Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Honestly, there's enough crap in the Aaron WatX omni that it probably won't be worth it. It had a really bad dip in quality when the AvX tie-ins kicked in, and didn't really pick up again until The Hellfire Saga. Then it got 2 issues of Battle of the Atom (are they going to be included?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

irlZaphod posted:

Honestly, there's enough crap in the Aaron WatX omni that it probably won't be worth it. It had a really bad dip in quality when the AvX tie-ins kicked in, and didn't really pick up again until The Hellfire Saga. Then it got 2 issues of Battle of the Atom (are they going to be included?)

Apparently so, since the listing for it says that it collects #1-42 and the Annual.

Was Hellfire Saga actually good though? I went all the way through the whole Frankenstein Circus story before I stopped (just didn't get to the shop frequently enough), and just plain fell behind and then stopped. I guess that's pretty much why I've taken to just getting suggestions on books and going with Trades/HCs/OSHCs as opposed to singles. The exception to that pretty much being the $1 sales that end up happening on Comixology and such. Speaking of, I still need to read those issues of Thor I picked up during that New Years Sale.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Hellfire Saga storyline in #31-36 was quite good, it wrapped up all the Hellfire Kids stuff which Aaron had been working on since Schism, unfortunately a lot of people stopped reading the book around the Frankenstein story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Volfogg posted:

Apparently so, since the listing for it says that it collects #1-42 and the Annual.

The page count doesn't add up, so the event issues probably aren't included.

Frankenstein's circus was definitely the low point, and I have general reservations about the overall pacing of the story (i.e. It often went loving nowhere), but WatX is probably still the best X-book in the last few years. Helps that the art is very consistent.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Frankenstein story was way, way better than the AvX or BotA issues.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

The Frankenstein story was way, way better than the AvX or BotA issues.

Nope! BotA was whatever, but the AvX issues were totally fine and focused on the characters more than the event. They're some of the best tie-in issues of any event in recent history as far as I'm concerned.

The circus arc was just boring, pointless pap and didn't even have any particularly good character moments.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hakkesshu posted:

Nope! BotA was whatever, but the AvX issues were totally fine and focused on the characters more than the event. They're some of the best tie-in issues of any event in recent history as far as I'm concerned.

They didn't make much sense for someone that wasn't reading AvX... Lots of stuff happened off page and every issues was "oh, this is happening now". But, that's the complaint of all event tie in books and it ruins titles for me (DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy had that problem going off track for six months during crossovers).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Uthor posted:

They didn't make much sense for someone that wasn't reading AvX... Lots of stuff happened off page and every issues was "oh, this is happening now". But, that's the complaint of all event tie in books and it ruins titles for me (DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy had that problem going off track for six months during crossovers).

I thought the crossovers killed the momentum of the book. I now have to decide if I want to make my own omnibus or spring for the official one.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dammit. Are the Jonah Hex trades outta print now? I just started reading them and bought the first four for super cheep now they are all climbing in price. Such thin little things I don't like dropping more than $5 or so bucks them.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Speaking of BotA, any chance someone picked up the OSHC or saw it and could tell me if it contains a digital copy?

I know omnis don't but events tend to.
I'm not interested in BotA but it would be nice if Infinity came with a digital copy.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.

PelvicNerve posted:

Speaking of BotA, any chance someone picked up the OSHC or saw it and could tell me if it contains a digital copy?

I know omnis don't but events tend to.
I'm not interested in BotA but it would be nice if Infinity came with a digital copy.

I got mine in the mail today, & it doesn't, which sort of surprised me, given their recent track record. I guess it wasn't "big" enough...

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Managed to snag this on ebay for £2. The spine is still stiff so it hadn't even been read. Trouble is I don't have Volume One! I just couldn't let that deal go, so now I need to find a decent deal on Vol 1.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sundowner posted:

Managed to snag this on ebay for £2. The spine is still stiff so it hadn't even been read. Trouble is I don't have Volume One! I just couldn't let that deal go, so now I need to find a decent deal on Vol 1.

Is that a TPB or a hardcover? I'm sure I could find you a matching Volume 1 locally (Florida), but probably not quite as cheap as that.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
It's a hardcover. I'm currently watching a few auctions on eBay so I might have one by the end of the night. Knowing my luck, however, they'll all probably skyrocket past what I'm willing to pay just now.

That said I appreciate your willingness to keep an eye out but I'm sure the cost of transit from Florida to Scotland will offset the potentially cheap price you'd find it for. :P

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If I have Avengers vol. 1-4 and New Avengers vol. 1-2, what's the best option for buying Infinity? I know there's a hardcover, but that seems to have a lot of the issues I already have collected in it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Buy the singles.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Already have them. Gosh, that was easy. Cheers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The problem with getting both volumes of Hush is that you end up with Hush.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Endless Mike posted:

The problem with getting both volumes of Hush is that you end up with Hush.

I was under the impression that people liked Hush?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sundowner posted:

It is written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Jim Lee. It is Loeb at his laziest with the obvious mystery and all his villains.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

It's a good story for people who haven't read a lot of Batmans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

It's a good story for people who haven't read a lot of Batmans.

The only good thing that came out of Hush is Winnick's Under the Red Hood.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It was a bit of an impulse buy when I was at my local comic shop, but I picked up Volume 2 of the Ultimate TMNT hardcover. It is so nice. It is extra large, so you can see all the fine BW details. The paper is thick and crisp. All in all, I am impressed.

I also grabbed, out of the discount bin, Volume 3 of "The Boys". I've always heard the " Hurf Garth Ennis HATES superheros" joke, and yeaaah, I can really see that now.
Should I pick up the rest of the collection? Eventually, that is. I don't buy often. Slowly working my way through Trans metropolitan, Preacher, Sandman. I make it a christmas gift for the TPB of the new Dark Horse Conan series. They are pretty good.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Johnny Aztec posted:

I also grabbed, out of the discount bin, Volume 3 of "The Boys". I've always heard the " Hurf Garth Ennis HATES superheros" joke, and yeaaah, I can really see that now.
Should I pick up the rest of the collection? Eventually, that is.

Eventually? Yes. I would hold out for discount bin finds or the digital omnibu'

For me The Boys is just outside my Ennis Top 5. Good, but not great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diamond just had a Dynamite clearance sale, I nabbed all 5 slipcase editions of the Boys for $200.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You overpaid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

You overpaid.

Eh, beat out the best price on amazon combined. And I had some consignment cash to burn.

Edit: I'd forgotten how loving long winded Ennis got on this series. Probably could've gotten the main beats of the story out in half the time.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 20, 2014

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

If I have Avengers vol. 1-4 and New Avengers vol. 1-2, what's the best option for buying Infinity? I know there's a hardcover, but that seems to have a lot of the issues I already have collected in it.

I'm actually looking at the Infinity omnibus right now and am a bit annoyed. As far as I can tell, it includes Avengers 14-23 and New Avengers 7-12. That's fine for New Avengers; I buy the first hardcover and I'm set. The first two hardcovers for Avengers only cover 1-12, though :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Actually, Avengers World and The Last White Event only cover Avengers #1-11. Prelude to Infinity covers #12-17. So it's even worse if you want to thread the omnibus in there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That seems like really poor planning on Marvel's part, they're normally good about collecting stuff too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was hoping they would collect all the pre-Infinity A/NA in one Omni and then the Infinity in another.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Avengers will probably get an Omni waaaaaaay down the line. Look how long the Hickman F4 omnibus took.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That didn't tie in so closely with a big summer event though. I was hoping that would speed it up a bit.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

So I'm an idiot and never bought the F4 masterworks 2 TPB and it's apparently out of print. Does anyone have a line on a copy or one they want to get rid of? I'm referring to the softcover with the black spine.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam! series from the '90s has never been collected, has it?
I'm tempted to hit the back issue longboxes and find a run to bind, but if Mike Grell's Green Arrow run can finally get a TPB, maybe there's hope...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hatter106 posted:

Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam! series from the '90s has never been collected, has it?
I'm tempted to hit the back issue longboxes and find a run to bind, but if Mike Grell's Green Arrow run can finally get a TPB, maybe there's hope...

I believe there is one trade beyond the graphic novel that started the run. Let's not fool ourselves though, that series will never see a full collection.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Rhyno posted:

I believe there is one trade beyond the graphic novel that started the run. Let's not fool ourselves though, that series will never see a full collection.

Shut up naysayer! It will! It definitely will!

It won't will it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot of DC series from the 1990s (which I understand are quite popular) that'll probably never be completely collected; the Five Years Later iteration of the Legion, Mark Waid's run on the Flash, Jerry Ordway's run on Shazam, Peter David's run on Supergirl and Young Justice.

Meanwhile, Marvel has published omnibus editions of "The Crossing" and X-Force by Rob Liefeld.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a lot of DC series from the 1990s (which I understand are quite popular) that'll probably never be completely collected; the Five Years Later iteration of the Legion, Mark Waid's run on the Flash, Jerry Ordway's run on Shazam, Peter David's run on Supergirl and Young Justice.

Meanwhile, Marvel has published omnibus editions of "The Crossing" and X-Force by Rob Liefeld.

There's a lot of stuff from the 80's (and I think extends into the nineties) that won't be reprinted due to the royalties agreement DC had in place with creators at the time. Basically, the money DC would have to pay the creators if they were to do a reprint is far higher than the norm and would likely make any collected edition unprofitable for them.

They have done deals with some creators to scrap the original agreement and take a reduced rate for any reprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Outside of a Showcase Presents volume I doubt we're gonna see much in the way of LOSH reprints any time soon.