Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I volunteer at Homeless Shelters, Pet Shelters, and places for abused women, but I find I'm not doing the work because I care about the people. I'm doing the work because it makes me feel like a better person then my peers. Should I stop volunteering?

Feeling good about yourself for doing good things isn't evidence you're a bad person, it is the definition of a good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I volunteer at Homeless Shelters, Pet Shelters, and places for abused women, but I find I'm not doing the work because I care about the people. I'm doing the work because it makes me feel like a better person then my peers. Should I stop volunteering?

Empathy is a hard sense to cultivate. I guess you could try imagining yourself in the shoes of the people you're helping. Like, really get into it. What would you do? How are these people just like you? What are they thinking or feeling, do you ever feel that way?

I think the "why" is very important, but more for you than the people you're helping unless you come across as superior or disengaged or contemptuous.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Every action a person takes is for their own benefit. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it. Try not to worry about it too much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

Every action a person takes is for their own benefit. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it. Try not to worry about it too much.

That's a pretty lovely view of the world. Altruism simply doesn't exist for you, eh?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tuyop posted:

Empathy is a hard sense to cultivate. I guess you could try imagining yourself in the shoes of the people you're helping. Like, really get into it. What would you do? How are these people just like you? What are they thinking or feeling, do you ever feel that way?

I think the "why" is very important, but more for you than the people you're helping unless you come across as superior or disengaged or contemptuous.

I mean I used to be homeless, which is why I volunteered at the shelter. I could tell the guys that it might get better, and I gave back to the people who helped me. It's just the more I mention it to people, the more praise I get. I've slowly stopped really caring about the people and started latching onto the praise.

Praise is awesome by the way. I love being told how awesome I am. :3:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tuyop posted:

That's a pretty lovely view of the world. Altruism simply doesn't exist for you, eh?

If it's the truth and you think the truth is lovely then you're the one who has a lovely view of the world!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

If it's the truth and you think the truth is lovely then you're the one who has a lovely view of the world!

Yeah, big if, though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Stupid/Small Questions Megathread: Existential Universal Truths

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

tuyop posted:

I don't see it as believing altruism doesn't exist.

If you have empathy, then helping others should make you feel better. So it's to your benefit.
I think it's a pretty great view of the world to think that helping others also helps us. It means we're not just isolated little islands.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pylb posted:

I don't see it as believing altruism doesn't exist.

If you have empathy, then helping others should make you feel better. So it's to your benefit.
I think it's a pretty great view of the world to think that helping others also helps us. It means we're not just isolated little islands.

I read it as, "people only do things for their own benefit. The benefit of helping people is that you feel good. You help people only because it feels good." Rather than what you're saying now which may be, "You help people for some reason. It feels good but this feeling is not the reason that you help people."

The first represents a lack of belief in altruism, the second allows for altruism.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manslaughter posted:

Every action a person takes is for their own benefit. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.
That's naive.

Plenty of people act against their own interests all the time without even the benefit of feeling better, superior or more secure because of it, for one.

You might be caught in some sort of just world fallacy where everything needs to make rational sense inside a simple dichotomy. This makes the discussion whether altruism exists a discussion on semantics divorced from reality.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Are there any legitimate, legal, high quality YouTube video download programs out there? A quick google search results in things that don't seem entirely legit or only allow me download part of a video in standard definition. Not sure if this is warez or not, so if it is just ignore.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's naive.

Plenty of people act against their own interests all the time without even the benefit of feeling better, superior or more secure because of it, for one.

You might be caught in some sort of just world fallacy where everything needs to make rational sense inside a simple dichotomy. This makes the discussion whether altruism exists a discussion on semantics divorced from reality.
Would you say being altruistic is irrational then?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

yoohoo posted:

Are there any legitimate, legal, high quality YouTube video download programs out there? A quick google search results in things that don't seem entirely legit or only allow me download part of a video in standard definition. Not sure if this is warez or not, so if it is just ignore.

I've been using youtube-dl for years.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's naive.

I would like an example.

quote:

I read it as, "people only do things for their own benefit. The benefit of helping people is that you feel good. You help people only because it feels good." Rather than what you're saying now which may be, "You help people for some reason. It feels good but this feeling is not the reason that you help people."

If doing something feels good it is a motivation factor. It makes a person feel good to help others because it is our nature.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 23, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

My own question: In Texas I see cellular antennas on the larger power transmission towers. I don't ever see that at home in OK. Why is that? It seems like a win for everyone, power company basically gets free money since they had to have the tower there in the 1st place and the cellular companies I'd be almost positive get charged less rent for space on one of those than they'd pay to someone who purpose builds antenna masts.

Pretty much what you've guessed.

The mobile carrier will pay a lease fee to the power company to use their structure and in return the mobile carrier doesn't have to build a whole new site in the area, generally they'd be paying some sort of lease fee for the land they'd use either way.

Added bonus that HV tower are taller than most basic poles the carrier might have used otherwise.

As to why they don't do it in another state... Could be a variety of access or OH&S issues. It can be a pain to get maintenance access onto a power company's assets and your rigging crews need a bunch of additional certifications or you have to pay whatever the power company wants to charge to use their own crews for the work.

Some power poles also require strengthening to take the additional loading of the antennas and the power companies in the area mightn't want their towers modified.

I work with mobiles sites in Australia but not with the site acquisition part of things so not sure what other specific factors go into it but hadn't seen anyone try an answer yet.

(Replace every use of the word mobile with cellular as applies in your region)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Schweinhund posted:

Would you say being altruistic is irrational then?
Neato strawman, very creative.

Manslaughter posted:

I would like an example.
Any number of things a depressed person does.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jesus people. Arguing about whether or not altruism exists or why people do altruistic things is ridiculous. Philosophers have been arguing about this for literally centuries and psychologists have tried their best to test for it with mixed results.

Read this.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Vin BioEthanol posted:

My own question: In Texas I see cellular antennas on the larger power transmission towers. I don't ever see that at home in OK. Why is that? It seems like a win for everyone, power company basically gets free money since they had to have the tower there in the 1st place and the cellular companies I'd be almost positive get charged less rent for space on one of those than they'd pay to someone who purpose builds antenna masts.

It may also be that the transmission towers aren't near any phone lines, so in the end it's cheaper to build your own tower right on top of an existing line than it would be to run a new line to the transmission tower only for cell use.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

I would like an example.

If doing something feels good it is a motivation factor. It makes a person feel good to help others because it is our nature.

Right, biotruths. Got it.

kedo posted:

Jesus people. Arguing about whether or not altruism exists or why people do altruistic things is ridiculous. Philosophers have been arguing about this for literally centuries and psychologists have tried their best to test for it with mixed results.

Read this.

And this. Altruism is a question that is so contentious that it's probably unprovable. Some of the smartest people in history have failed to settle the matter.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

DNova posted:

It's to cover them from losses. If the borrower pays back the difference after the foreclosure then there are no losses.

Thanks for the reply, I see what you're saying. Let's say at the time of foreclosure, the loan balance was $200k, and the FMV of the house was $100k. For this example, let's omit the fees, interest, etc. The lender sends a bill for $200k and threatens to sue if not paid. If the borrower cannot/doesn't pay, how much does the lender collect from the insurance and how much will the borrower be sued for? I suspect that each PMI policy is different, but will the borrower eventually only be stuck with owing the remaining loan balance minus sale proceeds minus what PMI covers?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

tuyop posted:

Right, biotruths. Got it.

Way to use a stupid catchphrase to wave away the way things have been for billions of years and then admit in the same post that nobody knows.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the fastest way to develop telekinetic powers?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Crankit posted:

Throw your best friend in front of a car and hold them as they die.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Crankit posted:

Virginity.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Crankit posted:

Oh thank god I knew your questions couldn't be the sincere thoughts of an actual person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

If one person volunteers out of genuine altruism and never tells anyone they do it, and another person volunteers the same amount of time but does it so that all their friends will praise them, does it make any difference at all to the shelter they work at? Would they want either one to stop volunteering?

If you're feeling guilty about the praise you're getting, stop telling people about your volunteering and they'll stop praising you, then you can still volunteer without feeling bad about your motivations.

Or if you still like the praise, keep telling people and getting the praise, because who is that hurting?

mlnhd posted:

I've been using youtube-dl for years.

I don't know if it's any better or worse, but http://keepvid.com/ is the one I've used before and it seems to work fine.

Crankit posted:

Inject yourself with midi-chlorians.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a maximum size a planet capable of supporting advanced lifeforms could achieve? By advanced lifeforms I basically mean what we humans would need to live. Land, water, air, nice temperatures, etc. Is there any reason why a planet like Earth but like 15 times bigger couldn't exist?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

yoohoo posted:

Install Youtube Center. It gives you download links for every available resolution and without having to go to a third party site:

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if it's any better or worse, but http://keepvid.com/ is the one I've used before and it seems to work fine.

I'd forgot about this since I've been using the Download Helper add-on for Firefox. I've run into a couple of videos that somehow block its ability to work. This got around that. Thanks.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a maximum size a planet capable of supporting advanced lifeforms could achieve? By advanced lifeforms I basically mean what we humans would need to live. Land, water, air, nice temperatures, etc. Is there any reason why a planet like Earth but like 15 times bigger couldn't exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet

Wikipedia posted:

super-earths and mini-Neptunes, which could be rocky like Earth or a mixture of volatiles and gas like Neptune—a radius of 1.75 times that of Earth is a possible dividing line between the two types of planet.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Anyone know what this water plant is? It keeps sprouting new pads from runners that float under the surface and has become pretty overgrown.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Ariza posted:

Way to use a stupid catchphrase to wave away the way things have been for billions of years and then admit in the same post that nobody knows.

If your reading comprehension isn't busted, you'll realize that that "stupid catchphrase" is not only not incompatible with the idea that nobody knows, it's based on that idea.

But please, tell me about the double blind study from a billion years ago.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Turtlicious posted:

Look at it this way: if you stop volunteering, it's the strongest possible proof that you're only doing it based on how you feel, rather than out of a genuine concern for others. If, on the other hand, you slog through your existential malaise, you're doing good despite not getting the feeling you wanted our of the whole "volunteering" experience.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Look at it this way: if you stop volunteering, it's the strongest possible proof that you're only doing it based on how you feel, rather than out of a genuine concern for others. If, on the other hand, you slog through your existential malaise, you're doing good despite not getting the feeling you wanted our of the whole "volunteering" experience.

Let me put it this way, do you enjoy doing your volunteer work, yes/no? Do you get a sense of fulfillment from volunteering, even without praise?

Hell, I volunteer at the local food bank, just because I'm unemployed, and it keeps me busy. I don't even serve soup to the homeless, I just sort cans in the back. It's not glamorous, but it's something that need doing, and it makes me feel useful.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 23, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Thanks for the reply, I see what you're saying. Let's say at the time of foreclosure, the loan balance was $200k, and the FMV of the house was $100k. For this example, let's omit the fees, interest, etc. The lender sends a bill for $200k and threatens to sue if not paid. If the borrower cannot/doesn't pay, how much does the lender collect from the insurance and how much will the borrower be sued for? I suspect that each PMI policy is different, but will the borrower eventually only be stuck with owing the remaining loan balance minus sale proceeds minus what PMI covers?

I don't have enough knowledge of how PMI works for the bank, but here is what is my understanding (which may not be correct):
-PMI is a last resort for the lender. They will go after the borrower until that is no longer an option (bankruptcy)
-PMI may only cover a portion of the losses.

In your example, when the borrower stops paying, after whatever time is required by law, the lender forecloses and sells the property for $100k, and the borrower still owes the remaining $100k of the original loan balance. PMI hasn't kicked in yet. If the borrower makes payments and appears to be servicing the debt, then all is well from the bank's perspective. If the borrower files bankruptcy, the $100k debt is discharged, and the bank is now facing that amount of loss. PMI would then kick in and cover some or all of that loss.

Apparently, in some states, the bank cannot go after the borrower for the balance of the loan after a foreclosure on an under-water loan (market value less than loan balance). In that case, the borrower would be free of the debt regardless of the $100k shortfall for the bank. They would still have a severe red mark on their credit reports, though.

It's important to get specific advice for the particular state and credit/financial situation of the person involved. Bankruptcy is probably going to be advised. Make a thread in BFC or read some of the threads already there to get some more people looking at the problem.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Oh thank god I knew your questions couldn't be the sincere thoughts of an actual person.

Hi "Nog Hogger" if that is your real name?
I resent your implication that one light hearted post in the stupid and small questions thread indicates that I am some kind of troll, and frankly I find it very offensive. It's also somewhat creepy that you've taken the time to questions-stalk me, please don't do this.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
True or false: If I add (bulking) protein powder to my oats I the morning while cooking them, it will be "de-natured" and rendered useless.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

True or false: If I add (bulking) protein powder to my oats I the morning while cooking them, it will be "de-natured" and rendered useless.

False, your body breaks down the protein anyway into the amino acids to reintegrate into the protein of your own body, so cooking it is fine. Unless you use a blast furnace or something I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Crankit posted:

Pick up the remote for your television.