Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah yes, the poison lake filled with poison animals, the best place for lawyers to swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's quite relaxing tbqh. It's a salt water lake so you're buoyant as gently caress.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can I just swim in the ocean instead?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The two answers to my inquiry were "England" and "Isle of Man."

When I was writing the question and trying to envision replies, the snide voice in my head suggested Sark. So I feel like we more or less got there by way of triangulation.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Good news: found a great apartment in DC, about to start new gig and pretty excited about next chapter of my life.

Bad news: My clinic client is dead. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/us-usa-execution-texas-delay-idUSBREA0M03B20140123

It's. A feeling. Not my favorite feeling.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Like a dozen or so of my clients from the last 2 years are now dead. Most violently, though not really at the hands of the state (one shot by the cops if I recall correct). You get used to it I guess :smith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I want to hear more about this poison lake full of deadly animals

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I want to hear more about this poison lake full of deadly animals

There aren't really any animals in there at all aside from the jellyfish. It's a marine lake that was left on one of the islands out there when the oceans receded. Somehow a group of jellyfish got stuck in there. After all the fish had died, they evolved a symbiotic relationship with some algae or something that they bring up from deep water to the shallow parts for light. Since they weren't hunting for food anymore, they lost their stingers. So there's this smallish isolated lake that has basically nothing in it but millions of jellyfish ranging in size from smaller than your pinkienail to around the size of soccer balls. I don't remember the specifics of why the water is toxic beyond a certain depth, but I remember all sorts of warning signs saying not to dive in the lake.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There aren't really any animals in there at all aside from the jellyfish. It's a marine lake that was left on one of the islands out there when the oceans receded. Somehow a group of jellyfish got stuck in there. After all the fish had died, they evolved a symbiotic relationship with some algae or something that they bring up from deep water to the shallow parts for light. Since they weren't hunting for food anymore, they lost their stingers. So there's this smallish isolated lake that has basically nothing in it but millions of jellyfish ranging in size from smaller than your pinkienail to around the size of soccer balls. I don't remember the specifics of why the water is toxic beyond a certain depth, but I remember all sorts of warning signs saying not to dive in the lake.
This sounds like the premise of a short story trying to mimic the style of Hemmingway but set in Palau, or maybe a C-grade horror flick.

I approve. Quick, a goon move there so I can know if it's one or the other!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's above the law, but I'm actually rather proud of one 3L at my alma mater right now: http://abovethelaw.com/2014/01/3l-in-charge-of-alumni-giving-encourages-unemployed-3ls-not-to-give/ For reference, the school went through 3 directors of career services in three years, one of whom was hired into the position straight out of 3L. The school couldn't hire a qualified person to head the office, but they did do a multimillion dollar renovation that dramatically upped the building's granite and marble content.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's above the law,

Gotta love that the story ends with this:

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Soylent Pudding posted:

It's above the law, but I'm actually rather proud of one 3L at my alma mater right now: http://abovethelaw.com/2014/01/3l-in-charge-of-alumni-giving-encourages-unemployed-3ls-not-to-give/ For reference, the school went through 3 directors of career services in three years, one of whom was hired into the position straight out of 3L. The school couldn't hire a qualified person to head the office, but they did do a multimillion dollar renovation that dramatically upped the building's granite and marble content.

If I had any money, I'd send it to that 3L.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Mr. Nice! posted:

... I don't remember the specifics of why the water is toxic beyond a certain depth, but I remember all sorts of warning signs saying not to dive in the lake.

It contains hydrogen sulfide, which can be absorbed through the skin, at levels 8 times higher than the recommended maximum. There's a chemical layer that separates this from the upper ~45 feet of water, which is perfectly safe.

Also, every once in awhile you get a jellyfish whose sting is not completely gone, but just mostly gone, so it feels just a little tingly, though not painful at all. And they're not gooey or anything, they feel like a combination between velvet and rubber. It's the underwater equivalent of a kitten pile.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
e::argh:

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is so frickin' cool.

The lake is also one of about 200 meromictic lakes - that is, the layers in the lake don't periodically mix.
Because it doesn't mix, the lower layer (below 50 feet) has no oxygen.
Because it has no oxygen, the top of the lower layer is home to oxygen-hating photosynthetic bacteria.
But doesn't photosynthesis create oxygen?
Usually, but these particular bacteria use a slightly different photosynthetic process, which creates sulphur or sulfide instead of oxygen.
The sulphur forms hydrogen sulfide - which is poisonous to humans and can be absorbed through the skin.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

mastershakeman posted:

Ah yes, the poison lake filled with poison animals, the best place for lawyers to swim.

Wikipedia tells me that you have to pay $100 for a ten day pass to swim in this lake, too. Somehow the fact that you have to pay to swim in the poisonous lake full of (only slightly!) poison animals - and that you run a nonzero risk of being eaten by a saltwater crocodile when you do - seems to fit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was at first taken aback, but there does indeed seem to be crocs in Palau. All the more reason Palau owns.

Also there are a ton of tours that take you to jellyfish lake. I went on an all day snorkeling tour that cost like 35-40 bucks.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was at first taken aback, but there does indeed seem to be crocs in Palau. All the more reason Palau owns.

Also there are a ton of tours that take you to jellyfish lake. I went on an all day snorkeling tour that cost like 35-40 bucks.

I live in Chicago. I have a poison lake I can jump in for free any time I want. And internet.

Seriously though, a guy I went to law school with works in the PD's office in Palau and the couple of pictures/videos he's posted on Facebook of the island are absolutely gorgeous.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
The few crocs there are are usually coastal, not inland, and the $100 price was a recent thing (it was $35 until last year.) It got raised because there was a need to limit the amount of people that could visit, and it was either the price raise or a cap on #/day, and they didn't want to have to tell anyone that they absolutely couldn't go.

Best way to do Palau is to get 3-4 people together and get a private boat to take you to the spots you want to hit, it's like $500 total for the day, so about $125 a piece (without whatever fees for attractions, i.e. extra $100 now for the jellies).

Kayaking the lagoons is the best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Abugadu posted:

Kayaking the lagoons is the best.

This is the truth.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
But which suits should you wear when eating tacos on your island?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Abugadu posted:

It contains hydrogen sulfide, which can be absorbed through the skin, at levels 8 times higher than the recommended maximum. There's a chemical layer that separates this from the upper ~45 feet of water, which is perfectly safe.

Also, every once in awhile you get a jellyfish whose sting is not completely gone, but just mostly gone, so it feels just a little tingly, though not painful at all. And they're not gooey or anything, they feel like a combination between velvet and rubber. It's the underwater equivalent of a kitten pile.
This is fascinating stuff, thanks

I realize this probably reads like sarcasm but it's not

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

echopapa posted:

Seersucker, of course

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is fascinating stuff, thanks

I realize this probably reads like sarcasm but it's not

Yeah, I was screwing around, but that actually is really interesting.

To read. Or maybe watch through tank glass. Not to swim in. Jellyfish gross me out like crazy

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

echopapa posted:

This is another concern

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Are there exotic ties?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

echopapa posted:

Probably Suitsupply.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Are there exotic ties?

https://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=217

:awesome:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Actually, that brings up a really good question. Are there tacos on the island? I mean, I can make myself tacos, but that doesn't really count...

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The jellyfish and toxic water are one thing. But contestants from Survivor have been in that lake. I don't know if I'd be okay with that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Actually, that brings up a really good question. Are there tacos on the island? I mean, I can make myself tacos, but that doesn't really count...

That is what I meant with my quot above, but the awful app.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Arcturas posted:

Godfather's in Saipan has Taco Tuesday, where you can get a taco for a buck. It's not a great taco, but it's a taco nonetheless.

I would be very surprised if Palau had tacos.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

echopapa posted:

I would be very surprised if Palau had tacos.

Sounds like an opportunity to avoid practicing law.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

nm posted:

Like a dozen or so of my clients from the last 2 years are now dead. Most violently, though not really at the hands of the state (one shot by the cops if I recall correct). You get used to it I guess :smith:

I've had 2 clients commit suicide. One client killed himself in his home and they only discovered him like 2 months later after his dog had eaten him and also died. I now tell clients to please call me once a week to let me know they are still alive. When clients laugh, I say, "That's not a joke".

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Torpor posted:

I've had 2 clients commit suicide. One client killed himself in his home and they only discovered him like 2 months later after his dog had eaten him and also died. I now tell clients to please call me once a week to let me know they are still alive. When clients laugh, I say, "That's not a joke".

One of the guys my office was prosecuting for molesting his daughter sent us a thank you note before killing himself. Something along the lines of "thank you for relieving me of this heavy burden." That was morbid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Excuse me, I believe we were talking about tacos

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In Palau you could go spearfishing and make fresh fish tacos daily.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Jellyfish tacos?

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009
So I earned a 4.0 during my first semester at Georgetown and I'm still struggling to find an internship. The one small firm that I seemingly did well interviewing with just emailed me back to tell me there are no longer interested in hiring summer interns. Any insight at all into finding internships in the DC area besides using symplicty or talking to OCS

Does Palau PD take summer interns?

Glow Sticks fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 26, 2014

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I don't know about Georgetown, but at my school, OCS was clutch for 1L positions because they got requests directly from all the various/weird organizations that want to take on unpaid interns. OCS wasn't helpful for firm-type jobs 1L summer, but very few firms were even hiring 1L summers in 2011 (and I didn't have a 4.0 or anything anyway). A lot of 1Ls also got jobs from a couple intern-specific job fairs in February-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Glow Sticks posted:

So I earned a 4.0 during my first semester at Georgetown and I'm still struggling to find an internship. The one small firm that I seemingly did well interviewing with just emailed me back to tell me there are no longer interested in hiring summer interns. Any insight at all into finding internships in the DC area besides using symplicty or talking to OCS

Does Palau PD take summer interns?

How many applications have you sent out? 1L year* I had two dozen out before finals started and five dozen out by Christmas. It's almost February. The time has come to hustle.

It's not too late to find a small-town DA or something in Maryland. Maybe an RA position? Hell, get in irc and we can talk.

*In the interest of full disclosure, it was a much more competitive year back then, and I expect that there's more gold in the hills than I would have had.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 26, 2014