Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Some Guy TT posted:

How strange. I watched the movie too but I also assumed it was just a boyfriend and not her husband. I wonder why. Maybe it's because married couples don't generally live on opposite sides of the planet for extended stretches of time. Shut up Safe Havens.

Comics (December 1st 2006)

Was college actually like that for anyone? I seriously can't ever remember getting anything academically helpful from another student.

Doonesbury

It was for me--a classmate of mine had a learning disability, so I helped clean up the grammar on his papers.

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- Welcome to the city, cousin Urpo! How are you?
- That grandma's chest of drawers, and the kitchen chairs

Mitä (sinulle) kuuluu? is a greeting that translates well into "how are you" and similar phrases, but literally it's more like "What is yours?" or "What belongs to you?"

"Hey, cousin Urpo! What's new with you?"
"That chest of drawers, and some chairs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 25, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Trust me, lady, that's a question you never want to ask in this strip.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 25, 1956)

Before you ask, this guy.

Out Our Way (April 18-19, 1924)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hoover Dam posted:

"Hey, cousin Urpo! What's new with you?"
"That chest of drawers, and some chairs!"

I considered "What brings you here?" but that would be changing the joke!! :v:

Fok_it

:siren: PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FOOTAGE :siren:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Winter Follies
In Which Our Dear Moominpappa Asks The Hard Questions Of Life.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Nope, I don't know either. :psyduck:
What, have you never been to a giant redwood forest? :confused:

In other news, is it just me or have we not seen Ham Shears recently?

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010

Woebin posted:

Agent X9 also featured Modesty Blaise, I think (or was she in Magnum? Possibly both). I never got into it as a kid though, always preferred Larson! with its Far Side and Foxtrot and whatever else it was running (I think Ballard Street was in there, too). This thread is what got me actually reading and following Modesty Blaise.

To be fair it probably didn't help that they were all translated into Swedish, and some dialogue just doesn't work when you do that. I wonder if the translator attempted to find any equivalent for Willie's accent? I should look this up.

Modesty Blaise was in Agent X9, last time I checked (I have no idea if the magazine is still published) it was pretty much it's flagship title. As for Willie's accent, I don't remember the translator giving him any.
I read Larson too when I was a kid. Which reminds me; I used to have the issues featuring the Bloom County story-ark which featured Opus and Cutter John on the Russian sub-marine. However, for some reason the translator replaced Opus name-dropping Rocky IV with The Hunt for Red October instead.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thorn (November 23, 29-30, 1983)

Nina's Adventures (April 7, 1995)

Obviously, since this comic came out nearly 20 years ago, that site is no longer online. It's not even on archive.org.

There's truth to the 5th panel. Back then, comic available online were displayed so tiny, many of them were hard to read. It's only fairly recently (like 5 years ago) that many sites began to show comics at larger size.

Lucky Cow (March 21, 2004)

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 22, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I like Fok_it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

Everett True
February 28 & March 1, 1918

You could support women's suffrage, Everett. That would DOUBLE the proportion of the population you could deliver vigilante beatdowns to!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Beeg posted:

Obviously, since this comic came out nearly 20 years ago, that site is no longer online. It's not even on archive.org.

1995...golden memories of 640x480 CRT monitors and the necessity of always saying "World Wide Web". :allears:

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane continues to be a huge loving prude in today's Jane's World

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Dragongem posted:

Hahaha, I love Classic Valiant. They need some weapons, so they just find the nearest knight and beat him up for his stuff. Suddenly, VIKINGS!

I agree, classic Valiant is amazing. Thanks for posting it, GorfZaplen!

I'd also like to thank SubNat for posting more Moomin. :3:

edit: I can't believe I misspelled Moomin :mad:

Tiggum posted:

Haha, I love Guran here. "Uh, Phantom, did you forget the secret part of your secret lair in the deep woods where no one is allowed to go?"

I admit, it's a little strange that he's just letting her wander around in there and take pictures of whatever.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 22, 2014

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

In other news, is it just me or have we not seen Ham Shears recently?

I think the thread got tired of it from that non-ending trial arc. As some one who really likes Ham Shears, that trial arc was just mind-numbingly slow.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Third Murderer posted:

I admit, it's a little strange that he's just letting her wander around in there and take pictures of whatever.

He's so smug and laid back about it that I'm figuring that he's removed the film or borked the SD card, so she's not getting any pictures.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress it, I'll get us caught up on Ham Shears. It updates like three times a week so one a day will get us caught up fast.

Ham Shears December 13, 2013

Also there's apperently a live tweet-a-thon with the creator of Ham Shears this friday at 1:30pm CT

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

"Sylvestor"

Calvin And Hobbes

Boomerangs is about "Jane Tinker, a recent divorcée and mother of two who suddenly finds herself a member of the new "Boomerang" generation when her financial situation forces her to move back into her parents’ home." It can't be worse than Dustin, and might have some Pickles sweetness to it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Adam "Sluggo" Carolla.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jane is being a bit hypocritical there. She's been with about every (female) character we've seen. No, it isn't that she is making out with someone, it's that she is making out with a GODDAMN MALE!
I tell you, these drat hetros will stop at nothing to corrupt our pure gay youth! :argh: Oh sure, her mother says " It's just a phase." but I know how these kind work! Now look, I'm not hetrophobic. My roommate, and co-worker(both the same) is hetro. Although honestly, the only reason I can stand it is because he is so inept and awkward that he has never managed to bring a lady home. I'm still not convinced he isn't slipping some dick when I'm not looking.

This is only the second male we've seen, isn't it? or at least, the only males that are interested in women.

VVV
Today's monty just proves that no matter how old you get, you can always laugh at a fart(noise) joke.
The second panel pause really nails it. Although, the last panel is too wordy. Would be better with " I told you not to buy the generic anymore"
or something like that.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Quick and dirty...

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

I know this is old but isn't 800 square feet a big apartment, cause I live in an house the same size with 6 other people, and 2 semi-regular guests.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's about 2.5-3 times the size of my 1 bed flat.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Either Ed has really lofty ambitions for his son or Steve Kelley shows he is out-of-touch again.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Elohssa Gib posted:

I know this is old but isn't 800 square feet a big apartment, cause I live in an house the same size with 6 other people, and 2 semi-regular guests.

Ed's disconnect from reality is showing again. In the urban east coast area of the US where I live (not NYC), a one bedroom apartment is about 550-650 square feet, which is still pretty fine for multiple people. Oh, and if it's in a not horrible area and is near a bus line, it'll cost ya somewhere above US $1750/month plus utilities.

[Edit to add about roommates.]

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 22, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Elohssa Gib posted:

This is the authors idea of poor. Wasn't it him that thought minimum wage was $12?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I don't know.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

In today's edition: Preteen spooning.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As a self-styled literatus extraordinaire I definitely believe the story of a sixteen-year-old boy loving a thirteen-year-old girl, and thereby causing six deaths, is one of history's great romances

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't notice it until Really Pants' comment, but the date on that is still 2013.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is only the second male we've seen, isn't it? or at least, the only males that are interested in women.

Are you Sure? Dunhhhh...Dunnnnnhhhhh...Threesommmmmme

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mister Beeg posted:

There's truth to the 5th panel. Back then, comic available online were displayed so tiny, many of them were hard to read. It's only fairly recently (like 5 years ago) that many sites began to show comics at larger size.

I love the art in this strip because it's such a perfect window to the 90's.
I mean, look at the shirt on that guy. I feel like I'm once more eating pizza with some friends, waiting for our turn at laser tag while Ren and Stimpy blares on a large screen made out of smaller TVs.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I feel like after a certain point, the boys would want to stop loving with grandpa and his crew.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

They're playing for keeps now. Wonder if anyone will have the sense to just keep their heads down and get the hell out of town once it gets quiet?

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Some Guy TT posted:

How strange. I watched the movie too but I also assumed it was just a boyfriend and not her husband. I wonder why. Maybe it's because married couples don't generally live on opposite sides of the planet for extended stretches of time.

It's not that unheard of for married couples to spend an extended amount of time separated, is it? It's not ideal, but it happens more than you think. A business opens up an office in a new region, and don't want to hire a bunch of strangers to run the place. Some people from the home office become permanent transfers, and some people are only needed there long enough to set things up and train the new people. Emigrant families often move piecemeal like that, too: one person goes first to establish a home, and the rest of the family joins them after a few months or years. Also some people have jobs in areas that no one would want to live in, but the money is fantastic, so they work and the family stays behind. Look at places like the Alberta oil sands--freezing, miserable, isolated: would you want to move your entire family up there for the six months of your contract?

quote:

Was college actually like that for anyone? I seriously can't ever remember getting anything academically helpful from another student.

Doonesbury

You never even so much as borrowed someone's notes? It was common for people to make photocopies of each other's notes, or study together before important exams. I even ghost-wrote a classmate's final paper with our professor's permission, because he was dyslexic.

Have some Rhymes With Orange

:3:

Hey, a cannibal joke that isn't racist! Go, Hil!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Hey, a cannibal joke that isn't racist! Go, Hil!

Yes Hil, please go and take your terrible dad-joke strips with you. (Not you, Bobbie, you can stay :D)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Li'l Abner GoComics Recon Report: It looks like you all were right to be skeptical. GoComics abruptly dropped the pig story a week or so ago, and from the sound of it they've already cycled through the same half-dozen random story lines several times already. As per their contract with whoever holds the rights to the Al Capp library of fine literature, they're only allowed to post what they're sent. To show you how how little they've been given, the turnip termites that everybody here couldn't stand in November also ran last January. Long story short, we might as well give up Shmoo hunting.

Anyway, that's not going to happen with Skippy or we would've reached that point by now. (September 27-29, 1926)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

It's probably been said before, but this comic would be 100 times better if there were no captions below the panels. Did the publishers mandate a certain amount of words back then, or is it just a chronic case of Buckleyboxes?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bobbie Wickham posted:

You never even so much as borrowed someone's notes? It was common for people to make photocopies of each other's notes, or study together before important exams. I even ghost-wrote a classmate's final paper with our professor's permission, because he was dyslexic.

When I went to school every class was either highly discussion oriented based on readings or the lecturer posted the notes online. If there were study groups I didn't know anything about them. But in all fairness I wasn't looking very hard.

Comics (December 4th 2006)

There's quaint dated references and there's I can't believe anybody ever considered that newsworthy in the first place.

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Mysteries behind the E/N subforum unveiled.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Well I can't say I've ever seen that particular version of the twist before.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Nipponophile posted:

Quick and dirty...

Never-before-seen photos of when Freddie Mercury and David Bowie recorded "Under Pressure."

• Locked thread