Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I just read the blog, if they can take the same the and approach and make full on interactive rules and army books for Deadzone, Mars Attacks, Kings of War and Warpath they'll be leaving GW well and truly in the dust. Even better if they can then stream rule changes to the books like simple app updates.

Yeah thats a confirmed feature.

It'd be nice if physical copies came with a code for the ebooks or something. I like having physical copies for the first read through of the rules but these ebooks look crazy convenient for actually playing. I will probably double dip anyway. Depends on the cost I suppose.

I'd like to also say that its nice they are available on android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Yeah I'm hoping the physical books come with a download token of some sort, but I don't think that functionality will be available at launch. It can't just be a generic QC code printed in every book since people can just pass that QC code around and everyone gets a copy. It'll have to be a sticker with a unique code stuck in every book and I'm 99% certain that they're not yet set up to do that.

moths posted:

Any word on when the "shipping in December" army deals are actually shipping?

They should have gone out by now. Have you still not had a shipping notification? If not, drop an email to Sarah at sarah.clark@manticgames.com.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Yeah I'm hoping the physical books come with a download token of some sort, but I don't think that functionality will be available at launch. It can't just be a generic QC code printed in every book since people can just pass that QC code around and everyone gets a copy. It'll have to be a sticker with a unique code stuck in every book and I'm 99% certain that they're not yet set up to do that.

They should be if you buy from the website - I managed to win a free copy of the Deadzone rules after buying an Xmas Box, which involved a key code to trade in at their pdf supplier.

Though, that doesn't cover you buying from a FLGS

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

They should be if you buy from the website - I managed to win a free copy of the Deadzone rules after buying an Xmas Box, which involved a key code to trade in at their pdf supplier.

Though, that doesn't cover you buying from a FLGS

Yeah that's obviously easy to do. The last thing they want to do is something which could alienate FLGSs by offering something as standard from their website which isn't available in the FLGS.

Edit: From the studio head:

Q: Is there going to be a system, maybe by sticker on the inside cover, where you get a digital copy as well or discounted when you buy the physical book?
A: Not as yet. It’s something I’d like to do, but despite popular belief the costs of doing a digital book (an interactive one like this at least) are actually about the same as doing a physical book (if not more), so we couldn’t really afford to discount it especially with the surprisingly high cost of getting stickers printed with discount codes on :-P.

Q: Could the system be used to make a living rulebook with updated points costs, rules tweaks and the like for tournament play? Not updating the main rulebook, just a second copy marked "FOR 2014 TOURNAMENT PLAY ONLY"?

A: Yes, absolutely. At the moment, if you were to buy Seasons 1, 2, 3 and the Azure Forest pack you have the choice of reading them as separate books or combining them into one big book (with the content re-ordered appropriately). There’s no reason the reverse couldn’t be true and there could be an option to just pull out the bits required for a tournament. In terms of the living bit, it will be anyway, so we will make updates where appropriate.

DreadBall is the first game to be done like this, with Deadzone next. KoW is most likely going to wait until a new edition is done, just because it would be a lot of work to create the interactive content now only to re-do it next year.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 20, 2014

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

New edition? So I guess that second KoW kickstarter is coming this year then.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

More like development on the new edition will start late next year and they'll want a simultaneous launch for the new edition of both digital and hard copy. I'd expect a new edition sometime in 2016.

There will be a second KoW kickstarter this year though to expand the range. They'll be concentrating on Abyssals first and hopefully looking at hard plastic Abyssal Dwarfs too (oh please please please)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Yeah that's obviously easy to do. The last thing they want to do is something which could alienate FLGSs by offering something as standard from their website which isn't available in the FLGS.

Yes, and now more than ever is the time for Mantic to make best friends with as many FLGS as possible, what with all that ex-GW store space to be portioned out to them , PP, Infinity and anyone else who fights hard enough for it.

If the digital editions are that good I don't mind buying them separate, especially since I've gotten the printed version included with the Dreadball and Deadzone box thus far, can almost consider them 'thrown in' at that price.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, and now more than ever is the time for Mantic to make best friends with as many FLGS as possible, what with all that ex-GW store space to be portioned out to them , PP, Infinity and anyone else who fights hard enough for it.

If the digital editions are that good I don't mind buying them separate, especially since I've gotten the printed version included with the Dreadball and Deadzone box thus far, can almost consider them 'thrown in' at that price.

Absolutely agreed.

Also, it goes without saying; if anyone has an LGS which doesn't stock Mantic, or is dropping GW then let me know. I can get Mantic in touch with them as quickly as possible and see about getting some pathfinder support down too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't have a FLGS that sells minis, I shop from The Combat Company in Sydney over the internet, they're almost the go-to guys down here, been doing so well that their long term mail-order only business just rented a former warehouse and turned it into their first retail store. Not only do they not have any Mantic product at all, but after threatening legal action against GW over the Space Marine release (anti-competitive practises) this was the main part of their latest email newsletter:

quote:

Regarding the Tyranids new release, it's really disappointing to have to share bad news with you so early in the new year. Nevertheless, we need to let you know what is happening.

We have yet again been undersupplied with Tyranid new releases, and this is the reason we don't promote their products through emails or give them a release date any more. We were allocated up to a quarter of what we ordered originally, without any notice that there was short supply. In the last few months after a new release date, GW have been sending us our full orders when they realise they can't sell it themselves - examples being the Megaforces, such as the Tau Firebase Cadre, Adaptus Astartes Stormwing, etc, we were only allocated 1 set pre-release. Post-release, we were provided with 10-20 sets of each, without hesitation.

In the instance of Tyranids, we have ordered again after the release date (Tuesday 14 Jan 2014) and have still received nothing. The main reason we are writing this is to apologise for the inconvenience to our customers, but we have a suspicion you are growing used to the uncertain supply.

That said, we'd like to give Games Workshop LLC a slow clap for their 30% drop in overall sales over the last six months, as documented in their Half Yearly Report, and share their elation in the 24% share price drop at announcement of the Report. This may be a reflection of their poor* treatment of wholesale and, of course, you the customer.

Sarcasm and vengeance aside, we'd like to take this opportunity to mention there are many, many new games arriving just in time for CANCON, such as Bushido, Relics, Freebooter's Fate. And games including Infinity, Warmahordes and Bolt Action are only increasing in popularity, supported by fantastic online communities and growing local game club scenes. Much more economical, faster-paced gameplay and with great support from their manufacturers.

Seems like an opening to me, unless it's already been tried.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 20, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Daedleh posted:

They should have gone out by now. Have you still not had a shipping notification?

It's been "Awaiting Dispatch" for three weeks. I emailed Sarah so hopefully something will come of that. I was one of the hundreds of thousands of people whose cards may have been compromised in the Target hack, so my bank called to ask about this online purchase and maybe that threw a wrench in it.

I've been seeing references to giants - Do those rules come from an issue of the journal or something? I just finished my Reaper bones giant and why not dual-purpose it in a wargame in addition to RPGs.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Daedleh posted:

Absolutely agreed.

Also, it goes without saying; if anyone has an LGS which doesn't stock Mantic, or is dropping GW then let me know. I can get Mantic in touch with them as quickly as possible and see about getting some pathfinder support down too.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try contacting the premier (read: only) FLGS in Iceland on twitter or at their email (Nexus at nexus is) and see how they feel about it. This idea may have something to do with me ordering the KoW rulebook recently.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I honestly hope that Kings of War becomes the de facto fantasy regiment wargame once GW crashes and burns. KoW is such a great system, and Mantic deserve all the business they can get.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Silhouette posted:

I honestly hope that Kings of War becomes the de facto fantasy regiment wargame once GW crashes and burns. KoW is such a great system, and Mantic deserve all the business they can get.

Mantic's certainly got the right idea with regards to pushing their toys, i've got a Deadzone Demo kit, a 2 player starter from kings of war and a bunch of rulebooks coming to my club after only a brief email exchange. We've tried contacting GW before, and their reply was "We only support big tournaments" They couldn't even handle some posters and stuff to decorate our gaming room with. And that's the kind of stuff any larger company usually have in excess off, because it's a supercheap way to create goodwill and free advertising in their community.

It's also made me buy a shitload of Deadzone kickstarter stuff from a guy who didn't feel like the game after having got his kickstarter set, it's apparently equivalent to the collectors edition that they've got on pre-order now. can't wait to make a giant rear end gaming table!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

It's been "Awaiting Dispatch" for three weeks. I emailed Sarah so hopefully something will come of that. I was one of the hundreds of thousands of people whose cards may have been compromised in the Target hack, so my bank called to ask about this online purchase and maybe that threw a wrench in it.

I've been seeing references to giants - Do those rules come from an issue of the journal or something? I just finished my Reaper bones giant and why not dual-purpose it in a wargame in addition to RPGs.

Ok, let me know if you have any more problems.

The giants are dreadball giants rather than KoW. There are rules for some giants in I think the goblin and orc army lists. They're not exactly a top tier unit but certainly good enough. If you wanted to house rule an undead giant then giving it shambling and removing the wavering nerve value would be about an even trade I reckon.

I'd like KoW to get more popular but not sure I want it to be the *only* one like WHF was a few years ago. I'd like them to be on even ground so that players wanting a more complex and gritty game have that and someone wanting to play a unit based game has a popular one available too. If nothing else having to compete would make both games better.

Cheera for the LGS shout outs. I've forwarded them onto the sales teams

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's funny, I got a dispatch notification less than a day after I sent her the email. So looking forward to painting way too much soon! That's a good suggestion about the orc/goblin giant, too. Thanks!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
GW got burned on having good swag. They used to send out tons and tons of poo poo. When I worked for an LGS in like 05/06 they would send us crap all the drat time. But the problem was that when you send a store three giant posters every time you release a major book they either have to replace the posters or they just end up selling them on the side which is what we did. You can only get so many Black Library and Forge World calendars and various posters before you just start throwing them in as door prizes for tournaments and stuff and I think GW got butthurt about all the stuff showing up on ebay and the like.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
OK so is this Pandora thing a good place to get my Space Hulk fix? How is it? Is it a good game? Give me the deets.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

OK so is this Pandora thing a good place to get my Space Hulk fix? How is it? Is it a good game? Give me the deets.

I've not had chance to pick it up or play, but reviews seem very positive!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/800735/review-after-four-games
http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/review-project-pandora-grim-cargo.html

I don't think it's likely to get an expansion any time soon, but Deadzone will certainly scratch your board gaming itch when you've finished PP.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I want to buy some Mantic minis, mainly for collecting and painting; I've read many things about quality of the minis so I'd like to know which armies/games have the most issues? I'd like to buy stuff that is not featured by GW (Basilean, Abyss Dwarves), how are those models?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

radlum posted:

I want to buy some Mantic minis, mainly for collecting and painting; I've read many things about quality of the minis so I'd like to know which armies/games have the most issues? I'd like to buy stuff that is not featured by GW (Basilean, Abyss Dwarves), how are those models?

Basileans have some amazing characters but the standard men at arms are a little awkward to pose. The Ur Elohi are both incredible

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Really it's just the elves that have the major quality issues. Some people don't like how the heads on the dwarves look, but that seems more like a preference thing.

Also the elite swordsmen dudes for Undead can be summed up as "Skeleton, go home, you're drunk."

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Really it's just the elves that have the major quality issues. Some people don't like how the heads on the dwarves look, but that seems more like a preference thing.

Also the elite swordsmen dudes for Undead can be summed up as "Skeleton, go home, you're drunk."

I love the total shamblyness of the undead and I like the dwarf heads.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Winson_Paine posted:

I have played a few games of it so far and enjoyed the hell out of it. I have never played Space Hulk (any version), so I can't say just exactly how it compares and contrasts to that, but on its' own merits Project Pandora is a lot of fun, IMO. :)

Plus, if you ever get the itch to play Warpath later on, you already have a squad each of Veer-Myn and Corporation that's ready to go (minus bases, which is really my only complaint about Mantic's stuff; I would love it if they scrapped the little round "tabs" on the feet of their minis, and just used regular bases).

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Came here from the GBS thread laughing at GW and I think I might need to get my old warhams out of my parents loft - I think I've got a good sized undead army, some orcs/goblins, a ton of tau and a half finished nurgle traitor guard army. Oh, and a few necromunda gangs.

I am regressing to adolescence. Next I'll be listening to metallica and watching guyver.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Daedleh posted:

I don't think it's likely to get an expansion any time soon, but Deadzone will certainly scratch your board gaming itch when you've finished PP.

How... complete, I guess, is Deadzone? It looks Necromundaish, and Necro made me buy rather a lot of poo poo in addition to the core game. Is it a complete board game in and of itself? (and like, a real complete game, none of this GW/FFGish "oh yeah you can totes play our game with the starter box" bullshit)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It comes with two starter sets and enough terrain that you're going to have a good time but want more. It's a complete game, if lacking in options.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Deadzone is totally a game in a box, you get both teams, a pretty nice game mat and a full set of terrain in addition to the game pieces. Like unless you want non Enforcer/Plague teams you'll be able to play forever with just the box.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

gender illusionist posted:

Came here from the GBS thread laughing at GW and I think I might need to get my old warhams out of my parents loft - I think I've got a good sized undead army, some orcs/goblins, a ton of tau and a half finished nurgle traitor guard army. Oh, and a few necromunda gangs.

I am regressing to adolescence. Next I'll be listening to metallica and watching guyver.

Didn't find a trenchcoat in there as well did you? Welcome back to the fold! Have some free game rules! http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

Winson_Paine posted:

How... complete, I guess, is Deadzone? It looks Necromundaish, and Necro made me buy rather a lot of poo poo in addition to the core game. Is it a complete board game in and of itself? (and like, a real complete game, none of this GW/FFGish "oh yeah you can totes play our game with the starter box" bullshit)

Pretty darn complete. You'll realistically want another set of terrain to get a more interesting board setup (£25) but honestly it's great out of the box. Even if you didn't want to spend the money on more terrain, it's all based on simple 3" cubes so you can just cut some squares out of cardboard and you're sorted.

In comparison to Necromunda, the starting "gangs" have a full set of gangers, juves, heavies and leaders. The booster packs coming out simply contain more options, but you have more than enough in the core game. A basic game is 70 points and you get 123 points of enforcers (without any upgrades) and 98 points of plague.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah there's a decent amount of variety in the two starters for sure.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
DZ is pretty complete. The box set is everything you need*. There's a theme campaign soon, I believe, and apart from boosters, other factions, scenery, and the little things like tokens, you can play almost indefinitely.

God knows you'll buy new stuff once you play. Then play 4-mat games. Then sweeping campaigns.

You only stop when you either die or your friends stop talking to you after a drunken brawl over Frag weapons.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

It is however hilarious to keep pounding the same model over and over with frag weapons, not enough to kill it but to keep throwing it around the map and pinned so it can't do anything.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Or blast that annoying sniper from his cover into the open, where your own sniper can then pick him off.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
So hey, paint recommendations for deadzone models. The enforcers and such look doable with what i've got, but the plague models are done with stuff i don't have. Any colours recommended for these? GW/Vallejo preferred.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Frobbe posted:

So hey, paint recommendations for deadzone models. The enforcers and such look doable with what i've got, but the plague models are done with stuff i don't have. Any colours recommended for these? GW/Vallejo preferred.

I was thinking white undercoat, basecoat with whatever the equivalent is of bleached bone these days and giving a thin red / pink wash just to get started.. then layer up the bleached bone back over the raised areas and highlight to white.

Haven't tried it yet but that's what I've got in mind.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Winson_Paine posted:

You can totes borrow mine, I got the strike team kickstarter setup so 4 full factions plus mercenaries. Just need to prime the terrain, but you can see if you like it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So bad idea or best idea while assembling my Marauders, I noticed their kit has some similarities to the 1879 (Zulu War) pattern British Redcoat. (My dad used to do historical reenactments as them, so I know the kit well.)

So, red coats, white webbing, dark blue/black trousers, black cap with bronze buckle(shako), yellow trim (80th Regiment, not the more famous 24th, but that's where my loyalties lie).

They should look positively spiffing.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

enri posted:

I was thinking white undercoat, basecoat with whatever the equivalent is of bleached bone these days and giving a thin red / pink wash just to get started.. then layer up the bleached bone back over the raised areas and highlight to white.

Haven't tried it yet but that's what I've got in mind.

Yep this is pretty much what I did. Army Painter Bone base, with a 50/50 red/strong tone army painter wash:

Add more red for more pinkness. The bone colours were just bone with pure strong tone wash.

These are my enforcers:

And last night I wrote this up:

1. Undercoat or base coat Vallejo German Grey. This is a very dark grey that can alternatively be made by mixing two parts Army Painter Uniform Grey to one part AP Matt Black.

2. Drybrush the entire model with AP Uniform Grey, and then paint the grey panels with Uniform Grey.

3. Give the entire model an AP Dark Tone ink wash. On the Grey panels, try to either just pin wash (only put the wash where it needs to go) or soak up the excess and pooling using a clean, dry brush.

4. Edge highlight the grey panels using AP Ash Grey. You could try drybrushing if you wanted, but it'd be messy and wouldn't give the same effect. Edge highlighting is much neater, though it does require a steady hand and needs very thin paint (at least 1:1 of paint:water, if not more water).

5. Paint the red highlights on using AP Dragon Red and paint the eyes and energy blades with AP Crystal Blue.

6. Edge highlight the blades with a 1:1 mix of AP Crystal Blue and AP Matt White. Paint tiny little lines up the energy blade. Base the model

Grey Hunter posted:

So bad idea or best idea while assembling my Marauders, I noticed their kit has some similarities to the 1879 (Zulu War) pattern British Redcoat. (My dad used to do historical reenactments as them, so I know the kit well.)

So, red coats, white webbing, dark blue/black trousers, black cap with bronze buckle(shako), yellow trim (80th Regiment, not the more famous 24th, but that's where my loyalties lie).

They should look positively spiffing.

Oh god this would be amazing.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 22, 2014

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Frobbe posted:

I just spray white, wash flesh, wash pink/red, wash pink/red again on muscular areas and then paint bone and highlight white on the bonier areas. Probably post a pic later.

Enforcers spray white, wash blue, paint white, red guns. Its super lazy but it works.

Gonna do my marauders in desert camo so they look sorta like US marines in Iraq.

Rebs black and red obviously.

Edit: no idea how to paint up the 3rd gens' clothing I realise now I've never had to paint modern civilian clothes. Tried to paint some jeans on one and they were a disaster.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 22, 2014

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Winson_Paine posted:

No.

I'm a big Space Hulk fan and I keep buying games that promise to be Space Hulk - a lean set of rules that lead to tense battles. Project Pandora doesn't quite cut it. The rules are simple enough but there something about the gameplay that doesn't quite gel. One side - particularly the Corporation - takes a loss or two and then the whole side just crumbles. Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible game but it doesn't quite have the wow factor. When you finish a scenario, you don't remember a long struggle, fighting for vital positions and strategic retreats, more like "I had some bad dice and then my side fell apart".

On top of that, the rulebook is a bit poorly written and there's a whole bunch of ambiguities and gray areas. You can rule your way around them, and in fact you have to because no one at Mantic is interested in providing answers. PP is kinda abandoned. The box and tiles are made of the thinnest cardboard, and some of the scenarios are badly imbalanced.

This can across more negative than I intended, but it's not Space Hulk. On the the up side, you get a bunch of miniatures. It'd be cheaper to just buy them on their own, but if you like, you can get an okay game for a little bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you guys are using Army Painter you need to be matte varnishing. AP (and all dips) look like poo poo without it.