Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of dramatic manga about food. So naturally I love Oishinbo and Drops of God.

ETA: I even once got to draw an Oishinbo reference into a Simpsons comic.

How's that for an unexpected crossover? Credit goes to the writer though.

I'm always up for art with a Tezuka/Ishinomori bent. Where can I find this comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

StevenM posted:

I'm always up for art with a Tezuka/Ishinomori bent. Where can I find this comic?

Simpsons Super Spectacular #16. It's an old issue so you'll have to look around for it, but I think it's also available digitally at Comixology.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

The next challenge (#173) is "Oishinbo Ultimate Menu: Three Bout Contest" on the Famicom. (美味しんぼ 究極のメニュー三本勝負). zari-gani wins!

Some gameplay footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0cASXGyXI

Holy poo poo, Pictures at an Exhibition.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

As a slight classical music aside, does anyone know why Japanese seem so infatuated with Polovtsian Dances by Alexander Borodin? It is a good piece of music, sure, but I've heard it featured in many Japanese video games, animes and dramas and such.

(The part most heavily featured starts in 0:50)

Sorry if this came a bit off the wall, hearing 8-bit Musorgsky just gave me the association.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, there's no way that Japanese media is that obsessed with Prince Ig---

Wikipedia posted:

Different adaptations of No. 17 "Gliding Dance of the Maidens" have been featured as background music in several Japanese animated TV series, including Princess Tutu, Noir, and Kare Kano, while it is given a special significance in RahXephon. The track "The Garden of Everything" on the top 10 Maaya Sakamoto single "Tune the Rainbow" uses it as a sub-melody.
An arranged version of the song was created and used as the opening theme to the PlayStation 2 video game, The Sword of Etheria. The vocals are performed by Martha Matsuda. This arrangement was adapted for 'Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2.'
An arranged version of the song was used as one of the themes for the puzzle stages in the PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 video game, Catherine.
The opening theme of the 2012 Japanese anime series "Appleseed XIII" is an adaptation of the original melody.

:stare:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chronomaster posted:

Dreams of the first appearance of a primarily analog controlled game, shattered. Down there with my hopes of Arino playing a PC game through.

(Not counting anything that uses a mouse or a custom controller)

He did both Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I'm going to stop seeding the Nyaa torrents for now, I've uploaded the files for each season around 50-100 times so I'm going to give my server a break.

If anyone needs a reseed or something for some odd reason PM me I still have all the files.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Kibe's first book is coming out soon. Genre: fiction. It's called "But I Wanted a Famicom."

(The red part is the book sash)

Rough translation of the Amazon summary:

Masamichi is a grade school student who lives in an apartment. His classmates are talking about Famicom again... "I want a Famicom, too," he thinks. But he can't bring it up to his mother. One day, his mother secretly gets him a game console of his own, except...

"But I wanted a Famicom!"

A Showa-period story about an unpopular boy and his video games, sparked by his mother's mistake. Loneliness and friendship at school. His very first fleeting love. The laughter and tears of a mother who cares for her son. Will Masamichi be able to get a Famicom?

Arino's comment (on the sash):
"Nobody dies, it doesn't get you excited, and there's no adventure. It's just a story that tickles my heart, as I grew up with similar circumstances. It hits me to my core! A fun read, but...simple!"

Knowing Kibe grew up with Sega, I can't help but think this story is more of an autobiography...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Arino's comment (on the sash):
"Nobody dies, it doesn't get you excited, and there's no adventure. It's just a story that tickles my heart, as I grew up with similar circumstances. It hits me to my core! A fun read, but...simple!"

"It's OK to say this, because this isn't a book review program."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Knowing Kibe grew up with Sega, I can't help but think this story is more of an autobiography...

Since he pretty much told that exact story about himself on the air, I think it's safe to say he wrote what he knew.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm a horrible person because all I see is the white outline around Arino's hair and wish they did a better job of cutting him out of the image they took him from.

I think this is what it's like to be dead inside.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Thats supposed to be his angelic glow.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Aurain posted:

I'm a horrible person because all I see is the white outline around Arino's hair and wish they did a better job of cutting him out of the image they took him from.

I think this is what it's like to be dead inside.

It looks like there is a thin white border around all of him, so it's probably a stylistic choice rather than a lovely photoshop. It does indeed look like a lovely photoshop though.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

To say nothing of the dozens of times he says "I" in place of the protagonist's name.

The menus for the GCCX x NonCon Kids cafe is online.
http://www.parco-art.com/web/other/exhibition.php?id=620

■ Cameraman Abe's Ramen Pizza  980 yen.
A pizza invented by the number one cameraman/chef in Japan.
It's loaded with beloved ramen noodles、and boasts a great texture and makes for a hearty meal.
The staff has eaten it during recordings, and they loved it.
Abe may be waiting at the cafe sometime, so come-by and eat it!

■ Director Watanabe's Pork Cutlet on Fried Rice with Worcestershire Sauce 1,080 yen.
A rice bowl thought up-by Black Kirby, aka Yuko Watanabe。
Carbohydrates are the lifeline for the woman who values quantity over all else.
Even she's done eating her beloved pork cutlet, there's fried rice! It's a menu item that's like a treasure hunt!
By the way, she's on a diet all year every year, but she has yet to succeed once.

■ Chief Arino's Yodogawa River Juice 600 yen
A dark green juice thought up by Chief Arino.
It looks like the kind of drink an elementary student would make at a soda fountain as a third refill. The flavour is exceptional
The Yodogawa River runs through Chief Arino's hometown, Osaka...but these day's it's much cleaner, so don't worry.

■ Croquette Sandwich  680 yen
■ "That" thing that eats like "Pac-Pac" 680 yen
■ Is the moai attacking?  680 yen
■ Slime combination platter 580 yen
■ Demolished with one hit!16t!!  580 yen

<Original Drinks>
■ Mighty Guy
■ Bubbles and Mazes and Music and...
■ Legendary Mystery of Atlantis
■ Glittering Jewel
■ Special Flag
■ Red-hot Fire Dance
The above are available with and without alcohol
Non-alcohol 600 yen/With alcohol 700 yen

■ Cream Soda  700 yen
★ Draught Beer  600 yen
★ Soft drinks  500 yen

All the original drink names are references to certain games or things from games, but there's no surprise there.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 18, 2014

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Kakaricho posted:

The menus for the GCCX x NonCon Kids cafe is online.
http://www.parco-art.com/web/other/exhibition.php?id=620

Are you going to go? Need a trip report!

There's going to be some special events, too.

Jan 31 (Wed): 11 am-1 pm: D Watanabe and AD Matsui on staff
Feb 02 (Sun): 11 am-1 pm: Cameraman Abe on staff
Feb 09 (Sun): 3 pm-5 pm: Kibe the novelist talks about gaming in the 80's (interviewer: Kan)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 18, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Are you going to go? Need a trip report!

I'd love to, but I doubt I'll be in Tokyo before it closes. Maybe someone else here who's closer can go and get some pics?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'll see if I can't swing by sometime.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'll try to go by at some point too but unfortunately those two weeks might be a bit difficult due to work.

EDIT: I just tried to access the booking page and it's being overloaded so maybe I won't get the chance after all. :/

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Random Stranger posted:

Since he pretty much told that exact story about himself on the air, I think it's safe to say he wrote what he knew.

Kibe and I had very similar childhoods, it seems. Unlike him, though, I never got past my hatred for the Master System.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm from one of those countries where the master system was the poo poo. kibe my brotha :frogc00l:

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Oh man, I would totally go for Abe's ramen pizza. Ever since my wife introduced me to Japanese potato salad on pizza, I've been craving the crazier pizzas they have available over there.

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm from one of those countries where the master system was the poo poo. kibe my brotha :frogc00l:

Master System ruled. The NES doesn't even have Snail Maze built in! What a piece of poo poo!

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Master System ruled. The NES doesn't even have Snail Maze built in! What a piece of poo poo!

I love Kibe, I say that with all intent and I'll fight anyone who disagrees with me. :colbert:

Sega... :negative:

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Vlaphor posted:

He did both Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time

Somehow I completely forgot to count the N64. The PC one still stands though (unless I didn't read the episode guide right) and unless the whole deal with Konami was fixed we might never see a reason for Arino to break out the MSX.

At least if I remember correctly it was Konami that the GCCX team had issues with. Given I forgot that one of the core features of the N64 was an analog controller I'm probably misremembering this one too.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Chronomaster posted:

Unless the whole deal with Konami was fixed we might never see a reason for Arino to break out the MSX.
Tokimeki Memorial is on DVD-box 10, so I guess they're friends again?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Sega is still awesome... Just not as awesome as they were before. Sonic All-Stars Transformed is the best kart racing game in existence. Just give us Virtual On!!! :negative:

Apollove
May 31, 2013
What is everyone's favorite gamecenter cx moment. It can be anything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kii-be~

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
One of my personal favorites is the moment in part 1 of Battletoads where Arino gets bored of waiting for a snake to show up and pretends to make Rash go "hey hey hey heyyy!" ...It's a bit simple, but I laugh every time.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
When he tricked the entire room with the Sonic the Hedgehog demo section.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I always think of Arino's response to the fighting peoples after finishing area 2 of Actraiser.

*divine lightning strikes, killing dozens* "Fightin's gone" in a super nonchalant, inattentive way.

Probably wasn't intended to be funny so much as a rather direct solution to the problem, but goddamn if I didn't laugh :v:

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Personally my favorite moment is in Megaman 3 when he accidentally chooses stage select on Wily Stage 4 and has to go all the way back to stage 1

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Apollove posted:

I haven't watched it in forever until earlier today, but the entire segment of "Abe going to Nakayama's house at night to cook him dinner and drink his beer" from the 24 hour challenge segment/skit video SAGCCX released a long time ago made me laugh harder than I originally expected. I would kill to see Abe host an actual cooking show, because the noodle dish he made for Nakayama actually looked awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apollove posted:

"Wash your face and try again."

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
This is my favorite moment in GCCX:

edit: Nakayama is my favorite AD. :allears:

2nd edit: Lucky you! I just had it open looking for that last one.

vvvvvv

jyrque fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 22, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Does someone have that screenshot where he's talking about time running out, and how it's a scary concept when applied to real life, and then he laughs.

That one owns.

edit: Good looking out.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wait, I change my answer to the first Shocking MAX, when Inoue talks about "the screams... of a dying man".

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

leather fedora posted:

I'll see if I can't swing by sometime.
The tickets for the event on February 9th (Kan talks with Kibe about retro games) have already sold out, so you may want to reserve some for the other staff events soon.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Apollove posted:

The dramatic flashback to about 30 seconds previous in Wagan Land to create tension before Arino does about as well as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Apollove posted:

Being Tsuruoka's biggest (and only) fan, my favorite moment is the duet in 53 Stations of the Tokaido. Second place goes to the bone bridge in Bonk's Adventure.