Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

If Mettenberger is healthy then he probably ends up rising through the second and is potentially on the bubble for Arizona's pick as bhsman said or even for a team to trade back into the end of the first to grab him, but since he's not, that won't happen. Plus, teams are more likely to roll the dice with Garoppolo or Carr at this point if they need someone to step in and start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Grozz Nuy posted:

There's always an expectation for QBs to get overdrafted, I guess. Hence why Jimmy Garoppolo is suddenly in discussion as a potential second rounder after being projected in the fifth a few weeks ago.

He showed up a month or so ago on some Browns QB watch lists. I asked about him in here, nobody really had anything.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Not sure, most draft sites have him graded out as the 6th best QB and CBS had him ranked as their 104th best prospect.

Grozz Nuy posted:

There's always an expectation for QBs to get overdrafted, I guess. Hence why Jimmy Garoppolo is suddenly in discussion as a potential second rounder after being projected in the fifth a few weeks ago.

Yeah, the over-valuing of QBs would have probably pushed him to the upper-mid first. If the Texans can't trade back from #33 or they don't expect him to fall to the third, I could see them grabbing him at the top of the second after Clowney, but it really depends on that injury.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Since Sidney Rice is as good as gone, the Seahawks are sorely lacking for a reliable tall WR who can win jump balls. Is Kelvin Benjamin worth taking the plunge on, or should I be praying for Jordan Matthews to fall to the end of the 1st round?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benne posted:

Since Sidney Rice is as good as gone, the Seahawks are sorely lacking for a reliable tall WR who can win jump balls. Is Kelvin Benjamin worth taking the plunge on, or should I be praying for Jordan Matthews to fall to the end of the 1st round?

Jordan still isn't in the top 3 on most lists, so there's a chance anyway between all the tackles, guards, linebackers, quarterbacks, defensive ends and defensive tackles that are projected in round 1. Lee, Evans, and Watkins are the top guys thus far.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
When Jadeveon Clowney runs a sub-4.55 40 at the combine all you NFL-loving goons who talk down about the college game are going to have to pick your jaws up off the floor.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Clowney runs a 4.4, the Raiders give up 4 firsts to move up

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That reminds me of my favorite draft story involving Megatron. People were skeptical of his 40 times at Georgia Tech (mostly because college measurements are notorious for being fudged) and he wasn't planning on running the 40 at the Combine, adding a bit of fuel to the fire. He ended up changing his mind at the last minute, borrowed shoes from someone else and ran a 4.35, making every scout go :stare:.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Benne posted:

That reminds me of my favorite draft story involving Megatron. People were skeptical of his 40 times at Georgia Tech (mostly because college measurements are notorious for being fudged) and he wasn't planning on running the 40 at the Combine, adding a bit of fuel to the fire. He ended up changing his mind at the last minute, borrowed shoes from someone else and ran a 4.35, making every scout go :stare:.
My favorite one about Megatron is where the Raiders selected Jamarcus Russell instead. :smithicide:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It begins...

@nfldraftscout
A quote on Logan Thomas from team source: "I can teach a guy to throw. I can't teach him to be 6'5", 250 and fast."

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ozu posted:

It begins...

@nfldraftscout
A quote on Logan Thomas from team source: "I can teach a guy to throw. I can't teach him to be 6'5", 250 and fast."

I want the Titans to throw a 5th round pick away on this guy. Mostly because of the play at 3:10 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAviOz5Hrkg

:getin:

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
If Logan Thomas fails as a QB does he have enough speed to make it as a TE or somewhere else on the field?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If Clowney runs a sub 4.5 I don't know how he'd go anywhere but #1. He won't run a sub 4.5.

Mettenberger was a first round prospect before the ACL tear. Bortles has taken his place as big QB big arm first rounder. Mettenberger can still easily go in the top three rounds.

Logan Thomas could pretty easily make it as a TE or even a WR. Here's the surprise position: DE/OLB. I think he'll be tried out as a QB for a while in the league. Either way he's too athletically gifted not to be given a chance to do whatever he wants.

This draft is projecting to be a lot like 2004 where you have three top QBs and a JP Losman who sneaks into the first.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Doltos posted:

This draft is projecting to be a lot like 2004 where you have three top QBs and a JP Losman who sneaks into the first.

Probably more like 2011.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Ozu posted:

It begins...

@nfldraftscout

As someone who's been watching Logan Thomas for 3 years now, the potential is there. He was absolutely on fire his first year starting, which coincidentally was when he had NFL level talent around him. He basically had to be the entire offense for the past 2 seasons when that talent graduated/got drafted.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Stevie Lee posted:

Probably more like 2011.

Yeah I saw that scout quote on Rotoworld and was wondering what the hell. This is nothing like the 2011 draft with the QBs. Also while this draft and 2011 both have a wealth of defensive and line talent, this draft is much deeper.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Accident Underwater posted:

If Logan Thomas fails as a QB does he have enough speed to make it as a TE or somewhere else on the field?

He definitely does so worst case scenario you have an emergency QB/H-Back

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ozu posted:

The Jets and Ravens have been drooling over Jordan Matthews. Might make a case for 2nd or 3rd WR off the board.

Weird, he's had a pretty poor senior bowl. The man struggles mightily with contested catches and doesn't have the quickness to get consistently open.

Great intangibles guy though.nJordan Matthews might love his mother more than anyone else in the draft.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Great intangibles guy though.nJordan Matthews might love his mother more than anyone else in the draft.

But is she a prostitute though? This is important.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ozu posted:

It begins...

@nfldraftscout

Can't teach speed

-Al by god Davis

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ozu posted:

It begins...

@nfldraftscout

Basically been my position on him for the past 2 years. He has physical talents you can't teach, and someone will reach on that potential. The 2011 season showed that when he has capable people around him he can be darn good. He's gonna get his shot at QB somewhere.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Basically been my position on him for the past 2 years. He has physical talents you can't teach, and someone will reach on that potential. The 2011 season showed that when he has capable people around him he can be darn good. He's gonna get his shot at QB somewhere.

I agree. The only issue is that he is just fundamentally broken as a QB and fixing it won't be easy. I'm not sure if it was a lack of talent or him trying to do it all by himself, but Thomas did not look good at throwing the ball for the last two years. I'm talking wide open receivers getting balls skipped to them in the dirt or blasted over their heads because Thomas doesn't know when to release the ball.

He's a massive project, massive. He looked good in 2011 but his entire game needs fixing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The scout that said Tahj Boyd was undraftable came from the Packers.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

The scout that said Tahj Boyd was undraftable came from the Packers.

The Raiders, led by Reggie McKenzie, a former personnel person and head scout of the Packers, apparently paid him the most attention on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, he kid is declared undraftable by a Packers' scout.

Tell me which one is a smoke screen.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Would it really surprise you if they both were true?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I am unreasonably excited at the thought that the Bears could potentially develop a QB prospect for once. With Trestman actually having a clue about the passing game along with Cutler under a long term contract, they have a chance to grab someone raw and sit him for a while. Boyd, Grappolo, I don't care, give me hope Emery!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zypher posted:

No, everyone is supposed to have a singular shared opinion on everything.

I do love smoke screens in January.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe they mean he's exempt from being drafted by the armed forces

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Better smokescreen other teams about our true intentions on Tahj loving Boyd

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Goetta posted:

Better smokescreen other teams about our true intentions on Tahj loving Boyd

what if someone takes him

where are we gonna find another speedy lardass

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Zypher posted:

Not at all. However, the Packers current regime has been generally poo poo at quarterbacks aside from the one time they got lucky.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tahj Boyd's ceiling is a more athletic Brad Smith

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Doltos posted:

Tahj Boyd's ceiling is a more athletic Brad Smith

Dude has the sidearmiest sidearm in the world. Every pass looks like Jake Plummer passing with his left hand.

That being said he did put up some incredible stats.

some_weird_kid
Mar 16, 2004

My popcorn is cautiously and provisionally RDY

Doltos posted:

Man all I see here is two slow players. Cyril Richardson looks bad bad bad and Donald looks standard. His get off is quick but not the greatest and his hands are active but aren't fast. I wan't to see better competition for him since Richardson looked awful in that gif. Donald's got great feet though, good churning.

I think this is likely because the first several frames of the gif seem to be slowed down, so no wonder they both look really slow! Donald's quickness off the snap is tremendous, and he frequently beat double teams this season by getting through the line before the second man could get over to block him. The second play in this highlight is one example of his crazy fast get off, but he was doing it regularly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25r8eN44yA

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I love Aaron Donald. He'd be a great fit in the Bucs 4-3 under Lovie. They don't need him since they still have Gerald McCoy but ugh he's such a good fit.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Does anyone have the link to the Google doc you guys put together? I search a few pages but this thread moves pretty fast.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

When Jadeveon Clowney runs a sub-4.55 40 at the combine all you NFL-loving goons who talk down about the college game are going to have to pick your jaws up off the floor.

The problem is that he needs 2 tanks of oxygen afterwards.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

some_weird_kid posted:

I think this is likely because the first several frames of the gif seem to be slowed down, so no wonder they both look really slow! Donald's quickness off the snap is tremendous, and he frequently beat double teams this season by getting through the line before the second man could get over to block him. The second play in this highlight is one example of his crazy fast get off, but he was doing it regularly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25r8eN44yA

Yeah those are better highlights you showed. I like his second back field blow up because that was a smart shove down on the RG and it shows how quick his feet are. I really, really like his feet. Guys who churn their legs like that always have long NFL careers. He could stand to put on more muscle though and his hands aren't the quickest.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

wandler20 posted:

Does anyone have the link to the Google doc you guys put together? I search a few pages but this thread moves pretty fast.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKG-aCJD3VxdDRGT2EtV3NxNWZWOF9iVWVTY0RxMlE&usp=sharing#gid=0

We should put this in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Freaking bewbies. I'm making the next draft thread for the combine unless he steps up his game.

• Locked thread