Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

CapitanAmerica posted:

loving got new ram for my computer today was SOOO loving happy i've been stuck with 4gbs for over a year. So I go to install the ram, slide it into the second slot. Press the start button. Computer starts beeping loudly. I make sure it's own right, try again. Computer BEEPS LOUDLY. So I take it out and put my original stick of ram in the second slot and my new stick in the first one. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Remove the new ram completely. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Put the new ram back in the first slot, remove the original from the second slot. Computer starts up.

gently caress. You. Motherboard.

I had a server today that has been rebooting itself at random intervals for the last two weeks. FNG was responsible for looking into it and latched on to my suggestion that he check out McAfee as gospel and never bothered to investigate further or even continue monitoring. Cue the shocked expression when I asked him why the server was down after he said it was fixed.

So I walk to the server farm and open up the KVM and see the server froze in the middle of the POST process. I grumpily press the power button to reboot the server, but lo and behold the motherfucker dies right then and there and won't even POST. Well, at least I figured out what the problem was. Fortunately we had a matching server in the storeroom and I was able to swap it for the dead unit and get it running. Now I need to configure it for use, since my efforts at pawning that process off on the FNG and providing minimal oversight were shot down by my team lead.

"I don't think he's ready for that."
"Neither was I the first time, but that didn't stop you from dumping it on me anyways."
"That was different."

I wisely kept quiet and went back to my desk to get ready to leave for the day. Tomorrow is going to be so much fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

americanzero4128 posted:

Today I'm hating on Java. After pushing version 7 update 51 to our server department, the guys that are monitoring SiteScope all of the sudden can't view any of the alerts, and if they try to log in, it just errs out. Ok, I tell them for the short term to change the security level on the Configure Java to medium until they can check if SiteScope came out with an update for this, since they've never had to adjust that before. The other program it broke was Screenr. Again, adding the website to the Exception site list in Java isn't hard, but that wasn't needed before. Why now? On the 15th, Screenr says their engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No update since then.

gently caress you Java.

:stonk: Why do you have Java installed on servers? Or am I misunderstanding something?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CapitanAmerica posted:

loving got new ram for my computer today was SOOO loving happy i've been stuck with 4gbs for over a year. So I go to install the ram, slide it into the second slot. Press the start button. Computer starts beeping loudly. I make sure it's own right, try again. Computer BEEPS LOUDLY. So I take it out and put my original stick of ram in the second slot and my new stick in the first one. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Remove the new ram completely. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Put the new ram back in the first slot, remove the original from the second slot. Computer starts up.

gently caress. You. Motherboard.

It is recommended that you pair the RAM and some motherboards will force you to pair the RAM so it has to be the same model in the slots. Also if you have 2 different speeds most motherboards will bitch and you have to stick to one speed. If you have a fancy motherboard it will under clock the faster one, but why the gently caress did you buy fast RAM if you are just going to run it slower.

Always buy enough RAM to fit what you want, don't expect to be able to re-use the old stuff, it rarely works out, unless its a laptop.

edit: Also if you have a 32bit OS you can only use 4GB you may have to reinstall windows if the computer shipped with only 4gigs. There is no difference in price between 32 and 64 bit Windows 7, but I've found most manufactures only put 64bit on a system if it "needs" it, even then, I've seen a system ship with 8GB and have win7 32bit.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 22, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Potato Alley posted:

:stonk: Why do you have Java installed on servers? Or am I misunderstanding something?

It's the client.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

pixaal posted:

It is recommended that you pair the RAM and some motherboards will force you to pair the RAM so it has to be the same model in the slots. Also if you have 2 different speeds most motherboards will bitch and you have to stick to one speed. If you have a fancy motherboard it will under clock the faster one, but why the gently caress did you buy fast RAM if you are just going to run it slower.

Always buy enough RAM to fit what you want, don't expect to be able to re-use the old stuff, it rarely works out, unless its a laptop.

edit: Also if you have a 32bit OS you can only use 4GB you may have to reinstall windows if the computer shipped with only 4gigs. There is no difference in price between 32 and 64 bit Windows 7, but I've found most manufactures only put 64bit on a system if it "needs" it, even then, I've seen a system ship with 8GB and have win7 32bit.

Am I reading a post from 2003? Most of these things have been non-issues since the first days of dual channel on A3200+es, RAMBUS, and Granite Bay P4s. Timing doesn't even need to match these days, and you don't need matched pairs.

Also, the 4GB limit is vastly overblown. PAE exists, and while direct memory mapping for video cards and PCI devices happens under the 4gb barrier, and you can't use 64 bit binaries to allocate more than 3/4gb per process (depending on the OS and the heap size), people happily had 12gb SQL servers on 32 bit chipsets. 4gb is not a hard limit.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2014

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Non-IT related but Yoplait yogurt is the thing that pisses me off.

Like that doorknob that shocks Peter Gibbons every morning when he comes in to work, peeling back the foil lid of a Yoplait container and having it spit out a few drops of yogurt onto my sleeve or pants every morning seems to be another tiny indignity I must face each morning.

Seriously, Yoplait. Is there some reason you have to package your yogurt slightly over-pressurized? I try to remember to peel off the lid starting with the far side so that the spitting of yogurt is pointed away from me, but what about the times when I'm engrossed in an email (or browsing these forums) and unthinkingly grab a yogurt from my lunch box? *spit* Right across my hand, shirt cuff and pants.

Edit: ...and apparently I am not alone in this thinking.

Any reason you can't use a pin/thumb tack to pierce the lid before you open it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It also broke your Cisco ASDM console and most HP switch consoles. Hooray!

R45 is still out there for download. I say roll it back until vendors update their poo poo.

Things pissing me off: Java applications that only run on Windows. gently caress you Cisco.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mllaneza posted:

R45 is still out there for download. I say roll it back until vendors update their poo poo.

Things pissing me off: Java applications that only run on Windows. gently caress you Cisco.

Another mission-critical app requires R51, so I have R45 on a VM and R51 on a workstation.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

Yogurt talk
The Fage package pisses me off. It has that little fruit section that you fold over the yogurt section. The problem is that it never completely empties out, then you have to scrape the rest of the fruit. But your spoon is too big to get to the bottom, and I wind up feeling gipped.

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski

pixaal posted:

No it won't run even with one piece of ram in the slot

the second ram slot on my motherboard is hosed

permanently.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tomapot posted:

But your spoon is too big to get to the bottom, and I wind up feeling gipped.

This is a common problem.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

This is a common problem.

I take issue with you implying that Hertzfeldt and "common" are at all related.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Look at all these chumps not eating the Dannon Light & Fit 6oz 4 pack.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Another mission-critical app requires R51, so I have R45 on a VM and R51 on a workstation.

Most R51 issues can be solved by going into the "Configure Java" start menu item (that I didn't even know existed before), and click the entirely new button under Security: "Edit Site List..."

At least even the worst Java application I touch work "OK" if I add all the URLs to that list.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dorkanoid posted:

Most R51 issues can be solved by going into the "Configure Java" start menu item (that I didn't even know existed before), and click the entirely new button under Security: "Edit Site List..."

At least even the worst Java application I touch work "OK" if I add all the URLs to that list.
It's in the changelog, but 7u51 blocks unsigned and self-signed applets on the High security setting.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

anthonypants posted:

It's in the changelog, but 7u51 blocks unsigned and self-signed applets on the High security setting.

Yeah, it sucks :( We use Check Point Connectra for our VPN (not my choice) which at the moment requires being added to the site list, and invokes two "allow/block" prompts.

I've started using a Linux VM and the command line version of the Connectra SNX software just so I can avoid that...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FISHMANPET posted:

Look at all these chumps not eating the Dannon Light & Fit 6oz 4 pack.

I met someone who claimed that a Mac Mini ran at the perfect temperature to cultivate yoghurt in a tub on top of it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

spog posted:

I met someone who claimed that a Mac Mini ran at the perfect temperature to cultivate yoghurt in a tub on top of it.

This person needs to be beaten severely with their own iPhone.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dorkanoid posted:

Yeah, it sucks :( We use Check Point Connectra for our VPN (not my choice) which at the moment requires being added to the site list, and invokes two "allow/block" prompts.

I've started using a Linux VM and the command line version of the Connectra SNX software just so I can avoid that...

Oh God, we use Connectra and I haven't even thought to try using it since the update. It already had like 4 prompts between Windows 7 and Java, before this update.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evol262 posted:

Am I reading a post from 2003? Most of these things have been non-issues since the first days of dual channel on A3200+es, RAMBUS, and Granite Bay P4s. Timing doesn't even need to match these days, and you don't need matched pairs.

Also, the 4GB limit is vastly overblown. PAE exists, and while direct memory mapping for video cards and PCI devices happens under the 4gb barrier, and you can't use 64 bit binaries to allocate more than 3/4gb per process (depending on the OS and the heap size), people happily had 12gb SQL servers on 32 bit chipsets. 4gb is not a hard limit.

On consumer versions of 32-bit Windows, even though PAE is enabled, it still won't let you address above 4GiB. So for most people, that is a hard limit.

I know someone who has a Socket 775 motherboard with a Core 2 Quad in it (Gigabyte board) that only supports 4GiB RAM, no matter what the stick configuration.

We have fairly new machines (Socket 1155, Ivy Bridge i3) that simply do not boot with RAM that should be compatible, and only likes certain RAM.

My own motherboard (Z68) was running OK at DDR3-1600, but when I added another 8GiB of identical model and brand RAM, I would get occasional BSODs, and errors in memory testing, until I lowered it to DDR3-1333, since then I have had no issues. I did notice the new RAM has slightly worse information when viewing the SPD data, but you'd think they'd be the same.

Even when building a new Z77 machine (a little while back now), I had two identical sticks of RAM, and one would cause problems, then the other on its own, sometimes it would boot with both, now it's running fine for a long time on one (one that originally gave issues).

So in my experience, RAM can still be a real rear end.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 22, 2014

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

less than three posted:

Oh God, we use Connectra and I haven't even thought to try using it since the update. It already had like 4 prompts between Windows 7 and Java, before this update.

It works, but I prefer running it in my Linux VM - download the snx_installer.sh, run, apt-get a bunch of packages since snx is 32bit, and I use 64 bit linux, and after that I can run snx from the command line to connect, no java necessary.

I really wish it was possible to invoke the SNX that's installed on my Windows computer the same way, without having to visit the web page :( ...or maybe that is possible somehow already?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My rooms manager can go gently caress himself. Its perfectly ok for him to sit around and talk about battlefield four when he wants but when i'm actually talking about work he's been telling me to shut up and get back to work lately.

Yes sir, sorry sir, i'll just work on this without finding out what the previous techie did sir, that'll totally help and we won't step over eachother sir.

gently caress you. You're not even my real manager!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Zendesk for some reason is randomly refusing to update tickets from the web ui. Here comes a bollocking for leaving tickets sitting in queues for days longer than they needed to be :S

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HalloKitty posted:

On consumer versions of 32-bit Windows, even though PAE is enabled, it still won't let you address above 4GiB. So for most people, that is a hard limit.
While true (either due to idiotic licensing policies or driver problems, depending which side you believe), memory above 4GB is still remappable by PAE-aware drivers, so your 2GB video card hopefully isn't eating space out of your 4GB of addressable memory (and can't be on Win8, since PAE is required to boot, since NX is required to boot), though I automatically assume that any system which has >4GB is running 64 bit anyway, and if it's running 32 bit, it's a server version, which is sort of where the comment was aimed at when I refuted the idea of 4GB being a hard limit. But point taken.

HalloKitty posted:

I know someone who has a Socket 775 motherboard with a Core 2 Quad in it (Gigabyte board) that only supports 4GiB RAM, no matter what the stick configuration.

We have fairly new machines (Socket 1155, Ivy Bridge i3) that simply do not boot with RAM that should be compatible, and only likes certain RAM.
These tend to be voltage problems from some vendor putting the wrong chips on a DIMM.

HalloKitty posted:

My own motherboard (Z68) was running OK at DDR3-1600, but when I added another 8GiB of identical model and brand RAM, I would get occasional BSODs, and errors in memory testing, until I lowered it to DDR3-1333, since then I have had no issues. I did notice the new RAM has slightly worse information when viewing the SPD data, but you'd think they'd be the same.
Hard to blame it when Z68 wants DDR3-1333 anyway; running memory at a higher speed has always been iffy, especially when the batches aren't the same.

HalloKitty posted:

Even when building a new Z77 machine (a little while back now), I had two identical sticks of RAM, and one would cause problems, then the other on its own, sometimes it would boot with both, now it's running fine for a long time on one (one that originally gave issues).

So in my experience, RAM can still be a real rear end.

The point here is that memory is cheap, I guess. Have identical sticks of memory and one is problematic? It might be bad. But it's probably not worth your time to memtest it, and you should just buy a new one.

But even though "RAM can still be a real rear end", systems should still post with unmatched pairs, and at default speeds/voltages, you won't have memory problems. There's a big grey zone of stuff that can happen, and I don't want to be the should guy, but the takeaway should be that it's safe to buy more memory in whatever configuration you want these days as long as you're running at stock chipset speeds (3 different DIMMs from 3 different vendors, one at a time, whatever) instead of buying matched pairs and only installing them in paired channels, and...

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hating this week: Stupid rear end requirements from customers

At my current job I am part of a team that works on a very well known web app as a contractor. We had been pitching upgrading the version of jsf we were using from 1.2 to 2.x. We finally got an OK, but with a caveat: we had to use the version of jsf that was already on the server, which is websphere 8.5 and contains myfaces 2.0.2. For reference myfaces is currently at 2.2, and the 2.0 version ended at 2.0.19. This has 2 effects: we are having to work with an ancient, buggy version of the library with known security exploits and which also limits what versions of other related libraries we can use to also be buggy early versions with security exploits.

Dealing with all this stuff and the lack of features that are present in the current versions that would make our lives easier is pretty much pissing all of us off. Our only hope is that we are going to require the customer sign off on the fact they are making us use libraries with known security flaws, which we know will make them squirm a bit because they are usually pretty big on security.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The director who gets here during a merger and says,

:downs::I need to get into Exchange...
:confused::Exchange?
:downs::Yes, Exchange has a number I need to get.
:confused::Uhhh, I don't have access to your Exchange server.
:downs::HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE ACCESS, IT'S BEEN WEEKS.
:confused::No one has given me admin access to it, I have no reason to have it.
:downs::No, just take me to your computer.

On the walk, I figure out that he means the OUTLOOK ADDRESS BOOK has a number in it. Look man, you say EXCHANGE to me, I think 'Exchange Management Console' not loving Outlook.

This entire new company is big on explaining things poorly/incorrectly and then when someone asks for more info or clarification, just saying the same again louder with a pissier tone.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

As frustrating as Java is, they seem to be listening. Now you no longer must click on the actual check box to disable the Ask toolbar installation, you can click on the verbiage next to it, the way most installers work.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Oddhair posted:

As frustrating as Java is, they seem to be listening. Now you no longer must click on the actual check box to disable the Ask toolbar installation, you can click on the verbiage next to it, the way most installers work.

Baby steps I guess!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the option to turn off the update check actually work yet or do you still have to launch the Java control panel as an administrator before the setting is stored?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
My spidey-sense for sales people grows stronger by the day...

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Daylen Drazzi posted:

"I don't think he's ready for that."
"Neither was I the first time, but that didn't stop you from dumping it on me anyways."
"That was different."

I wisely kept quiet and went back to my desk to get ready to leave for the day. Tomorrow is going to be so much fun!

I think the implication is that, unlike FNG, you can actually use your head and properly troubleshoot/fix things. Take it as a compliment.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

evol262 posted:

I've still got a few legacy systems kicking around with this kind of config and god drat are they an annoying mess. Even with "enterprise-grade" hardware and drivers, this poo poo is fragile. "Happily" does not at all describe these configs and I don't want to imagine trying to run something like that on a consumer desktop where you don't have duplicate hardware to pre-test any driver changes to figure out which one has the slow kernel mem leak that only matters when PAE is on.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

keseph posted:

I've still got a few legacy systems kicking around with this kind of config and god drat are they an annoying mess. Even with "enterprise-grade" hardware and drivers, this poo poo is fragile. "Happily" does not at all describe these configs and I don't want to imagine trying to run something like that on a consumer desktop where you don't have duplicate hardware to pre-test any driver changes to figure out which one has the slow kernel mem leak that only matters when PAE is on.

This is exactly why you:

Run Linux/BSD/Solaris

Or:
Only run WHQL drivers (which have at least minimal testing with PAE)

Or you:
Get a working config and don't update the goddamn drivers unless there's a critical bug, which is the path most enterprises took on Win2k Advanced.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Thing pissing me off right now: The cost of Cisco licensing borders on criminal. Yet we will purchase it anyway. I suspect we are paying more in license fees at this point than in hardware.

Yes, I'm new to this side of the fence.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yes welcome to business computing, where the license fees are astronomical and the hardware doesn't matter.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Varkk posted:

Yes welcome to business computing, where the license fees are astronomical and the hardware doesn't matter.

Ive been around the application side for a while and I get things are expensive (oh the joys we had licensing oracle in our vm farm). Its just the ratio of hardware to licensing cost that amazes me. You already own the equipment which is capable of doing a thing, yet for it to actually do that thing you have to pay out the nose.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wait until you see per-port licensing on FC switches. All the hardware is already there, but you need the feature licences to turn them on.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
^^^ This. loving gyp.

frogbert posted:

Any reason you can't use a pin/thumb tack to pierce the lid before you open it?

You know what?

None. None at all, actually.

Except the absence of the pin/thumb tack, though.

Varkk posted:

I had a VP of IT once who absolutely got it. He always said that hardware is the cheap part- it's the support and licensing and monitoring and all that poo poo that gets expensive.

Although he was a complete rear end in a top hat power-monger, sometimes it was awesome to work for him. Like the time we were setting up an IVR system in house and the vendor was saying that our app was running slow because we only had four servers running VCS. After two weeks of back and forth, the IT VP said fuckit and had us purchase sixteen more servers and stand them up. The IBM VAR got them to us ASAP and we stood them up over the weekend, so when Monday morning rolled in the Genesys rep continued his schtick about it being insufficient hardware and we showed him the twenty VCS servers running at idle.

The look on the rep's face was absolutely goddamn worth working all weekend to get the servers up and running.

(of course we had to reconfigure all of those servers after we pared down the number of VCS boxes to 8 and deployed the twelve extra servers to other parts of the IVR, but it was still worth it.)

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Caged posted:

Wait until you see per-port licensing on FC switches. All the hardware is already there, but you need the feature licences to turn them on.

I had that happen when I was working on some satellite receivers at my old job. They were HD receivers that had a disabled port on the back for composite video. Called Ericsson to see how much the license was, found out it was $1500. We could have bought four converters for that price that would have done more.

A couple months ago I got a new job at the county admin building working for the local government tv station. They want to upgrade everything to digital now and eventually hd since most of the equipment is 15 years old and is starting to die.

So I work up an equipment list with specs for the upgrade and give it to one of the people in purchasing. She asks for some more details and the equipment list goes out again, this time to the person that I thought was going to be putting the bid package together. I get nothing back from her. Talk to my original contact and she says that I'm good and that they should have everything.

Yesterday, I'm over in the purchasing department for another reason and I swing by the persons desk who was supposed to be working on this. I ask about the progress and I get a deer in the headlights look from her. She has no idea what I'm talking about and says she will look into it. I get back to my desk and yep, shes the one I emailed. But she is a older lady and maybe it just slipped her mind.

Then I get an email from my boss inviting me to a meeting to discuss the upgrade progress on Thursday. I look at the invitees, my boss, his boss, head of purchasing, the buyer, and the person that was supposed to be putting this together. There's no way this is going to go well for me. Adding to my nervousness is the fact that I'm still on probation and we have a department performance evaluation meeting on Friday with the assistant CAO for the county. My coworkers are telling me to relax and don't worry, that I haven't been trained on purchasing procedures for such a large amount ($200k+ for this phase), and that the people up there are hella lazy.

I'm thinking alcohol might be in order.

But on the upside, once this is all done I'll have upgraded the station here to full HD with the ability to broadcast live HD meetings from three remote locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
This doesn't really piss me off but good god my company employs some serious mouth breathers. I get these sorts of emails all the time and not just from people emailing me from their phone.

quote:

Goober am I able to connected to company network from my home connection with charters lab top. I'm not having any luck.

Sent from my iPhone