Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any recommendations for salt/pepper "dispensers"? I really like the look of these but $50 is a bit pricey: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CDP5UO/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does it need to be an all-in-one? I finally traded out my wood pepper grinder with the Unicorn Magnum and it owns. For salt I have a basic shaker for table salt and some others for different finishers.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Any recommendations for salt/pepper "dispensers"? I really like the look of these but $50 is a bit pricey: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CDP5UO/

Yeah skip the salt one and get the oxo pepper grinder for 20 bux.

Grinding salt is dumb. I have one I got as a gift though.

I need a new pepper mill actually. I want a Peugeot but the unicorn magnum is probably better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get a Peugot if looks is what you want. Get the Magnum if piles and piles of pepper are what you want.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Josh Lyman posted:

Ikea has some nice stuff for not a lot of money:

Salt & pepper shaker: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80233675/
Spice mill: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10152875/
Spice jar: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20152870/
Spice jar (I like these a lot): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40064702/

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Why can't I have both :(

I don't know how I feel about the fiddly little whole on the side of the unicorn either.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have Kuhn Rikon vase grinders and I really like them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I've never understood the point of a salt grinder--there aren't any oils or anything to be released in grinding salt right?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
/\/\ nope no point. Get the proper size I guess. I already have table, kosher and a million specialty salts though so why bother.

Cheap pepper mills are not worth the trouble. Unless you like spending an hour grinding to get enough pepper for a bowl of soup.

Get the Oxo at a minimum. Maybe there are some cheaper ones worth considering.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I've never understood the point of a salt grinder--there aren't any oils or anything to be released in grinding salt right?

For me it's a combination of two things. First, aesthetics. If I have my small pepper grinder (Peugots are really pretty) on the dinner table, it's nice to have something matching for salt. Second, texture. I like having kosher salt around for cooking with, but I don't really want to sprinkle it on everything and add that crunch all the time, when I'm seasoning at the table. So using the salt mill I can get the amount I want on the dish but only have to buy kosher salt.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

copen posted:

Why can't I have both :(

I don't know how I feel about the fiddly little whole on the side of the unicorn either.

I got the smaller of the two and the sliding ring that exposes the filling hole slides in the same direction as you turn to grind, which doesn't make much sense and did not please me. I ended up returning it (not for that reason, but because I decided it was too small and wanted the larger one) and the ring on the bigger one slides in the opposite direction of the grinding motion. It is perfect and as a black pepper fiend, I could never go back to an inferior one. It's pricey for what it is, but god drat is it the best ever.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

if you have to season at the table you've failed. :colbert:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Oh c'mon Grav, you know that some people cook for others who have no spice/heat tolerance and that poo poo needs to be doctored up before being consumed.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Or you have small children and often under-season purposely during preparation for their sake.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend lived with her mom for several years and the mom had high blood pressure, so they had to season things separately. It happens.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

trololol.

w/e many restaurants do not have s+p at table. A good cook should be aware of what they need to do for their diners and if there are sensitivities, adjustments should be made before service, which is what I do when feeding said people.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I would love to know how you make fresh pancakes in a microwave.

edit: Wow I guess you can, but they look terrible: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pancakes-in-a-Microwave-Oven

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Counterpoint

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

GrAviTy84 posted:

if you have to season at the table you've failed. :colbert:

I use a salt shaker mainly to salt toast because I usually just buy unsalted butter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking to buy a foodsaver type thing. Mainly I want it for packaging meat for freezing but might want to do some SV stuff later. Is there a standout model?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I am looking to buy a foodsaver type thing. Mainly I want it for packaging meat for freezing but might want to do some SV stuff later. Is there a standout model?

Any model will do.

If you get one of the nicer models with an accessory hose you can vacuum seal mason jars, which has many useful applications.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

I have the older model of this : http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/T000-18003.html#start=19&sz=12 - I really like the vertical form factor. I stash it in a nook between my toaster and a wall depthwise, and just pull it out in front of the toaster when I need to use it, using a drawer as my work surface. works great, actually using it tonight to seal up and freeze some bacon I cured into individual portions. It's great for stuff like that, or buying meat or cheese something in bulk where I only really want to use a certain amount before the rest would otherwise go bad. honestly I don't use it for much else though.

I'm well into sous vide as a technique, but the food savers are just a huge pain to use in reality for the application. the 'no liquids' thing is a HUGE dealbreaker - and even when I am doing something that is relatively dry (like a duck leg for confit or something), the unit is just not good enough at removing air - there is almost always a small enough pocket that will expand during cooking due to steam, etc - and the SV bag will float. really annoying. I've had a few broken seals too due to moisture getting sucked up into the sealing area, and preventing a good seal. I now seal 2-3 times when there's any moisture in the bag, just to make sure - but it's still a pretty big flaw.

one day I'll be crazy enough to lay out money for a chamber sealer, maybe...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GrAviTy84 posted:

trololol.

w/e many restaurants do not have s+p at table. A good cook should be aware of what they need to do for their diners and if there are sensitivities, adjustments should be made before service, which is what I do when feeding said people.

Yeah, that works out just loving swell when you eat family style and somebody needs a low salt diet.

What is it that makes you poo poo all over everyone who doesn't eat like you do? Why do you have to be a loving rear end in a top hat about something as normal as salt and pepper on the table? Jesus dude, can you get more pathetic?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

He's right though. Salt applied during the cooking process and salt applied at the table have totally different effects on flavor. If you have someone with a crippling food allergy, or serious hypertension issues that require a radically reduced salt intake, then the way to assure everyone has the best possible dining experience is to prepare a separate dish, or perhaps something entirely different, for the afflicted party – not to make a pile of bland food, and let the people without dietary issues make it bland and salty at the table. If your concern is not about providing the best possible dining experience then that's fine, but that's how gravity, and a lot of other people on this forum, approach preparing a meal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Third Man posted:

I need a nice non stick skillet for doing omelettes and other things that can stick, would the cuisinart multiclad nonstick be a good bet? Additionally, I'm generally a 4-egg omelette kind of guy, should I got for 8 or 10 inches?

I have the Calphalon Unison omelette pans and I really like them. I have the entire Unison line from Calphalon, I pick up all my pieces at the outlet store and stack coupons and sales to make the prices reasonable. For eggs I'm also a fan of the basic aluminum non stick pans from restaurant supply companies, but that's probably a byproduct of me working at Denny's for way too long when I was younger. They don't keep heat worth a poo poo though, which is a plus when you're frying over a thousand eggs in a morning.

For a 4 egger go with the 10 inch. I'm no gourmet or anything (hell I worked at Denny's for 6 years of my life) but 3 eggs worth of eggs is about all I like to put in the 8 inch. 4 or more go for the 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Unison-Nonstick-10-Inch-Omelette/dp/B004RIY4J4/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1390377406&sr=1-3

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 22, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, that works out just loving swell when you eat family style and somebody needs a low salt diet.

What is it that makes you poo poo all over everyone who doesn't eat like you do? Why do you have to be a loving rear end in a top hat about something as normal as salt and pepper on the table? Jesus dude, can you get more pathetic?
I don't know - you're the one who sounds like he's trying to be a bully on the internet. Sorry Gravity's opinions don't line up with yours.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

GrAviTy84 posted:

trololol.

So you're the sort of cook they joke about in chef school now who gets apoplectic when the proles dare season his masterworks? Check.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Kenning posted:

He's right though. Salt applied during the cooking process and salt applied at the table have totally different effects on flavor. If you have someone with a crippling food allergy, or serious hypertension issues that require a radically reduced salt intake, then the way to assure everyone has the best possible dining experience is to prepare a separate dish, or perhaps something entirely different, for the afflicted party – not to make a pile of bland food, and let the people without dietary issues make it bland and salty at the table. If your concern is not about providing the best possible dining experience then that's fine, but that's how gravity, and a lot of other people on this forum, approach preparing a meal.

So if salt applied during the cooking process is completely different from salt applied at the table, then that's even more of a reason to have salt at the table. Unless you believe there is absolutely no reason why anyone could possibly enjoy the different flavor they get that can't be replicated by salting during cooking.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr Executive posted:

So if salt applied during the cooking process is completely different from salt applied at the table, then that's even more of a reason to have salt at the table. Unless you believe there is absolutely no reason why anyone could possibly enjoy the different flavor they get that can't be replicated by salting during cooking.

That's what finishing salts are for and they're still applied before the table.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I could serve my mum a heaping bowl of salt and she would probably still ask for salt and salt it at the table. It's frustrating how ingrained the habit is with a lot of people.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
SERIOUS ABOUT SALT

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
If anyone ever asks for more salt for a meal that I've prepared I instantly start yelling and kick them out of my apartment.

How dare they have different preferences :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

If anyone ever asks for more salt for a meal that I've prepared I instantly start yelling and kick them out of my apartment.

p much what's going on in this thread yeah.

OMG YOU DISAGREE WITH MY SALT SHAKERS?! YOU'RE PATHETIC.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

I have the older model of this : http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/T000-18003.html#start=19&sz=12 - I really like the vertical form factor. I stash it in a nook between my toaster and a wall depthwise, and just pull it out in front of the toaster when I need to use it, using a drawer as my work surface. works great, actually using it tonight to seal up and freeze some bacon I cured into individual portions. It's great for stuff like that, or buying meat or cheese something in bulk where I only really want to use a certain amount before the rest would otherwise go bad. honestly I don't use it for much else though.

I'm well into sous vide as a technique, but the food savers are just a huge pain to use in reality for the application. the 'no liquids' thing is a HUGE dealbreaker - and even when I am doing something that is relatively dry (like a duck leg for confit or something), the unit is just not good enough at removing air - there is almost always a small enough pocket that will expand during cooking due to steam, etc - and the SV bag will float. really annoying. I've had a few broken seals too due to moisture getting sucked up into the sealing area, and preventing a good seal. I now seal 2-3 times when there's any moisture in the bag, just to make sure - but it's still a pretty big flaw.

one day I'll be crazy enough to lay out money for a chamber sealer, maybe...

Interesting, I was looking at [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]this one] mainly because it is flat enough to fit in a drawer, which is what most of my kitchen storage is. It also has an accessory port but idk what I would do with that. They have so many different models with very similar feature sets and wildly different price points.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

Interesting, I was looking at this one mainly because it is flat enough to fit in a drawer, which is what most of my kitchen storage is. It also has an accessory port but idk what I would do with that. They have so many different models with very similar feature sets and wildly different price points.

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...s=foodsaver+jar

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...s=foodsaver+jar

Vacuum stuff in mason jars with these things. Preserves spices a lot longer, preserves vegetables in your fridge for weeks instead of days, vacuum seal liquids

There's also this thing
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T02...saver+container

Which is good for marinating meat in minutes, vacuum-compressed fruit and preserving things that wouldn't fit in a mason jar

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 22, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Doh004 posted:

I'd totally do this. My food is perfectly cooked, it doesn't need salt, if you add salt it will suck, stop that.

Salt shakers are stupid, and if you need one at the table, you have failed as a cook.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
What do you guys do with people who salt things before they even taste them? Should you build in a salt deficit to ensure that your culinary vision doesn't get compromised?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Oh good lord, who loving cares. Just have salt and pepper available in case someone wants them and if they do, play the good host and don't give them loving guff for it. It's their goddamn food to eat, let them make it a loving salt bomb if they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

What do you guys do with people who salt things before they even taste them? Should you build in a salt deficit to ensure that your culinary vision doesn't get compromised?

No, you allow them to kill themselves via hypertension so as to not pass on those genes to the next generation. Natural selection and all that.

• Locked thread