Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Alchenar posted:

Getting ready for the glorious moment when one of the joke terrible suggestions turns out to be spot on.

IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Whatever it is, we'll all buy it and complain about some random thing like misrepresented population statistics for Trolls in North Fantasia anyway.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Westminster System posted:

Whatever it is, we'll all buy it and complain about some random thing like misrepresented population statistics for Trolls in North Fantasia anyway.

Dirty Goblins stole all our clay!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
It could be an actual troll attempt, and it's a grand strategy space game (fire and darkness, no provinces)

Then you'll complain game won't portray all 4 sexes of Betelgeusians accurately

It's called Sol Universalis, get over it libtards

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Isn't this exactly what happened with EvW?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't this exactly what happened with EvW?

Kind of? People had been asking for a Cold War game since EU3.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Man, I love Kaiserreich, but sometimes I think that the team should step back from adding new events and nations (looking at you, Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus) and focus on cleaning up the events that already exist. I've been playing a game as Japan, and it's been a rollercoaster ride of digging through the event files trying to figure out just what the modder wants me to do to move on to the next step of making the greater east asia co-prosperity sphere. There was even a fun event regarding Mongolia where the only way it works is if you avoid immediately annexing them, because otherwise the capitulation event never fires, in contrast to basically every other capitulation event in the game.

That said the number of events in Kaiserreich is so insane that it'll never happen. Oh well, I can dream. :unsmith:

As the unofficial, self-appointed representative of the Kaiserreich mod team, I will defend the MRNC as a good idea (though it needs more election events, like every country) but I will also admit that I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Japan. The people responsible for its foreign policy event chains are no longer around and they haven't been touched since 2009, before the conversion to Darkest Hour. It's such a mess of flags and triggers that'd probably have to be rebuilt from scratch, but we managed that with Russia, so there's hope.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kavak posted:

As the unofficial, self-appointed representative of the Kaiserreich mod team, I will defend the MRNC as a good idea (though it needs more election events, like every country) but I will also admit that I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with Japan. The people responsible for its foreign policy event chains are no longer around and they haven't been touched since 2009, before the conversion to Darkest Hour. It's such a mess of flags and triggers that'd probably have to be rebuilt from scratch, but we managed that with Russia, so there's hope.

My biggest gripe with Kaiserreich isn't the depth, it's the (seeming) lack of an up-to-date wiki and the awful localization of a lot of events that are clearly written by people for whom English is a foreign language.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
No reason to only play Kaiserreich, the world of Hohenzollern awaits http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drone posted:

My biggest gripe with Kaiserreich isn't the depth, it's the (seeming) lack of an up-to-date wiki and the awful localization of a lot of events that are clearly written by people for whom English is a foreign language.

We are making a new wiki at this very moment.

As for the English, the problem is that only a handful of events use a config file, the rest are plain text in the event files themselves. Large scale grammatical fixing would have to be done by whoever has the "Master Copy" of the module. People have offered fixes, but they haven't been implemented much.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 21, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Hint #1 was "There will be fire and darkness"

DARK SOULS GRAND STRATEGY CONFIRMED

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

We are making a new wiki at this very moment.

As for the English, the problem is that only a handful of events use a config file, the rest are plain text in the event files themselves. Large scale grammatical fixing would have to be done by whoever has the "Master Copy" of the module.

You guys don't use version control?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

You guys don't use version control?

I'm sure there are old release versions still uploaded and/or stored somewhere, but I don't think so. I'm not technically a "Developer" yet, so I don't know everything.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kavak posted:

As the unofficial, self-appointed representative of the Kaiserreich mod team,

This might be an issue best taken with the DH team, but it's much more visible in KR, but you might want to be aware of it if it has not been pointed out yet: there is a beachhead on the Suez province which is actually useless; you cannot navally assault the province because you can't be in the sea province from which to launch the assault from (since the controller of the Suez blocks access to it). This is a problem in KR as you might realise, because it's a victory point and the only province Germany holds there, so if you're fighting a war with Germany and want to annex them you cannot do that without declaring war on someone else like Egypt to move troops from to Suez. If Germany had more provinces that you could land to connected to Suez, or Suez's beachhead was moved to another province (which would only half-solve the problem seeing as you'd be able to assault from the Mediterranean but not the Read Sea or vice-versa).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

I'm sure there are old release versions still uploaded and/or stored somewhere, but I don't think so. I'm not technically a "Developer" yet, so I don't know everything.

How on earth do you coordinate then? Do you just not have the same people working on the same file ever?

Seriously, tell KR team they need to setup SVN with Sourceforge or something. It's really not hard.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yes most mod teams are stupid and don't use version control.

Meanwhile, my one person HEGEMONIA is on GIT.

I should probably put Sengoku up as well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

YF-23 posted:

This might be an issue best taken with the DH team, but it's much more visible in KR, but you might want to be aware of it if it has not been pointed out yet: there is a beachhead on the Suez province which is actually useless; you cannot navally assault the province because you can't be in the sea province from which to launch the assault from (since the controller of the Suez blocks access to it). This is a problem in KR as you might realise, because it's a victory point and the only province Germany holds there, so if you're fighting a war with Germany and want to annex them you cannot do that without declaring war on someone else like Egypt to move troops from to Suez. If Germany had more provinces that you could land to connected to Suez, or Suez's beachhead was moved to another province (which would only half-solve the problem seeing as you'd be able to assault from the Mediterranean but not the Read Sea or vice-versa).

I'll take this to the Bug Report forum.

Wiz posted:

How on earth do you coordinate then? Do you just not have the same people working on the same file ever?

Seriously, tell KR team they need to setup SVN with Sourceforge or something. It's really not hard.

It's more like people will just make events or such, post them on the forum, and then whoever's in charge (I think AC of the DH team) will include it in the mod if they approve. I don't know who has access to the version that's put up for download, it might be just him. The forum's here if you want to check it out: http://cs.servegame.com/kaiserreich/index.php

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 21, 2014

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Suez Issues

On the flipside, occupying Mainland Germany results in either Egypt or the Ottomans occupying Suez 99% of the time anyways.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I think all the loving islands and stuff is more of a problem if you want to actually annex them. Egypt's flag has an eagle and black white and red on it anyway, why aren't you already at war with them for being too German? :colbert:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Dirty Goblins stole all our clay!

Ugh, elven nationalists :rolleyes:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A mod the size of Kaiserreich not using version control is absolutely horrifying. :stonk:

I can't even imagine how much easier life would be for the person acting as the ad-hoc repository if they were.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 21, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Ugh, elven nationalists :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that Nśmenor, before it sank in the Second Age, lay at sea beyond the Grey Havens and that its ships reached as far as Arda, on the other side of the waters. We Men have a claim, therefore, as heirs of Nśmenor, to whatever land might be beyond the sea, and any elves who may have immigrated over there in the centuries since have been trespassing in our lands and must pay fealty to the King of Gondor. For the memory of ancient Nśmenor, therefore, we Men proclaim the launch of the conquest of paradise!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Help how do I industrialize as the Shire??!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

DrSunshine posted:

You need to get sphered by Isengard and hope that the Scouring of the Shire event never happens.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Just drop paratroopers on them. Isn't Gibraltar the same in vanilla?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dublish posted:

That's fine and good for a player, but the AI's not that adept at launching non-conventional assaults. Especially if they've piled a bunch of divisions into it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

dublish posted:

Transport planes have woeful range though (and you might not even have the tech yet). If you could launch paratroopers from a carrier maybe, but unless you can use airbases in Greece or thereabouts you're not going to be able to do that. And I mean, there is really no good reason Suez should be simply untouchably by water, a naval assault on it should just be possible if it's going to be the only province Germany owns there.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The discipline bonuses for Mordor are pretty OP, but you get so much AE from taking provinces that by midgame everybody else is in a coalition against you and they keep spamming assassinations against me and once Sauron dies its game over.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I turn away for a second and somehow a goddamn stack of hobbits is on mount doom and the drat age of men event fired :argh:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Guys its Gondor Universalis, nobody wants to play as Rhūn or Harad or whatever anyway. :smug:

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Can anyone tell me what's the gently caress is the point of the Tom Bombadil division? It has awesome stats and abilities, but it's AI only, just dances around doing nothing, and it really takes me out of the game when it moves into my capital and starts spaming annoying event pop-ups about random poo poo I couldn't care less about.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

- Hi guys, we are announcing a new DLC, called Borealian Invasion. We always thought that playing in northern Middle Earth was somewhat less exciting than playing elsewhere, so here is something to spice it up! It is cheap, made purely for fun, and done by developers who weren't doing anything else at the time. Hope you like it :)

- The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel elven.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alright, the province line for Suez in the DH /map/Map_1/province.csv is
code:
900;PROV900;Suez Channel Area;Egypt;Africa;Arid;Desert;;;40;;1;1;2176;1;0;0;0;0;0;
[NOT GONNA BREAK THE TABLES OH NO]
17581;4685;17576;4661;17590;4650;17600;4615;1;17582;4631;17586;4625;17576;4661;;;;;;;;;;;17508;4616;-1;-1;;;;;;;
The pertinent bit concerning the canal issue is the section that reads 1;1;2176 which, according to the reference in the first line of provinces.csv, means Beaches;Port Allowed;Port Seazone. The 1s mean that it's enabled, so that beaches enabled for Suez province and ports can be built in Suez province. Port Seazone means which sea province the port/beachhead connects to. According to the above entry, Suez port connects to province 2176. Look at the below fragment of the Province ID reference map, and find prov2176:

It's not the Suez Canal. Turns out someone must've anticipated the problem with Suez and solved it with by making the land province connect to a sea province it doesn't actually touch. Mechanically, it solves the problem of the unassaultable Suez, but it's really unintuitive and not really noted anywhere that Suez behaves this way.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 22, 2014

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shadow of the Horned Rat Universalis

Dark Omen was better :colbert:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Bizarre question, but does anyone have a copy of "all the russias" from 6-7 years ago around? Specifically I'm looking for one song that came with it that I can half remember the tune to and that whatever the Cyrillic letter it started with showed up as Å due to not having a Cyrillic character set I guess?

e: if it helps I think it was also the loading/lobby song for the mod.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 22, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

dublish posted:

Why didn't the Hobbits just use the giant eagle transports to paradrop into Mordor's single VP province and annex the whole thing in like a day?!

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Because the Nazgūl Air Corps would see them and kill them before they could get that far? Their sole advantages are their stealth rating and engineer traits; why throw that away?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why didn't the Hobbits just use the giant eagle transports to paradrop into Mordor's single VP province and annex the whole thing in like a day?!

You can't give air units as an expeditionary force, so the hobbits wouldn't be able to load anything onto the transports anyway. I suppose you could flag the hobbits as an expeditionary force, but unless you have a friend playing as the eagles, the AI would probably just send them to garrison the Iron Hills or some poo poo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I thought the eagles were AI only for balance issues and maintenance events anyway? :confused:

Ofaloaf posted:

It's not the Suez Canal. Turns out someone must've anticipated the problem with Suez and solved it with by making the land province connect to a sea province it doesn't actually touch. Mechanically, it solves the problem of the unassaultable Suez, but it's really unintuitive and not really noted anywhere that Suez behaves this way.

Well also that you cannot navally assault from the Red Sea. The only reason I noticed this is because it really messed up a Qing game I had going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Project Nero hint #5 is "What does the Skald say?"

So we're definitely getting something about Norway (not just Scandinavia or fantasy-Scandinavia), with some degree of Nordic mythology thrown in there (the troll hint).

• Locked thread