Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Razzled posted:

What is the appropriate way to take B site from Apartments as T on Mirage? I always have to push push push my team to check van fast and push out window at the same time, not sit around in apartment letting them rotate. Is there a more vetted method?
Counter smoke balcony, and get out of apps as fast as possible. Fighting on balcony or in the apps just causes a bottleneck that is easy to cut down. Counter smoke to cut off CT vision, get the hell into the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Is a sensitivity of 2.5 ingame at 900dpi considered high?

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Cowabanga posted:

Is a sensitivity of 2.5 ingame at 900dpi considered high?

That's a 7.27 inch/360, which is definitely high.

Cut your ingame sensitivity in half (14.5 inch/360), play some deathmatch to get used to it, and see how much your aim improves.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
That's 7.3 inches/360 which isn't outrageous, but most of the people that care enough to post about sens in this thread will tell you to shoot for ~12 in/360

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I run like... 0.8 at 1600 DPI to get a 12" 360. :haw:

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
All this hack chat p. much confirms that you all hack. I knew it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

DareToSlack posted:

That's a 7.27 inch/360, which is definitely high.

Cut your ingame sensitivity in half (14.5 inch/360), play some deathmatch to get used to it, and see how much your aim improves.

Well, there goes all my muscle memory to waste. Do I gradually decrease my sensitivity in certain time periods until I hit my desired point or do I just drop my sens to 1.25, suck it up and get used to it?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Cowabanga posted:

Well, there goes all my muscle memory to waste. Do I gradually decrease my sensitivity in certain time periods until I hit my desired point or do I just drop my sens to 1.25, suck it up and get used to it?

I was running a comically high sensitivity and was able to adjust pretty quick by just straight dropping it. I think I went from a 2 or 3 inch 360 to a 12.8.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Cowabanga posted:

Just drop it. Your current settings are low enough that you're still using your arm to aim instead of just your wrist, so it shouldn't take much to get used to. Turning 180 or whatever will be a little more effort, but tracking those headshots should feel much easier pretty quick.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

DareToSlack posted:

Just drop it. Your current settings are low enough that you're still using your arm to aim instead of just your wrist, so it shouldn't take much to get used to. Turning 180 or whatever will be a little more effort, but tracking those headshots should feel much easier pretty quick.

Alright, thank you. I just read about how you should use your mouse's native DPI, so I dropped it to 800, and set my in-game sens to 1.5. That's 13.6 inches, shouldn't be too bad, yeah?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Cowabanga posted:

Alright, thank you. I just read about how you should use your mouse's native DPI, so I dropped it to 800, and set my in-game sens to 1.5. That's 13.6 inches, shouldn't be too bad, yeah?

Mine is 19.5 inches per 360, and some people have it even lower than I do

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Razzled posted:

What is the appropriate way to take B site from Apartments as T on Mirage? I always have to push push push my team to check van fast and push out window at the same time, not sit around in apartment letting them rotate. Is there a more vetted method?

If you're playing Valve Mirage you should probably never go B.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a slime posted:

I wonder why you couldn't make a hack that just intercepts packets between the client and server and fixes the direction you're aiming. Completely undetectable to VAC, and if you were running CS:GO inside a VM and intercepting packets on the host it would literally be undetectable by anything

edit: if you sell a cheat that does this you owe me some of that dirty money

I've often wondered this myself. Its not like anybody bothers to encrypt game data, its not feasible. So all that poo poo is sitting there going across the wire just begging for a man-in-the-middle.

I think I read somewhere awhile back that it had been done in a few rare cases.

gently caress, that'd even get around Blizzard's warden and poo poo. Although I bet really paranoid companies like MMO servers would do some kinda security checks that you'd have to reverse engineer.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zaphod42 posted:

I've often wondered this myself. Its not like anybody bothers to encrypt game data, its not feasible.

How is this not feasible?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

astr0man posted:

It doesn't seem clear from the patent that that's what they're doing, that sounds like the VAC heartbeat which only really ensures that VAC is running. But I wouldn't be surprised if it grabs a key from VAC and at least appends a hash of the message contents to each packet.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah I wasn't talking about the patent, I meant that it is entirely feasible to encrypt your game's network traffic.

edit:

RadioPassive posted:

I'm not very knowledgeable on how these things work, but would a potential middle-man hack like this introduce detectable latency time between intercepting the packets and re-transmitting them? Or something?
No

astr0man fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 22, 2014

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I've often wondered this myself. Its not like anybody bothers to encrypt game data, its not feasible. So all that poo poo is sitting there going across the wire just begging for a man-in-the-middle.

I'm not very knowledgeable on how these things work, but would a potential middle-man hack like this introduce detectable latency time between intercepting the packets and re-transmitting them? Or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

astr0man posted:

Attaching a hash is pretty cheap, but fully encrypting every bit of data over SSL is gonna make latency way worse.

I guess it depends upon the situation with modern hardware, with a small private server you could maybe do it, on LAN it'd work I guess. But certainly if you're playing like Battlefield with 64 people in europe or if you're like on a Diablo 3 server with a couple thousand people, its gonna be tricky.

Especially in an FPS context where every ms counts. On an MMORPG you can get away with way more latency. I guess that's why most MMOs are RPGs? I wonder if Planetside 2 is fully end-to-end encrypted...

Encryption is pretty expensive all things considered.

I could be wrong, but last I checked some games still used loving UDP. Latency is everything.

I'll take a look at some CS:GO packets after work and make sure I'm not crazy here. :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 22, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Games do use UDP (including source engine stuff), and in this situation no you would not want to use something like SSL.

RTP is used for VOIP, but its a good example of how to easily and cheaply encrypt UDP traffic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Real-time_Transport_Protocol. Basically, you would use RSA or something to do your key exchange initially when the client connects to the server, and then after that all of your UDP packets are encrypted with AES or whatever other cheap cipher you want, using the keys that you exchanged at the initial connection time.

And no, source engine games don't do this, so it's not really relevant to CS.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

But can the NSA still see my sick 360 noscope headshots?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jeoh posted:

But can the NSA still see my sick 360 noscope headshots?

Somewhere, somebody is getting paid to watch all your 360 noscope headshots.

And he is not impressed.

astr0man posted:

Games do use UDP (including source engine stuff), and in this situation no you would not want to use something like SSL.

RTP is used for VOIP, but its a good example of how to easily and cheaply encrypt UDP traffic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Real-time_Transport_Protocol. Basically, you would use RSA or something to do your key exchange initially when the client connects to the server, and then after that all of your UDP packets are encrypted with AES or whatever other cheap cipher you want, using the keys that you exchanged at the initial connection time.

And no, source engine games don't do this, so it's not really relevant to CS.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to read about that, cool protocol. But yeah, not CS.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I made a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f-QYOdwtEg

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Nice one with the guy in T Lobby, 2 shots at his back.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Cerepol posted:

Nice one with the guy in T Lobby, 2 shots at his back.

I found it too hilarious to edit it out.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

That video is incredible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Masterpiece :D

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is there any way to figure out ahead of time if bullets will go through any given door/crate/wall/corner of a wall?

I thought it would be only wood or very flimsy metal, but I've been shot through the corners of some very solid-looking walls. I don't think it was lag compensation because decals appeared on my side of the wall. Also my ping is like 5-6 :pcgaming:.

If the answer is "nope, enjoy MORE trial and error, sucker" then please reply to this post with "zoopity boop". Thanks.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Is there any way to figure out ahead of time if bullets will go through any given door/crate/wall/corner of a wall?

I thought it would be only wood or very flimsy metal, but I've been shot through the corners of some very solid-looking walls. I don't think it was lag compensation because decals appeared on my side of the wall. Also my ping is like 5-6 :pcgaming:.

If the answer is "nope, enjoy MORE trial and error, sucker" then please reply to this post with "zoopity boop". Thanks.

zoopity boop

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fat Lou posted:

zoopity boop

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
If you really wanna know you could always start a private server and turn on sv_showimpacts and go shoot some of the spots you commonly fall down at.

kcer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 6, 2014

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Materials have nothing to do with it, just wall thickness. At least as far a I know.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

I was in one of those games! Thanks for not using the clip you got me on. I saw the clip with one of the guys I was playing with on nuke. He was raging so hard. Seriously funny though.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

The Orange Mage posted:

Materials have nothing to do with it, just wall thickness. At least as far a I know.

It's definitely both. For example, you can't shoot through the metal barrels on dust2 at all.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I thought it would be only wood or very flimsy metal, but I've been shot through the corners of some very solid-looking walls.

Very very many walls can have their corners shot through if you shoot the wall within an inch or two of the edge of the corner. I know this still doesn't identify which ones ahead of time, but I usually just assume the first 12 inches of cover behind any corner is just visual cover and can be shot through.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Orange Mage posted:

Nope. Map makers can decide the penetration value of all materials on their map. The best way to test everything out is the showimpact method on a local server

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Bring back 1.6 where everything was made out of plywood and cardboard.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

omg lol HOW. fuuuck. I can't even hit them like that just scoping in like normal

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

And here I thought the only way you'd pull this off is by smurfing but oh look who do we have here? is that grips, systane... minineo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9YZ7C88iU&t=12s

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Guys stop you're not suppose to have fun in CS. Yes okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Not gonna lie I'm bummed I haven't been in any Fat Lou-Tubes but I have no one to blame but myself

• Locked thread