Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Crowbear posted:

Jeff just tweeted about Tim Schafer and Greg Rice swinging by the office so there's probably some Broken Age coverage coming soon.

Speak of the devil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Crowbear posted:

Jeff just tweeted about Tim Schafer and Greg Rice swinging by the office so there's probably some Broken Age coverage coming soon.

Broken Age QLEX just went up.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-broken-age/2300-8391/

e:f,b.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hace posted:

Wait, that came out?

Beta is for the higher-tier backers, IIRC.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I wish Tim would be able to stop by more often. He's great on the couch. Also Broken Age looks pretty good. I'm was a backer but have been too busy to grab it yet. Maybe next week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A freelance writer doing an article on Steam economy stuff heard my Idle Thumbs emails and apparently tracked me down for an interview. Problem is, he's doing an article for Polygon, so I declined his offer. If it was literally anyone other than Polygon or Kotaku, I'd definitely do it, oh well.

Patrick needs to return my emails. He asked me to contact him about the hat stuff and I did, but he never got back to me both times he asked, dunno what's up. Hope he didn't take my "Scoops got scoop'd" followup email to Idle Thumbs seriously! Brad, can you get his attention?

Whizbang posted:

I'm glad you stopped because DOTA continues to be the worst.
They should stop producing content for the site because I don't like a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Captain Invictus posted:

A freelance writer doing an article on Steam economy stuff heard my Idle Thumbs emails and apparently tracked me down for an interview. Problem is, he's doing an article for Polygon, so I declined his offer. If it was literally anyone other than Polygon or Kotaku, I'd definitely do it, oh well.

If the guy himself was interesting, site affiliation seems seems like a dumb reason to decline an interview, especially since he was a freelancer. Polygon occasionally has some really good long form pieces.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Blanket hating Polygon and Gawker in spite of their regular good features is the most NeoGAF thing ever

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Captain Invictus posted:

Hah.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Captain Invictus posted:

I think you care too much about videogame news.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mutation posted:

You're just the best. :allears:

Idk, to me sounds kinda dickish.

Hah.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Patrick needs to return my emails. He asked me to contact him about the hat stuff and I did, but he never got back to me both times he asked, dunno what's up. Hope he didn't take my "Scoops got scoop'd" followup email to Idle Thumbs seriously! Brad, can you get his attention?

You own.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/74110961058/hey-please-dont-ignore-the-ms-machinima-scumminess

"and been tracking down stuff about the Candy Crush Saga developer, King, trying to trademark the term “candy.” (Yes, that is true.)"

:psyduck:

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Hey at least Kessler's still on Gameburglars.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Vince Videogames posted:

http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/74110961058/hey-please-dont-ignore-the-ms-machinima-scumminess

"and been tracking down stuff about the Candy Crush Saga developer, King, trying to trademark the term “candy.” (Yes, that is true.)"

Not only that, but they're apparently suing the Banner Saga devs for their use of the word Saga :shepicide:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Rinkles posted:

Idk, to me sounds kinda dickish.

Hah.
It's his story, and it's pretty cool that he doesn't want to waste it by contributing to the toilet bowls of games journalism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vince Videogames posted:

Yeah, I heard about that the other day and it just sounds completely insane. Apparently they're going after pretty much any app that has "candy" in its name.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Crowbear posted:

Not only that, but they're apparently suing the Banner Saga devs for their use of the word Saga :shepicide:

Someone posted elsewhere that their "saga" trademark got frozen or suspended or something. I don't know exactly what that means in terms of copyright law, or even if I'm using the correct terminology right now, but apparently the point is that it's really unlikely that a lawsuit against Banner Saga will happen now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There was a time when the word Edge was trademarked in video games and no one could do anything until EA went to court against the trademarker to use the word for Mirror's Edge.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh man this poo poo is getting out of hand.

http://kotaku.com/candy-crush-saga-makers-go-after-the-banner-saga-for-1506188958

Sorry for the kotaku link but yeah, sounds like King.com are the new Edge.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

I recommend if you're planning to play the game just watch it up until they start the game then minimize the window listen to it like a podcast. Brad verbally mentions a few specific puzzles, but otherwise its good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh man this poo poo is getting out of hand.

http://kotaku.com/candy-crush-saga-makers-go-after-the-banner-saga-for-1506188958

Sorry for the kotaku link but yeah, sounds like King.com are the new Edge.

Goddamn, US patent laws are the loving worst

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/425806305551347712

Patrick confirmed the best member of Giant Bomb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn, US patent laws are the loving worst

Why is the US one the worst? Wasn't there some Portuguese board game called Trenched so they had to rename it to Iron Brigade?

da 2pacolypse
Sep 21, 2005

analofficer

Rhonne posted:

Box City is no more. :smith:

I'm sure box city 2014 will be even better :allears:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is the US one the worst? Wasn't there some Portuguese board game called Trenched so they had to rename it to Iron Brigade?

That's trademark law, and it's the same pretty much everywhere. Patent law is horrible in the US because a guy who read magazines into a cassette recorder once can use that to get a patent that gives him the exclusive right to the concept of podcasts, and anybody that wants to make podcasts has to either pay whatever he wants them to pay him for that right or fight a long, incredibly difficult, and extremely expensive legal case to try to overturn his patent.

e: And after reading the article, the guy you're quoting is confusing patent law and trademark law, I think.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jeff is driving home from work with driving buddy, Dave!

http://t.co/12lz2YodVv

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Jeff's driving home and the podcast isn't up!?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

Jeff's driving home and the podcast isn't up!?

He said at the start the podcast is on the flash drive with him, as he editing it at home.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, when the patent for Candy said "educational use," does that mean schools? As in actual teachers and books?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rirse posted:

He said at the start the podcast is on the flash drive with him, as he editing it at home.

Dear god it's like those movies where the scientist is driving down the winding mountain pass carrying the cure for cancer from his remote lab.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Tae posted:

Wait, when the patent for Candy said "educational use," does that mean schools? As in actual teachers and books?

Candy will soon be written out of all school textbooks and teachers cannot use the word Candy unless they specificlly mention Candy Crush in a math problem.

Get ready for "Bill needs 5 more stamina to play the next level of Candy Crush. If he gets 2 stamina in 125 seconds, how many hours would it take to get 5 stamina?" questions on your Math tests.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Jeff's just dropped off dave and is getting some kind of fast food, so the podcast is probably an hour or so away. It is so loving weird that i know any of this at all.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

#2 with cheese and ketchup only. YUM

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wallrod posted:

Jeff's just dropped off dave and is getting some kind of fast food, so the podcast is probably an hour or so away. It is so loving weird that i know any of this at all.

The future is pretty cool but also kinda hosed up, in my opinion.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Jeff's Mixlr is weird and amazing. I love that he does it but sometimes i feel like a creep listening in on a conversation on the bus or something. I knew i was experiencing something new when he came home and the lights were on, so he took the 'cast inside his house.

we'll be together soon jeff

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 22, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Holy poo poo Patrick, do this. If he likes it enough maybe he can convince Brad to do a breaking Brad where he has to make it through the Gate of Illusion.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
What the hell is going to happen to the 1999 hit Candy by Mandy Moore?

FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS, KING.COM

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Jeff answered my question about Haim on his Mixlr stream so basically today was the best day of my life

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Podcast is up. drat close to 3 hours again. Love these long casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

#2 with cheese and ketchup only. YUM

...This is the same thing I get.

• Locked thread