Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

I'm of two minds about the star chamber of guitar purchasing. If they're saying you can't have one of these guitars because you can't wail out on these hawt lixx and killer riffz like doc faust, then gently caress them. If they're saying you can't buy one because your playing is going to be boring and pedantic, then I can kinda see it.

spoiler alert: it's definitely the former

except 1000% more bluesdad, as the man himself will attest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZibPG3flxm8

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mclast posted:

WDE if i werent alraedy commissioning you to build me a guitar to play rhythm guitar posthardcore on, i;d be commissioning you to build me a C64 bass to play live dubstep on. drat that's cool as heck

Do you play around here? What band are you in if you don't mind me asking (since you already know mine!)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

comes along bort posted:

spoiler alert: it's definitely the former

except 1000% more bluesdad, as the man himself will attest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZibPG3flxm8

video description posted:

What I wanted is the "in your face" vibe of George Thorogood.

welp.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

30 second chunks of 3 bars of something passable as music that then devolve into an uncountable number of bars of atonal noodling in a time signature of π/ϕ

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

He's a pretentious dick.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Do you play around here? What band are you in if you don't mind me asking (since you already know mine!)

heh info on my old band comes with half my life story, so you gotta ask twice. just, big dumb paragraphs everywhere

the short answer is, i'm not playing out yet (prepping guitar/vox/writing after having been a bassist in previous bands) but i should have a short set together around the time my cybercaster is ready

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

WDE if i werent alraedy commissioning you to build me a guitar to play rhythm guitar posthardcore on, i;d be commissioning you to build me a C64 bass to play live dubstep on. drat that's cool as heck

I'd love to have a go at doing one of these, the electronics are a bit beyond me though. Sure I could work it out if I read up a bit.

Also, the SID sound chip in the C64 is actually a pretty cool bit of kit, you can get some decent sounds out of it. I could go on but it's a bit outside of the scope of this thread, so have a wiki link.

Wonder Bread posted:

Who can forget the majesty of Zachary Guitars-- with 'tone holes' and the 'samurai headstock'

See if you qualify for one of these beauts:

Pretty sure the Zachary Guitars guy has actual autism, I remember going on his mess of a website (TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE) and finding mentions of him having 'the engineers disease'. It would explain a lot. Also, a few years back someone on a forum (I want to say tdpri), tried to take the neck off his Zachary guitar and found that his screwed-on neck was actually glued on, he posted an email from the Zachary guy and got a reply that would have made Ed Roman blush, something like "Because my guitars are perfect why would you take them apart??? blah blah blah blah tone blah blah blah". I can't find the post now, so perhaps I dreamed it up.

He did build a guitar out of a chopping board though;

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 21, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Pretty sure the Zachary Guitars guy has actual autism, I remember going on his mess of a website (TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE TONE) and finding mentions of him having 'the engineers disease'. It would explain a lot. Also, a few years back someone on a forum (I want to say tdpri), tried to take the neck off his Zachary guitar and found that his screwed-on neck was actually glued on, he posted an email from the Zachary guy and got a reply that would have made Ed Roman blush, something like "Because my guitars are perfect why would you take them apart??? blah blah blah blah tone blah blah blah". I can't find the post now, so perhaps I dreamed it up.

He did build a guitar out of a chopping board though;

He gets really upset if you take a guitar to a shop instead of sending it to him

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Whyyy does that presumably grown dude have a pic of a much too young Mary Kate & Ashley as his 'contact me' pic...

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

He gets really upset if you take a guitar to a shop instead of sending it to him

I can almost understand that because there are a surprising amount of useless guitar techs out there, but they are usually pretty easy to spot, I was once told "Fenders aren't supposed to sustain, they are supposed to twang so you shouldn't put humbuckers in them because they use the wrong wood" by a tech with 20+ years 'experience' of changing strings and filing nuts.

iostream.h posted:

Whyyy does that presumably grown dude have a pic of a much too young Mary Kate & Ashley as his 'contact me' pic...

That picture has been there for about 7 years too, urgghhhh.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

That strings page is just to surreal, I'm half tempted to go around town to all the music stores asking about the 'ZOG' because, y'know, THAT'S not something that'll raise a few eyebrows at ALL.

Dec 26, 2012

iostream.h posted:

That strings page is just to surreal, I'm half tempted to go around town to all the music stores asking about the 'ZOG' because, y'know, THAT'S not something that'll raise a few eyebrows at ALL.

nah its ok dude they know the score

make sure you tell them all about the Real Active Housing for Optimal Wet Amplification while youre there so they know youre being serious

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

01011001 posted:

make sure you tell them all about the Real Active Housing for Optimal Wet Amplification while youre there so they know youre being serious
I just want you to know I love you so very much for that.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

01011001 posted:

If you say this whilst getting ZOG strings, do you get a free Skrewdriver?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

If you say this whilst getting ZOG strings, do you get a free Skrewdriver?

He's just a misunderstood craftsman trying to make sure We All Rock.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are you allowed to play reggae with ZOG strings?

Dec 26, 2012

i assure you the z committee treats all applicants separately but equally

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mclast posted:

heh info on my old band comes with half my life story, so you gotta ask twice. just, big dumb paragraphs everywhere

the short answer is, i'm not playing out yet (prepping guitar/vox/writing after having been a bassist in previous bands) but i should have a short set together around the time my cybercaster is ready

I'm asking twice, make with the :words:

Also PM me if you need a bass/rhythm guitarist for whatever, I'm flexible and desperate!

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are you allowed to play reggae with ZOG strings?

nein

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Also PM me if you need a bass/rhythm guitarist for whatever, I'm flexible and desperate!
On the off chance that you're even semi-serious, where are you located?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I guess the guy who made that was a legendary kook: http://www.tuba2.com/harvey/timstory.htm

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I was unfortunate enough to see this jerk last weekend when his "instrumetal" group was on a bill with my friends' band. He had no business playing one six string bass, let alone two. Plus his EQ was all boosted mids, so his tone was as thin as he is fat.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

DrChu posted:

I was unfortunate enough to see this jerk last weekend when his "instrumetal" group was on a bill with my friends' band. He had no business playing one six string bass, let alone two. Plus his EQ was all boosted mids, so his tone was as thin as he is fat.

I hope he pinched a nerve in his back from that stupid thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

iostream.h posted:

On the off chance that you're even semi-serious, where are you located?

Boston. I'm really not very good, but I can hold a rhythm and have been working on scales and technique lately, and I really just love playing music, so yes, I'm totally serious. Plus IMO playing music with others is a really good motivator to practice actual skills instead of just playing along to songs at home.

e: Also a couple of my guitars and one of my basses are pretty ugly

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 22, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I Might Be Adam posted:

I hope he pinched a nerve in his back from that stupid thing.

his bass looks dumb as hell too

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrChu posted:

Bill Bailey is doing a US tour?

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

thelightguy posted:

30 second chunks of 3 bars of something passable as music that then devolve into an uncountable number of bars of atonal noodling in a time signature of π/ϕ

It's like Greg Ginn, but he's not doing it on purpose. That's loving abysmal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsp6V2rxcQ

I know it's a youtube video, but why does it sound so high? That tone sets my teeth on edge. Real highlight at 1:40 or so when he makes a 'mistake' and starts over for no good reason.

Edit to add:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6Q_TXm26E

Here's he's playing with magnifying glasses strapped to his face.

Wonder Bread fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 22, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Boston. I'm really not very good, but I can hold a rhythm and have been working on scales and technique lately, and I really just love playing music, so yes, I'm totally serious. Plus IMO playing music with others is a really good motivator to practice actual skills instead of just playing along to songs at home.

e: Also a couple of my guitars and one of my basses are pretty ugly
Hot drat, I'm up there pretty often, if you want, PM me your contact info or whatever and when I zip up there I'll give you a shout!

I should probably clarify that pretty often means 'several times a year' as I love down south.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 22, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

iostream.h posted:

Hot drat, I'm up there pretty often, if you want, PM me your contact info or whatever and when I zip up there I'll give you a shout!

Is your mom posting for you?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Rob Ford posted:

Is your mom posting for you?
Yes, I'm only allowed to read GBS through the word filter for non-logged in users.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

heh alright man, so

i was in The Scatter Gang for about 3 years. it was awesome in some ways, but.. you know that's really where the length of the story is. here's the link, and if any of yall decide to contact the band off that site be sure to say the singer sounds fat, ok? that was recorded in 2011, i'm bass on the first two and guitar on the others

we practiced a lot but not well, played a bunch of bars around boston, started renting a house together and disintegrated pretty fast after that. i don't talk to, even the people i still liked after the initial fallout anymore. don't lend money to friends, kids. i started doing covers at open mic nights within a couple weeks, cause i'd only performed as a bassist before, and since the summer i've been writing a little and hammering my voice into something passable. as of.. maybe a month ago i started writing my own material and i'm starting to figure out what i like

i recorded this tonight, for the thread https://soundcloud.com/alex-oster/the-message-scratchtrack

standard 'it sucks' caveats apply, it's scratchtrack quality with no post whatsoever and the song is only half written, but i'm posting it to show where i'm at - developing a writing style, and with an ok voice with still a lot of bad habits. imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

iostream.h posted:

I should probably clarify that pretty often means 'several times a year' as I love down south.

Yeah man, PM me if you're ever in the area!

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

DrChu posted:

The "wife hates it, help me pay for this stupid bass tour"

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

DrChu posted:

lol wtf is going on there, two fretted six string basses with the same pickups..

jfc WHAT IS THAT

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

mclast posted:

lol wtf is going on there, two fretted six string basses with the same pickups..

jfc WHAT IS THAT

I've been playing the Highlights for Kids game trying to figure out the difference between the two. I mean, there's no way they're EXACTLY the same, right??

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrChu posted:

I would bet this guy lives to quote Monty Python and smells like a neglected catbox.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

I've been playing the Highlights for Kids game trying to figure out the difference between the two. I mean, there's no way they're EXACTLY the same, right??

Looks like the bottom one is fretless with inlaid fret markers.
Top one is fretted with dot inlays.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Wonder Bread posted:

It's like Greg Ginn, but he's not doing it on purpose. That's loving abysmal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDsp6V2rxcQ

I know it's a youtube video, but why does it sound so high? That tone sets my teeth on edge. Real highlight at 1:40 or so when he makes a 'mistake' and starts over for no good reason.

Edit to add:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6Q_TXm26E

Here's he's playing with magnifying glasses strapped to his face.

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

most people do not have taste and merely having an opinion, no matter how bad, puts you in a position to make money. welcome to the music industry, op

• Locked thread