Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

sanchez posted:

I got some WD Reds from them recently that came in the air pocket things, no complaints.

Same. One 4tb seagate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Ninja Rope posted:

I use SMB2 over 802.11n and get ~75mbit to a FreeBSD/ZFS server. Haven't noticed any issues renaming files or getting progress bars to work.

Well, with wireless it's really kind of a moot point, as even on AC you're not realistically going to get better than maybe 300Mbps in a best-case scenario.

spoon daddy posted:

Just get netatalk 3.0, ppa is located at https://launchpad.net/~jofko/+archive/ppa

It is drop dead simple to setup and configure and I get ~100MB/s with afp. It has the added bonus of being able to emulate a time machine share which I use for backing up my mac.

Yeah, netatalk would be what I'd use for AFP. I really would prefer to not use AFP for the reasons I previously mentioned, but at this point everything I've been able to find seems to indicate it's probably my only real choice for getting good performance, so pragmatism will probably win out and I'll set that up when I do my file server refresh.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

GokieKS posted:

Well, with wireless it's really kind of a moot point, as even on AC you're not realistically going to get better than maybe 300Mbps in a best-case scenario.

Sorry, that was a typo. I get ~75 megabytes per second through wireless, which is comparable to what I get wired from Windows or OSX.

Edit: vvv Guess I misremembered then. Sorry! :suicide:

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 20, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Ninja Rope posted:

Sorry, that was a typo. I get ~75 megabytes per second through wireless, which is comparable to what I get wired from Windows or OSX.

I'm real curious as to how you're getting 75MB/s over 802.11n, which has a maximum theoretical throughput of 450Mbps (56.25MB/s) in 3x3 mode.

Edit: actually, there are 4x4 equipment which has a theoretical throughput of 600Mbps, which is exactly 75MB/s, but there's still literally no possible way of getting that in real world usage.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Blackblaze went out and published the failure rates of their drives and actually included the drive manufacturer and type!

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So Hitachi > WD >> Seagate for long-term reliability, at least with the specific drive types and setup involved. Good to have some data to actually back up the brand-biases that float about.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
How many of you use the NAS with something like Twonky installed? Is the CPU enough to transcode? I see Thecus bragging about it but not a ton of discussion. I have a Roku 2 I'm not using (because I switched an HTPC) that I'm wondering if I could use with another TV + NAS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Namlemez posted:

How many of you use the NAS with something like Twonky installed? Is the CPU enough to transcode? I see Thecus bragging about it but not a ton of discussion. I have a Roku 2 I'm not using (because I switched an HTPC) that I'm wondering if I could use with another TV + NAS.

Use what nas? My Xpenology /w i3 4330 transcodes 1080p fine.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Use what nas? My Xpenology /w i3 4330 transcodes 1080p fine.

I'm looking more at low-end consumer ones rather than rolling my own. Based on http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-popular, I was reading about the Thecus N2310 and the Zyxel NSA325.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Namlemez posted:

I'm looking more at low-end consumer ones rather than rolling my own. Based on http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-popular, I was reading about the Thecus N2310 and the Zyxel NSA325.

Low end consumer ones arn't going to transcode. A dual core atom will kind of do 720p. You really want something with an i3 or pentium dual core at the minimum.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Don Lapre posted:

Low end consumer ones arn't going to transcode. A dual core atom will kind of do 720p. You really want something with an i3 or pentium dual core at the minimum.

Or a Zacate+ APU from AMD since transcoding can often be offloaded to the GPU (just make sure to pay attention to the power draw and take it into account).

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

deimos posted:

transcoding can often be offloaded to the GPU

Can it though? What hardware/software combo would it take to get GPU transcoding working?
It seems to be a real minefield of competing technologies and non-existent software support.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DashingGentleman posted:

Can it though? What hardware/software combo would it take to get GPU transcoding working?
It seems to be a real minefield of competing technologies and non-existent software support.

Some parts of a first pass can be offloaded via OpenCL/CUDA to a GPU. It's similar work to what quick sync does, I am not sure how the performance of quick-sync on an i3/Celeron compares to a low TDP APU.

I know handbrake has beta support for either of them and there are branches of a few open source projects (x264 and mencoder come to mind) that have OpenCL/QS/CUDA support.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm looking at picking up a synology 1513+ as an upgrade from my Drobo FS (attached via eSATA)

Should I be concerned about running it in hybrid raid at all? do people have better recommendations? I think I don't fully understand how the various RAID types treat expandability. The idea being just that if I want to use 3x1TB and 2x2TB drives or some combination like that the hybrid raid is the only way to achieve it correct? Is it better just to go buy 5x2TB drives right away or something? I currently only have ~3TB of media on my drobo but I'm sure my collection of raw photography from job stuff will just keep growing and growing.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

MMD3 posted:

I'm looking at picking up a synology 1513+ as an upgrade from my Drobo FS (attached via eSATA)

Should I be concerned about running it in hybrid raid at all? do people have better recommendations? I think I don't fully understand how the various RAID types treat expandability. The idea being just that if I want to use 3x1TB and 2x2TB drives or some combination like that the hybrid raid is the only way to achieve it correct? Is it better just to go buy 5x2TB drives right away or something? I currently only have ~3TB of media on my drobo but I'm sure my collection of raw photography from job stuff will just keep growing and growing.

Use mixed drives. And when you want more space, swap the 2GB's up to 4GB's and leave the 3's.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Civil posted:

Use mixed drives. And when you want more space, swap the 2GB's up to 4GB's and leave the 3's.

I guess my question was just if the hybrid raid was the only way to use mixed drives and if there's any downside to using hybrid as opposed to another RAID type

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

MMD3 posted:

I guess my question was just if the hybrid raid was the only way to use mixed drives and if there's any downside to using hybrid as opposed to another RAID type

It isn't the only way to use the drives, but it is the most effective use of the space when using mixed sizes. Without the hybrid raid, you will (often, not always) have more unused space. Also I'm not entirely sure with those synology units if they can increase space on the fly if you use traditional raid5/6 on them (I don't own one personally)

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator
Compare SHR and RAID5 (where you can lose a single drive before data loss)
Compare SHR2 and RAID6 (where you can lose two drives)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Underneath SHR2 is actually raid 6. It works fine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Are ZFS's techniques for corruption detection/repair and snapshots effective for huge (10-100gb+) files?

From what I understand, the file size is irrelevant, but I want to hear someone else's take.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DNova posted:

Are ZFS's techniques for corruption detection/repair and snapshots effective for huge (10-100gb+) files?

From what I understand, the file size is irrelevant, but I want to hear someone else's take.

IIRC ZFS' error correction is block-level, filesize has nothing to do with it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

DNova posted:

What deimos says is correct, but even if it wasn't the checksums would be valid up to a file 2^64-1 bytes in size. You don't need to worry about it. :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've got a question about Transmission running on FreeNAS, if this is the wrong thread to ask I apologize.

I have a shiny new FreeNAS server I set up last weekend, everything is great. Coming from uTorrent, however, I'm finding transmission very lacking.

I have two problems:

1. In settings.json, I enabled the "incomplete directory" option, but torrents won't move out of that directory once finished, which is super annoying. With uTorrent, I can set a Finished and Incomplete directory, and have any paused/unfinished torrents sit in the Incomplete directory, and then once finished they get moved and sorted in the Finished directory.

Which leads me to -

2. Sorting - any way to do this? When I add a torrent, I'd love to be able to tag/categorize it as "Linux ISO" and then have it download and sort to the Linux ISO directory automatically.

Any way to accomplish this with FreeNAS/transmission?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fancy_Lad posted:

It isn't the only way to use the drives, but it is the most effective use of the space when using mixed sizes. Without the hybrid raid, you will (often, not always) have more unused space. Also I'm not entirely sure with those synology units if they can increase space on the fly if you use traditional raid5/6 on them (I don't own one personally)

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator
Compare SHR and RAID5 (where you can lose a single drive before data loss)
Compare SHR2 and RAID6 (where you can lose two drives)

Sounds good, just wanted to make sure it was reliable enough.

The reason I'm looking to upgrade from the Drobo is that some file(s) on my Drobo file volume got corrupted probably a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure I know the folder they're in because anytime I tried to open the photos in the folder to view them in Lightroom or navigate to them I get a message that they cant be opened. Unfortunately because it's attached via eSATA and not NAS Windows insists on running diagnostics on the volume every time I restart if the Drobo is attached and if I let it run it takes an hour or so and tells me it doesn't have enough free space to repair the volume. If I let it run through the diagnostic it won't mount the Drobo, if I don't let the diagnostic run and then I plug the Drobo in and turn it on mid-way through the boot then I can typically get it mounted and use it w/out trouble until the next time I restart but it's a major pain in the rear end and I haven't been able to fix it. I'm pretty sure reformatting will solve the problem as it seems to be a problem with the files not a problem with the Drobo hardware but I don't have a spare ~4TB drive to copy everything over to and if I'm going to get one I'd rather just get a true NAS anyway at some point.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Turns out I think I bricked my new DNS-323 :shobon:

I put Alt-F on there as a replacement firmware, didn't like it, and tried to flash back to the D-Link firmware, and now it won't boot up, giving me just a blinking power light. Whoops!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Turns out I think I bricked my new DNS-323 :shobon:

I put Alt-F on there as a replacement firmware, didn't like it, and tried to flash back to the D-Link firmware, and now it won't boot up, giving me just a blinking power light. Whoops!

do you still have access to uboot?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

deimos posted:

do you still have access to uboot?

Looks like I'll have to build a serial interface for the DNS-323 before I can answer that question. Good lead though, thanks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alright, here's what I've finally settled on for my new server build:
What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Corrected a few parts, price comes to around 7500DKK.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

D. Ebdrup posted:

Alright, here's what I've finally settled on for my new server build:
What are your thoughts?

Switch to ITX and a http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Actually made a mistake, I meant to link to X10SL7-F.

There's no guarentee we'll be seeing that motherboard in Denmark (I've only seen one b2b price listing of ~2800 DKK, 1100 DKK more expensive than the X10SL7-F - putting the final price of the build at ~8500 and I'd be losing ~1.3GHz in raw cpu speed), and the case might or might not get here (but certainly not in the time-frame I'm planning this build for). Besides all of that, SuperMicro has a good track record for making server motherboards (lots of datacenters use them), whereas I've heard nothing (meaning there's no indication for reliability) about ASRock.

EDIT: ↓ I'm not hung up on mini-ITX, but it has to be either that or microATX.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 24, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
ITX motherboards are currently limited in offerings on LGA1150 so if you're going to run anything besides Linux or Windows and demand ITX, stick with LGA1155 (*Bridge processors) unless you're happy to lose something like USB 3.0 support for now. Still not sure why my NIC on my C224-based motherboard has problems with DHCP. You get better but old / obsolete ITX options on LGA1155 anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This is, to put it in George Carlins words, three of the worst things: Stupid, full of poo poo and loving nuts.
A HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 model 724160-045, IBM System x3100 M4 model 2582K9G, and Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX140 S2 model T1402SC010IN (which are basically the same server but with different standard hdd and oob-bmc) are - even after buying the 32GB memory I mentioned - cheaper than building a NAS server like I was planning. The only difference being, these are regular ATX systems.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've been looking at ways to expand my current home server solution (old C2D laptop with 4gb of ram) and was kicking round the following:
8 bay eSata external enclosure - Mediasonic ProBox H82-SU3S2 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA - $270
(alternatively a 4 bay version for about $100)
eSata Expresscard - StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps ExpressCard eSATA Controller Card (ECESAT32) - $65 (or $40 from Amazon)

Total (not including drives): $310ish + tax

Thing is, as I was looking at this problem, I was wondering if it were cheaper to build an entirely new, and better, mini server + HTPC with that budget or something close to it. Been reading this thread a while but unsure what the best solution for that would be within this budget...

So my question is twofold - the first is should I go that route?

Secondly, with the following in mind, what's a rough recomendations (assume I'll buy WD Reds for the storage drives)?
* Near silent
* As many drive bays as can be achieved (looks like 6 to 8 can be done)
* Preferably some VM support but might bend on that (if using VMs, I might go XPenology on a storage vm and OpenElec on the other)
* 1080p transcoding to anything
* Plex for media serving (and will be doing the transcoding)
* Reasonable power left over support for Sabnzbd+ and the other usual services...

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any reason you're not just buying an N54L?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Heners_UK posted:

I've been looking at ways to expand my current home server solution (old C2D laptop with 4gb of ram) and was kicking round the following:
8 bay eSata external enclosure - Mediasonic ProBox H82-SU3S2 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA - $270
(alternatively a 4 bay version for about $100)
eSata Expresscard - StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps ExpressCard eSATA Controller Card (ECESAT32) - $65 (or $40 from Amazon)

Total (not including drives): $310ish + tax

Thing is, as I was looking at this problem, I was wondering if it were cheaper to build an entirely new, and better, mini server + HTPC with that budget or something close to it. Been reading this thread a while but unsure what the best solution for that would be within this budget...

So my question is twofold - the first is should I go that route?

Secondly, with the following in mind, what's a rough recomendations (assume I'll buy WD Reds for the storage drives)?
* Near silent
* As many drive bays as can be achieved (looks like 6 to 8 can be done)
* Preferably some VM support but might bend on that (if using VMs, I might go XPenology on a storage vm and OpenElec on the other)
* 1080p transcoding to anything
* Plex for media serving (and will be doing the transcoding)
* Reasonable power left over support for Sabnzbd+ and the other usual services...

The N54L is the answer to this, can hold 6 drives, is silent, and you can put sabnzbd on it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
N54L can't transcode for poo poo though right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fletcher posted:

N54L can't transcode for poo poo though right?

If the C2D laptop can transcode, then just leave it there as a transcoder.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's a bit more expensive than an on-sale N54L, but the Gen 8 Microserver should be able to transcode easily since the processors are of the Ivy Bridge family. I'd get the less expensive "Celeron" version. The only differences between the G1610T and the G2020T are 200MHz clock and a megabyte of L2 cache, which shouldn't make a significant difference for NAS-type tasks.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Isn't hotswap overkill for home use? I can live with my DVR being offline for 10 minutes while I put in an RMA drive. I'd rather take the savings and put it into more storage.

I'm leaning towards the R4 simply because my current NAS is the loudest piece of hardware I have; all my other systems are 120mm fans + SSD so 7 (very old) spinning disks make a racket. A case lined with sound dampening foam is really attractive to me.

In storage-oriented "fun", I'm in the process of, not really rescuing; more like rehabilitating a long-serving 6TB BTRFS setup. I let it fill up (zero allocatable chunks remaining, all writes done to partially-filled chunks) and stay there for about 16 months, with some minor churn as DVR'd shows expired and new ones were recorded. Basically, pathologically worst-case scenario for btrfs.

It came to a head a few days ago, when the free extent table was finally fragmented enough to not all fit in ram. At that point it basically exploded, locking all RAM with partial transactions and evicting every user process until the whole system crashed.

Current rehab process is picking a set of files to offload to free up a significant amount of space, then removing them one-at-a-time with a sync in between. The sync was to limit it to one-transaction-in-flight at a time, which while slow was still possible.

That accomplished, that freed-up space needs to be converted to un-allocated chunks, so a full balance run. As soon as that's done, it's time to find the worst-offender fragmented files (sqlite databases, mostly), defragment and mark them nodatacow.

I'm OK with the way it's worked out - I went very far down the highly-warned against "do not ever do this" path and can still recover from it. I think had I been running with the now-available online defrag I'd have never seen this issue. I had to move my DVR writes to a different disk, but while rebuilding I can still watch what I had previously recorded.

Realistically the 'fix' here is going to be double the disk space. Use btrfs-send to copy everything (with snapshots intact) to a fresh array of the same size, then wipe and add the current storage to that. For shits and giggles, throw in a SSD and try out bcache as well, see how well that works.

I could try ZFS but this old machine has about half the recommended RAM per tb for it. Even when I upgrade, I'm likely to be putting 12-14tb of storage on an 8gb server, which is below what they want. Has anyone pushed ZFS in the same kind of worst-case way? How does it handle lots of churn with no free space?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

spoon daddy posted:

If you are going to hit up ebay for a m1015, do note the m1115 uses the same chip and is cross flashable with the IT firmware. It also can be cheaper than the M1015 since most people just search for the m1015. I've got a M1015 and M1115 both working side by side in the same system using the same firmware.

Speaking of alternates, I'm assuming DELL/HP etc have versions of the same LSI card, what are their part numbers to watch ebay for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Harik posted:

Speaking of alternates, I'm assuming DELL/HP etc have versions of the same LSI card, what are their part numbers to watch ebay for?

Dell's is the PERC H200, but not sure about HP. It should be noted though that they have two versions (Integrated / Adapter, and Modular) - the former (which is usually just referred to as the H200) is what you want. The Modular version is pretty obviously different and not designed to fit into a PCIe slot, so even if the listing doesn't specify it's still very easy to tell.

E: Here looks like a list of cards based on the LSI controllers:

LSI Logic Cards

LSI9240 series use iMR mode (integrated MegaRaid)

LSI9240-4i Supports RAIDs 0, 1, 10, 5, 50 and JBOD
LSI9240-8i Supports RAIDs 0, 1, 10, 5, 50 and JBOD
LSI920x/921x series are LSI HBA / Fusion MPT 2.0 all in IR mode support RAIDs 0, 1, 1e, and 10, IT mode = passthrough only

LSI9200-8e
LSI9201-16e SAS2116 version
LSI9201-16i SAS2116 version
LSI9202-16e Dual SAS2008 controller using PCIe 16x
LSI9210-8i OEM version of LSI9211, vertical SAS ports
LSI9211-4i Horizontal SAS ports
LSI9211-8i Horizontal SAS ports
LSI9212-4i4e 1×4 SAS external port and 4x single internal SAS/ SATA 7-pin connectors

IBM SAS HBA’s

IBM ServeRAID M1015 similar to LSI 9240-8i but the ServeRAID M1015 does not support RAID 5 unless you add the ‘Advanced feature key’ to enable it
IBM ServeRAID M1115 newer version of the IBM ServeRAID M1015
IBM 6 Gb Performance Optimized HBA (46M0912) – LSI-9240-8i (SSD enhanced)
IBM 6 Gb SAS Host Bus Adapter (46M0907) – LSI 9212-4i4e – 4x Internal SAS 2/ SATA III and 1x 4 SAS 2 SFF-8088 external connector.

Dell Cards

Dell PERC H200 ships with IT firmware but seems similar to the LSI 9211-8i
Dell Perc H310

Cisco Cards

Cisco UCSC RAID SAS 2008M-8i

Fujitsu Cards

Fujitsu D2607 – Rebranded LSI 9211-8i ?

Oracle (Sun) Cards

SUN SGX-SAS6-EXT-Z (p/n 375-3641) – LSI 9200-8e (external connectors)
SUN SGX-SAS6-INT-Z (p/n 375-3640) – LSI 9211/10-8i (internal connectors)

Intel RAID Cards

Intel RS2WC080 looks identical to the LSI 9240-8i and IBM M1015, but supports RAID 5 and RAID 50 like the 9240-8i.

Intel Proprietary PCIe x4 Cards

Intel RMS2AF040 (Proprietary PCIe 4x)
Intel RMS2AF080 (Proprietary PCIe 4x) As above but 8 port

Hewlett Packard HBA’s

HP H220 Host Bus Adapter
HP H221 Host Bus Adapter (2x External SFF-8088 connectors)
HP H222 Host Bus Adapter
HP H220i Host Bus Adapter
HP H210i Host Bus Adapter

Supermicro Proprietary Format UIO Cards

SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8iR – 9240-8i spec’d but with 16MB cache and RAID 5 but no RAID 1E has IR firmware (UIO Card!)
SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8E – HBA version so most like a 9211-8i has IT firmware (UIO Card!)
SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i – LSI 9240-8i spec’d no RAID 5 but does have RAID 1E has IR Firmware (UIO Card!)

Lenovo RAID Controllers

Lenovo 67Y1460 is a barely re-branded LSI 9240-8i.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 25, 2014