible practices” — a bizarre set of “micro-managing” house rules that tormented his wife for 24 years, and his children for 18.

A recent court ruling lays out the facts of the case, and details the lengths the man went to to save money.

Court was told his wife feared for her life, and that the children had to sneak showers when their abusive father wasn’t home. Their 52-year-old father would only allow each child to use two litres of water, measured by a container in the shower. One litre for washing, one litre for rinsing.

He was so cheap his family testified he’d replace the few light bulbs they had with 40-watt bulbs to keep the hydro bill down. But he wouldn’t budge on the heat. They stopped asking him for permission to turn up the heat years ago. He’d tell them to layer up.

“We froze in the dark,” his wife testified at an Ontario Superior Court trial presided by Justice Charles Hackland.

Though his children ranged in age from 12 to 22, they all had the same bedtime. It was always lights out right after supper, when some of the older boys complained there wasn’t enough on their plate.

The biggest complaints about the lack of food came in 2011 when, court heard, the family began to rebel against their controlling father. The father denied that he was depriving his family of food, but court heard that the grocery bill was $1,000 less a month once he took over the shopping.

The two eldest sons were allowed to get part-time jobs but were not allowed to access their earnings, which were controlled by their father.

He biked to work and his wife biked to the grocery store. Because they had five kids, it meant she had to bike to the grocery store almost every day because there were only so many bags she could lug at one time.

Her husband didn’t want to buy a car because he wanted to save for a home. He scrutinized his wife’s every purchase.

His daughter testified she led a “lonely existence” in her high school years. Because her family didn’t spend money beyond basic needs, the children were already isolated.

The judge noted that the father was a “remarkable” saver, whose frugality ultimately broke up his family.

Incredibly, the father, the sole bread winner at $90,000 a year, managed to save enough money to buy a $210,000 townhouse in the suburbs with cash.

He never used credit cards and he certainly didn’t have cable. The townhome he bought in 2005 had three bedrooms. The four tall boys slept in one bedroom, his daughter had her own room and he and his wife shared the master bedroom. To stress his non-materialistic ways, he slept on a matt on the floor.

They kept the television in the master bedroom and the father decided what and when the children could watch. Another rule was that nobody could watch television if a member of the family was being disciplined, which ranged from beatings, to whippings to the silent treatment.

The judge noted in his guilty decision, dated Jan. 16, that the man’s wife had to sometimes witness the cruel punishments delivered to her two youngest boys.

The judge said that the man’s wife had endured a marriage, and life, that amounted to being the victim of criminal harassment. Some of her children were also deemed victims of harassment and assault.

The Ottawa man was arrested at his workplace in May 2011. He chose not to spend money on a lawyer and has remained in jail ever since.

“I am satisfied that Mrs. H. was forced to endure a thoroughly lonely and deprived existence for many years leading to the separation. She suffered deprivation in the basic amenities of life like heat and showers, spousal inequality, disrespect and minor physical and significant emotional abuse,” Justice Hackland said.

“She endured the heartache of seeing her children being subjected to the accused’s unfortunate and controlling parenting and his discipline methods of the children, which were abusive and unlawful,” the judge ruled.

The judge noted that the accused’s behaviour threatened his wife’s “physical and emotional integrity.”

The judge also complimented the wife for describing her feelings “eloquently.”

In her own words, here is how she described her life:

“It was Hell and we had to get out.”

“Hopeless ... you give up.”

“I used to wait for spring ... just surviving ... sad and hopeless.”

The man is scheduled to be sentenced at the end of January. It is expected that his pre-sentence jail time will be considered at sentencing.

TL;DR, guy is so frugal he gets arrested for assault in 2011 for depriving his family. Doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer so has been been in gaol since then.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey posted:

Sure, but I can have a latte everyday if I want, mate :) We're all at different ages and different stages in our careers, although SA is a lot of young-20s college kids scrimping to get through there are plenty of us older than that. I can spend 50 bucks a day on lunch if I want, my last super high stress job it was a method of getting through the days. I'd pull down so much that the budgeting could easily absorb it and after yet another morning of stress and getting angry going to somewhere really nice and eating something really nice for an hour made it all doable again.

Which is actually a lot of the point that part of the article is trying to make.

Hey, in Adelaide (Australia) a latte can be usually 4.50 as well! Here in Italy it's about 1.20 Euro.. less than 2 bucks. Talk about inflation and the Aussie economy going rampant..

froglet posted:

On the other side of 'bad with money', there's this guy:

He's still bad with money, though, right? My father certainly wasn't as bad as this guy, but he was down that spectrum somewhere. I think being good with money is knowing when to spend it too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Montana posted:

He's still bad with money, though, right? My father certainly wasn't as bad as this guy, but he was down that spectrum somewhere. I think being good with money is knowing when to spend it too.

Oh yeah, just in a more unique way that most of the heroes in this thread:

BBC posted:

Bernie Ecclestone's daughter Tamara has lost a custody battle with an ex-boyfriend over a £380,000 "super car".

A judge ruled Ms Ecclestone, 29, was wrong to try to reclaim the Lamborghini Aventador which she had given to Omar Khyami for his 38th birthday in 2012.

Mr Khyami later used the gift to pay the outstanding balance on a Bentley he had bought for Ms Ecclestone.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25831455
:stare:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Lelorox posted:

Why should the two entry workers be paid the same? Perhaps the guy with the 9k higher salery negociated it as part of his contract. If this is the case, then the guy with the lower salery is at fault for his situation.

He didn't, it's just different office management. The higher paid guy works in an office where that's around the standard starting for entry level. The lower paid guy has a different manager, in a different office, but is in the same group. Same experience, same degree from comparable schools, does similar jobs, just gets paid a significant amount less. Could he have negotiated a higher salary? Maybe, but negotiation is not the reason the one guy is getting paid more.

tiananman posted:

That's a possibility, but at least in my office that would be a really unlikely unless we were actively agitating. People openly talk about how they're sending their resumes out too, nothing happens because middle management is nearly just as miserable, and upper management is hundreds of miles away and pretty much only interacts with the office via numbers on a spreadsheet.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Tony Montana posted:

:eng101: Dante put skinflints and spendthrifts in the same layer of Hell.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Tony Montana posted:

A good friend of mine and I are very open discussing our finances with one another. For the most part he's usually smart about these things but the other day told me his plan is to get a new car every 5 years. He has a 5 year payment plan for his existing car and when it's paid off he will trade it in for a new car and repeat the cycle every 5 years. He's already traded in one fully paid off car and will do so again in 3 years. I brought up leasing as a possibility and he dismissed it out of hand saying that his system is much better. Am I crazy here or is he completely wrong?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That's a very bad move financially when he could probably make the car last ten years provided he did preventative maintenance on it. He's basically ensuring he'll always be paying interest on a big car loan, forever.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nail Rat posted:

That's a very bad move financially when he could probably make the car last ten years provided he did preventative maintenance on it. He's basically ensuring he'll always be paying interest on a big car loan, forever.

Unless he is always getting zero percent which is not that uncommon.

He is basically leasing except he is taking all the residual risk. Bad move unlss he dosen't understand leasing enough to not get hosed over by the obscure math.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

He's eating that juicy new-car depreciation every five years though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FrozenVent posted:

He's eating that juicy new-car depreciation every five years though.

Five years is ABOUT the break-even point. At this point, the car is worth the most for resale, and it's usually right about when the warranty expires.

If I wanted to have a new car every so often and I needed to pick an interval, fve years would probably be the best on average.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He would probably still be better off if he bought a year old car every 4 years.

Tony Montana posted:

Sure, but I can have a latte everyday if I want, mate :) We're all at different ages and different stages in our careers, although SA is a lot of young-20s college kids scrimping to get through there are plenty of us older than that. I can spend 50 bucks a day on lunch if I want, my last super high stress job it was a method of getting through the days. I'd pull down so much that the budgeting could easily absorb it and after yet another morning of stress and getting angry going to somewhere really nice and eating something really nice for an hour made it all doable again.

Which is actually a lot of the point that part of the article is trying to make.

Hey, in Adelaide (Australia) a latte can be usually 4.50 as well! Here in Italy it's about 1.20 Euro.. less than 2 bucks. Talk about inflation and the Aussie economy going rampant..
Sorry I forget this isn't the financial independence thread. I can certainly budget and 'afford' a fancy lunch and drink every day, but I'm not willing to suffer expenses like that now that I think about it in terms of how may additional weeks/months/years I'll have to work in order to retire with that expense. The advice in the article that one should earn more in lieu of saving more falls flat to me because a dollar saved per year is a dollar saved every year of my life, while a dollar earned per year is only earned during years in which I'm working.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 22, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jeffrey posted:

He would probably still be better off if he bought a year old car every 4 years.

Depends on the type of car. For a luxury car. Probably. For a sports car...maybe.

For anything else, probably not. I know this because I used to do this. Every five years or so, I would buy a two year old car. I've done this since my second car, three or four times now.

On my recent trip for a new car, all the cars I looked at were at most discounted 10 - 15% from new. This was not a large enough discount for a two year old car. One year old cars were selling for practically new (low end new prices of course).

Also some cars have non-transferable warranties. It seems to be the trend to not transfer the BtB warranty but allow the drive-train warranty.

All of this needs to go into the decision.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

It may not be something that you or I would choose to do, but if they can afford it, why not? Depending on the persons income, and potentially the job requirement to have a dependable car, it may make sense. At least its not every 2 years like some people I know.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Jeffrey posted:

Seriously, there are so many people out there that are underpaid, they know they're underpaid, and they just deal with it or don't care or are just comfortable in their job and fear change. Take my mom for example. She works full time and makes about $15,000 per year. She's worked for the same district for pretty much her entire working life. 2 years ago she got a job offer from her old boss to do exactly what she does now at a different district for (literally) three times the salary. Doing the exact same job. And she turned it down because she "didn't want to have to commute to work". The new job was 10 miles from her house. Her current job is about 3 miles away.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey posted:

Sorry I forget this isn't the financial independence thread. I can certainly budget and 'afford' a fancy lunch and drink every day, but I'm not willing to suffer expenses like that now that I think about it in terms of how may additional weeks/months/years I'll have to work in order to retire with that expense. The advice in the article that one should earn more in lieu of saving more falls flat to me because a dollar saved per year is a dollar saved every year of my life, while a dollar earned per year is only earned during years in which I'm working.

Your missing both my point and the point the article made. I still think its a lovely article on the whole, but I can see the point here.

The point is, sometimes you incur additional expenses in the earning of a higher wage. A top barrister needs good suits. A top IT consultant needs proper kit, laptop and whatever else he uses to do his thing (this might mean a rack at home filled with his test lab). An IT consultant that has a zillion little munchkins reporting to him from all over the world who consistently do the stupidest poo poo, might have to have expensive lunches to be able to make it through the day.

Making it through the day means I still pull down over 6 figures, which means even if I spend something like 20k a year on 'therapy' such as this (50 bucks a day is a bit extravagant, but 20 is ok) then I'm still pulling down more total than the dude on 50k. My earning potential increases over time this way too, I'm clocking up experience at a high level which will lead to even more pay and perhaps some more clout in my industry so I might be able to find a role less stressful as well.

It's about you need to spend money to make it, this is actually right in line with the crazy dude above that was such a poo poo to his family. I like life this way too, I prefer to be totally absorbed and committed to my career and living life to the full by experiencing all of it (eat what I want, holiday where I want, do what I want). I'm still running the financial independence game ahead of the pack too because I'm aware of it and active and six figures is a lot of money to play with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Tony Montana posted:

Your missing both my point and the point the article made. I still think its a lovely article on the whole, but I can see the point here.

The point is, sometimes you incur additional expenses in the earning of a higher wage. A top barrister needs good suits. A top IT consultant needs proper kit, laptop and whatever else he uses to do his thing (this might mean a rack at home filled with his test lab). An IT consultant that has a zillion little munchkins reporting to him from all over the world who consistently do the stupidest poo poo, might have to have expensive lunches to be able to make it through the day.

Making it through the day means I still pull down over 6 figures, which means even if I spend something like 20k a year on 'therapy' such as this (50 bucks a day is a bit extravagant, but 20 is ok) then I'm still pulling down more total than the dude on 50k. My earning potential increases over time this way too, I'm clocking up experience at a high level which will lead to even more pay and perhaps some more clout in my industry so I might be able to find a role less stressful as well.

It's about you need to spend money to make it, this is actually right in line with the crazy dude above that was such a poo poo to his family. I like life this way too, I prefer to be totally absorbed and committed to my career and living life to the full by experiencing all of it (eat what I want, holiday where I want, do what I want). I'm still running the financial independence game ahead of the pack too because I'm aware of it and active and six figures is a lot of money to play with!

If you're spending 20,000 on self-medicating with ridiculously expensive lunches, it might be time to look into some new therapy. How do you even spend 50 dollars on lunch a day?

• Locked thread