Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You guys have dropped some good recommendations, I've already ordered a few.

I have read Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I have Dirk Gently, and I just forgot to mention those, but they fit the criteria well.

If anyone has any more recommendations, I'd love them. I'm building my reading list for this year.

You guys are awesome, by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

So I'm on a mystery kick lately, and enjoy detective fiction. But I prefer something different. Can anyone recommend me good mysteries with an eccentric detective, or one that has an unusual handicap/circumstance?

you might be interested in The City and the City by China Mieville. the mystery takes place in two cities overlaid over the top of each other where you can be walking in one city and there is a taboo against acknowledging the fact the other city is even there, even tho you can see them. definitely fits the unusual circumstances aspect.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, was really hoping to get a recommendation for a fantastic Cyberpunk book. I've really been itching for something in this genre and haven't read any in nearly two decades. What are the definitive books/series that I must read that I can't refuse. I have tried to read Neuromancer a few times in the past but never got far into it, that is not to say that I shouldn't get it another chance, but that's not likely where I'm headed right now. Also, I'm not afraid of epic series/trilogies either.

Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

CestMoi posted:

you might be interested in The City and the City by China Mieville.

That reminds me- add Jeff Vandermeer's Finch to the list, too... and I suppose Mieville's Kraken could work, as well.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, was really hoping to get a recommendation for a fantastic Cyberpunk book.

Snow Crash?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

DannyTanner posted:

Snow Crash?

Already read that, and loved it. I also read Anathem and found that to be very good, although extremely long.

edit: Looks like I also have to rescind my comment about not reading any for nearly two decades as I forgot about Snow Crash!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

So I'm on a mystery kick lately, and enjoy detective fiction. But I prefer something different. Can anyone recommend me good mysteries with an eccentric detective, or one that has an unusual handicap/circumstance?

The Boy Detective Fails fits your requirements I believe.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, was really hoping to get a recommendation for a fantastic Cyberpunk book. I've really been itching for something in this genre and haven't read any in nearly two decades. What are the definitive books/series that I must read that I can't refuse. I have tried to read Neuromancer a few times in the past but never got far into it, that is not to say that I shouldn't get it another chance, but that's not likely where I'm headed right now. Also, I'm not afraid of epic series/trilogies either.

Thanks!

Snowcrash is very good, and I actually prefer Gibson's Bridge trilogy to the original Sprawl trilogy, but I think I'm in a minority with that.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I think Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose counts as a detective in an unusual circumstance, since it's set in a medieval monastery and all the characters are monks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Snowcrash is very good, and I actually prefer Gibson's Bridge trilogy to the original Sprawl trilogy, but I think I'm in a minority with that.

Dang, that does look good! You may be turning me on to revisiting Gibson now that I'm much older. Aside from Gibson and Stephenson are there any other cyberpunk staples? I fell in love with Jeff Noon and his Vurt series in my teens but was also big into (light) drugs and counter culture at the time.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TraderStav posted:

Dang, that does look good! You may be turning me on to revisiting Gibson now that I'm much older. Aside from Gibson and Stephenson are there any other cyberpunk staples? I fell in love with Jeff Noon and his Vurt series in my teens but was also big into (light) drugs and counter culture at the time.

Oh man, I love Jeff Noon too. You might like Jon Courtenay Grimwood's stuff - British s/f writer of Noon's generation. I'm not sure how well it fits into the cyberpunk genre but it shares a lot of the countercultural themes. I'd go for 9tail Fox or reMix with him. Another is Michael Marshall Smith, who's now probably better known as a thriller writer. Spares and Only Forward are really good reads.

edit:
Pat Cadigan and Bruce Sterling are considered part of the CP canon too, but it's been so long since I read them that I'm not sure what to recommend.

One of the best stories that I consider cyberpunk is The Girl Who Was Plugged in by James Tiptree, Jr. It was written before the genre was defined in the way we understand it, yet it's still super relevant and ahead of its time.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 22, 2014

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Might be hard to find but Dreams of Flesh and Sand by W.T. Quick was an early cyberpunk novel I liked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ok, you've all got my brain going. I've been on a big fantasy kick the past few years and was wondering if there was any good cyberpunk/scifi series with fantasy elements which could include magic, medieval structures of rule, etc. Thinking there could be some really fun stories provided the author doesn't make them too gimmicky.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TraderStav posted:

Try Hardwired, by Walter Jon Williams.
http://www.amazon.com/Hardwired-Walter-Jon-Williams-ebook/dp/B005O5VR3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390418593&sr=8-1&keywords=hardwired

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TraderStav posted:

Ok, you've all got my brain going. I've been on a big fantasy kick the past few years and was wondering if there was any good cyberpunk/scifi series with fantasy elements which could include magic, medieval structures of rule, etc. Thinking there could be some really fun stories provided the author doesn't make them too gimmicky.

Tad Williams - Otherland

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

regulargonzalez posted:

Tad Williams - Otherland

Yup- started posting that and got distracted. Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun could work, as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. Will check them out!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

TraderStav posted:

The Petrovitch Series by Simon Morden is a lot of fun. Here's the link to the first three books on Kindle.

I know I am always recommending it, but it's a good read.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

You guys have dropped some good recommendations, I've already ordered a few.

I have read Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I have Dirk Gently, and I just forgot to mention those, but they fit the criteria well.

If anyone has any more recommendations, I'd love them. I'm building my reading list for this year.

You guys are awesome, by the way!

I don't think I've seen this recommended yet, but it really fits the bill: Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. Can't recommend this one enough!

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

The Continuing Time series by Daniel K. Moran is (opinion follows©) the best Cyberpunk I have ever read.

Emerald Eyes
The Long Run
The Last Dancer
The A.I. War

Also very good are the 2 books comprising one story by Daniel Suarez.

Daemon
Freedom ™

I also like the definitely Cyberpunk books by Gary Ballard:
Under The Amoral Bridge
The Know Circuit
If [Tribe]
The Long and Short Swords

My most obscure favorites are by Eric Gabrielsen
Gideon's Fall
Augment

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there any good fiction about solders or people in general dealing with PTSD?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I'm looking for something with pirates as the protagonists. My girlfriend has been on a major pirate kick lately and has been asking me if I know of any books other than Red Seas Under Red Skies, which I've suggested to her. I don't think she wants to read the first book in the series and just wants to jump straight into piracy.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

Kavingi posted:

I'm looking for something with pirates as the protagonists. My girlfriend has been on a major pirate kick lately and has been asking me if I know of any books other than Red Seas Under Red Skies, which I've suggested to her. I don't think she wants to read the first book in the series and just wants to jump straight into piracy.

I heartily (with a yo-ho-ho) suggest Now and Then by John Locke. This is book 4 in the series (but the only one with pirates) http://www.amazon.com/Now-Then-4-Donovan-Creed-ebook/dp/B003IWYY4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390525588&sr=8-1&keywords=now+and+then+locke

I really liked the whole series (The Donovan Creed series by John Locke).

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kavingi posted:

I would honestly recommend (Dover Maritime's translation, I think from 1969) Exquemelin's Buccaneers of America. It's nonfiction, but basically reads like a novel. It's super fascinating and actually sometimes funny. Also horrifying:

quote:

The buccaneers found nobody in the village but a poor ignorant simpleton. They asked him where the folks had fled. He said he did not know - he had not inquired. They asked whether he knew of any plantations; he said he must have been on twenty in his lifetime. Then they demanded whether he knew where to find the gold and silver of the churches.

Yes, he replied, and brought them to the church sacristy, saying he had seen all the gold and silver there, but he did not know where it was now. When they could get no more answers out of him, they tied him up and beat him. Then the simple fellow began to shout, 'Let me go! I will show you my house and my goods and my money!'

This made the rovers think they were dealing with a rich man who had pretending to be a fool. They unbound him, and he brought them to a hovel, where he had buried a few earthenware dishes, plates and other trash, together with three piece of eight. They asked him his name. 'I am Don Sebastian Sanchez,' he said, 'brother of the governor of Maracaibo.' Then they began to torture him anew, tying him up and beating him til the blood ran down his body. He cried out that if they would let him go, he would take them to his sugar-mill, where they would find all his wealth and his slaves, but when they untied him he was unable to walk. They flung him on a horse, but in the forest he told them that he had no sugar-mill, nor anything in the world, and that he lived on the charity of the hospital. This was true, as they afterwards discovered.

Again they took him and bound him, hanging stones from his neck and his feet. They burned palm leaves under his face, making it so sooty with smoke he did not look like a man, and they beat him violently. He died after half an hour of these torments. They cut the rope and dragged his body into the woods, where they left him lying.

It's a great book for anyone who likes pirates, unless they're averse to nonfiction.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Kavingi posted:

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini. It's a really weird feeling when you realize that this book is pretty much what gave us the Hollywood version of pirates...

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Tim Powers's On Stranger Tides is a fantastic pirate book that was somewhat ruined by being made into an official Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The book itself is awesome sans Jack Sparrow.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just want to say thanks again for all the detective novel recommendations. There were some cool gems, and I got a good reading list to start this year. Thanks everyone!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll show them to her next time she's over, and maybe look into a few myself.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm not at all well read and I'm an uncultured philistine who hates boring things*. I was thinking about checking out some of Hemingway's work. Any recommendations? Does it sound like I would actually appreciate it? I hear The Old Man and the Sea is a short one and it got some praise on the last page. I'm hoping my library has these things in.

*boring things to me includes Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, which I did not enjoy at all. I don't know if that is a good comparison for Hemingway?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

VagueRant posted:

I'm not at all well read and I'm an uncultured philistine who hates boring things*. I was thinking about checking out some of Hemingway's work. Any recommendations? Does it sound like I would actually appreciate it? I hear The Old Man and the Sea is a short one and it got some praise on the last page. I'm hoping my library has these things in.

*boring things to me includes Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, which I did not enjoy at all. I don't know if that is a good comparison for Hemingway?

If you haven't read much and are easily bored, I don't know that Hemingway would be my recommendation. Perhaps I'd recommend Animal Farm or Ender's Game, which are both really good and gripping books.
I guess I should ask what your reading goals are. Do you want to become better read and try to fill in the gaps in the classics? Are you trying to get into reading via some entertaining books?

e: maybe Charles Bukowski - Post Office

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

VagueRant posted:

What do you like? It's hard to recommend things to you based on what you don't like. I read constantly and I've never enjoyed Hemingway, despite revisiting his work at different stages in my life.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The Old Man And The Sea is going to probably bore you.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Chamberk posted:

Tim Powers's On Stranger Tides is a fantastic pirate book that was somewhat ruined by being made into an official Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The book itself is awesome sans Jack Sparrow.

Loved this book--very philosophical for a swashbuckling pirate adventure.

Any recommendations for fictional Mafia/organized crime novels besides The Godfather or Wiseguy?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

If you haven't read much and are easily bored, I don't know that Hemingway would be my recommendation. Perhaps I'd recommend Animal Farm or Ender's Game, which are both really good and gripping books.
I guess I should ask what your reading goals are. Do you want to become better read and try to fill in the gaps in the classics? Are you trying to get into reading via some entertaining books?

e: maybe Charles Bukowski - Post Office
I guess I'm trying trying to figure out what I like. And get a better understanding of what "good writing" is, expand those horizons, etc. I've never really read a fiction book that I thoroughly enjoyed, not counting stuff when I was a wee lad.

Chas McGill posted:

What do you like? It's hard to recommend things to you based on what you don't like. I read constantly and I've never enjoyed Hemingway, despite revisiting his work at different stages in my life.
Well, right now, I'm most of the way through the fifth book in the ASOIAF series. I like some of the story of the series and I think the author can be really good at writing action and occasionally clever dialogue, but it feels like you have to wade through a lot of filler. (Granted, these are ridiculously long books.)

I read Stephen King's Cell and I didn't care for it very much. The story didn't really go anywhere. But I did feel some emotional attachment to the characters and was genuinely sad when something terrible randomly happened to one of them. So that part was good, I suppose.

As with any medium, I like satisfying stories where Stuff Happens, I guess.

Everything else I've read (well, fiction, anyway), I barely remember and was unimpressed by. I told you I wasn't well-read!

Stravinsky posted:

The Old Man And The Sea is going to probably bore you.
drat. I assume his other books are similar or worse?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tonytheshoes posted:

Loved this book--very philosophical for a swashbuckling pirate adventure.

Any recommendations for fictional Mafia/organized crime novels besides The Godfather or Wiseguy?

James Ellroy's Underworld USA novels are my favorites, American Tabloid is the first one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

VagueRant posted:

drat. I assume his other books are similar or worse?

At the risk of greatly overgeneralizing, I'm going to say that by and large, authors considered literary or "great writers" are much more about mood and tone than about laying down lots of plot points one after another. Those types of stories tend to be what's considered "genre fiction" -- fantasy, science fiction, thrillers, detective stories, and so on. To further oversimplify, one might consider an analogy with music; pop music is the catchy, easily accessible stuff but it often lacks the depth or complexity of other genres. Let's say jazz. And to be honest, jazz bores me, I don't understand it. But I still recognize that John Coltrane's music is more complex than Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball, even if I can find the latter more immediately appealing. As one develops more as a reader or listener of music, the more straightforward stuff becomes less interesting and I'd definitely rather listen to, say, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon than a Lady Gaga record (and incidentally, DSoTM's poppiest, "catchiest" song is probably its least liked from that album among hardcore fans of their music). And if someone came to you and said they'd only heard a couple pieces of music in their life, none had really grabbed them, and asked where to start, you probably wouldn't recommend a Schoenberg 12-tone composition or Richard Wagner opera, you'd suggest The Beatles early stuff.

So for any famous literary-style authors you've heard of, they're probably famous for their use of tone, mood, and language rather than having amazing plots. The plot of something like Rabbit, Run would be ridiculous to summarize (a mediocre guy lives a typical life), but this is probably the first book where I consciously realized how much I loved reading it for the use of language. And don't get me wrong, there's plenty of genre fiction I like. I love A Song of Ice and Fire, and there's plenty of good stuff among genre fiction. It's just that this is where I'd suggest you start until you get bored of it. The Sherlock Holmes books are a great example of very readable but addictive and fun writing. Also my earlier recommendations of Ender's Game, Animal Farm, and Post Office (the last I wouldn't consider genre fiction, but it's maybe a good gateway into something not entirely plot reliant).

I'm concerned that the above sounds terribly condescending and it's honestly not my intent whatsoever. It is great you want to read more. I just think you'll have the most success with certain types of books now and branching out from there.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm concerned that the above sounds terribly condescending and it's honestly not my intent whatsoever.

Don't worry, it didn't at all. It's helpful, not condescending.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If you're really curious about Hemingway and aren't sure if you'll like him, his short stories are pretty rad and will give you a taste of what his writing is like. I especially liked The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Hills Like White Elephants (interesting annotations on that one, too), but I don't think you can go wrong with picking up any collection of them and opening at random.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

savinhill posted:

James Ellroy's Underworld USA novels are my favorites, American Tabloid is the first one.

D'oh! Thanks, I keep meaning to check those out. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Got an Amazon deal to grab these for 99 cents each: Crimes Against Magic (The Hellequin Chronicles, Book 1) and Born of Hatred (The Hellequin Chronicles, Book 2) by Steve McHugh, The Seventh Day by Scott Shepherd, and Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen) by Jeff Wheeler. Any worth reading?