Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
So I've been reading Umineko, first started with the Manga then went to Chiru in Ep 6. Finished that, and it was fantastic. Think I've figured some stuff out, but whatever, I'm just gonna go along for the ride.

Starting episode seven and right off the bat WHO THE gently caress IS UROSHIMYA LION?

This loving game is so great. I guess I'll do Higurashi when I'm done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's actually sort of depressing, you missed out on all the great BGM in EP1-5!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Nate RFB posted:

That's actually sort of depressing, you missed out on all the great BGM in EP1-5!

Yeah, to be honest, I think I'll replay it because some of the music in Ep 6 was so great. It'll be great to replay it once I've finished it and gotten some answers because spotting delicious foreshadowing is my favorite past time. I think I've figured some stuff out but to be honest I'm starting to lose track of some of the mysteries so it's not completely helping me go back and reason out the unsolved stuff.

Also Erika is the best character.

ADullMin
May 3, 2013

by Ralp
That's a good idea because missing things in Umineko fucks up things a lot more than missing things in Higurashi.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, to be honest, I think I'll replay it because some of the music in Ep 6 was so great. It'll be great to replay it once I've finished it and gotten some answers because spotting delicious foreshadowing is my favorite past time. I think I've figured some stuff out but to be honest I'm starting to lose track of some of the mysteries so it's not completely helping me go back and reason out the unsolved stuff.

Also Erika is the best character.

You're in EP7, so this is basically your last chance to figure anything out. If you want to give the mysteries one last shot you should probably go do that reread now.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So I don't know if this has been posted already or not, but apparently Steins;Gate's official release, among others, is going to be based off of the fan translation.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Probably expected, that's the trend for cost-saving in this market nowadays.

What is more interesting/worries me is this particular message from Aroduc in the comments section.

quote:

"Fair enough. Not like it really matters since I scrapped the entirety of the fan work on Seinarukana and both are now in Jast Limbo."
Darn? I was looking forward to that game...

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So after watching the Fate/Zero anime I pretty much loved it, and figured that its about drat time I get to playing through Fate/Stay Night.

:eyepop:

Why in the hell didn't I play this earlier. I've gotten the true routes on Fate and Unlimited Blade Works, and on Heaven Feel I've just gotten past where you beat Berserker and Kotomine gets wrung like an old dishcloth, and besides the h-scenes and the loving laughable concept that drives all of them, this is probably my favorite VN so far. All the crazy plot twists in HF and UBW are just insanely well, and in UBW when I finally figured out Archer is future Shirou when Rin and Shirou see the same dream in the reality marble, I had to stop playing for a bit, have a scotch and just go :drat:. I have a feeling HF is going to end with Shirou being an anti-hero, as I kinda figured was foreshadowed a third of the way through, and I can't wait to see where this crazy rollercoaster is heading next.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My little bit of Heaven's Feel advice: when you get to the final day (Day 16) there will be a decision point with three options, one of which will be some variant of "Use a projection". Pick that option and follow the story to whatever proper ending (i.e., not a Bad End) you wind up with. Afterwards of course return to that decision point and pick something else. I think this delivers the best thematic experience for wrapping up FSN as a whole.

After you're all done, don't forget to go back and get all of the Tiger Dojos. Most are hilarious, and you get some bonus content if you get all of them.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 17, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

A few JAST releases in the past couple of years originated from fan translations, either with a former complete translation that got taken down or a project that got bought up as it was in progress. Demonbane, My Girlfriend is the President, and Saya no Uta are some examples. Hanachirasu, if it ever comes out, is another. Django seems to be the next Nitro+ game on JAST's list, and that would be their first Nitro+ game that didn't start from a fan translation (although the translator was originally planning on getting around to that eventually before he got hired by JAST).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

You're in EP7, so this is basically your last chance to figure anything out. If you want to give the mysteries one last shot you should probably go do that reread now.
I'd actually recommend waiting until after you've finished before rereading, just to see how ridiculously obvious every twist was in retrospect.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Early Umineko Ep 7 Reactions: :stonk:

Kinzo you sick loving bastard. Guess we know where Natsuhi's "son" came from!

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 18, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davzz posted:

Probably expected, that's the trend for cost-saving in this market nowadays.

What is more interesting/worries me is this particular message from Aroduc in the comments section.

Darn? I was looking forward to that game...

You really need to read Aroduc's site to track progress. He has a tendency of not posting numerical completion figures, as well as scattering progress information in posts discussing a variety of things. This section contains most of the posts with relevant information. In particular, I like this post. It's not the most recent, but it talks about the work involved in the various things he's translated over the years, including segments of some of the coding scripts.

In case you don't actually want to read that, I'll try and do a brief summation of the current project status here. The original tools and translation were mostly crap, so he dumped them. For example, parts of the script were in Katakana, which the tools couldn't extract, and I believe it was mentioned that there were machine translated segments. Still, new tools were eventually received and the script is almost or fully translated now. The things remaining are stuff like translating images and interface, debugging, inserting stuff back into the code, debugging, red tape, and debugging. Probably some other things too, but it's actually in good shape.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
World End Economica has been put onto Greenlight. It's written by Isuna Hasekura, who also wrote Spice and Wolf.

I did some searching through the thread, and apparently it had a bad translation or something. From what I can tell, there's a new translation patch on the MangaGamer store page, and if it means anything, the guys that put this up are the same people that put Narcissu on Greenlight.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I bought Sweet Fuse off of PSN earlier today and have spent the entire day so far (the last six hours) playing it. It has me completely hooked.

I really like how you can have the main character get mad and this will almost always have positive results. The protagonist has a very proactive personality. At the start of the game the main villain takes everyone hostage and he's all like "So who wants to be one of the seven players in my death game?" and she's all like "RIGHT HERE rear end in a top hat", she's apparently the only one that volunteered. The small amounts of gameplay available actively encourage you to speak your mind and provide input on whatever situation the characters find themselves in. There is a "get mad/restrain myself" choice that occurs many times throughout the game, but I'm more than halfway through and "get mad" has never once had a negative consequence, which I think is really cool.

I'm doing Mitarashi's route first and I really enjoy how I can pick the choices I want to pick and constantly get rewarded for it. It helps that he's also pretty loving moe too. Out of the six potential "targets" I like four of them, I'm sort of indifferent to the fortune telling dude, and the Yuki Kaji character is a Yuki Kaji character (youngest looking member of the cast, whines a bunch) so there's no helping that I guess.

EDIT

Oh man the Mitarashi route. so like, yesterday we nursed Mitarashi back to health, and today we find him up and about doing squats, so we're like "Do you still have a fever?" and he just leans into the protagonist's face and I'm like "H-hey, don't think I'm that easy!" while inside I'm all "oh god why does he have to be so awesome". So we check his fever and it's gone down (he teases the MC saying "Not sure if you're qualified to be judging body temperature when your face looks like a tomato.") and then this little kid hanging out in the room is like "You're not gonna kiss?" and I just lose it completely. I didn't think I'd ever like a playboy-ish type character other than Yuuya in Hatoful Boyfriend but this guy's such a bro while also being charming without being completely full of himself.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 18, 2014

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Little Busters is great! I've just started playing, and managed to hit #1 in the battle ranking deal at the first go, since Riki got firecrackers while Kengo got a toothbrush. I won by like 2 HP or something. I thought the fighting parts were just scripted jokes or something, this is blowing my mind. I shouldn't be this entertained, but oh well!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

klapman posted:

Little Busters is great! I've just started playing, and managed to hit #1 in the battle ranking deal at the first go, since Riki got firecrackers while Kengo got a toothbrush. I won by like 2 HP or something. I thought the fighting parts were just scripted jokes or something, this is blowing my mind. I shouldn't be this entertained, but oh well!

Why aren't you streaming it ;)

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Keep playing the baseball minigame! You get better stats if you don't skip it, and the field changes as you progress through the game. Make sure you don't ctrl skip through the common route after finishing a character route, either - use the provided autoskip feature. A lot of scenes are added to the common route after you finish other routes.

Top Gym Pumper posted:

If I remember correctly, the generic warning screen in the Japanese version (of Rewrite at least, and I think maybe LB too) had a warning stating not to stream the game or upload gameplay videos to websites. I found that particularly odd. I wonder if people uploading spoiler videos of VNs to nico is a big problem or something.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 19, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

If I remember correctly, the generic warning screen in the Japanese version (of Rewrite at least, and I think maybe LB too) had a warning stating not to stream the game or upload gameplay videos to websites. I found that particularly odd. I wonder if people uploading spoiler videos of VNs to nico is a big problem or something.

Not super uncommon but psssssh

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Top Gym Pumper posted:

At this point, i've hit so many goddamn cats that i'm going to have to stream just to make up for it. I was sick with the flu for a couple of days and my voice is still pretty shot so I can't do it tonight, but I suppose i'll call it for now and start up a stream tomorrow at, say, 6 PM? I'm only an hour or two in, so it shouldn't be all that bad.

On the other hand I kinda want to play some more, so maybe i'll just tough it out. Gimme like 10-15 minutes.

Spoggerific posted:

Keep playing the baseball minigame! You get better stats if you don't skip it, and the field changes as you progress through the game. Make sure you don't ctrl skip through the common route after finishing a character route, either - use the provided autoskip feature. A lot of scenes are added to the common route after you finish other routes.

Yeah, i've been having a lot of fun with the minigames! They've finally combined grinding and visual novels, so i'm basically set forever game-wise. I'll just replay this until the end of days. As for the streaming thing, I think that's probably not something they'll enforce in this case since it's just a small deal. Even doing Muv Luv the max viewer count I had was around 100, which i'd say falls squarely into the :effort: range legal-wise. And besides, getting sent to prison because of playing anime games on the internet is on my bucket list!

EDIT: Trying to get the stream going live, but i'm not able to hear anything on my end. It's up in the air whether or not livestream's just miraculously gotten better or if the stream's broken. Anyone want to come in and help me hash this business out?

klapman fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 19, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Suleman posted:

I finished Yume Miru Kusuri - The Drug That Makes You Dream.

Isn't this the VN where the protag and his love interest share a heartfelt confession while they both choke the poo poo out of some bully girl?

What are people's opinions on OMGWTFOTL? I played it recently and I can see how the translation is somewhat a product of its time.
Still, some lines are ridiculously quotable:

"Ask not what you can do for your country...
...ask what's for lunch."

"When I came to I was running into a US army base buck naked armed with a katana."

"Kennedy died of starvation! If I had never eaten all those steaks in Dallas, that poo poo might never have gone down! My bad, my bad, yo."

The freakiest part? It's a game with one non-sequitur after another. But if you play through it enough times, you realize to your horror that it starts to coalesce and make sense.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

klapman posted:

EDIT: Trying to get the stream going live, but i'm not able to hear anything on my end. It's up in the air whether or not livestream's just miraculously gotten better or if the stream's broken. Anyone want to come in and help me hash this business out?

Post a link

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Right duh, that's kind of important isn't it. https://new.livestream.com/accounts/1012054/events/2702609?help=true

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

What are people's opinions on OMGWTFOTL?
It's amusing in its non-sequiter...ness but even for short indie VNs, I have others that I prefer. Infinitely quotable but there's only enough time you can say "Genuflect (show some respect, down on one knee)" before it's run into the ground.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

After catching up with the thread I felt like maybe finally finishing Fate/Stay Night Heavens Feel annnnnnnd...

I realized at some point in the last 6 months I moved it to the hard drive that failed last month.

I had like 3 days left fuckkkkk me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

After catching up with the thread I felt like maybe finally finishing Fate/Stay Night Heavens Feel annnnnnnd...

I realized at some point in the last 6 months I moved it to the hard drive that failed last month.

I had like 3 days left fuckkkkk me.

Well I just finished it last night and holy poo poo is it awesome. Nate RFB's advice back up the thread to do the normal end and then the true end was also fantastic, thanks for that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Well I just finished it last night and holy poo poo is it awesome. Nate RFB's advice back up the thread to do the normal end and then the true end was also fantastic, thanks for that.

Thanks that helps a bunch :argh:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Aww. For some reason, those Livestream archives aren't working for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mederlock posted:

You don't have to follow what I said to get the Normal End first (you can always pick either option at the final decision point), but if you do what happens is not only are you locked into the Normal End but Kotomine doesn't show up at all, which makes his appearance during one's True End run have that much more impact.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

You don't have to follow what I said to get the Normal End first (you can always pick either option at the final decision point), but if you do what happens is not only are you locked into the Normal End but Kotomine doesn't show up at all, which makes his appearance during one's True End run have that much more impact.

No, you do. The flag that allows for the option to get either Normal or True doesn't turn on until you get the True End once. The rest is correct.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

I bought Sweet Fuse off of PSN earlier today and have spent the entire day so far (the last six hours) playing it. It has me completely hooked.

I got it a while ago myself, and I've been slowly working my way through Shirabe's route, he's such an amazing character. :swoon:

You're right, though, the whole cast is pretty cool. I even found myself liking the little poo poo after a while, which I still find kinda shocking given that I tend to hate that sort of character type. Probably my only complaint is that the puzzles are a little on the easy side all the way through, but I suppose that's not the main draw for most.

Edit: You're right, though, Mitarashi is great. He's such a total goon and thinks folks can't tell. :allears:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I read Sharin no Kuni, and it was alright. I liked the less serious parts with Sachi and Touka, but Natsumi was just annoying. I don't really feel like writing a whole thing about what I thought, but I will say that Hozuki made a fantastic antagonist.

The talk of F/SN up the page reminded me that I haven't read Tsukihime, so that's up next. Anything I should know about it going in?

After this, I'll finally be able to watch Carnival Phantasm, without worrying about not knowing the original material. Actually, thinking about it, I need to watch Fate/Zero since I finished F/SN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love Tsukihime a lot, but it's a lot more deliberate than F/SN. The most action-packed route has only two major fight scenes, and a couple don't even have any. It's a lot more about how having a weird power would gently caress with your perception of the world than it is about using that power to fight dudes. Bear that in mind when going into it from F/SN.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 22, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I think I preferred Sharin to G-Senjou but that's just me. I really liked G-Senjou but the routes in that game are so dumb.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I kind of prefer Sharin to G-Senjou too. I think Touka was the low point of Sharin, and the ending's a bit... anti-climatic in one sense.

But on the other hand, G-Senjou had so many things that rub me the wrong way for some reason, such as the extra moronic plot twist that isn't even internally consistent.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Going to be streaming Little Busters again tonight from 6 PM CST to 8 PM, and I also managed to get Hitbox working way better than my old Livestream way of doing things, and it's nicer in literally every way. Pretty sure you don't need an account to see it, the delay is less pronounced, and so far as I can tell the sound and video quality is improved. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and it's just so much goddamn better than Livestream, seriously.

Stream will be live here in 7 and a half hours: http://www.hitbox.tv/Klapman

e:

Suleman posted:

Aww. For some reason, those Livestream archives aren't working for me.

Don't worry about it, I was still coming down from the flu so the stream was mostly just me laughing at funny things. And from now on it shouldn't be a problem since Hitbox does it a bit better, I think?

klapman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2014

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

The talk of F/SN up the page reminded me that I haven't read Tsukihime, so that's up next. Anything I should know about it going in?

Not really. The game loosely enforces route order, so you can't go too far wrong. The most common recommended order is Arcueid, then Ciel, then Akiha - after that the order of the remaining routes is fixed.

Like F/SN, bad ends are worth getting. Unlike F/SN, there's no in-game list of them. If you're a completionist you'll probably need to go back with a walkthrough after finishing the game.

If you go on to the follow-up games afterwards, note that Alliance of Mystery Eyes should be played before Kagetsu Tohya.

Oh, and "NRVNQSR" is pronounced "Nero". Some people have trouble with that.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

NRVNQSR posted:

Not really. The game loosely enforces route order, so you can't go too far wrong. The most common recommended order is Arcueid, then Ciel, then Akiha - after that the order of the remaining routes is fixed.

Like F/SN, bad ends are worth getting. Unlike F/SN, there's no in-game list of them. If you're a completionist you'll probably need to go back with a walkthrough after finishing the game.

If you go on to the follow-up games afterwards, note that Alliance of Mystery Eyes should be played before Kagetsu Tohya.

Some of them are worth getting, a few aren't.

Definitely choose to "stay inside" when you're in a hotel room on the Arcueid route, choose to "live" when you're fighting in the Akiha route, and press the attack on the Kohaku route.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

NRVNQSR posted:

I always ignored the official pronunciation and pronounced it "Nervinquerser".

Thats a perfectly reasonable name for someone to have, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

It's sort of amusing how most of the obvious ways of referring to a certain character from Fate/Extra are ambiguous. Nero can also refer to Nrvnqsr Chaos, Saber Extra can also refer to Gawain, and Red Saber can also refer to Mordred.

• Locked thread