Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
2,000 creds to avoid a stupid event is just dumb. I don't have much time to play games and I'm not interesting in spending my space bucks just because the devs (and most of the players) are idiots that think standing in one place for 15 minutes is the height of fun. Try clicking an objective when you're having a fit every 4 seconds.

Also the immunity buff is lost if you die, so that means I also can't PvP. It's a tedious, poorly planned event that makes me not want to log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dick Trauma posted:

2,000 creds to avoid a stupid event is just dumb. I don't have much time to play games and I'm not interesting in spending my space bucks just because the devs (and most of the players) are idiots that think standing in one place for 15 minutes is the height of fun. Try clicking an objective when you're having a fit every 4 seconds.

Also the immunity buff is lost if you die, so that means I also can't PvP. It's a tedious, poorly planned event that makes me not want to log in.

It's 2000 credits. Unless you're literally below level 10 that's chump change.

I'm more disappointed that they kept the "exploding players" mechanic from the first event. I was hoping to be able to spread the plague by turning into a plaguebearer this time. :unsmigghh:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

So I went down in the caves for the first time. Scanning for the things and the camera starts shaking. I turn just in time to see...

:stonk:

Scared the poo poo out of me. But it gave me a Crimson Rakling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm on the fleet as Treffa a level 49 sniper. Let me into your guild please goons.

e:At the GTN kiosks.

e2:Thanks "Lynithia".

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 22, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

Plus, the vaccine lasts 6 hours...not ideal, but 2,000 credits for 6 hours of immunity isn't the worst thing in the world, even for a broke alt like I just started. But yeah, I kinda hate this event too, in that it's impossible to ignore it. Though I suppose it gives you a leg up in PVP against the pubbies who don't bother to immunize...

Also, I have a (probably dumb) Flashpoint question: If you join a flashpoint through the group finder, do you automatically pick up the mission? In other words, if I want to do my Emerging Conflicts I daily, can I just queue for Hammer Station in the group finder, or do I have to actually visit the the flashpoint courier and start the quest that way in order to claim the reward for the daily (and the quest itself) at the end of it?

The daily missions have to be picked up at the terminal - you'll get the mission for whatever FP you queue for, but the daily Emerging Conflicts mission has to be picked up, and like Place Said, up to Red Reaper you have to "finish" the flashpoint at the terminal before you go back to the drop box.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ways they could make the event not suck monkey balls:

1. Confine the infection to the event planet. There's supposed to be a quarantine, right? If they want players to spread plague all over then they should be fugitives in secured places like the fleet. THORN champions could be at entrances and patrolling for infected players. Infected players in secured areas could be flagged for same-side PvP so uninfected could join in. Infected could band together to break into secured areas and spread the disease.

2. Make the infection do something. Maybe being infected allows you access to restricted parts of the event, so there's actually a reason to want to be infected. Perhaps a small chance to temporarily become a rakghoul and do something during the event non-rakghouls can't. All it does now is make you cough, cough some more, then die. BORING.

3. The game is full of healers, you even quest on Taris for a cure. Add a quest to get an item to cure infected players. Let the healthy chase the infected the same way the infected are chasing the healthy. Provide a debuff so that anyone recently infected or cured cannot go through the process again for 20 or 30 minutes so we get a break from all the coughing nonsense.

4. Provide a mix of buffs and/or debuffs for all players depending on whether a secured area is mostly infected or mostly healthy. Tattooine mostly healthy? Get an XP buff. Mostly infected? Maybe a mix of buff and debuff so as to not penalize the infected too much.

There are many ways this event could be more than just running around coughing on people.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Even assuming you get 2 people per explosion (fat loving chance)

Go stand by the PvP Mission terminal. I got 6 last night by sitting away around the corner stealthed and ran in at about 5 seconds, threw out a /goodbye and kaboom.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah the whole 2k credits is bullshit. I understand that people, IE most players, have literally enough cash to poo poo rainbows but some of us are new to the game. I am not a fan of having to spend 2k credits while also being forced to avoid the Imperial fleet for fear of an infection that makes me useless for either
a) 15 minutes
b) waste 2k credits

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Yeah the whole 2k credits is bullshit. I understand that people, IE most players, have literally enough cash to poo poo rainbows but some of us are new to the game. I am not a fan of having to spend 2k credits while also being forced to avoid the Imperial fleet for fear of an infection that makes me useless for either
a) 15 minutes
b) waste 2k credits

If anyone is on JC and having trouble affording the vaccines I'll throw a bunch in the guild bank when I get home tonight. The only annoying thing to me is that the vaccine doesn't last past death so you need to reapply if you wipe to something stupid.

The other option is to just pretty much avoid the fleet for a bit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hadn't considered that the effect goes away when you die...yeah, this makes PVP pretty horrible for poor people, this is a dumb event :(.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I finally have a 2nd companion, Quinn and Vette, and I just noticed after a quest that I had affection gain for Vette even though she wasn't there.
Now I assume the person with me I can get MORE points based upon responses ie Response a gives -1, than my 2nd answer gives +25 blah blah blah
But the overall mission also gives affection or was that based on my statements too even though my companion wasn't there?

I'm on the 3rd planet and I have Quinn with me(healer so yay) and I got like +50 from my responses. But when I got to complete the quest he got an additional +30 Affection but so did Vette

I'm trying to figure out how/why I got affection with her since I was hitting on some chick again which normally makes me loose points with her

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Is there an active Republic goon guild on Jedi Convenant or just the Imperial one?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

There are many ways this event could be more than just running around coughing on people.

I remember in WoW, right before Wrath of the Lich King released there was a zombie outbreak. Basically once you were infected you could attack anybody, PC or NPC, and either kill them or infect them using zombie "moves". (These were all that were available for use.) After 10 minutes or so you would die, but by then you could have half a town running around as zombies. (Zombies could not attack other zombies.) It was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

Of course, there were a bunch of people crying that it was ruining their fun and they hated it and blah blah blah, so after a day or so they made it much easier to manage by having people die of it a lot quicker. Prior to that there were outbreaks everywhere that made avoiding it all but impossible.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I finally have a 2nd companion, Quinn and Vette, and I just noticed after a quest that I had affection gain for Vette even though she wasn't there.
Now I assume the person with me I can get MORE points based upon responses ie Response a gives -1, than my 2nd answer gives +25 blah blah blah
But the overall mission also gives affection or was that based on my statements too even though my companion wasn't there?

I'm on the 3rd planet and I have Quinn with me(healer so yay) and I got like +50 from my responses. But when I got to complete the quest he got an additional +30 Affection but so did Vette

I'm trying to figure out how/why I got affection with her since I was hitting on some chick again which normally makes me loose points with her

You can only gain/lose affection with the companion you currently have with you. The only exceptions to this are a few class mission conversations, most of which take place on your ship with all the crew around.

The numbers you see pop up during conversation don't apply immediately. They're in a holding buffer until you complete the relevant quest, then net gain or loss is applied. You were using your different companions on different conversations, so you saw the tally at the end including both of them even though only one was with you.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

You can only gain/lose affection with the companion you currently have with you. The only exceptions to this are a few class mission conversations, most of which take place on your ship with all the crew around.

The numbers you see pop up during conversation don't apply immediately. They're in a holding buffer until you complete the relevant quest, then net gain or loss is applied. You were using your different companions on different conversations, so you saw the tally at the end including both of them even though only one was with you.

Ah okay thank you. It was a class mission which does explain why I saw it. Thank you

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hadn't considered that the effect goes away when you die...yeah, this makes PVP pretty horrible for poor people, this is a dumb event :(.

I don't mind the dying part, it's the coughing fits that make it insufferable since it pretty much cancels every action you're doing.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I must have the Zombie Treek customization. MUST. HAVE.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SiliconX posted:

I don't mind the dying part, it's the coughing fits that make it insufferable since it pretty much cancels every action you're doing.

Well yeah that's sort of his point. If the effect remained active after dying the disease would be that much easier to ignore.

First time I made a bald character...

THE SEAM!!!

Switching all the graphical settings to the highest fidelity didn't make it disappear.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Here's a thing: Go into your screenshot folder (should be documents/the old republic/screenshots) and post the very first and very last screenshots in there.

First. A now deleted smuggler on Ord Mantell

Last. A scoundrel that I've been leveling solely through PvP and FP. Now level 43.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
The event wouldn't bother me if the Vaccine persisted through death, but since all I do is PvP I tend to die more frequently then someone who only does pve dailies. It gets annoying have to re-vaccine fairly often, unless I feel like being stunned numerous times throughout a game.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
If you get infected on the station, couldn't you just strip down and dive into the space between the outer two platforms?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SiliconX posted:

Sorry, I meant the effect of the vaccination goes away when you die, that's the annoying part. If you just spent 2,000 credits on a vaccine that lasted for a straight 6 hours, that would be ok, but the fact that you have to reapply it every time you die makes PVP supremely frustrating.

I'd be curious to see the notes of the meeting where the people responsible for this implementation signed off on it. Even just making the vaccination persistent through death would go a long way to making it better.

Or just a cheap/free item you could pick up at the fleet and equip, which makes you immune to the plague, but also exempt from any awards related to the event. Just some way to opt out and not have to deal with the dumb coughing fits, I don't find them fun.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

wazu posted:

I remember in WoW, right before Wrath of the Lich King released there was a zombie outbreak. Basically once you were infected you could attack anybody, PC or NPC, and either kill them or infect them using zombie "moves". (These were all that were available for use.) After 10 minutes or so you would die, but by then you could have half a town running around as zombies. (Zombies could not attack other zombies.) It was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO.

Of course, there were a bunch of people crying that it was ruining their fun and they hated it and blah blah blah, so after a day or so they made it much easier to manage by having people die of it a lot quicker. Prior to that there were outbreaks everywhere that made avoiding it all but impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm loving the event so far, I don't play on the goon server (two RL friends of mine play on the same server as me and don't want to transfer) but my guild on there got together a 16-man ops group to go walk through the tunnels while flagged (10 of them were stealthers too!), then when gankers tried to get us in their full PVP gear (most of us are in elite commendation gear, a few had ranked PVP gear) suddenly watching 10ish stealthers use their 'only usable from stealth' moves and eating two of the fourish gankers in an instant was hilarious.

The dailies are kinda meh, and I haven't managed to do the op however, our guild lacks *any* tanks. Pure DPS groups are great for PVP hilarity though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
QTforever back in (Looking for Thats No Goon Invite). Came back and the old guild was dead :(

Apparently F2P, even with preferred, Cant send tells til level 10? Awesome!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 23, 2014

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

I decided to finally give the game a go again to see the stories on the imperial side. Can I get a That's No Goon invite for Tairon and Alistara? Thanks!

Edit: Got the invites, thanks a lot.

Antaris fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 23, 2014

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
My 7 day pass was about over and after seeing all the 55s running around I just re-subbed. Running through the Makeb content now and its pretty fun.

A That's No Goon invite would be nice as well. Odyneth lvl 51 Imp side.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sorry, I meant the effect of the vaccination goes away when you die, that's the annoying part. If you just spent 2,000 credits on a vaccine that lasted for a straight 6 hours, that would be ok, but the fact that you have to reapply it every time you die makes PVP supremely frustrating.

I'd be curious to see the notes of the meeting where the people responsible for this implementation signed off on it. Even just making the vaccination persistent through death would go a long way to making it better.

Or just a cheap/free item you could pick up at the fleet and equip, which makes you immune to the plague, but also exempt from any awards related to the event. Just some way to opt out and not have to deal with the dumb coughing fits, I don't find them fun.

I said this before, but go get one of these: http://www.torhead.com/item/9sLtir/antiviral-kit-mk-2

Equip it and no more infection. They have a level 25 and 45 version also. They are on a vendor just inside the tunnels. I don't remember exact costs, but it sounds like a permanent way to avoid the plague effects. Not terrible stars for leveling with too given the lack of alignment neutral relics while leveling.

Edit: you might need newcomer rep to buy those according to dulfy.

Stan S. Stanman fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 23, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I said this before, but go get one of these: http://www.torhead.com/item/9sLtir/antiviral-kit-mk-2

Equip it and no more infection. They have a level 25 and 45 version also. They are on a vendor just inside the tunnels. I don't remember exact costs, but it sounds like a permanent way to avoid the plague effects. Not terrible stars for leveling with too given the lack of alignment neutral relics while leveling.

My alt's only level 17, but I'll keep an eye out for when I get there!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Stan S. Stanman posted:

The stats are actually pretty good for leveling, you lack the bonus clickie, but extra presence means companions are more useful, and the endurance bonuses aren't bad.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Not to mention that the relics you come across while leveling are absolute garbage and usually have a Light/Dark alignment requirement.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Not to mention that the relics you come across while leveling are absolute garbage and usually have a Light/Dark alignment requirement.

Yeah I was going to buy them but then made myself say "NO!" because I don't need any additional incentive to level a 10th character.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005
First: Soa bugged out while dying

Last: Trying to redo my UI/Keybinds on all my characters

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Place Ad Here posted:

First: Soa bugged out while dying

I remember a patch where EV would give insane social points, I went from social II to like social VII in two runs.

Filer
Oct 31, 2013
Have a few Imps, and considering changing servers - one question though, have many on peek Australian times?

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
Would like to toss my referral into the ring as well:

http://www.swtor.com/r/zYQMD7

Coming back to check out new Rakghoul event and free form space combat.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
So since coming back I noticed I have a lot of unassembled columni and rakata stuff in my bank, but I can't find any place to turn it in. Did all of this gear get phased out or something?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

TeeMerk posted:

So since coming back I noticed I have a lot of unassembled columni and rakata stuff in my bank, but I can't find any place to turn it in. Did all of this gear get phased out or something?

Yep! You can trade it in somewhere (or maybe sell it?) for Classic Comms I think, which are slightly above Planetary but lower than Basic, I think.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TeeMerk posted:

There's a vendor on the Ziost Shadow (or whatever the Republic variant is) who accepts unassembled gear (PVP and regular) and trades it for comms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, you should be able to trade those in on your faction's ops ship. So Gav Daragon or Ziost Shadow. I can't remember which level though.

• Locked thread