Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
Yeah, I interviewed somewhere on October 28th and didn't hear anything back until last Thursday. They're still deciding and won't make the decision until the end of this month...so hang in there!

At my current job, we've had a position open since September and we probably won't make any new movement on it until the beginning of the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

corkskroo posted:

Definitely wait. These things take forever.

Really? I would say call. If a specific day is named I would give it a few more days and then come up with an excuse to contact them again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My personal thoughts are you get 1 thank you contact and 1 follow up, don't use the follow up too soon, but don't wait too long. If they said you'd hear something by Wednesday, don't follow up at 9:30AM on Wednesday, but if you haven't heard by Friday afternoon or the following Monday, a follow up wouldn't be out of place.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
Yeah, I had always heard you get 1 thank you and 1 follow-up, but since the person that interviewed me was so specific about when she'd contact me, I felt uneasy when I didn't hear anything. I figure I'll wait 'til tomorrow or Thursday and do my follow-up. That way it will have been close to 2 weeks since the initial interview.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I guess I'm jaded by our internal process. "We should know something soon" means "talk to you in 3 months."

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
The last interview I went to I was told "don't go to that other interview you have tonight (it was shady as gently caress anyway so I didn't) I'll contact you by 6 with a yes or a no, but its 90% likely a yes, and if its a no we can find another position for you in the next week or two."

I then heard nothing until a day and a bit later when the standard internal recruiter called with a job offer (not for exactly what I interviewed for, but an identical position 5 minutes down the road so close enough). Sometimes interviewers make promises they can't keep even if they are desperate to hire you. In this case because it was technically a different job, recruitment had to call me and offer it on their schedule. She wasn't allowed to.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Some dude is ALWAYS too busy to get back on approving the next step. Or out of town. If they weren't over working current employees they wouldn't be hiring.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Can you describe to us a good day and a bad day for you? It doesn't have to be work related.

I think I did well on the good day portion, describing things as accomplishs such as work, school, personal projects, family time, interacting with people, gym gains, and Jeopardy for a personal touch. However, for the bad day, I'm not so sure. I said not being able to do something completely but that it's ok because as something comes up, I adjust and continue to do what is I am doing if possible or do what I can. I'm not sure if it's that I rarely feel like I have a bad day, I'm generally able to do what I need to and I don't think of things as causing a bad day or I really am not sure what they were looking for.

Does anyone have some insight?

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
I had a phone interview that was limited to 30 minutes with 15 behavioral questions. I used the STAR method and had an example for every single question, as well as what I learned, and several of the answers also conveyed that I shared my solution with coworkers/process improvement. However, time was really tight and I was told that we had 6 minutes left for the last 5 questions near the end. I answered these more quickly with concrete examples and what I learned, and we finished right at 30 minutes. The interview conductor wasn't well humored and seemed very by the book, following template, no follow up questions or quips or anything. Did I flub this up and put too much into a phone interview? My longest answer was probably 4 minutes of relevant answering. I just don't know how this interview could have been completed in 30 minutes by any interviewee answering more than just vague, substanceless answers.
Luckily, it's not a life or death situation and not much changes, it'd just be a marginally cooler place to work. Do I have anything to worry about by pushing the time constraints on the phone interview? I was told I'll definitely hear back about the next step on 1-3-14 'whether I move on or not', so at least this thing isn't in limbo.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't think you hosed anything up, but that sounds unusually formal for a phone interview. I've definitely have time-constrained interviewers before, but never one that was like "we are stopping at exactly 30 minutes," did they give you a reason?

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

Well I got the 11:30 slot, lucky for me, sounds like my interviewer was hungry. I still thought that it was a bizarre, and that I would shift my lunch to 12:15-1:15 or whatever if an interview runs late.

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008
I had a face to face interview back in mid November, but there was no correspondence at all until yesterday. The recruiter wants to "debrief" me. This is a good thing, right? Because so far, all my rejections have come in the form of generic emails and a voice mail, so I'm slightly apprehensive.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It was really helpful in getting my first job out of college and I was able to negotiate for an extra $3000. So thanks!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Has anyone had any experience with this kind of recruitment process?

I've applied to graduate programs at some automotive industry companies. I don't have a technical degree and I'm not married to the idea of working in that industry, but I do find it really interesting. I've applied for positions in Purchasing. The application that seems to show the most promise (and coincidentally is the company I would most like to work at) had the following process: questionnaire, situational judgement test, numerical and logical reasoning tests, assessment centre. Obviously each stage has failure points.

After the logical reasoning tests I got an email that I passed the required threshold, and "the next step could be an invitation to the assessment centre". The wording made it seem like I passed an automated "pay attention to this guy" score threshold and the rest of the decision will be made based on every previous step combined. I'm very curious though: if anyone has had any experience, how narrow do you think that selection step is? Are the chances pretty good, do they just let everyone else this far or is there simply no way to tell?

I also got a call just before being given the situational awareness test asking me if there's any special requirements I have for the assessment centre they would need to take into account. I'm guessing everyone gets that call, but wouldn't it make more sense to do it at a later stage, when the pool is narrower? Is it utterly meaningless or could it be a good sign?

I also sent a follow up email with a bunch of questions about the company that I was genuinely curious about, as well as hopefully showcasing I am a bit more motivated than an average candidate. Questions such as "How much would I be expected to cooperate with other departments?" and that I believe I have some value beyond my immediate role. Was that good move? The email I got back was basically a politely worded "all the information you need is on the recruitment page" and I don't think the other person even bothered to read my mail, so it's a moot point, but I'm wondering for future opportunities.

Sorry about the multitude of vague questions, but I'm really inexperienced and very excited for possibly getting this job.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Typically, most objective assessments in job interviews tend to be on the easy side. They are there to weed out the idiots, if you have some basic level of competency you should do fine on them, and getting an exceptional score won't help much. Of course, if your job requires some third party or government certification that could be a whole different ballgame, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I also sent a follow up email with a bunch of questions about the company that I was genuinely curious about, as well as hopefully showcasing I am a bit more motivated than an average candidate. Questions such as "How much would I be expected to cooperate with other departments?" and that I believe I have some value beyond my immediate role. Was that good move? The email I got back was basically a politely worded "all the information you need is on the recruitment page" and I don't think the other person even bothered to read my mail, so it's a moot point, but I'm wondering for future opportunities.

I wouldn't do this in the future. Save these questions for an actual in-person interview (or at least a phone interview), preferably with someone in the department you'd be working in, not HR.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This thread has been confirming my fears that I have an off demeanor when I interview. I have been having a really good hit rate for getting an interview at the places I apply, but then it falls flat. In an odd twist of fate, I'm thinking that some my Toastmasters experience, where I was at a club that was mostly the same people I came to know very well, got me very good at well, being very comfortable and casual when talking with strangers. I thought it was great but it's also unprofessional. I'm not saying like it should get me fired, but not necessarily hired. Somebody once told me that some people are like good cops, some people are like bad cops, and I'm like a retired cop. Throwing some sarcasm into the demeanor must look terrible in an interview. I'm inclined to try to ... tighten it up a little bit. If there isn't anything out to which I really, really want to apply, do people see problems with basically using a different place as practice? There are some places where I wasn't sure I'd be happy and I could see it either way, so I don't even try. I'm trying to switch jobs, but I have to admit that my situation is pretty decent in the short term.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
What did I do wrong?

A while ago I was approached by company asking if I'd like to come and work for them. I say sure thing, send me the details. Seemed cool so I sent in my CV. Recruiting person really likes it and next day I get an email asking for salary and notice period. So I ask if they have a number in mind, that I'd rather meet in person first to discuss and sure we could find number that works for both of us. Same day they get back and position has been got rid of and they might have something later in the year.

I loathe my current job and thought this one sounded pretty good, so I'm a bit :smith: what can I do to avoid this in future?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What did I do wrong?

A while ago I was approached by company asking if I'd like to come and work for them. I say sure thing, send me the details. Seemed cool so I sent in my CV. Recruiting person really likes it and next day I get an email asking for salary and notice period. So I ask if they have a number in mind, that I'd rather meet in person first to discuss and sure we could find number that works for both of us. Same day they get back and position has been got rid of and they might have something later in the year.

I loathe my current job and thought this one sounded pretty good, so I'm a bit :smith: what can I do to avoid this in future?

Chances are something happened internally that doesn't involve you. Either the person who you spoke with overstepped their authority and got shot down, or there was some confidential information they didn't have access to that directly affected your potential position.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

What did I do wrong?

Large company? The left and right hand literally do not know what each other is doing. Very easily some higher up somewhere decided "Hiring freeze" or "no we don't need a thing Rolled Cabbage does no money for you" and welp, thats that.

Small company? The owner\head honcho did an about face and instead decided to get a new car.

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

How well do you think the average person performs in an interview? I spent weeks preparing for an interview I had recently, and all of my answers were at least 4s, but I did have an an answer or two out of about 20 that didn't translate well/were received with a little confusion but were solved with clarification. I followed everything else in this guide and had the interviewers laughing and joking with me (when appropriate). They didn't give anything away, but this panel interview is probably the biggest hurdle to the final stage. I guess my doubt lies with this job being too good for someone with my experience, even though I know I could rock it and be one of the best.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
My question is in regards to the "bad mouthing" in the OP. I had an internship that was pretty bad, in my opinion. My boss was never around, he never returned emails, phone calls, or often told me "I'll get back to you at this time," only to never get back to me, and to keep pushing the time later and later if I came to him. When I get asked about my internship, I am just honest about it: I tell them it was not as great an experience as I had hoped, that my employer was not a great assistance to me, and I wish I had had a better experience, but I always punctuate it by saying that I took all this time I had to try and further my knowledge in my field (web design/development), on my own, such as learning the Bootstrap 3 framework rather than sitting around doing nothing all day. Is this the right way to handle it?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

My question is in regards to the "bad mouthing" in the OP. I had an internship that was pretty bad, in my opinion. My boss was never around, he never returned emails, phone calls, or often told me "I'll get back to you at this time," only to never get back to me, and to keep pushing the time later and later if I came to him. When I get asked about my internship, I am just honest about it: I tell them it was not as great an experience as I had hoped, that my employer was not a great assistance to me, and I wish I had had a better experience, but I always punctuate it by saying that I took all this time I had to try and further my knowledge in my field (web design/development), on my own, such as learning the Bootstrap 3 framework rather than sitting around doing nothing all day. Is this the right way to handle it?
In a word, "No." You're thinking about it from your perspective. You had a bad experience and are trying to justify it. That's a 1/5 answer.

Instead, try to think about it from the hiring manager's perspective. She has little or no way to verify whether what you're saying is true and can only judge you based on what you tell her. You're taking advantage of what little time with her you have to impress her to complain. No on likes having complainers work for them, and if you can't bend your natural predisposition to complain for five minutes when you're trying to impress her, how can you be expected to handle a tough assignment without complaining? But then you make it even worse... Rather than handling the situation professionally or proactively, you bragged about wasting company time to screw off. No wonder you didn't get a full time offer when your internship ended. Interview over.

It's pretty clear in the OP. If you talk bad about anyone, you can count yourself out. Don't do it.

Instead, try saying something along the lines of "It was a great experience! I learned Bootstrap 3 framework and <other keyword>. It's unfortunate that the company had no positions available at the end of the internship, because I really enjoyed working with the web design team." That would be a 3/5 answer.

If you want to score better, add "They're trying some creative new things to increase user engagement. Do I have enough time to tell you about some of them?" and have two or three specific examples on how you could increase user engagement, or whatever you do to add value.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

swenblack posted:

If you want to score better, add "They're trying some creative new things to increase user engagement. Do I have enough time to tell you about some of them?" and have two or three specific examples on how you could increase user engagement, or whatever you do to add value.

Depending on the field, that might not be such a great idea. Trade secrets and all that.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

swenblack posted:

In a word, "No." You're thinking about it from your perspective. You had a bad experience and are trying to justify it. That's a 1/5 answer.

Instead, try to think about it from the hiring manager's perspective. She has little or no way to verify whether what you're saying is true and can only judge you based on what you tell her. You're taking advantage of what little time with her you have to impress her to complain. No on likes having complainers work for them, and if you can't bend your natural predisposition to complain for five minutes when you're trying to impress her, how can you be expected to handle a tough assignment without complaining? But then you make it even worse... Rather than handling the situation professionally or proactively, you bragged about wasting company time to screw off. No wonder you didn't get a full time offer when your internship ended. Interview over.

It's pretty clear in the OP. If you talk bad about anyone, you can count yourself out. Don't do it.

Instead, try saying something along the lines of "It was a great experience! I learned Bootstrap 3 framework and <other keyword>. It's unfortunate that the company had no positions available at the end of the internship, because I really enjoyed working with the web design team." That would be a 3/5 answer.

Chill out, there's no need for the hostility, nor is there a need to try and personally attack me: I wasn't offered a full time position because I was moving out of the state right after graduation and they knew that. Yes, I read the OP, which also says that if you must talk about that kind of situation to attempt to be diplomatic and to tailor it to a positive ending. I was curious if I was handling it in that way, as I do not share the skeevy details of my internship beyond that it was not as great as I had hoped, but that I took the opportunity to still learn what I could with the time I had available to me while also sharing that I was able to learn fun things like how to make t-shirt designs and assisting our in house graphic designer when she was overwhelmed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Dude, he wasn't attacking you, he was presenting the interviewer's perspective when they hear an answer like that. And he's right, there really aren't that many circumstances where it's better to tell an interviewer that your old job sucked, no matter the reason.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I'll probably just be echoing, but this is so common that I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Remember, the person who gets hired is the person who is most likely to add to the team/business and the least likely to be a drain. You have a very limited amount of time to impress them, and they're going to take everything you say about others and apply it to what they can expect you to say about them. The old addage, right? If you can't say something nice . . .

A better approach for you might be to say something like:

“It was a very hands-off management style with a lot of on-the-job learning and a trial-and-error method of approaching problems.

Since parting ways, I’ve retained the practiced focus on efficiently finding answers before asking questions, and it’s really helped me expand my knowledge base. Even if do I have ask someone for the right direction I’m better able to discuss the challenges I had in finding the information, which often helps me better understand the resources available.

Because of the focus on finding my own way and leveraging other employee’s knowledge and experiences, it also increased my professional network (as well as teaching me the importance of maintaining that network).

Another benefit of the internship was that my employer made it clear that he didn't want me to rely on him/her for everything, including my time-management. There was a lot of down-time in between projects thanks to how well we all worked together. Along with taking that down-time to better learn own my role and assisting others, I was allowed personal growth and to use it to expand my knowledge in web development and design.”

Do you think something like that might be able to be worked into your situation?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Transmogrifier posted:

Chill out, there's no need for the hostility, nor is there a need to try and personally attack me: I wasn't offered a full time position because I was moving out of the state right after graduation and they knew that. Yes, I read the OP, which also says that if you must talk about that kind of situation to attempt to be diplomatic and to tailor it to a positive ending. I was curious if I was handling it in that way, as I do not share the skeevy details of my internship beyond that it was not as great as I had hoped, but that I took the opportunity to still learn what I could with the time I had available to me while also sharing that I was able to learn fun things like how to make t-shirt designs and assisting our in house graphic designer when she was overwhelmed.
My intent wasn't to personally attack you, it was to show you my thought process if I was interviewing someone and they answered how you did. There's certainly no hostility intended either. In general, interviewing in very impersonal. No one cares about your circumstances as much as you do. For entry level jobs, assuming that you meet the basic qualifications, I'm looking for two things: no red flags and a positive attitude.

BTW, I really like your username/avatar combo.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

At an entry level or something like that you're best off accentuating the positive as much as possible.

Once you get to a higher level and have a good understanding of power dynamics and how to play the game you can navigate these waters and critique without talking out of class. But unless you're at that level just go with "accentuate the positive."

That said, read the room. When I interview folks, if they're perceptive, they figure out that I'm not your average corporate hiring manager. Still, they shouldn't go overboard criticizing their previous job but a little "we're all grown-ups" acknowledgement of challenges will let me appreciate their honesty. But read the room. That's my main advice for all situations. If you can read the room you can achieve a lot.

corkskroo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 27, 2014

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

corkskroo posted:

At an entry level or something like that you're best off accentuating the positive as much as possible.

Once you get to a higher level and have a good understanding of power dynamics and how to play the game you can navigate these waters and critique without talking out of class. But unless you're at that level just go with "accentuate the positive."

That said, read the room. When I interview folks, if they're perceptive, they figure out that I'm not you're average corporate hiring manager. Still, they shouldn't go overboard criticizing their previous job but a little "we're all grown-UPS" acknowledgement f challenges will let me appreciate their honesty. But read the room. That's my main advice for all situations. If you can read the room you can achieve a lot.

Would you mind fleshing that out a little more? I'm interested in your experience and environment.

How would they notice you aren't the average corporate hiring manager? how would you describe an average corporate hiring manager? How do you split the dichotomy between proper criticism and overboard criticism? How do you go about reading the room?

My personal experience with even high level executives: anything said about the last boss might as well be about them a year from now. I mean, unless it was something like "Haha yeah, my last boss was near impossible to work with at first, but I/we . . . " Basically, providing an example of their skills at partnering successfully with just about anyone. I've come away with "everyone can be a poor communicator/unfriendly boss/bad partner sometimes."

The people I've worked with are (ideally) individuals who can support the business, even when all the chips are down. They find ways to be successful in partnering with whoever is necessary (specifically without talking about someone who isn't present to defend themselves, like during an interview).

In the event I ended up sitting in front of someone with your take on things, however, it would be good to have insight into what you want people to align to.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

Would you mind fleshing that out a little more? I'm interested in your experience and environment.

How would they notice you aren't the average corporate hiring manager? how would you describe an average corporate hiring manager? How do you split the dichotomy between proper criticism and overboard criticism? How do you go about reading the room?

My personal experience with even high level executives: anything said about the last boss might as well be about them a year from now. I mean, unless it was something like "Haha yeah, my last boss was near impossible to work with at first, but I/we . . . " Basically, providing an example of their skills at partnering successfully with just about anyone. I've come away with "everyone can be a poor communicator/unfriendly boss/bad partner sometimes."

The people I've worked with are (ideally) individuals who can support the business, even when all the chips are down. They find ways to be successful in partnering with whoever is necessary (specifically without talking about someone who isn't present to defend themselves, like during an interview).

In the event I ended up sitting in front of someone with your take on things, however, it would be good to have insight into what you want people to align to.

Totally fair questions. When I conduct interviews I try to set the interviewee at ease to see what sort of natural rapport we can have (even though I know it's an unnatural environment) so I find common ground. Also, I let them know that the job they're applying for is basically my old job so they know that I've done the work and I understand where they're coming from. The best, most honest interviews don't involve them saying that their old boss was "impossible" but sometimes people talk about a lack of opportunity to advance, or overly high levels of pressure, or lack of management engagement, and those comments coupled with their demeanor let me know that what they're saying is "my last job was a nightmare, you know what I mean, you've been there too, but I don't want to badmouth them..." which I appreciate. Also the job that I'm interviewing them for involves a lot of complex internal client communication and if someone takes that tactic with me it gives me confidence that they'll be able to read our internal clients pretty well too (with coaching.)

All that said, if you don't feel like you can read that situation, go with a fully positive approach since veering into smack talk is a bad move. I've had that happen too and it's a turnoff, not because I'm afraid they'll smack talk me in a year but because I need them to communicate well as part of their job. I feel confident that I can read an interviewer and drop a bit of counterintuitive honesty when I need to (especially if it's a situation where we both know what the real story is and pretending otherwise would be silly) but that's not to say that it won't backfire at some point. If I think it might I'll play it safe. I had 8 interviews for an internal opportunity last year, ranging from people I know well to high-level execs I've only heard of before. You'd better believe I tailored my approach differently for each one. The folks I know probably appreciated my honesty and trust in them. For the others I went with our corporate culture: positive, humble, open to feedback, willing to learn, etc... Not that I didn't do that with the other people but I also gave them a little more of my honest thoughts. But of course, internal is different from external.

The main thing is even if you find a way to discuss challenges at your old work don't dwell on it. Use it as a platform to make them think how great you'd be in their company. Limited room for advancement at the old place? You are a burgeoning leader who can transform their team! Stuff like that. It's all about what you're going to bring them in the future, not what happened in the past. Of course, these are just my experiences. Ymmv

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the follow up, that's a pretty in-depth explanation.

I agree with you entirely, I think, in that it's the difference between "but I don't want to badmouth them . . . " and "don't even get me started!" The easiest way I have to explain it is "the closer you come to name-calling, the further away your are from a job." Sound like what you're getting at?

I actually have a presentation coming up to talk to internal mobility and promotions. I'm trying to keep it laid out in steps/facts/actionable items, but also include the "flavors" they might need to recognize and adapt to (thanks again for your own btw).

Also, I liked your explanation of communication skill assessment in regards to the negative speech being rolled into overall communication ability. I'll probably adapt that for the presentation as well. It sounds silly, but I never drew such a clean, general summary. My take has been pretty much the same--but more geared towards the outcomes than the skill itself (i.e. "poisoning the well," causing inadvertent rifts, failing to capitalize on potential partnerships etc.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I agree with you entirely, I think, in that it's the difference between "but I don't want to badmouth them . . . " and "don't even get me started!" The easiest way I have to explain it is "the closer you come to name-calling, the further away your are from a job." Sound like what you're getting at?

No, it's the difference between saying something negative about a previous employer, at all, and still being in the running for a job. If you use either "I don't want to badmouth them" or "Don't even get me started!" in a job interview, that's pretty much going to be it, sorry.

Be positive. Always.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

No, it's the difference between saying something negative about a previous employer, at all, and still being in the running for a job. If you use either "I don't want to badmouth them" or "Don't even get me started!" in a job interview, that's pretty much going to be it, sorry.

Be positive. Always.

;) the difference between. I only used those as a way to allude to the general implications of a subtle interview conversation.

Agreed though!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Yeah, like I said, if you're at all unsure just play it safe and go all positive. But IF you feel you have a handle on the situation and can try something a little different and still come across the way you want there are ways to do it.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hi guys, thank you for this thread. I read over the OP and didn't see the interview type I am about to do covered, so I thought I might seek out any advice you guys may have to offer.

I'm going for what will be my third interview, counting my phone interview. This interview is in a format where I will be having short, one on one sessions with various members of the team. During these five minute sessions I will be expected to ask them questions about the institution I will be working for, and their role in it.

After these five minute sessions are concluded, there will be a 30 minute group interview with all the people I had one on one questions sessions with.

I guess what I find unique about this is that I expected to ask them questions this go around. Has anyone been through a similar interview or performs similar interviews on candidates?

Any advice is much appreciated.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Phone interview for an engineering job at 3pm! :ohdear:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Got offered an internal transfer position I interviewed for, which will be a big raise :toot:

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
I'm not sure if anyone here has any experience with this or could give some added advice, but I have a second (and final) interview coming up this Wednesday. It's a panel interview for a non-profit organization that I am really stoked about joining. It's for a communications/digital/visual/marketing kind of job. It's a little jack-of-all-trades, which is one of the first jobs that I've seen fit my background entirely. Needless to say, I want to ace this thing.

What's throwing me for a loop is they say it's a panel interview, but the panel is made up of some of their teen volunteers as well as a board member whose background is similar to mine. I've already met with their Director and Executive Director and they asked me all the "technical" questions and a few "personality" questions that seem par for the course. What in the world should I expect and/or prep for with this panel interview? I know the first post gives a little info on these panel interviews, so I guess to clarify: Will they probably ask me the same questions that I had at the previous interviews with the directors? Are the teens involved to see if I more or less can mesh well with them, as I would be working with them quite a bit?

StarSiren fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Anyone ever interviewed with Amazon before? How long does it take to hear back after a phone interview?

This is like my dream position and I've basically been like this since I got the phone interview confirmation

EDIT: also I just had the phone interview so I'm still like that except x10

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread