Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

duralict posted:

That's kind of badass. Although the game mechanics do make it really hard to take territory back from those guys once they start getting counties, so good luck ever doing much in the Levant.

Honestly, if you want to gently caress things up for the muslims, win a crusade and just give all of the land to the knights. I did it and its a load off my mind, I kept a couple of counties in there and just shove people I don't like over there, gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Seoinin posted:

Pisa can go to hell. Feels like any game where they aren't stomped on hard, they go nuts all over the Mediterranean.

Yeah, I've noticed that Pisa pretty much always comes out on top, but them vassalizing most of Iberia in one fell swoop was 100% my fault.

dogstile posted:

Honestly, if you want to gently caress things up for the muslims, win a crusade and just give all of the land to the knights. I did it and its a load off my mind, I kept a couple of counties in there and just shove people I don't like over there, gently caress em.

I can't reccomend this, for the exact reason I just stated: Knights holding a ton of land means that if somebody other than them wins a crusade, they can start blobbing hard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I granted a bishopric to a jewish courtier without really thinking and now there's a temple in one of my provinces. Will it revert back to a bishopric when he dies or will another rabbi be magicked into existence?

On the plus side, since there's no head of religion all the tax money goes to me.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I have determined that maybe the most sociopathic thing you can do in this game is capture a child in a siege, keep them imprisoned and educate them in your culture/religion, release them once they come of age, then invite them back to your court.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DStecks posted:

I can't recommend this, for the exact reason I just stated: Knights holding a ton of land means that if somebody other than them wins a crusade, they can start blobbing hard.

Yeah, but they're blobbing way over in muslim territory. I have literally only seen them get into europe once and that was because Brittany was taken over by muslims.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

dogstile posted:

Yeah, but they're blobbing way over in muslim territory. I have literally only seen them get into europe once and that was because Brittany was taken over by muslims.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The issue isn't that the knights are blobbing. The issue is that a crusade victor gets to vassalize them for free, and thus takes on the pre-existing knightblob. And the crusade victor is usually already a realm that's starting to blob; vassalizing the knightblob can make their momentum unstoppable.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jellycat posted:

I have determined that maybe the most sociopathic thing you can do in this game is capture a child in a siege, keep them imprisoned and educate them in your culture/religion, release them once they come of age, then invite them back to your court.

And after that you can marry them to someone. :eng101: You can also give them some horrible teacher (bad stats, possessed, etc.) if they are an heir which is always entertaining.

By the way should I be concerned if the Ilkhanate decides to reform Tengri?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

OHHH!!! So that's what it is. I never had a clue and really never took the time to scrutinize it.

and Brave is a peasant facing a dragon.

...took a lot of squinting for me to see it the first time, but that might be a resolution thing I guess :shrug:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

monster on a stick posted:

And after that you can marry them to someone. :eng101: You can also give them some horrible teacher (bad stats, possessed, etc.) if they are an heir which is always entertaining.

Concerned about how cool that will be if you export it to EU4, maybe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

monster on a stick posted:

If you are not in Western Europe or Africa you should be concerned, yes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why is reformed Tengriism such a threat? in my restored Roman Empire campaign reformed Tengri is probably the second largest religion and Hungary is a huge Tengri blob. They haven't messed with me at all even though my vassals take bites out of their territory every once in a while.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

jellycat posted:

Holy crap, you can educate kids you've imprisoned? I had no idea! This will definitely change my relations with my neighbors...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

well crap. My MA keep dropping like a stone in my Norse game and I suspect it's because due to my LCA my vassals keep loving things up.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Having an actual system for hostages would be great.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Trauma Tank posted:

So, I'm currently playing a random-gen shattered world and have become the Shia Caliph Sultan of Mauretania. A couple of years ago I imprisoned one of my wives because she tried to poison my First Wife, and now I get this:

(Click for big)

The other options are, from top to bottom:

Sultana Faghissa: Caliph Ziri: Is executed. I'm not sure if this means my wife the prisoner, or me the person sending myself a letter gets executed.

Gain 323.4 gold and release the prisoner. This is the one I chose and just gave me free money for no cost.

Or just threatening myself to not send any more letters to me.

Gotta love some of the little bugs in this game

I never even got the choice not to turn down my own suggestion to make myself the Chief Qadi

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So I'm currently playing a duchess under the king of England. A few years ago, in the Create-A-Faction drop-down menu, there was a greyed-out faction, whose name I couldn't remember, that was basically "I am holier than you therefore I should be king/queen now," which required 500 piety to start. I'd never heard of such a thing. Well, I went ahead and became a Paragon of Virtue and now have about 650 piety and the "the Holy" epithet, and the King still has around 100 piety, but the option for that faction doesn't exist anymore.

My suspicion is that it was greyed out not because of piety but because I didn't have Sons of Abraham, but I still can't figure out why it would vanish entirely. I couldn't find any info on this faction on google; what's the deal?

I'm still on the "lower crown authority, switch to elective, and get elected" plan in the meantime, but that's going to take three more factions, not to mention winning an election, and that's a lot of work.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DStecks posted:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The issue isn't that the knights are blobbing. The issue is that a crusade victor gets to vassalize them for free, and thus takes on the pre-existing knightblob. And the crusade victor is usually already a realm that's starting to blob; vassalizing the knightblob can make their momentum unstoppable.
But if, say, the Templars were already my vassals, and another Crusade for Jerusalem just got called and I was pretty confident I could win it...?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

So I'm currently playing a duchess under the king of England. A few years ago, in the Create-A-Faction drop-down menu, there was a greyed-out faction, whose name I couldn't remember, that was basically "I am holier than you therefore I should be king/queen now," which required 500 piety to start. I'd never heard of such a thing. Well, I went ahead and became a Paragon of Virtue and now have about 650 piety and the "the Holy" epithet, and the King still has around 100 piety, but the option for that faction doesn't exist anymore.

My suspicion is that it was greyed out not because of piety but because I didn't have Sons of Abraham, but I still can't figure out why it would vanish entirely. I couldn't find any info on this faction on google; what's the deal?

I'm still on the "lower crown authority, switch to elective, and get elected" plan in the meantime, but that's going to take three more factions, not to mention winning an election, and that's a lot of work.

Sounds like the new "Antiking" faction that you can form if your king has set up an antipope, which deposes both your liege and the antipope and sets you up as king with the Pope's blessings. It should be available outside of SoA, but only if your king has an antipope. The antipope probably died or something in the time it took you to get your piety up.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The first two crusaders I got were basically counter-crusades to take back Francia but after that the Knights of Santiago took the whole of Iberia while the Knights Templar took Jerusalem. Nothing can dislodge either one of them it seems, not holy wars, not counter-jihads.

Looks to be a common occurence reading this thread.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Main Paineframe posted:

Sounds like the new "Antiking" faction that you can form if your king has set up an antipope, which deposes both your liege and the antipope and sets you up as king with the Pope's blessings. It should be available outside of SoA, but only if your king has an antipope. The antipope probably died or something in the time it took you to get your piety up.

Ah yes, that's exactly what it was. Thanks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So I'm fighting a big civil war as the Norse king of Scotland when I receive word that the Sunnis are calling a jihad for Syria. I was pretty embroiled in my own business so I didn't check out what was going on over there and just assumed the Byzantines had taken some land and were about to get spanked. A few years later, my civil war is over and I hear that the Jihad has failed and "God doesn't favor the Sunni faithful" etc etc "in their war against Sultan Akbar the Wise of Egypt." A jihad against the Sultan of Egypt? Cool, he must have converted to Christianity, and him successfully defending himself against a jihad is even better, however...

Yup. This guy somehow converted to Judaism and has evidently been so for some time. All his vassals are Jewish and about 2/3 of his land is as well, all with no interference on my part. He's already claimed the Kingdom of Israel and I'm strongly considering using the console to make that his primary title, but at the same time, a Jewish King of Egypt is also funny.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Pakled posted:

Yup. This guy somehow converted to Judaism and has evidently been so for some time. All his vassals are Jewish and about 2/3 of his land is as well, all with no interference on my part. He's already claimed the Kingdom of Israel and I'm strongly considering using the console to make that his primary title, but at the same time, a Jewish King of Egypt is also funny.

Suck it, Pharaoh!

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I wish I could have seen my own face when the Mongols first invaded. I had started as Sviatopolk Rurikovich in Zaozerye and was having a merry old time ruling the Russian empire, having taken control of the entirety of Rus, Ruthenia, Volga Bulgaria, Perm, and Poland. My realm was as wealthy and stable as you can get, my ruler was a genius with a genius heir, and everything was great. Of course I ignored those pop-up messages that regularly came up talking about hash smokers and crusades. The Mongols are coming? Okey dokey, thanks for letting me know. Click.

Then the doomstacks appeared. My jaw literally dropped and I sat there, gaping helplessly at the screen, as the Mongols rolled into my dojo and wrecked my poo poo. That's when I realized that Paradox does not gently caress around.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clochette posted:

I wish I could have seen my own face when the Mongols first invaded. I had started as Sviatopolk Rurikovich in Zaozerye and was having a merry old time ruling the Russian empire, having taken control of the entirety of Rus, Ruthenia, Volga Bulgaria, Perm, and Poland. My realm was as wealthy and stable as you can get, my ruler was a genius with a genius heir, and everything was great. Of course I ignored those pop-up messages that regularly came up talking about hash smokers and crusades. The Mongols are coming? Okey dokey, thanks for letting me know. Click.

Then the doomstacks appeared. My jaw literally dropped and I sat there, gaping helplessly at the screen, as the Mongols rolled into my dojo and wrecked my poo poo. That's when I realized that Paradox does not gently caress around.

Pretty solid recreation of the Rurikovich experience circa 13th century, imo.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I'm currently farther into a game than I've ever gone before, in 1297 from the Old Gods start date. It's also freezing all the time now. Is the Mac port just kind of lovely? Bootcamp has always been option, I've just always played from OS X because there's never been any difference in performance and dual booting is a little inconvenient.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Excelzior posted:

and Brave is a peasant facing a dragon.

...took a lot of squinting for me to see it the first time, but that might be a resolution thing I guess :shrug:

Temperance is the only one I don't get. It looks like a member of the Ghostbusters deploying a trap.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

arhra posted:

Edit: Also, that tiny chunk of France enclaved within the larger Aragon in Iberia? For some reason, that one province is Swedish-cultured, and has been since at least the early 12thC or so. :psyduck: (side note: there are two Aragons. Right next to each other. How is that even possible).

Don't think I saw this replied to; the answer is that one is the Kingdom of Aragon and the other the Duchy or County of Aragon. Usually for obvious reasons it doesn't happen much but Perm is somewhat notorious for being the name of two or even three separate realms at once.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Temperance is the only one I don't get. It looks like a member of the Ghostbusters deploying a trap.

I thought it was a flower blossoming from hard rock ("needing very little to strive")

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Reveilled posted:

I think it's a leash tied to a post to represent restraint.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 23, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I spent thousands of gold and killed countless bishops to get my genius son elected Pope at age 20. Now that he's the most powerful man in all Christendom, he doesn't seem to respect me anymore. When he isn't leading Crusades around the Levant, he's demanding I fork over provinces to fuel his reign. Last year, my son invited me to a feast so I could be arrested and humiliated.

Where did I go wrong?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 23, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
In my current game I used the leader creator to create an awesome Welsh Zoroastrian and started in the Old Gods start in the Duchy of Armenia. In 50 years I conquered almost the entire middle-east, most of the Byzantines, and everything around the Black Sea. I'm currently Saoshyant Emperor of Persia, and gave the Kingdom of Persia to the Immortals. Pretty cool, game.

That is to say, the Longbow retinue and leader creator are OP.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh. Finally got the MA of Norse up to over 50, but seeing my dumbass Jarls and Chiefs are going to tank it (and I built a poo poo ton of temples) - I ended up breaking down and cheated the piety requirement.

Now if I can get those chucklefucks to stop trying to install someone on my throne for twenty minutes, I can finally take over Denmark and form an empire.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Mister Adequate posted:

Don't think I saw this replied to; the answer is that one is the Kingdom of Aragon and the other the Duchy or County of Aragon. Usually for obvious reasons it doesn't happen much but Perm is somewhat notorious for being the name of two or even three separate realms at once.

Yeah it's pretty common to have two of any of the Iberian kingdoms (Leon, Castille, Galicia, Portugal/Portucale, and Navarra) because there are duchies and kingdoms that both have that name. I think Perm and Arabia are the only ones that can have three (Perm has a county, ducal and kingdom title, Arabia has a ducal, kingdom and imperial title). But you never actually see three Arabias because the only time the AI ever manages to form it is under Muslim rule so it would show up as Fatimid or something instead, under the Muslim naming conventions. Perm, though...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

QuoProQuid posted:

I spent thousands of gold and killed countless bishops to get my genius son elected Pope at age 20. Now that he's the most powerful man in all Christendom, he doesn't seem to respect me anymore. When he isn't leading Crusades around the Levant, he's demanding I fork over provinces to fuel his reign. Last year, my son invited me to a feast so I could be arrested and humiliated.

Where did I go wrong?

Just do what I do. If you can't kill him, kill someone he loves.

Crusader Kings: Making Sociopaths since 2012.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really don't think I'm ever gonna top the time I started killing Bishops for fun, because I was bored, they were ahead of my guy in the next election, and churchmen are easy to kill.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm getting to the point where I think that holy orders just shouldn't be able to earn crusade warscore, because 80% of the time the result is a big unkillable crusader state where nothing interesting ever happens again.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm getting to the point where I think that holy orders just shouldn't be able to earn crusade warscore, because 80% of the time the result is a big unkillable crusader state where nothing interesting ever happens again.

Wasn't the Pope's original plan for the conquest of Jerusalem that it would basically be a theocratic vassal state? Of course, absolutely none of the Byzantine Emperor's or Pope's plans were successful in real life. Maybe if a holy order wins the crusade, the kingdom just becomes a Catholic theocracy, or is annexed to be part of the Papal states outright.

I haven't had the "Holy Orders Win All Crusades" problem personally, though it's irritating that in the Alexiad start date the Pope 100% of the time immediately calls a crusade for Greece rather than Jerusalem. In my current 1066 Norse game a Catholic Serbian Duke won the First Crusade :psyduck:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

QuoProQuid posted:

Where did I go wrong?

You spent too much money and spoiled him. Back in my day, we had to spend our own gold AND kill the entire college of cardinals personally to be elected. All while fighting off two jihads.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Spiderfist Island posted:

Wasn't the Pope's original plan for the conquest of Jerusalem that it would basically be a theocratic vassal state? Of course, absolutely none of the Byzantine Emperor's or Pope's plans were successful in real life. Maybe if a holy order wins the crusade, the kingdom just becomes a Catholic theocracy, or is annexed to be part of the Papal states outright.

I haven't had the "Holy Orders Win All Crusades" problem personally, though it's irritating that in the Alexiad start date the Pope 100% of the time immediately calls a crusade for Greece rather than Jerusalem. In my current 1066 Norse game a Catholic Serbian Duke won the First Crusade :psyduck:

I'm playing what started out as Duke of Antioch and wound up Orthodox emperor of Persia, and the Catholics only came up with the idea for Crusades a solid century after the Tengri and Shia. They've never actually called one because the only remaining crusade targets for Catholics are the single-county Fatimids in Lisbon, who weirdly can still call up 30k troops.

Orthodoxy's on the verge of wiping out Islam altogether, although everything north of the Byzantines and east of Bohemia is a big old sea of Reformed Tengri now. EU4's going to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I present, as my game draws to a close, the ugliest drat borders I've ever seen.

Highlights include: Pisa everywhere. Scattered rump states of Tartaria, the Byzantine Empire, and the Golden Horde. Bits of Ireland in random places. hosed-up France. Nubia in Arabia. Holy Roman Greece. loving Lotharingia.

Things you can't see: Orthodox Christianity is dead. Romuva and Norse paganism are dead, with Suomensuko on the way out. Shia Islam has almost entire usurped Sunni Islam. And of course, everything within the borders of the former Soviet Union is Tengri.

• Locked thread