Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
The fifth version of the rules for Three Days Until Retirement are out, also here's a sweet Raymond Pettibon homage, which is going to be the cover for the Players Guide:

I have everything ready for getting physical goods printed, does anyone who's done this sort of thing have preferences for getting stickers/coozies/patches printed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Another sign of the apocalypse happened and GMS actually sent out a PDF preview of Far West.

There are already comments about how it's kind of a weird mish-mash system. It's d20 OGL but has aspects like in Fate! Plus, character creation/management involves summing all your traits, multiplying by 1.5 (resulting in a minimum of 96 for starting characters), then spending those points on either learning martial arts, or piecemeal in-play on +4 bonuses on your d20 rolls.

Sounds like a quick, simple, straightforward system for wuxia western action! :suicide:

Apparently special powers and setting stuff are nice, fun and evocative, at least.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh god the Earthdawn kickstarter continues to be :psyduck: and it's just a few days old.

Your pledge gets you free buttons, pins, custom mini, and t-shirts - all poo poo that's expensive to produce and ship, and which nobody gives a gently caress about.

But if you want a pdf funded by the campaign as a stretch goal, that's an extra $10. :v:

EDIT: Yeah, I just dropped my pledge level to $1. That's all the money I trust them with right now. I will see if it gets its head out of its rear end in some way, and maybe reconsider if so.

I have no dog in this fight as I'm not going to pledge for it regardless but I think you might be overreacting a bit? The free things you listed are stretch goals:

• $25,000 - Travar: City of Merchants will be added to the reward offers

• $30,000 - All backers will receive a Blood Charm button pin (we may expand this to a set of buttons)

• $40,000 - Elven Nations will be added to the reward offers

• $50,000 - All backers will receive an enamel pin of the 4th Edition Earthdawn logo

• $60,000 - Earthdawn 4th Edition Companion will be added to the reward offers

• $70,000 - Questors will be added to the reward offers

• $80,000 - All backers will receive a t-shirt with the 4th Edition Earthdawn logo

• $100,000 - All backers will receive a Kickstarter only 54mm miniature figure

Assuming they get exactly $30,000 in pledges from the lowest physical pledge tier ($20.00); that's 1500 backers. 1500 round button badges would cost between $200-$500 to get made (based on a quote found through Google) and could be thrown in an envelope with the book without (significantly, if at all) increasing the postage cost.

So for making 3 times their desired pledge amount they're offering to spend a couple of hundred bucks to give their backers something that most nerds would probably love. It doesn't look like they're really going too crazy with their rewards. I'd give it another week or so before you start being too vitriolic about their campaign.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

"All backers" includes everyone who pledges for $20 or less, or the $30 PDF-only tier. None of them include physical components apart from the stretch goals, so you need to add shipping. How many of them are international? A couple of pins might fit in a padded envelope, but a t-shirt, two pins, and a mini will set you back a chunk of change in international shipping.

Also, people in the UK will be charged at least a £1.50 customs charge, and possibly VAT on the t-shirt (since VAT applies to things like shirts and not to books), when all they pledged for was a set of electronic files.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

DigitalRaven posted:

Also, people in the UK will be charged at least a £1.50 customs charge, and possibly VAT on the t-shirt (since VAT applies to things like shirts and not to books), when all they pledged for was a set of electronic files.

Fun fact: Although VAT doesn't apply to books, journals, magazines or other written materials, it does apply to electronic versions of the same.

I work in academic publishing, and this sort of thing is a constant headache for our accounts people.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

jivjov posted:

I messaged them two days ago since my wife got her set and I didn't get mine (Odd, given same pledge level, last name, and shipping address) and was told things were still being shipped out in waves.

If you got bags or games and she didn't, that's why. They shipped coins-only first, and the bags are going to be further delayed because they accidentally got shipped to Germany - they're not doing partial shipping due to costs.

\/\/\/ Huh. No idea, then.

Remora fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 17, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Remora posted:

If you got bags or games and she didn't, that's why. They shipped coins-only first, and the bags are going to be further delayed because they accidentally got shipped to Germany - they're not doing partial shipping due to costs.

Naw. We both just got collector-sets of the coins. 1 of each for "Oooh shiny" purposes.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/fief-france-1429

Remake of a game from the 80's by the guys who brought us 1812: The Invasion of Canada (or that's the only one of their other games I've actually played). Knowing nothing about it, it looks like a board game version of Crusader Kings, which I can get behind. Anyone played an older version of this and know how it plays?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Their games are pretty good on a production and management level for the campaign (and fun to play as well). I wrote the historical introduction for the last game they kickstarted, Freedom: The Underground Railroad and they certainly had everything together and run through properly from the little I was involved for that project.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dwarf74 posted:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms seems to look pretty fun.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-kingdoms?ref=home_popular

I'm in for $24

Has anyone played the print and play for this? Is it actually any good?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plague of Hats posted:

Sounds like a quick, simple, straightforward system for wuxia western action! :suicide:

To be fair, most people who still care about Far West will probably just run it in Fate or something anyway :buddy:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone played the print and play for this? Is it actually any good?
Seems like it's getting a lot of love on BGG, but all my game time has been going to Conquest of Nerath.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like it's getting a lot of love on BGG

I know, that's why I worry.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I know, that's why I worry.

I'm pretty new to the board gaming world, what's the worry?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rivensteel posted:

I'm pretty new to the board gaming world, what's the worry?

This probably belongs in the board game or maybe Industry page, but to make it brief, BGG is a good place to get information and maybe even a bit of strategy, but it's pretty much what you expect would happen with a community of opinionated geeks with lax moderation. Most of the reviews posted tend to lack any ability to articulate the reasons why a person feels the way they do (and thus was born the "It's just fun!" in-joke in our board game thread). In addition, a lot of the reviews are pretty shilly, especially when the reviewers give a really positive review to a game, only for it to show up on their eBay account days later.

Specifically to Kickstarters, I've noticed that the community tends to hype themselves in such a furor that any hope for a balanced perspective is lost, especially when the Kickstarter is very much about miniatures first, with the game almost as an afterthought (I'm not implying this is the case with TEK, especially since it has no minis). My concern with TEK is that it would be too simple to be worth playing, and Small World sorta soured me on using a million fantasy races as a crutch for robust design.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I got pretty badly burned by reviews and hype on BGG for Fallen City of Karez, which convinced me to jump on a well overfunded project with less than a day left. So far it still hasn't finished shipping, and the game I do have looks pretty, but isn't hugely fun and has really badly written rules.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

GrandpaPants posted:

This probably belongs in the board game or maybe Industry page, but to make it brief, BGG is a good place to get information and maybe even a bit of strategy, but it's pretty much what you expect would happen with a community of opinionated geeks with lax moderation. Most of the reviews posted tend to lack any ability to articulate the reasons why a person feels the way they do (and thus was born the "It's just fun!" in-joke in our board game thread). In addition, a lot of the reviews are pretty shilly, especially when the reviewers give a really positive review to a game, only for it to show up on their eBay account days later.

Specifically to Kickstarters, I've noticed that the community tends to hype themselves in such a furor that any hope for a balanced perspective is lost, especially when the Kickstarter is very much about miniatures first, with the game almost as an afterthought (I'm not implying this is the case with TEK, especially since it has no minis). My concern with TEK is that it would be too simple to be worth playing, and Small World sorta soured me on using a million fantasy races as a crutch for robust design.

I think that's a little unfair to BGG - it's a big, sprawling community and trying to impose any uniformity or standards upon would be difficult. And it's not like the boardgames thread here doesn't pile on and declare that some things "own" while others suck.

But, you're right that there's a real fervour and cult-of-the-new at BGG. There were a couple of guys running around in the Deadzone threads there, talking up how it was such a great bargain and totally awesome and even telling people to up their pledges. I started to wonder whether they were company plants.

Nope. I've since seen them in other Kickstarter threads, talking about how that project is such a bargain and you can't afford to miss out, etc. etc. There just isn't enough time for them to assemble, paint and play all the games they're rabidly enthusiastic about.

[As for "shill" reviews: I know a guy who does a lot of softball "the components look nice" reviews. Nothing deceptive - he's upfront about what he does. He gets a lot of free games from publishers ...)

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
Apparently there was a little butthurt in the regular gaming kickstarter thread about me posting this there, but just a reminder that there is about 24 hours left on the Mega Man The Board Game kickstarter. Lots of awesome stretch goals still available and they seem to be meeting them about ever few hours or so. So if anyone is interested in it, nows the time to pledge.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/mega-mantm-the-board-game

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone mention the Metal Beards Steampunk-themed Dwarf army by Titan Forge?

They are in their last day and I'm pledging for a unit of their robo-dwarves.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Pinnacle just sent out the Savage Worlds: Weird Wars Rome. Beautiful quality as usual.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Pelgrane Press's time cops game just went live on Kickstarter. This is a GUMSHOE game and the preview I saw posted looked pretty cool, so I've backed it. $25 for a PDF though; seems a little pricy.

Edit:

TimeWatch posted:

Special thanks to the late Poul Anderson, whose Time Patrol stories are at the heart of TimeWatch

I am gonna ruin the poo poo out of some Danellian's plans.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 21, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

inklesspen posted:

Pelgrane Press's time cops game just went live on Kickstarter. This is a GUMSHOE game and the preview I saw posted looked pretty cool, so I've backed it. $25 for a PDF though; seems a little pricy.

Yeah, that seems to be the standard price for Pelgrane Press PDFs, unfortunately. Game looks pretty cool, though!

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
That looks awesome. In for $40. Also everyone vote for the RADIOACTIVE ROACHES.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Gumshoe is a terrific system that I have absolutely no desire to play.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I just launched a Kickstarter for a casual, convention-themed card game called Con Quest! It's totally luck of the draw, but it plays kind of like Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity or Abuse - the fun is in the combination of random cards to create convention situations like watching a parade of cosplayers on the plaza, to doing shots with space troopers at a concert, to being photobombed by goths in the bathroom. You can relive your fun (and horrible) convention experiences with your friends.

Also the awesome art is being done by fellow goon redcheval. Thanks for checking it out!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

inklesspen posted:

Pelgrane Press's time cops game just went live on Kickstarter. This is a GUMSHOE game and the preview I saw posted looked pretty cool, so I've backed it. $25 for a PDF though; seems a little pricey.

I threw in for it, too. I'm definitely interested to see what the solo campaign looks like once that stretch goal is hit... Because this thing is just destroying stretch goals thus far.

Time raptors all the way! :black101:

(I actually haven't voted yet... I'm leaning time raptor, but I really don't think there's a loser between time raptors and body snatcher roaches.)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I voted for the time raptors, but I don't really know what I'm voting for since they're both in the book. I just read about how time-dino PCs work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Guts of Glory arrived today and man are the components and artwork super nice. And it keeps my KS batting average at 1000.

Just Two Booms and a Room and Bones II left to be fulfilled in the games KS arena.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Guts of Glory arrived today and man are the components and artwork super nice. And it keeps my KS batting average at 1000.

Just Two Booms and a Room and Bones II left to be fulfilled in the games KS arena.

I'm waiting on Deck of Legends, the final product for Inverse World (the pre-release looks good!), and Bones II as well. Well, also a couple vidya game projects, but that's something else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Up Front! just released another art update and I can't tell if it's coming out or the guy is completely detached from reality at this point.

The art looks great, though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

I'm waiting on Deck of Legends, the final product for Inverse World (the pre-release looks good!), and Bones II as well. Well, also a couple vidya game projects, but that's something else.

I also have 2 graphic novels in the wings as well, but one ships this month and the other is full steam ahead by all accounts.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm still waiting on Up Front!, Alas Vegas, Hillfolk (Physical), Last Stand (Physical), Nightfall, Interface Zero (Physical), Tears of a Machine, Corporia, Inverse World(Physical), Bones II, Tianxia (Physical), Call of Catthulhu, Three Days Till Retirement (Physical)... and comedy option -- Cairn!

I've been really happy with my KS purchases and there's only one (Cairn!) which I feel I got screwed with and of that list above most of them have shown me a good reason to stay confident.

moths posted:

Up Front! just released another art update and I can't tell if it's coming out or the guy is completely detached from reality at this point.

The art looks great, though.

I have to agree. Something is being accomplished and I just have no loving idea what...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I voted for the time raptors, but I don't really know what I'm voting for since they're both in the book. I just read about how time-dino PCs work.

It's basically Pelgrane slavishly copying their successful Hillfolk Kickstarter format, which had a completely meaningless funding battle between warring clans. Robin Laws seems to think it meaningfully contributed to the success of that project, and even though I couldn't care less myself, who am I to gainsay the man that ran it?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've been really happy with my KS purchases and there's only one (Cairn!) which I feel I got screwed with and of that list above most of them have shown me a good reason to stay confident.

You heard anything at all form the new guy who took it over? I tried emailing him a couple of times indicating I was still getting the product if it was ever finished. But no response or any sort of acknowledgement of the email at all.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Man, if I had more game design chops, I'd consider making a funny animal RPG. It's clear there's a market for it. Hell, I'm half tempted to write up a system agnostic setting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Krabkolash posted:

You heard anything at all form the new guy who took it over? I tried emailing him a couple of times indicating I was still getting the product if it was ever finished. But no response or any sort of acknowledgement of the email at all.

His last post was on his blog like on the 4th of January. He'd been writing like mad over the Christmas Holidays apparently.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I got my tracking number for Rivet Wars :woop:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Rivet Wars castings are just so nice.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm still waiting on Up Front!, Alas Vegas, Hillfolk (Physical), Last Stand (Physical), Nightfall, Interface Zero (Physical), Tears of a Machine, Corporia, Inverse World(Physical), Bones II, Tianxia (Physical), Call of Catthulhu, Three Days Till Retirement (Physical)... and comedy option -- Cairn!

I have to agree. Something is being accomplished and I just have no loving idea what...

I like how Nightfall is NOT the comedy option here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You're still waiting on Hillfolk? Where do you live? I've had them for something like months now.

• Locked thread