Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that's the only good thing to ever come out of record store day don giovanni has a good sense of humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I bought the Waxahatchee album last year through them and I remember thinking that Don Giovanni would release something like this. Just the name makes me think of a older gentleman with a well kept beard who named his label after himself and puts out only soul-gratifying music with occasional personal friends also featured.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm going to buy that record.

That is amazing.

Vvv aw I just glanced at the picture and that YouTube vid and didn't notice the label. The 8000 copies thing has happened before. See that Phantom Menace release. Some labels don't want to stay in business long, I guess vvv

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 21, 2014

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Wait, what's going on in this thread? I thought it was joke, but people are taking it seriously that a small punk label is going to press 8000 copies of a new age comp from the 90's? :psyduck:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Picked up all the BTMI! LPs at their last show (except Leave or Die, they didn't have it). Got a laugh out of this.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone else loving hate matte black sleeves/labels? I so much as think about touching them and smudges start appearing. It's bullshit :argh:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
You guys all suck, 1994 Pure Moods is the mad notes.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

beergod posted:

One of you bastards sell me ex military for non extortionist prices pls

783 members want this
5 For Sale from A$276.55

drat, it just keeps going up. The lowest price is for a sealed copy and then there are others that have been played "a few times" for even more. Very tempted to make some money off internet idiots.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Tycho's new album Awake is up for pre-order. Comes out 3.18.14, get it here: http://shop.iso50.com/collections/awake

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Dr. Lenin posted:

Tycho's new album Awake is up for pre-order. Comes out 3.18.14, get it here: http://shop.iso50.com/collections/awake

Ordered! :neckbeard:

Looking for advice: My turntable has a really heavy headshell. I think it's all aluminum. Is there any advantage to switching to something lighter?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

luncheon meat posted:

Very tempted to make some money off internet idiots.

Me too, by pressing a bootleg.

If I had a copy I'd be selling the poo poo out of it, it's impossible to know if a FOTM release like that will maintain much value. You could get a bunch of certified classics for that money.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ashley Madison posted:

Ordered! :neckbeard:

Looking for advice: My turntable has a really heavy headshell. I think it's all aluminum. Is there any advantage to switching to something lighter?

I've heard it's better to have the counterweight closer to the fulcrum. If you have a cart that has a low tracking force (which you probably should) then really a lighter headshell would be better, but at the end of the day I think as long as you can get it sorted it doesn't make a lot of difference. I use Technics headshells that I think are all aluminum but are still fairly light, one actually has an additional weight you can add onto it if you are a DJ or something and using a DJ cart, I guess.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Dogen posted:

I've heard it's better to have the counterweight closer to the fulcrum. If you have a cart that has a low tracking force (which you probably should) then really a lighter headshell would be better, but at the end of the day I think as long as you can get it sorted it doesn't make a lot of difference. I use Technics headshells that I think are all aluminum but are still fairly light, one actually has an additional weight you can add onto it if you are a DJ or something and using a DJ cart, I guess.

Thanks for the tip. It's a Technics SL-220. The pitch has gone a bit wobbly, but that's another problem.
I'll have to have a closer look at the cart. It's on the old side, but was hardly used before I took ownership.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Pure Moods is probably the least of our worries when it comes to RSD '14. Personally I think Record Store Day is a joke. At least here, anyway. You get in line two hours before the store opens only to have the record-flipper assholes in front of you buy five copies of everything so that there's nothing good left when you get to the front. And good loving luck trying to go to more than one shop and find anything decent. You have to send friends to the other stores, thus defeating any "social" aspect to the day. I don't know why stores don't institute some kind of limit to the number of copies you can buy. Maybe some do, but not in Nashville. Music city, my rear end...

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 21, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DammitJanet posted:

Pure Moods is probably the least of our worries when it comes to RSD '14. Personally I think Record Store Day is a joke. At least here, anyway. You get in line two hours before the store opens only to have the record-flipper assholes in front of you buy five copies of everything so that there's nothing good left when you get to the front. And good loving luck trying to go to more than one shop and find anything decent. You have to send friends to the other stores, thus defeating any "social" aspect to the day. I don't know why stores don't institute some kind of limit to the number of copies you can buy. Maybe some do, but not in Nashville. Music city, my rear end...

Agreedo.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I have been lucky to have never fallen prey to record flippers. I got all the big title stuff that sells for crazy dollars like that orange color In Relationship of Command through Hot Topic and the past few Flaming Lips RSD releases. You just gotta live in the cool places in this world, like Seattle.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Snowy posted:

Me too, by pressing a bootleg.

If I had a copy I'd be selling the poo poo out of it, it's impossible to know if a FOTM release like that will maintain much value. You could get a bunch of certified classics for that money.

Yeah. I'm going to stick my copy on eBay I think. I really like the record but for that money I could be paying bills and buying even more records.

Also I only bothered with RSD once. Hipster bait. My favourite store doesn't even bother doing RSD releases because the guy who owns it likes to sell his stuff at decent prices.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Did the thread title get changed to a song that is not on the 1994 version on purpose? That poo poo is deep.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DammitJanet posted:

I just ask the people at the store to put aside whatever I want then show up when I feel like it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ron Burgundy posted:

Did the thread title get changed to a song that is not on the 1994 version on purpose? That poo poo is deep.
It isn't?? It was in every commercial I remember!

fake edit: apparently not! well either way it makes me laugh every time

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

I just ask the people at the store to put aside whatever I want then show up when I feel like it.

Me too, although I am friends with the owner

I think the only thing I wanted last year was the Drive soundtrack (I know) and it didn't even come out until later due to manufacturing problems. I saw a ton of RSD releases unopened way marked up at the record show in the fall.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

My local places still have tons of RSD releases from previous years around. Don't remember which ones because I don't really care (doesn't seem like anyone else does either)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

My local places still have tons of RSD releases from previous years around. Don't remember which ones because I don't really care (doesn't seem like anyone else does either)

I'd say the majority of the releases just hang around.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Two copies of ex military went up on discogs today, one listed for $500 and the other for $600

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

Two copies of ex military went up on discogs today, one listed for $500 and the other for $600

What's this ex military record?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
It's a loving awesome record. Just not worth eleventy billion dollars. You can download it free from the band's site
:nws:
http://thirdworlds.net/

edit: Not work safe, unless you work somewhere they don't mind pics of dongs.

cheapandugly fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 22, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

cheapandugly posted:

It's a loving awesome record. Just not worth eleventy billion dollars. You can download it free from the band's site
http://thirdworlds.net/

edit: Not work safe, unless you work somewhere they don't mind pics of dongs.

I think he was being sarcastic because Exmilitary's prices get brought up every other page.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I hadn't heard of it til this page :shrug:

I just sold a couple of albums so I can afford to buy a different turntable woo

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

beergod posted:

I'm about to put mine up for $250 I guess.. That'll go straight into my "gently caress I need a new turntable this constant pitch adjustment is annoying" fund.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am glad I don't really like Death Grips at all.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Personperson14 posted:

I think he was being sarcastic because Exmilitary's prices get brought up every other page.

Just had to check. I know he's generally sarcastic about all kinds of stuff, but I can't have people not having heard of that album in this thread.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

good poo poo ebay

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What in the sweet gently caress is that thing

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

beergod posted:

What in the sweet gently caress is that thing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271377800370

e: jesus christ
Postage:
AU $53.40

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They sell those at Target for cheap, or at least they did a few years ago.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Poor bastards are going to pay for that piece of poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

I wasn't. I have no idea what everyone's talking about.

cheapandugly posted:

Just had to check. I know he's generally sarcastic about all kinds of stuff, but I can't have people not having heard of that album in this thread.

Yeah, it just occurred to me how much of my posting is like that.

bowmore posted:

Poor bastards are going to pay for that piece of poo poo.

Which is extra terrible because for that price you could actually get something nice like an ATLP 120 or Pro-ject Debut. Although I think anyone willing to spend that much on a turntable is going to be better informed that to buy that piece of junk.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, it just occurred to me how much of my posting is like that.

I think you mean, "Oh really, I had noooooooooooo idea how much of my posting is like that!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think you mean, "Oh really, I had noooooooooooo idea how much of my posting is like that!"

You stay out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Postage:
AU $90.40

Wow it's not standard for all of Australia. Those things look like they were recently found new in a warehouse after being made in 1994.