Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've had the Bilstein/RCE combo for about 2 years now and they're nice, but I always wondered what the KV coilovers were like, since they're only a little bit more and adjustable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004

jamal posted:

If you are looking for a replacement street suspension there are not a lot of good options. The only way to get Bilsteins in the US is through RCE and they only make them for a few cars, and they are not usually in stock. RCE bilsteins and their springs to go along with them are usually one of my first suggestions and it costs about 1400 after shipping. Or for about the same you can get the KW V1s or ST coilovers.

The commonly available bilstein HDs aren't bad at all, and (at least for the 4th gen legacy) mate quite well with the STI pink springs for the same year. Not sure how well that applies outside the Legacy line though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It doesn't at all. They only make those for the 4th gen legacy. And they mostly fit on the 3rd gen. RCE makes them for the 08-13 Impreza and sti. There was talk of an order for GDs but I'm not sure what happened with that.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Starting to look like it's time to sell my WRX to help pay for a new car for my wife to drive. Apparently 2 car seats are hard to fit into the back of a mazda3 (1 rear facing, 1 front facing). That I just never drive the old girl anymore.

A-Train27
Feb 5, 2007

Metal...Goon?
Garbage?! Not my Tein control master flexs'! :saddowns:

Anyone try rebuilding them? I know Tein doesn't support it. I figure I rebuild them and sell them off.

Any suggestions for a decent track suspension? I have dreams of a 3.0l track 2.5rs. Or turbo'd, if I can get these drat regulations figured out.

Targa Newfoundland....one day.:pray:

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Jamal, what do you recommend for a 2000 Impreza 2.5rs 5MT as far as engine and transmission mounts go? Group-N? Whiteline? At 103k it seems a little early to be having the driveline slop that this thing has, but it has been 13 years.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Group N or if you don't want to spend that much stock mounts from a newish car can be found on nasioc and such for cheap. I can get the group n mounts but it is cheaper to go through subarugenuineparts.com. Just don't get a solid pitch stop because it makes a ridiculous amount of noise.

I would also do the shifter bushings while you're under there. I don't remember if that car still has an external return spring. If it does, you need to drill out the rivet on the u-joint and come up with your own solution from like mcmaster carr like I did. Or maybe the regular TIC bushings will fit. If you do have the internal centering spring you can upgrade to the new u-joint with pre-installed tic bushings for something like $80. IMO the bushings in the linkage are the most important part to replace, although the front and rear stay are cheap and easy and do make a difference.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

jamal posted:

Group N or if you don't want to spend that much stock mounts from a newish car can be found on nasioc and such for cheap. I can get the group n mounts but it is cheaper to go through subarugenuineparts.com. Just don't get a solid pitch stop because it makes a ridiculous amount of noise.

I would also do the shifter bushings while you're under there. I don't remember if that car still has an external return spring. If it does, you need to drill out the rivet on the u-joint and come up with your own solution from like mcmaster carr like I did. Or maybe the regular TIC bushings will fit. If you do have the internal centering spring you can upgrade to the new u-joint with pre-installed tic bushings for something like $80. IMO the bushings in the linkage are the most important part to replace, although the front and rear stay are cheap and easy and do make a difference.

Thanks! I'll do some research as far as the shifter bushings go.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

I'm looking to replace the front sway bar bushings on my 2008 WRX. It's a DD that sees spirited driving; recommendations? I've noticed there can be multiple sizes (18mm - 24mm) listed for the vehicle; short of measuring the existing ones is there an easy way to know the correct size?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The external return spring stopped in MY98.5ish on the Impreza, I think. It should be pretty easy to verify by taking a peek under the car at the shifter linkage.

Swapping to an MY02 transmission eliminated it for me anyway.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Anyone want a 2002 wrx?
Buy mine!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592437

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DON'T TEASE ME!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Post it on the Western Subaru Club forums and it'd probably go pretty quick. Nice bugeye!

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Frankenstein posted:

I'm looking to replace the front sway bar bushings on my 2008 WRX. It's a DD that sees spirited driving; recommendations? I've noticed there can be multiple sizes (18mm - 24mm) listed for the vehicle; short of measuring the existing ones is there an easy way to know the correct size?

edit: misread initially

iirc, they're 20/15 f/r, but I would take a quick caliper measurement just to be sure.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 21, 2014

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

toplitzin posted:

DON'T TEASE ME!

Its not a tease if I want you to buy it...

Also note 11k is the craigslist starting price, need to start high for the lameos

Posted on Western Subaru. Maybe some oilrich guy wants it instead of an import.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

blindjoe posted:

Posted on Western Subaru. Maybe some oilrich guy wants it instead of an import.

Wait, did Subaru get bought out by Ford while I wasn't paying attention? :v:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
In the 2003 impreza (blobeye so 2004 USDM I'm prettysure), is there any way to remove the cover thing that you can pull over the stuff in the boot of the hatch? I'm moving houses and it reall gets in the way, and I never use it, so I can't see the point of it. I can't see how it comes off though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

In the 2003 impreza (blobeye so 2004 USDM I'm prettysure), is there any way to remove the cover thing that you can pull over the stuff in the boot of the hatch? I'm moving houses and it reall gets in the way, and I never use it, so I can't see the point of it. I can't see how it comes off though.

Yeah, just push it gently towards one wall and it will slightly compress (it's spring loaded). Then work it out diagonally like a shower curtain rod.

If it wasn't for the cost of Australian shipping I'd also ask you to put it in a box and mail it to me, because I didn't get one with my car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I can't see the point of it.

Step your game up~

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, just push it gently towards one wall and it will slightly compress (it's spring loaded). Then work it out diagonally like a shower curtain rod.

If it wasn't for the cost of Australian shipping I'd also ask you to put it in a box and mail it to me, because I didn't get one with my car.

Thanks.

Say I could get it to you, what would you use it for? The only reason I can think of for having it is if you have something expensive in the back than you don't want people to see, which I'd take out as soon as possible or cover with one of the blankets I have in the back that I keep in there in case of hail, because at my old house I don't have any undercover parking.

VelociBacon posted:

Step your game up~

The Australian Male version of this is homemade strut bars and evo fins, with 20 or so pointless gauges around your dash like fuel:air and battery voltage. As well as lots of bullshit stories about how you "chop supercharged V8 holdens at the lights and drift better than silvias", with big "try me in the corner" stickers on both sides. I think I'll be OK to keep my game where it is.E: This is a 25 year old dude in his accent.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 22, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If I had to visit multiple stores in a row I used it to cover up the previous stores' purchases. It doesn't really have much use otherwise.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My 99 outback sport was rolled and before I scrap it, does anyone wan anything?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If I had to visit multiple stores in a row I used it to cover up the previous stores' purchases. It doesn't really have much use otherwise.

My mum was super anal about using it in her car for the 2 minute drive home to protect the milk in her camry. Can't see it being useful for much else.

Now that I can get rid of that thing and have a super spacious back end, the only other annoying thing to fix is the white/red tailights, hopefully I can find something aftermarket that lets me keep the foglight and reverse light without looking dumb like it does now.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

If your dash is black, the ashtray and the passenger side dash air vent.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DJ Commie posted:

That sucks man, hope everyone is ok. Does the top-of-the-dash pocket lid swap between a '99 Outback and a '99 Forester? Mine's broken.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manual 2000 Legacy, and the shifter is now getting a lot of lateral play. As in, put it into fifth and the shifter creeps all the way toward where 3rd gear is supposed to be.

That's bushings, isn't it? And are they particularly difficult or tricky on that gen of Legacy?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

harperdc posted:

Manual 2000 Legacy, and the shifter is now getting a lot of lateral play. As in, put it into fifth and the shifter creeps all the way toward where 3rd gear is supposed to be.

That's bushings, isn't it? And are they particularly difficult or tricky on that gen of Legacy?

On my friends RS he tried shifter bushings to solve lateral play and it fixed nothing. He had to replace the shift coupler to fix that. Mine actually broke in my bugeye and I didn't even notice a difference, it was replaced when my transfer case bearings were.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Wise Subaru thread, what do you think of this WRX?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/cto/4275940997.html

I have dreamt of a WRX since the early 90s. As luck would have it, I am probably about to move out of town and need a DD that can cope with snow. I'm no stranger to turbocharged vehicles or wrenching in general (I turboed my NA Miata and tuned it with Megasquirt without blowing up anything significant) but this would be my first boxer.

Pros: looks clean, seller can string a sentence together, price seems good

Cons: Seller wasn't the one who modded it, high miles(?), LOLEVO.

Thoughts?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

brosef deluxe posted:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

If your dash is black, the ashtray and the passenger side dash air vent.

Yes, black dash. I'll grab both, pm or email my djcommie at gmale.

Terrible Robot posted:

That sucks man, hope everyone is ok. Does the top-of-the-dash pocket lid swap between a '99 Outback and a '99 Forester? Mine's broken.

I put have that rare Forester compass/altimeter unit in there right now, but I have the lid still I think. I even have working springs/hinges on it! contact into above.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

saint gerald posted:

Wise Subaru thread, what do you think of this WRX?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/cto/4275940997.html

I have dreamt of a WRX since the early 90s. As luck would have it, I am probably about to move out of town and need a DD that can cope with snow. I'm no stranger to turbocharged vehicles or wrenching in general (I turboed my NA Miata and tuned it with Megasquirt without blowing up anything significant) but this would be my first boxer.

Pros: looks clean, seller can string a sentence together, price seems good

Cons: Seller wasn't the one who modded it, high miles(?), LOLEVO.

Thoughts?

Pros

06 best year (pistons not made out of cheese like 07+)
Tasteful mods
SPT all day
You seem not retarded

Cons
Millage

I'd get a compression and leakdown test and go from there.

I'd much rather have a higher miles stage 2 pre 08 car than a lower mile stage 2 post 08 car

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Pros

06 best year (pistons not made out of cheese like 07+)
Huh? Where's the source on this? Is this just for WRXs or does it also apply to STIs?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

Huh? Where's the source on this? Is this just for WRXs or does it also apply to STIs?

06 had alu front control arms

After 07 Subaru switched piston to something that will poo poo the ringland with a simple exhaust, to a point where the dealers have pictures of what a modified car ringland failure looks like and they are told not to warranty.

I don't have a link to verify but I have seen MANY 3rd gen wrx's fail and have mixed results with warranty. Jamal has also mentioned the piston change in this thread.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Subaru Decided that they would engineer a piston that would work perfectly for their cars AND meet emissions requirements. The new pistons are perfectly engineered to do both.

However, this 'perfect' engineering means that any departure from a stock setup means the pistons go boom. This is bad for us folks that like to do fun things with our cars.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

daslog posted:

Subaru Decided that they would engineer a piston that would work perfectly for their cars AND meet emissions requirements. The new pistons are perfectly engineered to do both.

Also, "hypereutectic pistons" sounds high performance and engineery

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not sure if we have any other UK goons with Subarus, but does anyone want the dampers I removed from my WRX? It's a 2006, so they're the inverted type. One of the rears is completely hosed (by my idiocy).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've seen plenty of completely pistons crack on completely stock cars. Like the friend at a dealership telling me about replacing a shortblock on an sti with like 800mi. On the other hand plenty of modded cars stay together. A big part is making sure the car doesn't get too hot or knock ever. A new radiator and good tune will go a long way.

Here is a pull on a stock 2014 sti:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561061

see all those dips in the torque curve? That's the ecu pulling timing because of knock. That was just one of the first results that came up on google and would have been done on 93. I've seen some that were way worse, especially using 91 found out west.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Good to hear that view of it - as that's what I understood too. I didn't hear anything indicating the pistons were actually a problem, but that the 07+ models had some serious issues with knock on the factory tune. I've had both 08 and 09 Legacies, but both tuned without issues.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

My friend has a 2008 STi that's completely stock that blew a piston ring and spun a bearing. Honestly though he beats on that car on cold starts. Also used Mobil1.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Entertaining the idea of getting a catback exhaust for my '13 WRX (hatch).

Should I go with a SPT, or Cobb? I'm looking for the least droney catback.

Jamal, could you get your hand on either of these? What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've only seen a couple of SPT exhausts up close and was really not impressed with the build quality. Cobb is nice but I don't carry their stuff.

That basically leaves the Invidia q300:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Invidia-Q300-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Titanium-Tip-Hatchback-Subaru-STI-2008-2011-WRX-2011

Well made, fits right, not as expensive, and uses a big muffler plus a resonator so it's not too loud. It is also the best choice if you want to later get a downpipe and tune because it is full 3" piping. The stock downpipe and donut will usually seal fine on a 3" flat flange but there is an adapter you can get.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 22, 2014