Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the spyder posted:

Well, I had a good friend of mine stop by for a visit and smack some car sense in to me.

In the name of practicality I need to ignore the STI/Evo and keep in mind I'm after a commuter.
1) Must fit four adults and sometimes a car seat.
2) 30mpg+
3) AWD- This is optional, but would be great.
4) Decent sized cargo area

My bank is offering 1.9% on anything 2005 or newer, which removes all the cheap 02' wagons. With that in mind, I started looking at the following:
Subaru Forester XT
Honda Element
Ford Escape/Mercury Hybrid
Audi A3

This puts me closer to $12k and with the extra $$$ I could finally build my 20b block up and get it installed in my 93 R1. I'm ok with sacrificing a fun DD, if it means I get my 20b FD finished sooner. :D

I'm also after something with the same requirements and I'd add the VW GTI to the list. Its nearly the same car as the A3 but seems more affordable on the used market. The Impreza hatch is also worth a look but between the head gasket issues on the NA Subaru's and the fuel economy I'm getting a bit gun shy even though they're great to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm struggling over the idea of buying something used that's just plain boring. Every time I find something I really like, like a 09 Audi A4 Avant wagon, I look at the $24k price tag and go NO. I started to search for 30mpg AWD cars, and there's just not much out there under that. I hate to say, a 08 Ford Escape Hybrid for $11,5k is looking tempting due to the 32mpg (28~ real world), ample space, easy drive, and $200/m payment. I added it up today- my drat 135i was costing me $748/m after payment/insurance/gas! Even if I spend $500/m total on the Escape, I'm still saving $250/m I can use towards savings, travel, or car projects.

I hate to say it, but if I'm any bit responsible, I should stay around 10k.

This has given me a great excuse to make the list of cars that I would love to own for a year:
Subaru WRX STI
Cadillac CTS-V
Evo X
C63 AMG
RS4
09+ M3

Now I'm just depressing myself...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 20, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know you'll be unhappy if you buy something boring even if you're being practical.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
A 2004 Forester XT however isnt boring and is a dead easy (and cheap) thing to wind the wick up on. They are hilariously fast for a mommy mobile and a pretty good thing to punt around at the same time even if you keep it in stock form.

Oh and it sure is practical too. Tows well. It can if you light foot it go 9litres per 100km. Just that if you decide to, it will LAUNCH and you can have a poo poo eating grin at the surprised person in the other car. I doubt you will hear a bad thing said about the 04 by previous owers, they really are a good thing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So I started drooling over a B8 A4 Avant Quattro wagon last night...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4287936571.html

parid
Mar 18, 2004
You might be too harsh on the boring car. When I made my big car moves last year (sold the FD, started commuting in the volt instead of the WRX) I was surprised at how little I missed it. Cruising on the freeway or in traffic is a terrible way to appreciate a car. Get a boring car. It will be cheap, comfortable, and reliable. Put your money into the FDs. It will make driving them all that much more special.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Friend of mine has an 08 AWD Mariner which is basically the same thing as an escape and he seems to like it a lot v:shobon:v

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
1/2 wants fun, like the 2012 Audi A4 Avant S-Line wagon I found down in Cali.
1/2 wants this and would be perfectly fine daily driving it: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4290721413.html

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 21, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Never an accident but both bumpers don't match and the rear one is aligned weird on the right side. Hm.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
"Clean title, never has any accident, well take care"

That should tell me everything I need to know about the PO/Seller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ask for a VIN, see if any accidents show up on CF or AC. If they do see what he says to that.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I don't know, based on your not wanting to get the 1 dirty and wanting something that you can get dirty and be ok with it being a commuter an Audi doesn't seem like the best idea. Despite not really being into the Hybrid stuff I think the Escape might be the better bet. Besides, if you don't already have an SUV or truck the utility will make it more worthwhile.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you research those hybrids? IIRC the transmissions in them are poo poo. Might as well just get a prius and throw a roof rack/cargo box on it if you need the extra space. Might as well go full boring and reap the mpg benefits :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Jetta TDI Sportwagen?

Although those are probably way too expensive, now that I think about it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Why not a mazda 3 hatch? It's not AWD, but it fits all the other criteria and they are at least engaging to drive for a regular car

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
why are you so set on AWD for your practical car?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I don't know, based on your not wanting to get the 1 dirty and wanting something that you can get dirty and be ok with it being a commuter an Audi doesn't seem like the best idea. Despite not really being into the Hybrid stuff I think the Escape might be the better bet. Besides, if you don't already have an SUV or truck the utility will make it more worthwhile.

There's something nice about a dirty vw/audi though (and the quattro/4motion handles dirt, gravel, and even solid ice really well)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Let me clarify a few things:

1) We have a F150 4x4 truck (that also will be replaced- 310k original everything) and my wife drives a Mini Cooper S
2) AWD is not necessary for my commute in any way- but I would like it to head to the mountains/eastern oregon/the coast during the winter.
3) I've owned a Mazda3 hatch and have been keeping my eye out for one, but nothing's caught my eye.

My mom has a 08 Escape Hybrid with no problems and 150k. I'm planning on buying a 01-03 F2/350 7.3 Turbo Diesel 2wd to replace the truck, because it's mainly a tow rig. It seems to make
sense to get a AWD vehicle, but the issue there is, something like the Escape is not a very good AWD vehicle. I don't mind getting something dirty- as long as I plan to keep it. I never planned on keeping the
135i for very long. Part of this is, I don't want to have to by another "family" car for 5~6 years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Having gotten stuck on flat ground with my Ram 2500 van (even with a fuckton of stuff in the back for a long trip) because of a couple inches of snow, I strongly recommend either getting that pickup in 4x4 or at least with a limited slip rear.

That sucked, I had to quite literally unload the offroad toy off the tow dolly, use it to unstick the tow rig, drive them both to the street where I could reload everything, then reload them. After replacing the axleshaft that I exploded while getting the tow rig unstuck, that is.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That brings up another option:

Buy a 2wd, high MPG commuter car and wait for the truck to die/replacing it with a 4wd diesel. My single complain is I can't park a F2/350 where I work without paying for street parking. Our F150 barely fits in the parking garage as-is.

I miss my 135i, but I'm looking forward to something larger. Who knows what I will end up with, I certainly can't decide one way or the other right now. (That might be the headcold I've had for the last week though.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the spyder posted:

That brings up another option:

Buy a 2wd, high MPG commuter car and wait for the truck to die/replacing it with a 4wd diesel. My single complain is I can't park a F2/350 where I work without paying for street parking. Our F150 barely fits in the parking garage as-is.

If you're doing mostly highway miles the Nissan maxima can't be beat for a cheap beater sedan. They go really cheap around here.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife has been looking at Volvos with the T5 engine, seems like they strike a good fun/practicality balance. She also likes the Nissan Juke and will probably buy an AWD turbo model for like $15,000.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm stuck 20 miles each way going an average of 40mph on a "express" way type road. Speeds go from 55 to 30 depending what city I pass through.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not new car related: Paperwork for the lifts went through. I'm bloody excited!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I think given how many vehicles you already have you should either:
a. Say gently caress practicality and get the STI/Evo
b. Get a pure, but fun form of a good mpg vehicle like a fit/versa/xa/fiat 500

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a fun form of the Versa?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think given how many vehicles you already have you should either:
a. Say gently caress practicality and get the STI/Evo
b. Get a pure, but fun form of a good mpg vehicle like a fit/versa/xa/fiat 500

B is where I'm thinking myself; once I get my truck running I hope it satisfies my need to go fast in something that shouldn't go that fast, and that I'd be more willing to deal with a regular 500 / Fiesta 3cyl or something like that.

Maybe.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

There's a fun form of the Versa?

Fiat :barf:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I miss my 135i, but I'm looking forward to something larger. Who knows what I will end up with, I certainly can't decide one way or the other right now. (That might be the headcold I've had for the last week though.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I like my Sonic hatchback, it might be worth having a look. The little turbo engine is decent and being a turbo engine you can always get more power pretty easily if you want it.

32mpg driving like an rear end in a top hat (in winter), too.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Split the difference and get an 06-07 wrx or forester XT.

It'll have some balls, be reliable, and not murder MPG-wise, but not 30 large like an STi or Evo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Those subarus get poo poo mileage for what you get IMO. You can almost get the same MPG in a first gen CTS-V.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

For a moment I thought that was a

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

Jetta TDI Sportwagen?

Although those are probably way too expensive, now that I think about it.

I was thinking the same thing. Basically the same car as a A3 without the awd and audi tax, but in the PNW(portland area is pretty similar car market as seattle from what ive seen) the JSW tdi do not really show up on the used market for decent prices, unless they have insane miles on them. For being the "boring" commuter car, it is pretty drat entertaining to drive even without the manual.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I keep looking at TDI's- A3/Sportswagons. There's a ton on CL right now. I'm also tossing the idea of a older A4 wagon around still in my head.

These have me decently interested,
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4289603530.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4294733473.html

I'm going to do the sane thing and walk away from car buying for a good week or two- I'm just fine driving our truck or the white FD until I figure out what I want.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
Does your part of the world have newer Saab's?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I finally have working garage doors!

parid
Mar 18, 2004
New garage? FD owner? You bet there's cardboard under them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I haven't had the chance to seal the floor yet :(. The white one, despite being resealed twice is still leaking and it's time for a new pan. The black one split the oil return on the turbo. Gotta love FD's....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Stupid car find of the day: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/4299809064.html
Two problems: 1) KBB says it's worth $8-9k... which I would pay happily. 2) No idea on service records.