Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

I don't at all, I've shot a gun once in my life.

My point is though

You don't get to have a point after saying that.

quote:

could a bullet look like that after impacting several bones?

Yes. Bullets are made of metal and bone is made of...why do I bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Morphix posted:

Can you explain why the bullet looks completely intact?

What was that now? An FMJ round doesn't deform anywhere near as much as you'd expect. In fact, the 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano FMJ round doesn't deform nearly at all, even through bone simulant plates. So...got any other keen "insights" that are easily debunked by experimental data?

Morphix posted:

I'd rather not get into Forensic Experts because as has been shown in couple threads on here, they're mostly bullshit artists that work for DAs getting people locked up. Their testimony largely means nothing in my opinion.
Thanks for throwing the dirty bathwater out; where's the baby, though?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morphix posted:

I don't at all, I've shot a gun once in my life.

My point is though, could a bullet look like that after impacting several bones? Because what you describe seems to be soft tissue stuff. I'd rather not get into Forensic Experts because as has been shown in couple threads on here, they're mostly bullshit artists that work for DAs getting people locked up. Their testimony largely means nothing in my opinion. Unless we're talking modern DNA forensics.

Sick burn bro, I bet you feel like a big dick swinga huh?

I'm surprised you aren't saying they faked it because the bullet looks like its carved out of wood in that photo. Holy hell, you are exactly what this thread started out talking about.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Welp that solved it, One dude fired a gun more than once therefore he's an expert qualified to speak on the manner, another posts evidence from a completely botched investigation that was later overturned. D&D posters once again proved they're the smartest bunch on the internet.

SedanChair posted:

Yes. Bullets are made of metal and bone is made of...why do I bother.

This is a magical quote. I love you. It's so simple, ones metal, the other is bone. Open and shut case Johnson.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2014

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I don't understand why legitimate ideas like Flat Earth are being lumped with easily debunked conspiracy theories like the JFK assassination or moon landing theories.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Morphix posted:

Welp that solved it, One dude fired a gun more than once therefore he's an expert qualified to speak on the manner, another posts evidence from a completely botched investigation that was later overturned. D&D posters once again proved they're the smartest bunch on the internet.

You're the one arguing there was a conspiracy to murder Kennedy using evidence you didn't do any research on and is easily discovered to be bullshit.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Morphix shot Kennedy. Prove he didn't.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Morphix posted:

*posits no actual argument, smugly hotboxes in own farts*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You don't need evidence to support a conspiracy, you need it to disprove it. But if there's any gaps or I don't understand something it automatically defaults back to "certain conspiracy" territory.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Pook Good Mook posted:

You're the one arguing there was a conspiracy to murder Kennedy using evidence you didn't do any research on and is easily discovered to be bullshit.

Is it?

quote:

John Kerry: I Have 'Serious Doubts That Lee Harvey Oswald Acted Alone' the Day JFK Died

But ya, posters in D&D say it's so, therefor it must be.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Kerry?! Welp guys, case closed, one D&D poster says another guy says LHO "didn't act alone" (whatever the gently caress that means) and as we all know, Senators are never wrong, so clearly the lizardmen Illuminati killed JFK.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know Hitler said Jews secretly control the whole world, and that guy was the leader of GERMANY. What do you say about that D&D goons you smarty-pants.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Hey now let's at least see what sort of evidence his serious doubts are based on.

John Kerry posted:

I certainly have doubts that he was motivated to do that by himself. I’m not sure if anybody else was involved. I don’t go down that road, with respect to the grassy knoll theory and all of that, but I have serious questions about whether they got to the bottom of Lee Harvey Oswald. I think he was inspired somewhere by something, but I can’t pin anything down on that. I’ve never spent a lot of time on it.

Basically he has a gut feeling. I don't understand what the point was of bringing him up in the first place.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Michele Bachmann is proof God exists QED sheeple :smugbert:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Morphix posted:

An assassinated President's death is so poorly investigated that proper ballistic tests can be thrown out the window because gently caress it.

And that's the conspiracy ender?

So hold up. Whoever did this (CIA, Mafia, Aliens) was clever enough to pull off a totally perfect assassination whilst framing another guy, but couldn't put up a report that wasn't riddled with errors? What did they think people wouldn't fall for it because it was "too good"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

This is a magical quote. I love you. It's so simple, ones metal, the other is bone. Open and shut case Johnson.

How the gently caress would you know how simple it is? You already said you're completely ignorant of ballistics.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

RagnarokAngel posted:

So hold up. Whoever did this (CIA, Mafia, Aliens) was clever enough to pull off a totally perfect assassination whilst framing another guy, but couldn't put up a report that wasn't riddled with errors? What did they think people wouldn't fall for it because it was "too good"?

Why would they have needed to produce a report that wasn't riddled with errors? When you have people on here still using the same riddled report to base their case on.

This seems more like a case of let's believe what's spoon fed to us without questioning any of it, because once you start questioning it, you might not be too happy with the power structure of these United States. Gotta keep the myth alive, people aren't ready for the truth, etc etc.

This reeks of the NSA spying scandal. Bunch of people basically willing to take the word of a corrupt government at face value because gently caress history n' poo poo, we're living in the now! Must post snipes on a forum, must be right, MUST BELIEVE EVERYTHING IS OK!

Morphix fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 22, 2014

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Morphix posted:

Why would they have needed to produce a report that wasn't riddled with errors? When you have people on here still using the same riddled report to base their case on.
The lizardmen Illuminati can kill the President of the United States but can't produce a good report.

Even though they literally control everything and can destroy anything which could expose the truth.

quote:

This seems more like a case of let's believe what's spoon fed to us without questioning any of it, because once you start questioning it, you might not be too happy with the power structure of these United States. Gotta keep the myth alive, people aren't ready for the truth, etc etc.

Your Atlas Shrugged copy is calling, it's worried that you're missing the daily jacking off over it.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Gen. Ripper posted:

The lizardmen Illuminati can kill the President of the United States but can't produce a good report.

Even though they literally control everything and can destroy anything which could expose the truth.

Your Atlas Shrugged copy is calling, it's worried that you're missing the daily jacking off over it.

debate AND discussion.txt

This is a serious posting place only but it's cool bro, in all likely hood I'll probably be the one thats bans/probated, as long as you're following the herd nothing to worry about keep throwing them jabs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

This reeks of the NSA spying scandal. Bunch of people basically willing to take the word of a corrupt government at face value because gently caress history n' poo poo, we're living in the now! Must post snipes on a forum, must be right, MUST BELIEVE EVERYTHING IS OK!

No, the issue is that we know the government is corrupt but we bother to engage with details, consistency and coherency. You're the guy who would have been like "the NSA hacked facebook, Kanye West is a CIA agent and 'Mercy' is about how the government did 9/11 but Obama keeps deleting my devastating tweets" while the rest of us learn things.

There are countless conspiracies with evidence and a coherent narrative for you to engage with, because they actually happened. But you'd rather masturbate. As long as you circle the truther toilet, you're human waste.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

SedanChair posted:

No, the issue is that we know the government is corrupt but we bother to engage with details, consistency and coherency. You're the guy who would have been like "the NSA hacked facebook, Kanye West is a CIA agent and 'Mercy' is about how the government did 9/11 but Obama keeps deleting my devastating tweets" while the rest of us learn things.

There are countless conspiracies with evidence and a coherent narrative for you to engage with, because they actually happened. But you'd rather masturbate. As long as you circle the truther toilet, you're human waste.

Again, another classic moment in D&D.txt history.

I'm gonna bow out of this discussion. Best of luck discussing poo poo fellas.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Heavy Zed posted:

Hey now let's at least see what sort of evidence his serious doubts are based on.

Basically he has a gut feeling. I don't understand what the point was of bringing him up in the first place.

I think this is the only reasonable stance you can have on the JFK assassination, to be honest. Any theory that attempts to cast doubt on any of the actual mechanics of the shooting - Oswald being the shooter, the path of the bullet, etc. is total nonsense. Oswald's life in the years before the assassination, on the other hand, was extremely unusually filled with opportunities for him to become somebody's agent, and it's certainly possible that he was. You can point to any number of weird coincidences, like him befriending de Mohrenschilt, and say "Aha! The point where Oswald was recruited!" or whatever, if you're so inclined. These are places where the narrative of the lone nut frays a little. The shooting itself is pretty much rock solid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Morphix posted:

And that same crappy report is probably the sole reason there even is a conspiracy in the first place. If they proposed a logical one that was bulletproof (no pun intended) you wouldn't be discussing this.

Morphix posted:

That is not even close to what's happening.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
hey guys I haven't been following this thread did Morphix tell us who did it yet

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

King of Hamas posted:

There were a frighteningly large number of well armed and well backed men that genuinely hated every president ever.

Fixed that.

quote:

There were more than three bullets fired at President John F. Kennedy and several of them came from the direction of the Grassy Knoll, and there were a group of people conspiring to assassinate. Note that my 'pet theory' is agreed upon by 61% of America according to gallup. http://www.gallup.com/poll/165893/majority-believe-jfk-killed-conspiracy.aspx

Well, if such an astute group of historians and scientists as the American public agree, it's settled. Anyway, evidence of all these bullets?

quote:

Only 30% of Americans think that Oswald did it alone. Perhaps you should explain your pet theory to me, and while you are at it explain to the class how one bullet can make half a dozen wounds and change direction 3-4 times.

:ughh:

There is nothing, absofuckinglutely nothing, odd about a very powerful rifle round going through two people. poo poo, there are handgun rounds that can go through two people.

1) entry wound on JFK's back that travels through soft tissue and 2) exits his throat (it would have lost little energy by this point having gone only through a relatively thin section of flesh). The bullet tumbles and 3) hits Connolly in the back, creating a keyhole entrance wound (there is some dispute about this) and after hitting a rib (which takes a good chunk of energy out of the round), it 4) exits and 5) nails his wrist, breaking another bone (which really slows it down), 6) exits, and, having been slowed to a crawl in bullet velocity terms, 7) barely enters Connolly's thigh.

This set of wounds has been replicated with astounding fidelity using ballistic gel and simulated bone.

It's always cute how "magic bullet" people only show the same photograph from the same angle. Yeah, it doesn't look real damaged. Which is why you have to look at this:

Notice how one side is flat? It takes an enormous amount of energy to make a slug flatten lengthwise. In fact, it flattened it so much that it caused the core to bulge out the back of the bullet. And how would that bullet be flattened lengthwise? Can any of the wounds account for that? Two can. The entrance wound on Conolly's back was, as I mentioned, a keyhole wound, meaning the bullet was tumbling and entered on its side rather than nose first. That's one, the second was Connolly's shattered rib, which was struck immediately after entrance, when the bullet likely would not have tumbled out of the position it was in when it entered.

So no, there's no dramatic mushroomed round, but if you know anything about what bullets do, you'd know that a rifle round doing that much damage isn't odd and the amount of damage to the bullet was substantial and indicative of striking something with great force.

quote:

This bullet made half a dozen wounds and changed direction several times, according to the Warren Report. Perhaps someone should have told them that bullets tend to change shape after impact!

They do! And if you'd look at more than that one photo, you'd know that!

But here's my favorite argument against the magic bullet, and it's one I've never heard the conspiracy folks address. Going by conspiracy lore, the bullet, which was found on the stretcher that carried Connolly, was planted by someone before the assassins could possibly know how many times and where they'd hit Kennedy or anyone else in the limo. The only thing an observer could be sure of was that Kennedy took one in the head, and maybe Connolly took one. There is no way they could know where all of the bullet fragments went, and they'd fired at least five and up to 250 depending on which conspiracy you believe. Which means that planting the bullet on the stretcher would have been the dumbest loving thing in the world and no group of killers, even stupid ones, would have risked exposure by doing it.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Notice how one side is flat? It takes an enormous amount of energy to make a slug flatten lengthwise. In fact, it flattened it so much that it caused the core to bulge out the back of the bullet. And how would that bullet be flattened lengthwise? Can any of the wounds account for that? Two can. The entrance wound on Conolly's back was, as I mentioned, a keyhole wound, meaning the bullet was tumbling and entered on its side rather than nose first. That's one, the second was Connolly's shattered rib, which was struck immediately after entrance, when the bullet likely would not have tumbled out of the position it was in when it entered.

You are missing a third possibility, the wrist injury also was caused by a tumbling bullet and left lead in the wrist. Lead in the wrist makes sense for two possibilities. It could have either hit sideways flattening the bullet and squeezed out some lead in the passage, or it could have been caused by the bullet already having hit sideways and had lead pushed out of the back in a bubble at the end then the hitting the wrist bones, rubbing some of the lead off the back.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Morphix posted:

Welp that solved it, One dude fired a gun more than once therefore he's an expert qualified to speak on the manner, another posts evidence from a completely botched investigation that was later overturned.

Overturned? What does that even mean? One government investigation found some things, a second one confirmed most of the first one before going conspiracy-stupid. And the best part? That second investigation you love so much declared that Oswald was the only shooter who hit anything. That's right, the House Select Committee on Assassinations concluded that there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll, but he didn't loving hit anything.

quote:

A car is made of metal. Get one up to 100 miles per hour and run into a cow, which is made of nice soft flesh and bone. By your laws of physics, the car will be in pristine condition.

Morphix posted:

The same error riddled report that was largely confirmed by the HSCA.

quote:

Ahahaha. Look at Morphix bloom and show off his true beauty.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

fermun posted:

You are missing a third possibility, the wrist injury also was caused by a tumbling bullet and left lead in the wrist. Lead in the wrist makes sense for two possibilities. It could have either hit sideways flattening the bullet and squeezed out some lead in the passage, or it could have been caused by the bullet already having hit sideways and had lead pushed out of the back in a bubble at the end then the hitting the wrist bones, rubbing some of the lead off the back.

Yep, thanks.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Ahahaha. Look at Morphix bloom and show off his true beauty.

More of a deathblossom really.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Going through this thread again, I got a few questions to ask:

Why is everyone convinced that creating a conspiracy requires someone with a superhuman genius? As long as you have resources, friends in the right places, and enough ambition to follow through pulling off a conspiracy can be pretty effortless no matter the situation. The only factor is time, and even that becomes a non-issue if you have enough power.

Why is everyone who had a hand in a conspiracy automatically a willful agent? It would stand to reason that if you were at the center of a conspiracy, the only people you would allow know about it is the people you directly plan it with. Telling others will not only create liabilities for you, but will, at best, be completely pointless.

Why do people think it's so hard to keep a conspiracy hidden? Ignoring that any half way decent conspiracy will disguise the actions taken in some plausible, unrelated way, it's not exactly hard to get something by the general public. Given the amount media that's produced on a daily basis, the fact most people are spread extremely thin with their day to day lives, and the general complacency of the public, they would barely be a factor in the conspiracy equation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MizPiz posted:

Why do people think it's so hard to keep a conspiracy hidden? Ignoring that any half way decent conspiracy will disguise the actions taken in some plausible, unrelated way, it's not exactly hard to get something by the general public. Given the amount media that's produced on a daily basis, the fact most people are spread extremely thin with their day to day lives, and the general complacency of the public, they would barely be a factor in the conspiracy equation.

Because for some strange reason none of the educated people can pick up on the conspiracy either, it's just the people who are prescribed medication for crazy pills.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

MizPiz posted:

Why is everyone convinced that creating a conspiracy requires someone with a superhuman genius? As long as you have resources, friends in the right places, and enough ambition to follow through pulling off a conspiracy can be pretty effortless no matter the situation. The only factor is time, and even that becomes a non-issue if you have enough power.

Why is everyone who had a hand in a conspiracy automatically a willful agent? It would stand to reason that if you were at the center of a conspiracy, the only people you would allow know about it is the people you directly plan it with. Telling others will not only create liabilities for you, but will, at best, be completely pointless.

Stop asking questions and start saying things. Give an example of this happening. Don't ask another question until you do.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the keeping it quiet thing is mainly about 9/11 and the "it was actually bombs in the towers and not planes" theory specifically, because rigging the towers to blow would take tons of people to do the actual labor to rig it to blow, supply everything needed, etc and the idea that none of those low level workers would let anything slip, accidentally or on purpose, is just stupid. If the conspiracy just involves people at the highest tiers of power, or is just a small, tight knit group, sure, but when you're talking about something that would require hundreds of outsiders to do the grunt work for, the probability of a leak just loving balloons.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Because for some strange reason none of the educated people can pick up on the conspiracy either, it's just the people who are prescribed medication for crazy pills.

Most educated people I know have other poo poo they need to worry about and/or aren't interested in the slightest about conspiracies except for maybe the "woah, dude" effect of them. Just because you're oh so much smarter than the general public doesn't mean you're immune from manipulation or deception.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Most educated people I know have other poo poo they need to worry about and/or aren't interested in the slightest about conspiracies except for maybe the "woah, dude" effect of them. Just because you're oh so much smarter than the general public doesn't mean you're immune from manipulation or deception.

It equally doesn't mean that conspiracy theorists are correct.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MizPiz posted:

9/11 was actually a conspiracy. A bunch of Al Qaeda members conspired and pulled off an attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Conspiracy Theories (TM) are not about actual, achievable conspiracies, they are about the completely baseless, evidence-free ideas spouted by JFK assassination crazy people or 9/11 truthers or flat Earthers. No one calls an actual conspiracy a "Conspiracy Theory" and there is good reason, the real ones such as the 9/11 official story are called the official story.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I already posted this several pages ago. Google building sev-an.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

I don't see a lot of willful agent stuff, more that the people were brainwashed / acting under conditioning and mind control. So school shooters who were prescribed psychiatric medication are the victims of a government plot to create terror attacks in order to justify gun bans.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MizPiz posted:

You really think the public (educated or otherwise) isn't interested in any attempt to make the government look bad or incompetent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MizPiz posted:

Why do people think it's so hard to keep a conspiracy hidden?

Because of all the "conspiracies" that we already do know of by now. Snowden was a guy that got turned off by all the poo poo the NSA was doing, and he managed to grab a bunch of files that he technically shouldn't have been able to access because IT security practice in the NSA was sloppy, just as it is sloppy in every other IT organization ever. If was easy to keep a conspiracy hidden, we wouldn't even be speculating about it - we just wouldn't know at all.

• Locked thread