Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Dodger could have legitimately worked as a Discworld story.

In fact as I was reading it, I was playing a little mental game and imagining the setting/characters in Ankh-Morpork and it fit well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mister Roboto posted:

Dodger could have legitimately worked as a Discworld story.

I was wondering why it wasn't.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's also the Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers, and Wings), which is aimed at a younger audience but is pretty solid.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

LooseChanj posted:

Same here. It really had a very Discworld feel and characters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LooseChanj posted:

Originally it was, but Pterry decided it worked better outside the Discworld setting. Ankh-Morpork isn't quite Victorian London yet.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
When it was first being hinted at I was praying that Dodger was another (albeit unconnected) adventure in Nation's quasi-Europe. It wouldn't have taken even as much of a repapering as a Discworld book. Just file down a few of the location names to make it less specifically real-world London and slightly reshuffle the "historical" figures and it'd be perfect. Not that it ended up mattering much in Dodger's final version, but reading Nation left me wondering a lot about its pre-epilogue setting (although about that too, to be fair).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thinking further, one could probably re-read Raising Steam and try and envision if each Vetinari scene is really him or Charlie.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just started my first Pratchett book, Mort. Its...well not exactly a challenge to read. Hasn't really grabbed me yet. Given all of the praise that this author gets can I attribute my (so far) lack of enthusiasm to it being a fairly early book and the praise derives from later works, or the book itself gets better than the first 45 pages or so suggests?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bilirubin posted:

Just started my first Pratchett book, Mort. Its...well not exactly a challenge to read. Hasn't really grabbed me yet. Given all of the praise that this author gets can I attribute my (so far) lack of enthusiasm to it being a fairly early book and the praise derives from later works, or the book itself gets better than the first 45 pages or so suggests?

Both; also, in general Mort's one of my least favorites. If you want an early one that is one of the best, read Small Gods.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Everybody loves the Death books; I think they're an awful loving entry point and not nearly as good as their reputation. The real star of the Discworld is Ankh-Morpork, and it's totally loving neglected by the Death books(aside from, perhaps, Hogfather).

I'd try one of the City Watch books before writing the Discworld off. Guards, Guards! or Men at Arms are good starters, there. I think Men at Arms is the better book by quite a bit and probably the better starting point. It's newer and it's much more representative of most of the Discworld than is Guards, Guards!.

The characters from it are first introduced in Guards, but Pratchett's not a particularly difficult read and it's not that hard to get your bearings straight. Subtle, his characters are not. If you don't like Men at Arms, give up on Pratchett, but if you don't like Mort, well. Mort's fairly lovely and not indicative of the series as a whole.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Men At Arms is a very good choice, as it got me really into the Discworld after playing the first Point And Click game and reading some graphic novels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Khizan posted:

Everybody loves the Death books; I think they're an awful loving entry point and not nearly as good as their reputation. The real star of the Discworld is Ankh-Morpork, and it's totally loving neglected by the Death books(aside from, perhaps, Hogfather).

I'd try one of the City Watch books before writing the Discworld off. Guards, Guards! or Men at Arms are good starters, there. I think Men at Arms is the better book by quite a bit and probably the better starting point. It's newer and it's much more representative of most of the Discworld than is Guards, Guards!.

The characters from it are first introduced in Guards, but Pratchett's not a particularly difficult read and it's not that hard to get your bearings straight. Subtle, his characters are not. If you don't like Men at Arms, give up on Pratchett, but if you don't like Mort, well. Mort's fairly lovely and not indicative of the series as a whole.

Just my luck to start with a dog. Well, its been on my bookshelf for so long I have no idea where it actually came from so it was time.

Thanks for these (and the other) suggestions. About 100 pages in and the story kind of tells itself with me as a passive observer. Decent enough pass time I suppose.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bilirubin posted:

Everyone always seems to recommend Mort as the first Discworld for people, and I've never quite understood that, but then I never found it as good as others seem to either.

I like the other Death books, but they are a bit more peripheral than most Pratchett stuff. I think Khizan is spot on.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mort has great ideas but it's a bit weaker than usual on characters, and the plot (in my opinion) isn't great. I liked both Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! much more. Mort is far from bad, but it's a weird starter recommendation that still gets thrown around a lot - maybe because it's one of the earliest books that aren't just parody.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Am I in trouble if I admit I liked Sourcery?

I started reading through Discworld from the beginning about eight months ago; I just finished Soul Music yesterday. They're all quite good; forced to choose, I'd say so far I liked Reaper Man the most and Pyramids the least. Moving Pictures didn't excite me much either.

As for which of the casts I'm most fond of, it's a close contest between the Watch and the witches. And like most I find Vetinari one of the most awesome characters ever, in a way that completely wouldn't work if he were ever made a central character instead of a mostly-background one.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 17, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like Mort if only for the line "There is no justice, just us". Plus it's a Death book and they're the best ones so there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Reaper Man has probably the greatest closing line of any book ever.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Am I in trouble if I admit I liked Sourcery?

I started reading through Discworld from the beginning about eight months ago; I just finished Soul Music yesterday. They're all quite good; forced to choose, I'd say so far I liked Reaper Man the most and Pyramids the least. Moving Pictures didn't excite me much either.

As for which of the casts I'm most fond of, it's a close contest between the Watch and the witches. And like most I find Vetinari one of the most awesome characters ever, in a way that completely wouldn't work if he were ever made a central character instead of a mostly-background one.

I like Sourcery. It's a nice blend of early Discworld fantasy parody and the things that'd come to make up Discworld in the future. Plus Rincewind going to fight the Things with nothing more than a sockful of sand was such a great scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Daktar posted:

I like Sourcery. It's a nice blend of early Discworld fantasy parody and the things that'd come to make up Discworld in the future. Plus Rincewind going to fight the Things with nothing more than a sockful of sand was such a great scene.

"Is it the sock of an Archchancellor? Is it a sock of force?"

That's about the only good bit of the book, though.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Bilirubin posted:

Just my luck to start with a dog. Well, its been on my bookshelf for so long I have no idea where it actually came from so it was time.

Thanks for these (and the other) suggestions. About 100 pages in and the story kind of tells itself with me as a passive observer. Decent enough pass time I suppose.

Yeah, I suggest Mort a lot, but if its themes aren't working, I think Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters would be good starters too, they are a bit more "traditional" in their narrative structure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My first was A Hat Full of Sky, because I didn't know it was a sequel. After that I went to Guards, Guards! and read the Watch books in order.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I started at Going Postal, I saw it at the local library and the description sounded interesting. One of the best drat book decisions in my life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always thought Mort had one of the best, if not the best, climax of any early Disc book, both in terms of emotional weight and action.

Pterry is kind of the inverse of Stephenson or King; his books tend to have fantastic endings, even when they start off weak (though the opening of Sourcery is pretty awesome).

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

YggiDee posted:

I started at Going Postal, I saw it at the local library and the description sounded interesting. One of the best drat book decisions in my life.

Going Postal was my first English Pterry book, bought on a whim because I had to fly to London. I'm so happy I did that!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I first read Thief of Time as my first Discworld novel, my dad read them all the time but I never tried until I was in Australia.

I really enjoyed it and then basically read his collection in order, but he didn't buy them in order (drat him) which is why I bought books to fill the gaps.

Sourcery is the one book of Disc series I haven't read.

To me I have to agree with the hive mind and say Ankh-Morpork is by far the best bit of the Discworld books and your first book should focus on that. To prove a point my favourite part of Pyramids is the start when the main character is in Ankh-Morpork as a member of the Assassins Guild?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Night Watch is still by far the best IMO, but it's not one you could really read first. I've been into Pratchett basically since I can remember, so I don't really know much on suggested reading order...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been stocking up on Discworld companion books (I recently bought Art of..., Turtle Recall, and Streets of Ankh-Morpork) and I had a look at Wikipedia to see what else is worth getting. Since I'm halfway through Wyrd Sisters and loving it, I think I might get Nanny Ogg's Cookbook next. What other tie-in books are must haves?

Also I found this: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Mrs-Bradshaws-Handbook-Terry-Pratchett/9780857522436

I haven't yet read a book with a Mrs Bradshaw in it, so I'm not sure what the connection to Discworld is. However, Bradshaw's Handbook is a famous travel guide to Britain from the 1800s, so maybe this will be a similar thing for the Discworld!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I hear the diaries are interesting, but they ARE still diaries, so it's up to you if the little snippets are worth the investment.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Night Watch is still by far the best IMO, but it's not one you could really read first. I've been into Pratchett basically since I can remember, so I don't really know much on suggested reading order...

I always thought starting with the Watch series was a good plan. If I recall correctly my first Discworld book was Men at Arms, but my first ever TP book was Truckers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

precision posted:

I always thought Mort had one of the best, if not the best, climax of any early Disc book, both in terms of emotional weight and action.

I am glad I stuck with it for the ending, which was oddly satisfying for an otherwise quick and uncomplicated read. Book grew on me as I went along. ETA: Albert's reappearance at the University was hilarious

OK so off to find a copy of Men at Arms I guess.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 19, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khizan posted:

I agree almost completely with this post. I started with Men at Arms and it was a great place for it. That said, the Eternal Pratchett Debate is "where is the best place to start" and for my money it's Guards, Guards, (with the possible alternative of The Wee Free Men if the prospective reader is very young), just because I find a lot of people get annoyed if they don't start a series at "the beginning" and Guards, Guards is as close to a "starting point" as you get in Discworld, and the best of the available "starting point" options (Color of Magic is too raw, Equal Rites is non-representative, etc.)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 19, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Amazing Maurice is a pretty good non-series starting point, I reckon.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Bilirubin posted:

I am glad I stuck with it for the ending, which was oddly satisfying for an otherwise quick and uncomplicated read. Book grew on me as I went along. ETA: Albert's reappearance at the University was hilarious

OK so off to find a copy of Men at Arms I guess.

Do you have any other Pratchett books?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I agree almost completely with this post. I started with Men at Arms and it was a great place for it. That said, the Eternal Pratchett Debate is "where is the best place to start" and for my money it's Guards, Guards, (with the possible alternative of The Wee Free Men if the prospective reader is very young), just because I find a lot of people get annoyed if they don't start a series at "the beginning" and Guards, Guards is as close to a "starting point" as you get in Discworld, and the best of the available "starting point" options (Color of Magic is too raw, Equal Rites is non-representative, etc.)
I always think of Wyrd Sisters as the first Witches book, not Equal Rites, mostly because nothing in ER ever comes up again (at least not until I Shall Wear Midnight, which doesn't really count). But Wyrd Sisters actually sets some important canonical stuff for the series. It's not a great place to start unless your target is a big Shakespeare fan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't tell anyone to start with the Witch books, but they are my favorite set of characters, Esme Weatherwax being the absolute best.

"Headology".

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I personally like Going Postal as a starting point. It's really self-contained, but the Vetinari/Vimes/etc. cameos show why the characters are amazing without having to know anything about them. You get to know Ankh-Morpork and the Disc and its peoples without having to eat any walls of text explaining things or being confused.
And I just really like the Post Office crew :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mister Roboto posted:

Do you have any other Pratchett books?

No, was surprised to find I had this one in fact

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Just start in chronological order with Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic combo and go on. Each one is a gem for itself (Soul Music being my personal favorite)

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah, like others said it's not a good entry point. I've seen people saying it's one you should start with (I think even Pratchett himself), but I'd skip even more and start with Guards Guards, then move to Small Gods and from there on you can read pretty much everything. You can come back later for Reaper Man and Moving Pictures which are pretty good early ones, but they aren't that necessary.
Books with City Watch are easily the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

adary posted:

Just start in chronological order with Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic combo and go on. Each one is a gem for itself (Soul Music being my personal favorite)

The problem with that is that the early books are more of a straight riff on old Fantasy staples, if you're a fan of Fantasy already then they're fun reads however if you're not they can feel a bit awkward and obtuse compared to the later Discworld books. My first Discworld book was Guards Guards about 20 odd years ago and I've never looked back.