Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

"We were okay with it being badly designed because people could figure it out using the internet"

Yeah no I'm glad they realized how obscure it was.

Didn't the Azure Flute activate automatically if you had it in your inventory when you re-entered the Spear Pillar? They could have just said something in the Wonder Card to the effect of "Take this mysterious item to the Spear Pillar!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Have a random battle, wherein I guess my opponent watches the anime instead of actually playing the games? I dunno.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-79299601

"Tie?" I probably took him entirely too seriously, though. :saddowns:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
Serebii's got the Japanese e-shop release up on its main page, so that's legit enough for me. Looks promising! Perhaps we can expect a download sometime this month.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Not my best playing, but probably the closest end to a match I've ever had in challenge cup. Assault Vest Azelf saves my rear end twice and it manages to survive to finish off a Mightyena with 1 hp.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/challengecup-80005917

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Didn't the Azure Flute activate automatically if you had it in your inventory when you re-entered the Spear Pillar? They could have just said something in the Wonder Card to the effect of "Take this mysterious item to the Spear Pillar!"

But... Spear mountain sucks... :c

I'd much rather just talk to the pokemart guy than go through that junk again. I think that was the worst dungeon in any pokemon game tbh.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NightfallGemini posted:

It's like they forgot the Internet exists

This is standard operating procedure for anything remotely affiliated with Nintendo.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Hatched a Jolly x/31/31/31/31/31 shining Chimchar tonight! IT has Blaze so I might run a SD set instead.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Holy poo poo I just got Wonder Traded a shiny Riolu from some trainer in Japan! Shiny Mega Lucario here I come!

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I'm going to raise me a Hydreigon for Singles and probably for the Battle Maison as well. After reading about the increased Critical Hit ratio I really like the idea of Scope Lens Hydreigon; after using Focus Energy he has a 100 percent chance of a Critical Hit, meaning he can fire off Draco Meteor after Draco Meteor and the Special Attack drop won't be taken into account.

My question is, what should the other two moves be? I want either Dark Pulse or Crunch, but I'm not sure which. If there's something a physical attack would help with that a special attack wouldn't, then I would go with that, but I can't think of any significant ones besides Chansey/Blissey.

And then there's the fourth move. It's down to Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, and Fire Blast, really. Focus Blast probably isn't the best choice seeing as that means every single attack is resisted by Fairy, but at the same time I don't know if it warrants using Flash Cannon for coverage. I guess the Special Defense drop would be welcome whenever it happened, at least. Fire Blast would be able to handle everything except Azumarill, but Azumarill doesn't take much damage from Flash Cannon either, so whatever. Superpower might have been an option since nothing but Critical Hits means no drop in attack power, but that'd require Pokebank.

Complexcalibur fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Complexcalibur posted:

And then there's the fourth move. It's down to Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, and Fire Blast, really. Focus Blast probably isn't the best choice seeing as that means every single attack is resisted by Fairy, but at the same time I don't know if it warrants using Flash Cannon for coverage. I guess the Special Defense drop would be welcome whenever it happened, at least. Fire Blast would be able to handle everything except Azumarill, but Azumarill doesn't take much damage from Flash Cannon either, so whatever.
If you're going Maison, then definitely do Flash Cannon. You never, ever use anything below 100% accuracy in Maison without a drat good reason. And Dark Pulse is better than Crunch in almost every situation, so you might as well use it so you can invest fully in SpAtk.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Carbon Thief posted:

Holy poo poo I just got Wonder Traded a shiny Riolu from some trainer in Japan! Shiny Mega Lucario here I come!

The best part of Wonder Trade is it means even people who don't actually hack will be using entire teams of hacked Pokemon on wi-fi now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So if I already caught Zygarde and Mewtwo, whatever obnoxious bird I have in my game is the last thing worth using a master ball on right?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Blhue posted:

So if I already caught Zygarde and Mewtwo, whatever obnoxious bird I have in my game is the last thing worth using a master ball on right?

The bird is even easier to catch than those two, save the Master Ball for when you randomly encounter a shiny of your favorite Pokemon while loving around in the grass somewhere.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

TwoSheds posted:

I can't read what that says, and nobody else has said anything about it online, so I'm going to keep my hopes grounded until I hear something semi-official.

I can't read it thus it can't be true! :geno:

It literally says "Pokemon Bank" in the screenshot for the software, and the tweet literally says "Yes, it has been delivered." in response to somebody asking if it's been released yet. Just look at any of the responses to the re-tweet with Twitter's autotranslate even, it's more than sufficient.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-80057851

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Mega Medicham probably doesn't belong in UU.

I'm also upset I didn't get a scald burn in like 8 scald uses because that would have given me the momentum to set up rocks.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-80062778

Another Medicham replay - this one showing off how stupidly versatile it is. Psychic types? 2hko after rocks. I messed up and let his Haxorus set up? (I assumed it was scarfed) No worries, fake out will grind it out.

And yet it is still really hard to use in OU. Thanks a lot talonfarts (and m-pinsir and m-lucario and m-venusaur)

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you're going Maison, then definitely do Flash Cannon. You never, ever use anything below 100% accuracy in Maison without a drat good reason. And Dark Pulse is better than Crunch in almost every situation, so you might as well use it so you can invest fully in SpAtk.

He's already running Draco Meteor, he might as well run Fire Blast.

Either way Hydreigon isn't particularly well cut out for Maison - his movepool is all about high risk high reward and he sits at a pretty miserable speed tier considering the other 600 BST dragons you could use who either have better boosting moves, better bulk, slightly better speed, or better coverage. By using base 90 instead of base 100+ moves, Hydreigon forfeits a lot of OHKO's especially if it isn't using Specs or Life Orb. Goodra has similar special coverage with significantly more massive bulk, affording the option to use less accurate moves. Dragonite is incredibly bulky thanks to Multiscale and can sweep hard with STAB Outrage or Dragon Claw. Salamence also gets a bulk-boosting ability and sits at 100 speed as opposed to 98, while Garchomp is pretty much just a massive sweep machine.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Here is what Nintendo of America is saying about PokeBank.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/425815499956445184 https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/425815578436059136

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

I suppose this makes me feel better.

In happier news: I bred out a perfect shiny 5IV Piplup! It's timid nature. Should I just go with the smogon suggested movepool/EV spread or do you guys suggest something different?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Complexcalibur posted:

I'm going to raise me a Hydreigon for Singles and probably for the Battle Maison as well. After reading about the increased Critical Hit ratio I really like the idea of Scope Lens Hydreigon; after using Focus Energy he has a 100 percent chance of a Critical Hit, meaning he can fire off Draco Meteor after Draco Meteor and the Special Attack drop won't be taken into account.

My question is, what should the other two moves be? I want either Dark Pulse or Crunch, but I'm not sure which. If there's something a physical attack would help with that a special attack wouldn't, then I would go with that, but I can't think of any significant ones besides Chansey/Blissey.

And then there's the fourth move. It's down to Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, and Fire Blast, really. Focus Blast probably isn't the best choice seeing as that means every single attack is resisted by Fairy, but at the same time I don't know if it warrants using Flash Cannon for coverage. I guess the Special Defense drop would be welcome whenever it happened, at least. Fire Blast would be able to handle everything except Azumarill, but Azumarill doesn't take much damage from Flash Cannon either, so whatever. Superpower might have been an option since nothing but Critical Hits means no drop in attack power, but that'd require Pokebank.

Don't use Focus Blast in the Maison, or Fire Blast either for that matter. Accuracy is a huge deal in the Battle Maison, because even if you're one-shotting every single thing you come up against, beating ten trainers still takes thirty attacks. If you used Focus Blast for every one of those kills, then statistically speaking, it should have missed nine times in the course of beating just ten trainers, which is an intolerable risk when just one loss ends your streak. Even Draco Meteor is still probably going to miss three times out of those thirty attacks. When you're rolling the dice that many times, the question to ask of any move with less-than-perfect accuracy is not if you're going to miss but when you're going to miss.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
It is a proven fact that RNGesus pretty much curbstomps anyone who enters the Maison. You say that in thirty attacks, Focus Blast will miss approximately nine times. I say that it will miss approximately 27. The 3 times it does hit, it's a critical hit against a pokemon it would have OHKOd anyway.

I hit myself in confusion, missed a Will-O-Wisp, then got crit twice. All in one sequence. This is my typical Maison experience.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Goodpart posted:

It is a proven fact that RNGesus pretty much curbstomps anyone who enters the Maison. You say that in thirty attacks, Focus Blast will miss approximately nine times. I say that it will miss approximately 27. The 3 times it does hit, it's a critical hit against a pokemon it would have OHKOd anyway.

I hit myself in confusion, missed a Will-O-Wisp, then got crit twice. All in one sequence. This is my typical Maison experience.

Battle Maison is a pretty amazing AI that kicks you while you're down. I ran into a Heliolisk that had laser beam accuracy with focus blast and royally screwed me on battle 19.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Goodpart posted:

Someone pointed out the way Game AI sometimes works to make it look like it cheats: It's subject to the same accuracy modifiers and such you are, but it can actually SEE what the next move would be. So let's say the next move is an accuracy roll of 75 and above, he would simply not use the 70% move. Which I guess IS cheating in a way but it's still technically subject to the same rules you are.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

NightfallGemini posted:

It's like they forgot the Internet exists and that some people would have stumbled upon the event and posted about it. :psyduck:

Stumbled upon, you say?

That's not the actual Hall of Origin though, it's just a dummy map that's completely identical, except it has no events or warps. :ssh:

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

So has anyone figured out how the score even works in this stupid global link balloon minigame?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
After Showdown moved their servers last night I can't connect to it. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I am very, very, very bad at VGC. I have no idea what I could have even done.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-80100786

(Yes I stole the wide guard Aegislash M-Pinsir setup)

E: still suck

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-80101496

e2: I got a tie, that's something

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-80102660

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 22, 2014

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Looking for a few good Pocket Men. If anyone's got any of these and wants to trade I'm at 4570-8569-2043. My friend just gave me a Rotom yesterday too if anyone wants me to breed em one as well as any starter not listed here. (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Torchic, all of Gen 2, Gen 4, and Gen 6)

Squirtle
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Skrelp
Treecko
Mudkip
Shinx
Vulpix
Porygon
Meowth
Electabuzz
Kabuto
Clefairy
Togepi
Xatu
Misdreavus
Noibat
Purrloin
Minccino
Sewaddle
Deerling
Frillish
Cottonee
Maractus
Petilil
Elgyem

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 22, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I'm addicted to sucker punch.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-80109073

I spent this whole match thinking "god dammit how am I gonna get the Hairyama into sucker punch range" before realizing I could just kill it with iron head instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LemonLimeTime posted:

Looking for a few good Pocket Men. If anyone's got any of these and wants to trade I'm at 4570-8569-2043. My friend just gave me a Rotom yesterday too if anyone wants me to breed em one as well as any starter not listed here. (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Torchic, all of Gen 2, Gen 4, and Gen 6)

Squirtle
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Skrelp
Treecko
Mudkip
Shinx
Vulpix
Porygon
Meowth
Electabuzz
Kabuto
Clefairy
Togepi
Xatu
Misdreavus
Noibat
Purrloin
Minccino
Sewaddle
Deerling
Frillish
Cottonee
Maractus
Petilil
Elgyem

I can help you out with Mudkip, Porygon, Kabuto, and Noibat. My friend code is 0447-6573-0838

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Zoness posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-80057851
He's already running Draco Meteor, he might as well run Fire Blast.

Either way Hydreigon isn't particularly well cut out for Maison - his movepool is all about high risk high reward and he sits at a pretty miserable speed tier considering the other 600 BST dragons you could use who either have better boosting moves, better bulk, slightly better speed, or better coverage. By using base 90 instead of base 100+ moves, Hydreigon forfeits a lot of OHKO's especially if it isn't using Specs or Life Orb. Goodra has similar special coverage with significantly more massive bulk, affording the option to use less accurate moves. Dragonite is incredibly bulky thanks to Multiscale and can sweep hard with STAB Outrage or Dragon Claw. Salamence also gets a bulk-boosting ability and sits at 100 speed as opposed to 98, while Garchomp is pretty much just a massive sweep machine.

Well that's a shame. I really liked the idea of it.

So the other two on the Maison team at the moment are M-Kangaskhan and Greninja, since that's what I have trained up at the moment. Looking at it now I guess Hydreigon is a poor fit anyway, and the non-Flying Dragons aren't much better. I'd like to use Dragonite but I don't have access to Multiscale at the moment. So now I'm thinking a Ghost type would work; Chandelure has power and coverage but is a bit slow, Aegislash with Weakness Policy could work and doesn't care about being slow, and Drifblim with Weakness Policy sort of has power, but definitely has speed.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

^^^^^ Can't go wrong with Gengar. Fast, strong, good coverage. Easy to EV train (Sp.Atk and Speed). If you're using it in the Maison, give it Focus Sash and Destiny Bond. That move's always great in battle facilities.

In this episode of 3v3, a lesson in how overprediction can cost you a game, especially in a format where switching carries a lot more weight:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotsingles-80113067

At one point he tries to EQ while Mandibuzz is still out and it lets me Roost for free. He's played me before and knows my strategy (and I tried it again early on in this game in case he forgot). If I'd switched out to Aegislash instead of keeping Mandibuzz in on that turn, he would have had a better chance to make a comeback - I would have had a crippled Aegislash and Mandibuzz facing down M-Kanga and that's no good.

Those two are a great pair. I might consider making a sandstorm/stall team around them for OU.

And in breeding news, I snagged a 4IV Adamant Mawile off GTS! :woop:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 22, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I was testing a new team that involves some dumb gimmicks, one of which involves ally switch. But for some reason it just doesn't work on showdown?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-80116851

Nothing I read about the move on bulbapedia indicates it should fail like that. Both times I used it on showdown it just refused to work though. Anyone know what the deal is?

Oh and you can also take this battle as a cautionary tale. Don't rely on swagger to stop a physical attacker, because they might just wreck you instead.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

MustelaFuro posted:

After Showdown moved their servers last night I can't connect to it. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks.

Anyone? Please help.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

All this competitive battling talk makes my brain hurt. I just like playing the games, collecting the little bastards and stomping the laughably bad A.I. It's the way my ten year old self intended. That being said I do pay attention to things like nature and it is fun to min-max my pokemon and my sister is a total pokemaniac so I pointers from her. But I'm no competitive battler, I just play the games for fun.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 22, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I kind of want to find a good use for Dragalge, if only because it looks cool. I feel like an Assault Vest might work for it, but I'm not sure. Does this seem competent at all?
Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Starhawk64 posted:

All this competitive battling talk makes my brain hurt. I just like playing the games,collecting the collecting the little bastards and stomp the laughably bad A.I. It's the way my ten year old sled intended. That being said I do pay attention to things like nature and it is fun to min-max my pokemon and my sister is a total pokemaniac so I pointers from her. But I'm no competitive battler, I just play the games for fun.

That's perfectly fine. I used to be the exact same way, but as I got older I started craving more strategic depth so I got into competitive battling. Originally I was completely turned off by it but doubles is way more fun than singles, and it turns out you can make most pokemon work if you have a good plan and good game sense. The collector in me still enjoys the base game though. Breeding goes hand in hand with comp battling, so its a good thing I like it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I was testing a new team that involves some dumb gimmicks, one of which involves ally switch. But for some reason it just doesn't work on showdown?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-80116851

Nothing I read about the move on bulbapedia indicates it should fail like that. Both times I used it on showdown it just refused to work though. Anyone know what the deal is?

Oh and you can also take this battle as a cautionary tale. Don't rely on swagger to stop a physical attacker, because they might just wreck you instead.

I think it's for Triple Battles only maybe? The idea is that you can use it to shuffle your pokemon around so they can hit targets on the opposite side of the triple battle.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Those two are a great pair. I might consider making a sandstorm/stall team around them for OU.

Sand Stall isn't in a particularly great place in OU. Tyranitar is fine in the abstract but really has a hard time dealing with all the random burns being tossed around or being repeatedly switched into hazards in general. Plus, you have to keep bringing him out to get sand back on the field, so using a weather starter in singles puts you on fairly predictable lines of play. Hippowdon doesn't really cut it at all right now, unfortunately.

Stall in general is harder to play in singles this gen thanks to a number of factors like the Knock Off buff, Defog buff, and weather nerf. Residual damage is harder to pile on. Aegislash is still a decent pokemon to pair up with Mandibuzz since Mandibuzz is generally setup fodder for Lucario and as long as they're not running Crunch/Dark Pulse Aegislash gets an easy switch. That said, depending on Aegislash's set it might not enjoy taking flash cannons / bullet punches repeatedly.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 22, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dude789 posted:

I think it's for Triple Battles only maybe? The idea is that you can use it to shuffle your pokemon around so they can hit targets on the opposite side of the triple battle.

The bulbapedia page says it only fails in singles, and shows a preview of it being used in doubles.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Zoness posted:

Stall in general is harder to play in singles this gen thanks to a number of factors like the Knock Off buff, Defog buff, and weather nerf.

The Defog buff actually helped stall quite a bit since it was hyper offense teams that had frail hazard setters and the weather nerf weakened threats that rain stall could already handle anyway. Mega Venusaur is also one of the best things that's ever happened to stall. What's really keeping stall down right now are those assholes Mega Lucario and Genesect, and to a less extent Charizard since there's no way to know what set it is before it megas and therefor which counter to send in, not like there's that many anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I am Reverend posted:

The Defog buff actually helped stall quite a bit since it was hyper offense teams that had frail hazard setters and the weather nerf weakened threats that rain stall could already handle anyway. Mega Venusaur is also one of the best things that's ever happened to stall. What's really keeping stall down right now are those assholes Mega Lucario and Genesect, and to a less extent Charizard since there's no way to know what set it is before it megas and therefor which counter to send in, not like there's that many anyway.

Sand Stall specifically used Skarmory as another hazard setter and spikes aren't nearly as useful any more. In addition, because hazards are easier to remove fire types have an easier time hitting the field which hurts the part of those teams that depended heavily on steel types, while Sand itself lost some value since the other weathers are comparatively less prevalent.

Of course, Sand Stall wasn't hit as hard as Hydration Stall.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 22, 2014

• Locked thread