Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
kickfarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

anthonypants posted:

except bideo shames

vshames are 50% it will be garbage/never arrive 50% itll be pretty good but there was no benefit over just waiting for a release

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

vshames are 50% it will be garbage/never arrive 50% itll be pretty good but there was no benefit over just waiting for a release

um excuse me buy having my name in the credits is totally worth paying 100 bucks for this 15 dollar game

i am contributing and being apart of something

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
chris roberts needs my thousands of dollars to make all my dreams come true

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

broken age is really really good even if tim schaefer can't manage his time or a budget for poo poo

la mulana 2, though...

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

stoutfish posted:

um excuse me buy having my name in the credits is totally worth paying 100 bucks for this 15 dollar game

i am contributing and being apart of something

i wish you were apart

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

TINA TURNER posted:

i wish you were apart

much like your posting

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i gave to a cool-ish kickstarter for an app that alerted you when congress was voting by picking up radio signals that are used to trigger the voting bells in the capitol building. i'm not american but i thought it was a neat idea.

i also gave to pressy, the thing that plugs into your android phones headphone jack and basically gives it an extra button. in retrospect this was a mistake - i was drunk.

i wish i could find a decent-looking way to use an led grow light with my herbs. my basil was doing great during the summer but is now dead b/c lol we get 8 hours of sunlight.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ian pls come back

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

that baby looks like an old man who's seen some poo poo

the underlying subtext in infinite jest is that the ultimate entertainment involves a mother apologizing to her infant child (you) for murdering your old rear end self in your previous life

this will appeal to everyone, thought the man who wrote what he knew very well, including such topics as plateauing in competitive tennis, maths, and drug abuse

also a mother who literally fucks a ton of dudes who aren't her alcoholic husband, including her oldest son

after a lucrative career as a writer and being well respected as a teacher of creative writing, having a lovely wife and children and basically living the american dream he hanged himself

:tipshat:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
after all, the only people who commit suicide are those who just cant appreciate their income and family life

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl posted:

the underlying subtext in infinite jest is that the ultimate entertainment involves a mother apologizing to her infant child (you) for murdering your old rear end self in your previous life

this will appeal to everyone, thought the man who wrote what he knew very well, including such topics as plateauing in competitive tennis, maths, and drug abuse

also a mother who literally fucks a ton of dudes who aren't her alcoholic husband, including her oldest son

after a lucrative career as a writer and being well respected as a teacher of creative writing, having a lovely wife and children and basically living the american dream he hanged himself

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i swear you posted that just to gently caress with me t:mad:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

syscall girl posted:

idgi

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

the most touching moments for me in infinite jest were DFW's discussions of depression and addiction. particularly the depression.

the author's suicide should not be a surprise to anyone.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spoiling the subject of The Entertainment gives away nothing and won't change the book for you at all hth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

spoiling the subject of The Entertainment gives away nothing and won't change the book for you at all hth
oh is that the cartridge that paralyzed everyone with joy

gently caress you too!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the most touching moments for me in infinite jest were DFW's discussions of depression and addiction. particularly the depression.

the author's suicide should not be a surprise to anyone.

i don't know if monopolar depression is an actual thing, where you don't get cycling between mania and depression but he exactly described something i have only experienced once

took a lot of mushrooms and got the darkness so bad i was fortunate that i literally couldn't get off the ground to find a sharp thing to end it all

anyone who can put out a good volume of work having ever even glanced at that specific emotional state is a tough rear end dude

kate gompert was a small presence in the book but drat if it didn't touch me

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

anthonypants posted:

broken age is really really good even if tim schaefer can't manage his time or a budget for poo poo

la mulana 2, though...

quote:

Mulbruk
(3024 years old. She looks about 24.)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

syscall girl posted:

I would donate to a Blood Sister: One Tough Nun romantic comedy kickstarted

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

took a lot of mushrooms and got the darkness so bad i was fortunate that i literally couldn't get off the ground to find a sharp thing to end it all

imagine this for the rest of your life

year after grinding year

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would donate to a Blood Sister: One Tough Nun romantic comedy kickstarted

most of JOI's filmography could be made into actual films that people would pay money to see made

j'accuse especially

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

imagine this for the rest of your life

year after grinding year

i have the mild depression which apparently isn't really fixed by SSRI's but just sort of 'treated'

sunshine and exercise are key

if i had that all the time i would not be here making dumb posts on the internet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i swear you posted that just to gently caress with me t:mad:

since i'm going for the combo, you can't actually spoil IJ

the book works on a visceral level, this dude is literally punching you in the gut with words

and then he delicately traces a sideways figure-eight on your back as you are drifting off to sleep so you can also get the joke

which he never found funny

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

syscall girl posted:

most of JOI's filmography could be made into actual films that people would pay money to see made

j'accuse especially

"The Joke" - B.S. Latrodectus Mactans Productions. Audience as reflected cast; 35 mm x 2 cameras; variable length; black and white; silent. Parody of Hollis Frampton’s ‘audience-specific events,’ two Ikegami EC-35 video cameras in the theater record the ‘film’s’ audience and project the resultant raster onto screen - the theater audience watching itself watch itself get the obvious ‘joke’ and become increasingly self-conscious and uncomfortable and hostile supposedly comprises the film’s involuted ‘anti-narrative’ flow. Incadenza’a first truly controversial project, Film & Kartridge Kultcher’s Sperber credited it with ‘unwittingly sounding the death-knell of post-poststructual film in terms of sheer annoyance.’ NON-RECORDED MAGNETIC VIDEO SCREENABLE IN THEATER VENUE ONLY, NOW UNRELEASED

~MAKE IT HAPPEN~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

which he never found funny

it's not funny

infinite jest is often farcical in content, but the tone is so dark that it is pretty much never funny.

a book that features The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment in the proud country of O.N.A.N. nevertheless manages to contain almost nothing that could fly as a joke

if you find yourself busting a gut consider whether you may in fact be a sociopath

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

"The Joke" - B.S. Latrodectus Mactans Productions. Audience as reflected cast; 35 mm x 2 cameras; variable length; black and white; silent. Parody of Hollis Frampton’s ‘audience-specific events,’ two Ikegami EC-35 video cameras in the theater record the ‘film’s’ audience and project the resultant raster onto screen - the theater audience watching itself watch itself get the obvious ‘joke’ and become increasingly self-conscious and uncomfortable and hostile supposedly comprises the film’s involuted ‘anti-narrative’ flow. Incadenza’a first truly controversial project, Film & Kartridge Kultcher’s Sperber credited it with ‘unwittingly sounding the death-knell of post-poststructual film in terms of sheer annoyance.’ NON-RECORDED MAGNETIC VIDEO SCREENABLE IN THEATER VENUE ONLY, NOW UNRELEASED

~MAKE IT HAPPEN~

i would actually love to see a gritty reboot of this

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not funny

infinite jest is often farcical in content, but the tone is so dark that it is pretty much never funny.

a book that features The Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment in the proud country of O.N.A.N. nevertheless manages to contain almost nothing that could fly as a joke

if you find yourself busting a gut consider whether you may in fact be a sociopath

i didn't say it was funny

the word 'jest' in the title is both a shakespeare reference (that i totally got because i am a cool dude) and something about looping back on the reader because there aren't really any scenes in it that you could laugh about

quote:

"Immanent Domain" - B.S. Latrodectus Mactans Productions. Cosgrove Watt, Judith Fukuoka-Hearn, Pam Heath, Pamel-Sue Vorrheis, Herbert G. Birch; 35 mm; 88 minutes; black and white w/ microphotography; sound. Three memory-neurons (Fukuoka-Hearn, Heath, Voorheis…w/ polyurethane costumes) in the Inferior frontal gyrus of a man’s (Watt’s) brain fight heroically to prevent their displacement by new memory-neurons as the man undergoes intense psychoanalysis. CELLULOID; INTERLACE TELENT CARTRIDGE RE-RELEASE #340-03-70 (Y.P.W.)

also which one of you is going to be the first to set up a fake JOI kickstarter?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syscall girl posted:

i didn't say it was funny

critics did

the foreword and blurbs on the back of my copy wouldn't shut up about how riotously funny the book was

now, having read the book, i wonder if those critics being quoted aren't just pod people

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

syscall girl posted:

also which one of you is going to be the first to set up a fake JOI kickstarter?

The filmography text makes for pretty good markov chain generator source material.

"Cage V - Infinite Jest (II)" - B.S. Meniscus Films, Ltd./Nationalist’ intertainmentary cast w/ sound. God and Sade’" - Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad. Parody/homage to inst live creation of The Asylum At Charenton Under to draw the documentary cast w/ narrator Judith a beautiful woman (Heath, Marla-Dean Chumm, Marla-Dean Century film & Kartridge Kultcher’s Sperbert G. Birch, Johnson), struggles him to displacement eliminate, mistaken for Incadenza, throws Sade (Johnson; 16 mm; 45 minutes (?); color; silent. 4,444 individual film’s medicinal bath (Heath). INTERLACE TELENT FEATURE CARTRIDGE RELEASED IN INTERLACE TELENT CARTRIDGE RELEASED

Untitled by a mysterized parody/homage to Bresson’s) rape of pain, from the spectators’ eyes becomes O. Incadenza’s delinquent Unlimited. Robert Lingle Girl" - Unfinished, unseen. UNRELEASED)

Untitled - Unfinite Jest (IV)" - B.S. Latrodectus Mactans Production speeds by the hyperretinal Films, Ltd. Documentary cast w/ narration Of Nurses onstage computer is secretly in which they pass. CELLULOID, LIMITED RELEASE #330-54-94 (Y.T.M.P. INTERLACE TELENT FEATURE CARTRIDGE #357-10-10 withdrawn to reform riots of one else is grotesquely palsied rescripted distorical Back Bay street hustler. INTERLACE TELENT FEATURE CARTRIDGE #357-10-10 with United anti-O.N.A.N. trucks to a rambling the othergill, Phillip T. Smother control of a sinished. UNRELEASED

"Cage III"…conclude that he is mistaking the intricate on that he intuits to assassination by O.N.A.N. tructions son to the Massachusetts convention credited to Caballs. INTERLACE TELENT’S ‘HOWLS FROM THE MARGIN’ and white man undergo unspeakable delinquent nun’s (‘Rections/Infernational authorities of an alcoholic-service cowpoke (Smotherapy discovers the filmmaker’s (Hurley’s) rape of Life (Heaven; Super-8 mm; 76 minutes; black and while and hatre of Continental neoplastis. CELLULOID, LIMITED RELEASE #357-10-10 withdrawn from lights of death, ‘Bunny Day’, ‘Taffy Appel’; 35 mm; 35 mm; 26 minutes; color; sound. Documentary can with Wilson Space a blind The Persecut

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

critics did

the foreword and blurbs on the back of my copy wouldn't shut up about how riotously funny the book was

now, having read the book, i wonder if those critics being quoted aren't just pod people

every book does that, no matter what and also lol you read the blurbs on the back of the book

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

every book does that, no matter what and also lol you read the blurbs on the back of the book

how else am i to ascertain their contents in a quick-like fashion

Brave GNU World
Nov 1, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Carthag posted:

that looks nothing like the photo, what the gently caress

ah, it's you! the hero of kvatch!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wait

since when is ultrasound "4D"

nevermind apparently that's legit

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Brave GNU World posted:

ah, it's you! the hero of kvatch!

:sterv:

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Werthog 95 posted:

wait

since when is ultrasound "4D"

nevermind apparently that's legit

yeah there's a place by me that does that. vanity ultrasounds

the fourth dimension is *~time~*

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i thought infinite jest was pretty funny in a lot of places but in that weird way only depressives find entertaining. the part where they play eschaton is great

and maybe 4d was a typo and they're talking about the ultrasounds of bands on the 4AD roster?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
4D fetal ultrasounds are similar to 3D scans, with the difference associated with time: 4D allows a 3-dimensional picture in real time, rather than delayed, due to the lag associated with the computer constructed image, as in classic 3-dimensional ultrasound.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

i thought infinite jest was pretty funny in a lot of places but in that weird way only depressives find entertaining. the part where they play eschaton is great

and maybe 4d was a typo and they're talking about the ultrasounds of bands on the 4AD roster?

troeltsch or whoever it was ended up going to the hospital with his head through a monitor while being supervised by a bunch of upperclassmen who are high and drunk as gently caress in "celebration" of interdependence day you can't laugh at stuff like that

quote:

Pemulis is literally jumping up and down in one spot so hard that his yachting cap jumps slightly off his head with each impact, which Troeltsch and Axford confer and agree they have previously seen occur only in animated cartoons.

spoilered for that one poster who was mad as gently caress earlier

leaving the quote in because it's apropos of nothing and actually a little funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Kaethela posted:

ian pls come back

• Locked thread