Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

you might as well look into a mirror and type dr faustus three times real quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Tempus Fugit posted:

I'm genuinely confused by this. Are there people out there who hear this and think, "Yes, that's the sound I'm after, this guy is clearly at the top of his game, sign me up." He flat out cannot play and his guitar sounds like poo poo. What gives?

It honestly sounds like one of those "so and so shreds" parody videos.

It's so bad.

edit: reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggRdFI

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dirt posted:

It honestly sounds like one of those "so and so shreds" parody videos.

It's so bad.

edit: reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXR9ggRdFI

The best of these vidoes will forever be the Kiss one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

I get this happen a lot when I show my guitars somewhere. It's always a guy and he's always over 40 and he's usually some sort of doctor/dentist/bank manager who's never played in a band and just noodles away in his office when he gets the chance. These people are horrible because they will fret-wank a guitar for 20 minutes then TALK AND TALK AND TALK about stupid 'tone' bollocks, tell you how awesome your guitars are, get seriously tempted then decide to "think about it because the wife will kill me" then go and buy a loving PRS instead because if it costs twice and much then it must be twice as good, right?? Arrrrrrgghhhhhhh!!!

Why the gently caress is that guy wearing magnifying lenses anyway? Maybe he's inspecting the nitro finish for pitting/'tone pockets'.

I'm just mad because I installed active pickups in a blues-dad's SG a few weeks ago, he brought it around earlier and the dense gently caress-end has messed up the wiring trying to 'fix his tone' even though I told him that installing active pickups would give him a super-clinical sound. At least I get to charge him twice I suppose.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

I get this happen a lot when I show my guitars somewhere. It's always a guy and he's always over 40 and he's usually some sort of doctor/dentist/bank manager who's never played in a band and just noodles away in his office when he gets the chance. These people are horrible because they will fret-wank a guitar for 20 minutes then TALK AND TALK AND TALK about stupid 'tone' bollocks, tell you how awesome your guitars are, get seriously tempted then decide to "think about it because the wife will kill me" then go and buy a loving PRS instead because if it costs twice and much then it must be twice as good, right?? Arrrrrrgghhhhhhh!!!

lol man, upsell.

whoa, alright. alright.. i don't usually show this piece off, but for your discriminating taste.. i'll be right back. oh this? yeah i could get in trouble for telling you this, but this is the same spec as mick fleetwood's private commission. i signed an nda, really i could get in trouble telling you this. but i can tell you won't be satisfied with anything other than the best.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm 40 and have played drums and bass since I was 15. I've been never been in a huge band but I've been around to know all the "types". I actually quit playing in the early 2000's beacuse I got sick of dealing with all the "Thread Winners" out there. I tried again in 2006 with a guy a met though a mutual friend. We didn't even get past the dicsussion stage becaue he handed me a set list that was full of obscure Deep Purple tracks and Yes songs. I told him that this isn't what a bard band would typicly play as crowds would get bored and demand he just play Ac/DC or similar. He looked at me like I had called his wife ugly and could not understand how no one would appreciate how hard the material was and the fact that we were doing the crowd a favor by playing it. I deleted his contact info after that.

I'm trying to learn a few string insturments now but I listen to the guys in the music store and value what they have to say because I know I don't know everything. So, chin up guys, there are 40 year olds out there who know that having a $5000 guitar with dick holes and horrible color doesn't make you a good player.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Zonekeeper posted:

The best of these vidoes will forever be the Kiss one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw5oJoUYTb8

wrong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_rsg2yvkw

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Holy poo poo, I'm dying. You win, I admit defeat.

Sill, there's plenty more amazing ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pJwFgX01Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0370zw11ck

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
nothing will top creed shreds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVswiiI_PmU

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 22, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

You sure you linked the right video? All I see is a normal Creed performance.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

lol man, upsell.

whoa, alright. alright.. i don't usually show this piece off, but for your discriminating taste.. i'll be right back. oh this? yeah i could get in trouble for telling you this, but this is the same spec as mick fleetwood's private commission. i signed an nda, really i could get in trouble telling you this. but i can tell you won't be satisfied with anything other than the best.
Haha, I probably should bullshit a little, but meh, the guitar business is skeevy as gently caress, I like to think I'm a shining paragon of virtue in a sea of large, bloated turds.

Bonzo posted:

I'm 40 and have played drums and bass since I was 15. I've been never been in a huge band but I've been around to know all the "types". I actually quit playing in the early 2000's beacuse I got sick of dealing with all the "Thread Winners" out there. I tried again in 2006 with a guy a met though a mutual friend. We didn't even get past the dicsussion stage becaue he handed me a set list that was full of obscure Deep Purple tracks and Yes songs. I told him that this isn't what a bard band would typicly play as crowds would get bored and demand he just play Ac/DC or similar. He looked at me like I had called his wife ugly and could not understand how no one would appreciate how hard the material was and the fact that we were doing the crowd a favor by playing it. I deleted his contact info after that.

I'm trying to learn a few string insturments now but I listen to the guys in the music store and value what they have to say because I know I don't know everything. So, chin up guys, there are 40 year olds out there who know that having a $5000 guitar with dick holes and horrible color doesn't make you a good player.

Oh yea, two of my repeat customers are in their late 50's and those guys are awesome. I guess a lot of the blues-dad's are having their mid-life crisis and a guitar is cheaper than a sports car.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Amidst subdued laughter it suddenly dawned on me. Not one of the clowns that made this video would have the balls to play any Zeppelin song in front of Page, Plant and Jonesy. This mustn't be considered as the channeling of Zappa-esque type humor, but rather merely the adolescent humor of a snarky snot nosed high school punk. Although it does garner a wee bit of a chuckle. BTW, I never made it past 1:15. I'm still pondering whether or not it was a short torrent of laughter, or the chili cheese dog I had for lunch paying me a second visit? Thanks for the grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izMuXBP6OA

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

Haha, I probably should bullshit a little, but meh, the guitar business is skeevy as gently caress, I like to think I'm a shining paragon of virtue in a sea of large, bloated turds.

haha it's just being a performer, man. what those guys are buying is a way to tell their friends, who know even less, that they got something cool

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

causticBeet posted:

Amidst subdued laughter it suddenly dawned on me. Not one of the clowns that made this video would have the balls to play any Zeppelin song in front of Page, Plant and Jonesy. This mustn't be considered as the channeling of Zappa-esque type humor, but rather merely the adolescent humor of a snarky snot nosed high school punk. Although it does garner a wee bit of a chuckle. BTW, I never made it past 1:15. I'm still pondering whether or not it was a short torrent of laughter, or the chili cheese dog I had for lunch paying me a second visit? Thanks for the grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izMuXBP6OA

rock and roll white knighting is the worst

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Declan MacManus posted:

rock and roll white knighting is the worst

No, I'm NOT pretentious. I merely have an opinion that YOU don't agree with AND I have the ability to string a sentence together. But in your six simple words you have removed all doubt that you're an infantile, spoiled little prick with a foul mouth. GROW UP!

Boys I think we found the thread kings youtube

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

causticBeet posted:

No, I'm NOT pretentious. I merely have an opinion that YOU don't agree with AND I have the ability to string a sentence together. But in your six simple words you have removed all doubt that you're an infantile, spoiled little prick with a foul mouth. GROW UP!

Bonus points for citing Zappa-esque humor as a good thing and not sophomoric misogyny

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that guy is my favorite thing on youtube now

quote:

(IMO and with all due respect) Mayer plays all the notes and plays them VERY well, whereas SRV channels the essence of the spirit of the blues.

quote:

My pivotal moment (without a doubt) was stumbling upon a pre-signed Allman Brothers Band in a house full of dazed hippies on Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL. Sitting in front of Gregs Wurlitzer for 3 hours and witnessing their eye contact/musical communication, a 13 y/o boy saw the light. I realized then that musicianship, listening to ALL those you're playing with, keeping one's ego in check and playing for the song, dwarfs posing. It was as if the universe opened, revealing itself. I'm grateful.

(he is also a libertarian)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh yea, two of my repeat customers are in their late 50's and those guys are awesome. I guess a lot of the blues-dad's are having their mid-life crisis and a guitar is cheaper than a sports car.

And a whole lot safer, too. My luthier is half my age and quite good at his craft, and a very pleasant fellow to boot. As it was Christmas and I was paying for some repairs and a ProCo Ratt, I tipped him 50 bucks. He told me that his "younger customers" never do that. Getting into my car, I did a "wait a minute, did he just call me an old man?"

So I sat in my car and cranked Goblin Cock until his windows shook for a few minutes.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

causticBeet posted:

its you

youre the thread king

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Harry in Rio posted:

And a whole lot safer, too. My luthier is half my age and quite good at his craft, and a very pleasant fellow to boot. As it was Christmas and I was paying for some repairs and a ProCo Ratt, I tipped him 50 bucks. He told me that his "younger customers" never do that. Getting into my car, I did a "wait a minute, did he just call me an old man?"

So I sat in my car and cranked Goblin Cock until his windows shook for a few minutes.

But Goblin Cock is ironic dadrock made by a fortysomething dude? I think you proved his point.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

BetterTasteThnU posted:

But Goblin Cock is ironic dadrock made by a fortysomething dude? I think you proved his point.

get off my lawn

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

causticBeet posted:

Is this guy some kind of meta-joke on Dr. Faustus?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Is this guy some kind of meta-joke on Dr. Faustus?

no, that's a dude from the yt comments about that heart shreds video

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harry in Rio posted:

This sounds like slang. Are you on drugs????

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

This sounds like slang. Are you on drugs????

usually

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6ZftaME0U

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

jessop jessop jessop

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

no, that's a dude from the yt comments about that heart shreds video

Aha, actual thanks to you. I was confused by a post on the internet.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

All that has been burned on I think. Someone spent hours and hours and hours of their life on this.

Why does it have a foot?

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here?

Uuuuhhhh...

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

that's your guitar white dog egG

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's a really terrible tribute to Jerry Garcia's Alembic:

Which might be ugly but I love Jerry too much to think so.

Also lol he looks like father christmas on the loving thing.

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012

White Dog Eggs posted:

All that has been burned on I think. Someone spent hours and hours and hours of their life on this.

Uuuuhhhh...

I want these for the soul reason of driving the rest of the band insane. It'll work too

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

Which might be ugly but I love Jerry too much to think so.

Also lol he looks like father christmas on the loving thing.

It was ugly. The Travis Bean was also ugly. The Gator sticker was stupid.

I still love China Cat Sunflower and St Stephen

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HollisBrown posted:

I think that shape looks pretty cool, is that bad?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

It was ugly. The Travis Bean was also ugly. The Gator sticker was stupid.

I still love China Cat Sunflower and St Stephen

Guitar in question:

Eh I don't think it's really "ugly" just kinda frankensteined, ehich I think looks kinda cool.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I had to look up the Travis Bean.....

Yup I always hated that guitar, never knew who made it

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

HollisBrown posted:

Guitar in question:

Eh I don't think it's really "ugly" just kinda frankensteined, ehich I think looks kinda cool.
Wonder how many tetanus shots that thing has required.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I want a custom R.E.M. guitar. But I really want their faces on it. Well, not their actual faces, but a representation of their faces that looks like somebody transferred their "likenesses" via silly putty from a low res newspaper photo.

OH! There it is:

Ah yeah! It's even on a Squire Strat with their autographs on a blue tinted white pick guard! Everybody loves that!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271375301887

$1000!?! What a bargain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
photograph? airbrush it
faded color? airbrush it
scratchy pencilstyle linework? loving airbrush it

• Locked thread