Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

BrotherAdso posted:

I find the mage playbook to be adaptable and encourage RP and strong descriptive narrative. The "weave a spell" does give a lot of latitude, but one does "weave a spell to help solve a problem, not to provide a pat and immediate solution.

To take an example from the game saberwulf is running next door, it's the difference between using (a) The Dragon to give yourself 45 seconds worth of small, glide-worthy flaming spectral dragon wings and (b) saying, "gee wouldn't it be great to teleport at will? Some Dragons can teleport, so I'll teleport myself and any objects I aim my wand at." (a)is a characterful, limited use of "weave a spell" that sets relatively little precedent for further use, while (b) really changes the overall narrative. I'd like to think most players would gravitate towards things like (a) naturally because (a) is much more fun!

It also helps that the narrative control of the DM should make some situations much less friendly to the "weave a spell" move. For example, when the player proposes that they "weave a spell" to help solve the problem of a deep, unbridgeable gorge, the narrative control excercized by the DM can have their bridge be dangerously narrow, only extend 3/4 of the way across the chasm, have a countdown until you can no longer sustain it, etc.

You've got some important points here. It's easy to play the Mage as too much of a 'his-power-is-maximum' Mary Sue kind of character, instead of using strong and descriptive narrative to advance the fiction and do cool poo poo. The way I'm playing my Mechanic in saberwulf's campaign dances on the same sort of edge. What's the difference between something cool I've just decided is a part of my suit, and an overpowered character narration that saberwulf should probably shoot down, so I don't steal everyone else's thunder? (On the other hand, that might be part of what playing a Heel is about, so I'm not quite sure how to balance the two yet.)

Also on the topic: saberwulf, how do you feel about all of your Dungeon Attack players making their own rolls for moves, instead of looking to you for guidance on when to roll? When I DM my live game, I tell the players when to roll their moves, and Bigup DJ does the same for his IRC campaign. Personally, I think it works out great for the PbP format: letting us make moves without having to authorize everything beforehand lets us all come up with cooler fiction and bigger actionposts in between your DM-posts, and also lets us feed you some hooks for you to use (or not use, as you please) against us. On the other hand, maybe we're taking it too far, or not letting you butt in with a required roll before we can do some action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Nope! Except you can't kill them instantly, they get a Last Breath roll first.

Actually, you don't get to Last Breath if your body is pulped, disintegrated, sucked into Hell, etc. Any form of damage from which you couldn't reasonably recover doesn't let you roll LB.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Alumnus Post posted:

Also on the topic: saberwulf, how do you feel about all of your Dungeon Attack players making their own rolls for moves, instead of looking to you for guidance on when to roll? When I DM my live game, I tell the players when to roll their moves, and Bigup DJ does the same for his IRC campaign. Personally, I think it works out great for the PbP format: letting us make moves without having to authorize everything beforehand lets us all come up with cooler fiction and bigger actionposts in between your DM-posts, and also lets us feed you some hooks for you to use (or not use, as you please) against us. On the other hand, maybe we're taking it too far, or not letting you butt in with a required roll before we can do some action?

I think players rolling is always the way to go, hands down. It speeds up games by a significant amount and encourages players to go forward with the outcome a bit by themselves, which can be great as a GM, because it cuts out some of the work and lets me engage the players how they want. This pairs really well with the importance of the fiction in DW, which helps to get rid of the turn-based cardboardness tabletops can have.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Actually, you don't get to Last Breath if your body is pulped, disintegrated, sucked into Hell, etc. Any form of damage from which you couldn't reasonably recover doesn't let you roll LB.

I thought the fluff for Last Breath was that you were actually outwitting Death himself, so no matter how hosed up your body is when Death can't take you, turns out it wasn't that bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doodmons posted:

I thought the fluff for Last Breath was that you were actually outwitting Death himself, so no matter how hosed up your body is when Death can't take you, turns out it wasn't that bad.

The trigger for Last Breath is "when you're dying" - if you're already dead, it doesn't trigger (see also: https://plus.google.com/+IvanVaghi/posts/DbB5XVAtw38).

Not that it hugely matters - you should wing it whichever way is most fun/coolest for your players.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Handgun Phonics posted:

Are you ever going to update the content post on the first page with these?

I probably should do that, yeah. Eventually. When I get to it.

Oh god I am about 50 pages of thread behind on updating that OP, I am going to cry.

Syka posted:

Related question: Are you planning on putting all the Mages into a bundle?

Also, I noticed from the previews that the Winter and Masked mages both have an advanced move called "Conceal, Don't Feel". If this was intentional, I like it.

Yes, they will be bundled, and yes, it was intentional. For the Winter Mage it's just a Frozen reference coupled with a good move for a cold-hearted jerk. For the Mask Mage, the name fits too perfectly and the move also works fantastically with what they do, so I just kept it on the sheet when writing the new class.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Retsutalk Dungeon World Part 2 is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mB3aG3ORJ4

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

These are absolutely wonderful.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Speaking of, I have finished drafts of two more mages, ready to go! Posting some previews, full versions will be up when I make art happen to them.

I am big fan of most of your playbooks, so I look forward to these.

I am not sure that this is right place to ask (if not, I will cheerfully remove it) but I recently purchased the bundle that included 'the Dashing Hero' on DrivethruRpg -- but once I clicked on the pdf, it was your 'Dragon Mage' instead (even though the name was saved as 'the Dashing Hero'. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the Dragon Mage -- and would gladly purchase it -- but I would also like the Dashing Hero. Can you make this happen or is this something wrong on DrivethruRpg's end?

On a side note, has anyone made a playbook that emulates Gandalf -- specifically in that he is pretty low power but always knowledgeable/cryptically guiding the heroes? I realize that all of the mage/wizard playbooks are close but they tend to be much less subtle than what I am looking for.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DirkGently posted:

I am big fan of most of your playbooks, so I look forward to these.

I am not sure that this is right place to ask (if not, I will cheerfully remove it) but I recently purchased the bundle that included 'the Dashing Hero' on DrivethruRpg -- but once I clicked on the pdf, it was your 'Dragon Mage' instead (even though the name was saved as 'the Dashing Hero'. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the Dragon Mage -- and would gladly purchase it -- but I would also like the Dashing Hero. Can you make this happen or is this something wrong on DrivethruRpg's end?

Yeah, that was a fuckup I did by mistake when editing files. I have no idea how it happened, but it should be fixed as of last Monday. If it's still screwed up right now, though, let me know.

quote:

On a side note, has anyone made a playbook that emulates Gandalf -- specifically in that he is pretty low power but always knowledgeable/cryptically guiding the heroes? I realize that all of the mage/wizard playbooks are close but they tend to be much less subtle than what I am looking for.

I am going to try to emulate Gandalf with the Horizon Mage, when I get to it, but it's way at the end of my list of Mages to do. I don't know if anyone else has done it yet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm probably going to port my lovely 13th Age game over to Dungeon World, because I've never run anything else with any degree of what I consider success. If I were Powered by the Apocalypse, I would have a move that says something like: When you attempt to run a system other than Dungeon World, take -1 ongoing. Any tips? Our party has a very Scottish barbarian with a giant-rear end claymore and two very loosely defined mages (David Bowie wizard and dragonborn kleptomaniac sorceror) that could only benefit from the shift to a storygame.

Also, I'm probably going to head up to the FLGS and run a one-shot; how would I go about doing that with this system?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't "port" anything, that's the fastest way to gently caress up. Leave 13A behind entirely and have everyone make new characters in DW.

Also, I hope you don't have a pre-scripted/-written campaign, because playing with one makes DW less awesome.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't "port" anything, that's the fastest way to gently caress up. Leave 13A behind entirely and have everyone make new characters in DW.

I was gonna type that Scottish barbarian is really attached to his character's backstory, and then I realized. But that's still not fair to my players just because I suck to make them re-do their whole character.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, I hope you don't have a pre-scripted/-written campaign, because playing with one makes DW less awesome.

I like DW because I can get away with not having as much prep. 13A requires more prep and punishes the GM for leaving it behind; less than 4e but more than DW.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Keep the backstory, run them as the Dungeon World classes! The barbarian, fighter or brute should work well for the barbarian. Bowie and klepto can run as mages, wizards, thieves, depending on their skill sets. I'd recommend looking at the classes with your players and seeing what they'd prefer, but I'd go with the ones made by this thread over the basic: a Brute (my class!), a mage and a dragon mage with a thief skill or two. Maybe the city thief. Most of these should be linked in the OP.

If you want, start them at level two or three too.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 23, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

I was gonna type that Scottish barbarian is really attached to his character's backstory, and then I realized. But that's still not fair to my players just because I suck to make them re-do their whole character.

The backstory is the part that's fine - it's the mechanics that you can't port over. If he wants to make a Barbarian in DW and keep the same backstory, that works fine.

Captain Walker posted:

I like DW because I can get away with not having as much prep. 13A requires more prep and punishes the GM for leaving it behind; less than 4e but more than DW.

Then you're fine. Remember to play DW on DW's terms (ask questions, leave blanks, play to find out, etc.), read the DW guide to get a good grip on how combat works, and you should be good to go.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The backstory is the part that's fine - it's the mechanics that you can't port over. If he wants to make a Barbarian in DW and keep the same backstory, that works fine.

That's all I wanted. I've played tons of DW and run three very fun one-shots; this'll be my first time with a proper campaign of it. I'm gonna try running Heart of the Minotaur for the local game shop tonight. What class choices should I offer to the newbies who have never heard of systems other than 3.5, Pathfinder, and maybe oWoD?

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I have a question regarding prep.

Saturday I ran a game with some friends for the first time. It was a try-out sort of thing so I asked them what we were after and who gave them the mission. They were incredibly creative and I'm proud since it's all of ours first time. We basically ran into a cave and found a rare gem.

Now I have an idea for a longer storyline. It's about three factions fighting each other in finding a holy token and our heroes end up in the middle of this mess. How much do you think I should prepare? I'm afraid that if I think of too much the players are going to give me something I can't really play off.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Speaking of, I have finished drafts of two more mages, ready to go! Posting some previews, full versions will be up when I make art happen to them.

Mask Mage is the spy from TF2 and every Trickster figure of legend rolled into a ball and given a disguise kit. Star Mage is a wizard from outer space with a portal gun. I am having fun writing these.

Nope! Except you can't kill them instantly, they get a Last Breath roll first. But yeah, if you telegraphed that this is seriously dangerous and something goes seriously wrong, you can make them take their Last Breath immediately. Getting crushed by a boulder is seriously bad news.

Thanks! While I'm talking to you, are Inverse World's mechanics licensed under Creative Commons? I want to use your mechanics for big monsters and mounts.

Also, did you see that commentary I wrote on the Masked Mage? Quick comments on the Star Mage:

Fold Space - What can travel through my portals? Just people, or anything that can fit? Could I make a portal at the bottom of a lake and shoot water at people? Could I make a portal in front of me and teleport someone's arrow into the back of their head? Could I open a portal inside someone's mouth? You might want to clarify what happens when I try to attack or defend with my portals.

Higitus Figitus - "You have an enchanted bag which can hold an unlimited number of items of 1 Weight or less - anything heavier won't fit. The bag is 2 Weight no matter how much it holds." Sub "container" for "bag" if you think that's necessary.

Nova - It would be worth clarifying how many stars you can have conjured at one time.

Personal Gravity and Moonwalking - You could pretty much achieve the effects of Moonwalking by rapidly shifting your gravity back and forth couldn't you? I'd say you're better off splitting the move into personal gravity control - including zero gravity - and external gravity control - objects, creatures and so on. When the move says "everything you physically touch is affected by your own personal gravity", does that mean it's affected so long as I continue to touch it? What happens if I touch the ground? Maybe you could include a move which permanently alters something's gravity so you can make sky castles and floating islands.

Is there a limit on the size of what I can affect with these moves? Could I just walk up to a tarrasque or a castle, reverse its gravity and send it flying into space? If I touch a structure, do I alter the gravity of part of it or all of it? If I'm only altering a part of it, how big can that part be? I'd probably limit it to the size of cottage.

Death Moves - Multiple death moves are a great idea! If I was you, I'd make the black hole permanent, I'd make the supernova explode things out to Far range, and I'd say the red dwarf option turns you into a proper star around as big as a house.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Bigup DJ posted:

Personal Gravity and Moonwalking - You could pretty much achieve the effects of Moonwalking by rapidly shifting your gravity back and forth couldn't you?

Not touching most of this post because I'm not gnome7, but letting you just do things that you'd normally have to do a bunch of fiddly bullshit to do with your old moves seems like something advanced moves should be able to do. I mean, you could probably float in place with Personal Gravity, but any light's a strobe light if you turn it on and off fast enough. It doesn't mean you want to be flipping that switch for the whole rave.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Not touching most of this post because I'm not gnome7, but letting you just do things that you'd normally have to do a bunch of fiddly bullshit to do with your old moves seems like something advanced moves should be able to do. I mean, you could probably float in place with Personal Gravity, but any light's a strobe light if you turn it on and off fast enough. It doesn't mean you want to be flipping that switch for the whole rave.

This is a good point and I agree completely. I still think the personal-other gravity control split works better, though.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bigup DJ posted:

Thanks! While I'm talking to you, are Inverse World's mechanics licensed under Creative Commons? I want to use your mechanics for big monsters and mounts.

Yes, it is Creative Commons. You can use giant monster and mount mechanics as you like, although just a heads up, Rulebook Heavily has basically finished an entire book on Mounts and Vehicles that will be hitting the internet soon-ish.

quote:

Also, did you see that commentary I wrote on the Masked Mage?

Yes! And I appreciate all of these write ups you do. Changes have been made to the Masked Mage between your post and the one I just posted.

quote:

Quick comments on the Star Mage:

Fold Space - What can travel through my portals? Just people, or anything that can fit? Could I make a portal at the bottom of a lake and shoot water at people? Could I make a portal in front of me and teleport someone's arrow into the back of their head? Could I open a portal inside someone's mouth? You might want to clarify what happens when I try to attack or defend with my portals.

For Fold Space: Anything can go through them. Yes, and there are two advanced moves about making that easier to do. Yes, but you'd probably need to Defy Danger to get the timing right, on top of rolling for the portal itself. Yes, but that would mainly accomplish making it hard for them to eat, I imagine. When you attack or defend with your portals, you Defy Danger, Hack & Slash, or Defend, as normal, they just augment your range/mobility to do so.

It is a very open ended move.

quote:

Higitus Figitus - "You have an enchanted bag which can hold an unlimited number of items of 1 Weight or less - anything heavier won't fit. The bag is 2 Weight no matter how much it holds." Sub "container" for "bag" if you think that's necessary.

Nova - It would be worth clarifying how many stars you can have conjured at one time.

Personal Gravity and Moonwalking - You could pretty much achieve the effects of Moonwalking by rapidly shifting your gravity back and forth couldn't you? I'd say you're better off splitting the move into personal gravity control - including zero gravity - and external gravity control - objects, creatures and so on. When the move says "everything you physically touch is affected by your own personal gravity", does that mean it's affected so long as I continue to touch it? What happens if I touch the ground? Maybe you could include a move which permanently alters something's gravity so you can make sky castles and floating islands.

Is there a limit on the size of what I can affect with these moves? Could I just walk up to a tarrasque or a castle, reverse its gravity and send it flying into space? If I touch a structure, do I alter the gravity of part of it or all of it? If I'm only altering a part of it, how big can that part be? I'd probably limit it to the size of cottage.

Death Moves - Multiple death moves are a great idea! If I was you, I'd make the black hole permanent, I'd make the supernova explode things out to Far range, and I'd say the red dwarf option turns you into a proper star around as big as a house.

Wording changes have been made.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Captain Walker posted:

That's all I wanted. I've played tons of DW and run three very fun one-shots; this'll be my first time with a proper campaign of it. I'm gonna try running Heart of the Minotaur for the local game shop tonight. What class choices should I offer to the newbies who have never heard of systems other than 3.5, Pathfinder, and maybe oWoD?

if your 13A players haven't played dungeon world before, suggest a one-shot as a break from the 13A campaign and to see if they like it. This will let you show where DW excels, and give your players a chance to try something new if they want. After the session, you can talk about the game, discuss what you all like about each system, and whether they'd like to switch over.

As for recreating their characters, like Lemon Curdistan said talk to your players about what they think is important to their characters, and if it's a signature move or ability that's not covered, give them an extra move from another playbook or help them create a custom move for their character.

Good luck!

Flaskraven posted:

I have a question regarding prep.

Saturday I ran a game with some friends for the first time. It was a try-out sort of thing so I asked them what we were after and who gave them the mission. They were incredibly creative and I'm proud since it's all of ours first time. We basically ran into a cave and found a rare gem.

Now I have an idea for a longer storyline. It's about three factions fighting each other in finding a holy token and our heroes end up in the middle of this mess. How much do you think I should prepare? I'm afraid that if I think of too much the players are going to give me something I can't really play off.

Use the Fronts section to write your three factions, and keep it loose. Fronts will basically give you a framework to say who these groups are, what they want, and the ways they intend to get it. Write a few names for important characters but keep it brief and loose. Sometimes, when you get a chance to say something about one of the groups, characters, or problems, turn it into a question.

"Will the duke betray the Hidden Order?"

"What does the Hidden Order worship?"

"What is the prince's exploitable weakness?"

A big thing I had to learn when I started writing Fronts is that if you get stuck on something, just leave it blank. An unfinished front if more flexible than a fully realized one. Also remember that anything you write down is your go-to fallback solution, but if something else arises in play that contradicts it, go with the flow.

The game is entirely playable without fronts, but they are useful for organizing things when your world gets too big to keep in your memory, or just to have fallback answers on the world and it's dangers when nobody knows what comes next.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
Has anyone ever done a series of DW playbooks based on the "colors" from the Magic card game? I was wrestling with the Mage stuff and it occured to me that (though I haven't played the card game in more than a decade) the colors could provide a nice way conceptualize types of magic that are still limiting, but not quite so high-concept as "the clock, the dragon, the horizon" in gome's playbooks (which I love, but don't always hit the spot for my players).

I've DM'd this system about a dozen times and played it almost as many, so I figured I ought to dip my toe into playbooks eventually.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

BrotherAdso posted:

Has anyone ever done a series of DW playbooks based on the "colors" from the Magic card game? I was wrestling with the Mage stuff and it occured to me that (though I haven't played the card game in more than a decade) the colors could provide a nice way conceptualize types of magic that are still limiting, but not quite so high-concept as "the clock, the dragon, the horizon" in gome's playbooks (which I love, but don't always hit the spot for my players).

I've DM'd this system about a dozen times and played it almost as many, so I figured I ought to dip my toe into playbooks eventually.

The other playbook creators may have some input of their own, but this is my general workflow for creating a class.

Start with a character concept or archetype "Nature wizard" "Chef Ninja" "Grumpy Old Man". I then write about 10 or so descriptive words that define the archetype's behavior. From there I'll think about the things the archetype might do in an action scene, when trying to solve a problem they commonly face, in different kinds of social situations, and write moves based on that. If I can't think of a full move, I'll usually just jot down a trigger and get back to it.

When writing moves, first think of the trigger, an action or event. Then think of the consequences when that archetype is involved in that kind of situation. What changes? What's in danger?

Then expose your class to peer review, and iterate.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, that was a fuckup I did by mistake when editing files. I have no idea how it happened, but it should be fixed as of last Monday. If it's still screwed up right now, though, let me know.

I am going to try to emulate Gandalf with the Horizon Mage, when I get to it, but it's way at the end of my list of Mages to do. I don't know if anyone else has done it yet.

Hmm... I tried to download it again but it was still the Dragon Mage -- maybe the update hasn't gone through yet? (it is worth noting that my Drivethru RPG library says that the last time the file was updated was in March of last year, so the problem may well be on my end)

And good news on the Horizon Mage -- some of my players are big Lord of the Rings fans and so, along with the Elf, Dwarf, and Hobbit playbooks I am tempted to do Middle Earth in Dungeon World.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, I didn't post a response last night because we ended up staying at the bar for a while talking about the session, but trip report :

Whole group of players, loving none of us have ever played Dungeon World before.

I ask my first question, "Who are you waiting to ambush?". Arthur Blackhat the Dashing Hero tells me that they're going after a troll.

"What's the clearing like that you're ambushing the troll in?" Halfden Halfdenson the Druid describes how the the troll is facing away from them with a big ol' cookpot.

"Why are you going after this troll?" Ianna the Cleric tells us that the troll carried off someone's daughter and they're paid to bring her back.

"What is an obstacle that you faced on the way here?" Frelben the Mage talks about the time they got ambushed by magic mushrooms and had to use his strange robes (this was actually everyone narrating) to douse the flames.

Then I I give them a while to scrawl on a crude map I drew with interesting poo poo. I put in the entrance of a cave ; they added a pile of bones, a cage hanging from a tree and that there was a stream leading out from the cave-mouth.

"So, what do you do?"

Frelben tries to hide their presence with Cast A Spell and fails hugely. I have the troll notice him in response and it starts charging towards him. Arthur decides to do an elaborate dodge to try and get behind the troll ; Halfden (who is from the River Delta) turns into a water snake and also tries to flank it ; Ianna tries to cast light on a vial of water she has to throw it at the troll and blind it, but botches. I reveal that the girl is in the cage as result.

Arthur declares that there is a convenient tree branch, then swing around on it Gymkata style so he can land on the troll and stab it. He sticks the landing but rolls like 1 damage. The troll tries to grab him and he does a Defy Danger to swing around to the front of the troll and stab it in the face, which he succeeds on.

Frelben sees his friend struggling and tries to cast magical darkness to blind the troll... Flubbing it terribly and choosing that it's too strong. So both the troll and Arthur are now in a 15 foot radius circle of darkness that is still coming at the Mage. Since this whole thing is still barreling down on Frelben because he started this mess, Ianna elects to to try and get between them and protect the Mage.

And fails utterly. Arthur ends up being thrown out of the darkness circle and bounces off of her shield comically. Meanwhile, Halfden has coiled up on the troll's leg and is biting/poisoning the bejeezus out of it, not knowing that it regenerates.

Frelben decides to just try to Black Magic his way through problems and send a bolt of darkness at where he assumes the troll is (his Focus is The Twilight), this goes as badly as everything else he's done so far and the table jokes about Frelben the Failure start. He botches and the darkness goes away, revealing that the troll has been quietly regenerating this whole time. (The party's dice were hella cold, so I'd been using the regenerating-move like candy).

The troll is running back and grabs the cage, with the little girl inside, and starts making for the cave. Halfden, who is still on the troll's leg, turns into a crocodile and bites the poo poo out of his leg, then does the head-tossy roll thing crocodiles do to knock it over.

Glossing over some steps (and Frelben continuing to roll poo poo), they eventually get the troll into the fireplace where it was going to cook up the girl in and start throwing cooking oil on it. (I'd originally said, "No, there is no oil, the troll was making stew. Wait, no, gently caress. This is Dungeon World and you have narrative control, of course there's oil. Rock the gently caress on.")

Ianna and Arthur are now trying to bash the lock on the cage open with a rock, and doing a really lovely job of it, so I decide to reveal that another troll is coming out the cave. Halfden immediately mans up, reverts to human form, dips his spear in the oil and chucks it at the newly arrived troll, not doing much damage but at least pissing it off.

Arthur summons his noble steed, Narrative Justice, to their aid, to carry the little girl to safety. Frelben, not getting his track record, casts a spell to get the trolls to be afraid of the inbound horse : specifically, he wants to shroud it in shadows so it looks like a dragon. He rolls a 7 and chooses for things to have unintended consequences. This is the last time anyone would choose that for a bit.

The troll, seeing it's troll-wife/partner almost dead and a dragon en route, ripped the spear out of its leg and threw it at the "dragon" ; Arthur rolls Defy Danger to swat the flaming spear out of the way, but takes some damage. Ianna heals him, but the troll is enraged by the attempt and tries to swat at her.

Finally rolling like a champ, Frelben intervenes and freezes a bunch of the troll's blood to ice, doing a whopping 12 damage (he took a complication I'm glossing over), and the trolls now both retreat into their cave.

After about an hour and a half of play (this was a comedy of errors of cold dice, you don't even. The bar started comping drinks out of pity from how bad we were at pretending to be elves at this point), they get the girl back to the town. They try to rouse the townspeople to minimal results. (With the comedy part of Frelben botching an Aid check that got fluffed as Arthur making a rousing speech, and then a moment of taught silence before the Mage fist-pounded the air and went "Yeah!") An 8 on a Defy Danger + CHA so I let them get some good kit free from the town and a couple of NPC's, with the rider that if the NPC's died they might not be able to bring n the harvest.

They return to the troll-cave, after sending Halfden in osprey-form to scout it out who saw a bunch of goblins entering, including a suspiciously non-armored and staff-holding goblin. They leave the NPC's to guard the horses (I named them all after characters from Frozen, plus one named Keith, because I don't know), and enter the cave.

They follow the stream into the cave, which they notice is salt water and is somehow flowing up against gravity (I'm riffing and just adding magical poo poo because), and discover a vast, underground inland sea with a cliff that has a waterfall going UP (a waterclimb?). And also the goblins and a big rear end stair-case heading down. I sketch out a quick map of the place and tell them to add in anything they want. They add a disembowled bear, a dragon's skeleton, a Conan the Barbarian looking guy chained to a wall, some torches, a mess of creepy rear end (This was specified, seriously) mist, and, of course, an alter that the goblin shaman was on top of.

So they pop in and the goblins see them. The shaman exhorts his followers to gently caress their poo poo up and they go charging at the party, while he starts eerily chanting over the bear corpse. (I saw a dead bear and was hoping to turn it into a zombie bear because come the gently caress on ZOMBIE BEAR). The druid basically says gently caress this to that, turns into a crocodile and rolls a Defy Danger + STR to knock them over like bowling pins on his way to save Conan. The cleric decides to Defend him and manages to halve some damage he takes as he literally barrels through 5 heavily armed goblins.

Arthur (who had gotten a bow back in town) decides to go full Legolas and shoot the shaman on the altar. He rolls like a champ and I give him the option of extra damage for a complication, which he accepts. The priest is basically down 3/4ths of his HP and uses this to hide behind the altar and keep trying to make ZOMBIE BEAR.

Back to Halfden and Ianna : Halfden spends some of his hold on a move for his crocodile form I called Chomp!, and bite through the chains of the not-Conan but he's pretty high and immediately tries to choke the crocodile druid, with Ianna interfering via hitting him in the face with shield. Again and again until he stops being dumb.

Back to the other guys. Arthur takes a pot-shot at the brazier (that he declared existed because it owns) on the altar to shoot it onto the shaman and a rolls a 7-9. We treat it as Volley and say that he made the shot, the goblin loses the spell, but Arthur fell in the stream and is now being carried up and out of the cave. Frelben tries to save him, but he's a loving skinny rear end Mage so that goes about as well as you'd think and they both are going up the drink.

The goblins are now split in two , and Ianna manages to dodge the lead one coming after her. Halfden then tries to knock it off of its feet with his tail, but fail miserably and ends up caught in the chains with the Totally Not Arnold Meth Addict. Ianna turns around and somersaults into the goblin, knocking it over so that Arnold, in his drug-addled frenzy, just starts choking the poo poo out of it. Halfden turns back into human-form and chucks a spear at a goblin, but it bounces off of its armor.

Frelben is grabbing on Arthur's waist in an explicitly girlish and timid fashion (literally the description I got), and Arthur does a Defy Danger to get on the OPPOSITE of the river from the goblins and makes it. Arthur and Frelben share a bro-ish fist bump when one of the goblins tries to jump the river, sword raised, at Arthur ; Frelben side-steps and turns the goblin's blood to frozen, black sludge with a touch attack, and, rallied by his friend being awesome for a change, Arthur does a flying kick into the other goblin and feels fantastic about it.

Ianna is now facing two goblins. One of them swings at her, she catches it on the armor on her arm and bashes its head in, all while giving an expression of "Why the gently caress did you bother?!" (She rolled a Hack and Slash for 7-9, but its damage didn't get through her armor and she loving creamed it). The other goes gently caress this and starts running away.

Frelben still hears the goblin shaman chanting and skirts along the river until he gets line of sight, then he fires off a ray of eldritch blackness at it. He's like the Sundance Kid and get the shot off, but the shaman's acid spell still goes off, just in a random direction, towards Arthur. (7-9 on Black Magic). Arthur rolls a Defy Danger + STR to grab his opponent and use it as a goblin shield, which he does, although he took a little damage.

So, they have investigated a troll problem and found a vast underground inland sea with attached kingdom. I might give them some magic items next session.

I had an incredibly absurd amount of fun and I love this game. The entire group voted to cancel our 4E campaign and play more of this, and I'm fine with that. So, I guess I couldn't have done too poo poo a job.

Tell me how I hosed up/was wrong?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, I didn't post a response last night because we ended up staying at the bar for a while talking about the session, but trip report :

Whole group of players, loving none of us have ever played Dungeon World before.

I ask my first question, "Who are you waiting to ambush?". Arthur Blackhat the Dashing Hero tells me that they're going after a troll.

"What's the clearing like that you're ambushing the troll in?" Halfden Halfdenson the Druid describes how the the troll is facing away from them with a big ol' cookpot.

"Why are you going after this troll?" Ianna the Cleric tells us that the troll carried off someone's daughter and they're paid to bring her back.

"What is an obstacle that you faced on the way here?" Frelben the Mage talks about the time they got ambushed by magic mushrooms and had to use his strange robes (this was actually everyone narrating) to douse the flames.

Then I I give them a while to scrawl on a crude map I drew with interesting poo poo. I put in the entrance of a cave ; they added a pile of bones, a cage hanging from a tree and that there was a stream leading out from the cave-mouth.

"So, what do you do?"

Frelben tries to hide their presence with Cast A Spell and fails hugely. I have the troll notice him in response and it starts charging towards him. Arthur decides to do an elaborate dodge to try and get behind the troll ; Halfden (who is from the River Delta) turns into a water snake and also tries to flank it ; Ianna tries to cast light on a vial of water she has to throw it at the troll and blind it, but botches. I reveal that the girl is in the cage as result.

Arthur declares that there is a convenient tree branch, then swing around on it Gymkata style so he can land on the troll and stab it. He sticks the landing but rolls like 1 damage. The troll tries to grab him and he does a Defy Danger to swing around to the front of the troll and stab it in the face, which he succeeds on.

Frelben sees his friend struggling and tries to cast magical darkness to blind the troll... Flubbing it terribly and choosing that it's too strong. So both the troll and Arthur are now in a 15 foot radius circle of darkness that is still coming at the Mage. Since this whole thing is still barreling down on Frelben because he started this mess, Ianna elects to to try and get between them and protect the Mage.

And fails utterly. Arthur ends up being thrown out of the darkness circle and bounces off of her shield comically. Meanwhile, Halfden has coiled up on the troll's leg and is biting/poisoning the bejeezus out of it, not knowing that it regenerates.

Frelben decides to just try to Black Magic his way through problems and send a bolt of darkness at where he assumes the troll is (his Focus is The Twilight), this goes as badly as everything else he's done so far and the table jokes about Frelben the Failure start. He botches and the darkness goes away, revealing that the troll has been quietly regenerating this whole time. (The party's dice were hella cold, so I'd been using the regenerating-move like candy).

The troll is running back and grabs the cage, with the little girl inside, and starts making for the cave. Halfden, who is still on the troll's leg, turns into a crocodile and bites the poo poo out of his leg, then does the head-tossy roll thing crocodiles do to knock it over.

Glossing over some steps (and Frelben continuing to roll poo poo), they eventually get the troll into the fireplace where it was going to cook up the girl in and start throwing cooking oil on it. (I'd originally said, "No, there is no oil, the troll was making stew. Wait, no, gently caress. This is Dungeon World and you have narrative control, of course there's oil. Rock the gently caress on.")

Ianna and Arthur are now trying to bash the lock on the cage open with a rock, and doing a really lovely job of it, so I decide to reveal that another troll is coming out the cave. Halfden immediately mans up, reverts to human form, dips his spear in the oil and chucks it at the newly arrived troll, not doing much damage but at least pissing it off.

Arthur summons his noble steed, Narrative Justice, to their aid, to carry the little girl to safety. Frelben, not getting his track record, casts a spell to get the trolls to be afraid of the inbound horse : specifically, he wants to shroud it in shadows so it looks like a dragon. He rolls a 7 and chooses for things to have unintended consequences. This is the last time anyone would choose that for a bit.

The troll, seeing it's troll-wife/partner almost dead and a dragon en route, ripped the spear out of its leg and threw it at the "dragon" ; Arthur rolls Defy Danger to swat the flaming spear out of the way, but takes some damage. Ianna heals him, but the troll is enraged by the attempt and tries to swat at her.

Finally rolling like a champ, Frelben intervenes and freezes a bunch of the troll's blood to ice, doing a whopping 12 damage (he took a complication I'm glossing over), and the trolls now both retreat into their cave.

After about an hour and a half of play (this was a comedy of errors of cold dice, you don't even. The bar started comping drinks out of pity from how bad we were at pretending to be elves at this point), they get the girl back to the town. They try to rouse the townspeople to minimal results. (With the comedy part of Frelben botching an Aid check that got fluffed as Arthur making a rousing speech, and then a moment of taught silence before the Mage fist-pounded the air and went "Yeah!") An 8 on a Defy Danger + CHA so I let them get some good kit free from the town and a couple of NPC's, with the rider that if the NPC's died they might not be able to bring n the harvest.

They return to the troll-cave, after sending Halfden in osprey-form to scout it out who saw a bunch of goblins entering, including a suspiciously non-armored and staff-holding goblin. They leave the NPC's to guard the horses (I named them all after characters from Frozen, plus one named Keith, because I don't know), and enter the cave.

They follow the stream into the cave, which they notice is salt water and is somehow flowing up against gravity (I'm riffing and just adding magical poo poo because), and discover a vast, underground inland sea with a cliff that has a waterfall going UP (a waterclimb?). And also the goblins and a big rear end stair-case heading down. I sketch out a quick map of the place and tell them to add in anything they want. They add a disembowled bear, a dragon's skeleton, a Conan the Barbarian looking guy chained to a wall, some torches, a mess of creepy rear end (This was specified, seriously) mist, and, of course, an alter that the goblin shaman was on top of.

So they pop in and the goblins see them. The shaman exhorts his followers to gently caress their poo poo up and they go charging at the party, while he starts eerily chanting over the bear corpse. (I saw a dead bear and was hoping to turn it into a zombie bear because come the gently caress on ZOMBIE BEAR). The druid basically says gently caress this to that, turns into a crocodile and rolls a Defy Danger + STR to knock them over like bowling pins on his way to save Conan. The cleric decides to Defend him and manages to halve some damage he takes as he literally barrels through 5 heavily armed goblins.

Arthur (who had gotten a bow back in town) decides to go full Legolas and shoot the shaman on the altar. He rolls like a champ and I give him the option of extra damage for a complication, which he accepts. The priest is basically down 3/4ths of his HP and uses this to hide behind the altar and keep trying to make ZOMBIE BEAR.

Back to Halfden and Ianna : Halfden spends some of his hold on a move for his crocodile form I called Chomp!, and bite through the chains of the not-Conan but he's pretty high and immediately tries to choke the crocodile druid, with Ianna interfering via hitting him in the face with shield. Again and again until he stops being dumb.

Back to the other guys. Arthur takes a pot-shot at the brazier (that he declared existed because it owns) on the altar to shoot it onto the shaman and a rolls a 7-9. We treat it as Volley and say that he made the shot, the goblin loses the spell, but Arthur fell in the stream and is now being carried up and out of the cave. Frelben tries to save him, but he's a loving skinny rear end Mage so that goes about as well as you'd think and they both are going up the drink.

The goblins are now split in two , and Ianna manages to dodge the lead one coming after her. Halfden then tries to knock it off of its feet with his tail, but fail miserably and ends up caught in the chains with the Totally Not Arnold Meth Addict. Ianna turns around and somersaults into the goblin, knocking it over so that Arnold, in his drug-addled frenzy, just starts choking the poo poo out of it. Halfden turns back into human-form and chucks a spear at a goblin, but it bounces off of its armor.

Frelben is grabbing on Arthur's waist in an explicitly girlish and timid fashion (literally the description I got), and Arthur does a Defy Danger to get on the OPPOSITE of the river from the goblins and makes it. Arthur and Frelben share a bro-ish fist bump when one of the goblins tries to jump the river, sword raised, at Arthur ; Frelben side-steps and turns the goblin's blood to frozen, black sludge with a touch attack, and, rallied by his friend being awesome for a change, Arthur does a flying kick into the other goblin and feels fantastic about it.

Ianna is now facing two goblins. One of them swings at her, she catches it on the armor on her arm and bashes its head in, all while giving an expression of "Why the gently caress did you bother?!" (She rolled a Hack and Slash for 7-9, but its damage didn't get through her armor and she loving creamed it). The other goes gently caress this and starts running away.

Frelben still hears the goblin shaman chanting and skirts along the river until he gets line of sight, then he fires off a ray of eldritch blackness at it. He's like the Sundance Kid and get the shot off, but the shaman's acid spell still goes off, just in a random direction, towards Arthur. (7-9 on Black Magic). Arthur rolls a Defy Danger + STR to grab his opponent and use it as a goblin shield, which he does, although he took a little damage.

So, they have investigated a troll problem and found a vast underground inland sea with attached kingdom. I might give them some magic items next session.

I had an incredibly absurd amount of fun and I love this game. The entire group voted to cancel our 4E campaign and play more of this, and I'm fine with that. So, I guess I couldn't have done too poo poo a job.

You didn't set enough things of fire for my taste.

That sound like an amazing session and lots of fun! You got everyone involved in what was going on, it's exactly the kind of DW first session I try to run.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xiahou Dun posted:

You didn't. See this part, right here?

quote:

(I'd originally said, "No, there is no oil, the troll was making stew. Wait, no, gently caress. This is Dungeon World and you have narrative control, of course there's oil. Rock the gently caress on.")

Yeah. You get it. You will do just fine, buddy, rock on.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Xiahou Dun posted:

Game recap

This is exactly how Dungeon World is supposed to go. Fantastic sounding fun - I only wish my groups and I had been able to abandon our old habits in the first session so quickly and effectively.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thanks! Glad to know I'm in the right ball-park.

Quick question : I tried to avoid doing the Deal Damage move because it seemed kind of boring and like it's more fun to actually do stuff to them narratively, but this meant that they hardly ever took any damage. Like, I think only one person was down more than 4 HP from their max at the end of the session.

Is this okay? Or should I start doing damage on occasion in addition to fun stuff like separating them and spawning extra trolls?

I really like that, because the GM is constrained by what moves they can make, you get to be just a wee bit antagonist. Not like actually antagonistic, of course, but it's a bit like 4E D&D in that rules provide the framework so the GM and the players can spar a little bit without it turning into an unfun mess. Like, the GM is ultimately on the players' side, but part of that is giving them awesome obstacles to overcome, if that makes sense.

God drat in love with the system.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Players can take a hell of a lot of punishment in DW. Spread it around, getting close to KO'd makes it exciting.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks! Glad to know I'm in the right ball-park.

Quick question : I tried to avoid doing the Deal Damage move because it seemed kind of boring and like it's more fun to actually do stuff to them narratively, but this meant that they hardly ever took any damage. Like, I think only one person was down more than 4 HP from their max at the end of the session.

Is this okay? Or should I start doing damage on occasion in addition to fun stuff like separating them and spawning extra trolls?

I really like that, because the GM is constrained by what moves they can make, you get to be just a wee bit antagonist. Not like actually antagonistic, of course, but it's a bit like 4E D&D in that rules provide the framework so the GM and the players can spar a little bit without it turning into an unfun mess. Like, the GM is ultimately on the players' side, but part of that is giving them awesome obstacles to overcome, if that makes sense.

God drat in love with the system.

When I started GMing DW I had this problem as well. One of your GM moves is use up their resources, and HP is a primary resource. Another way of saying it is that a thing gains utility in it's use. Why does the fighter have 19 hit points if you only use 4 of them?

Another thing to remember is that, when you deal damage you don't have to just deal damage. when you use the move "split the party" by causing a cave-in, also shower them with rocks and get them to take some damage. When the troll knocks them flying across the room, deal damage. When they spring a trap that fills the room with poison gas that makes them hallucinate and choke, deal damage. You get to make as hard a move as you like, so learn to love those hard moves.

I too love cheering with my players at their triumphs and wailing with despair at their failures. I love that, as the GM, I can be as surprised by what happens next as the players.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

This makes me a bit curious- how often do people here use the Debilities? Do you always stick with the "2-3 days dedicated rest to recover," or just wipe them out once they stop being relevant for a bit?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Speaking of Debilities, I expanded my sickness and insanity rules to cover status effects more broadly. Here's my first draft:

Status Effects posted:

If any of these rules don’t make sense, drop them and leave it to the fiction.

Vectors
Every Status Effect has a Vector - a means of transmission - whether it’s the gaze of a cockatrice, the ingestion of spoiled meat or the sight of an extradimensional monster. In some cases, a status effect will have multiple vectors. These vector act as narrative triggers for the following move:

When you attempt to resist a Status Effect,
  • roll+Con+Severity for physical vectors.
  • roll+Wis+Severity for mental vectors.
✴ On a 10+, you resist the effect completely. ✴ On a 7-9, you suffer a partial consequence. ✴ On a 6-, you suffer a full consequence.

Above all, don’t feel compelled to list every possible vector for a Status Effect - you should be able to eyeball it. Good mechanics are rules of thumb, useful fictional shorthand - if they bog down the story, they’re not doing their job.

Severity
The likelihood that a Status Effect will take hold is represented by its Severity, placed in brackets next to a vector. A Status Effect’s severity will typically be Mild (+2 to +3), Moderate (+1 to -1+) or Extreme (-2 to -3), although some Status effects will modify this system or bypass it entirely.

Very often, different vectors for the same Status Effect will vary in severity. Vectors which bypass a roll are tagged with the consequence they produce, whether (Partial) or (Full). Removing the severity modifier entirely is also an option - if it’s bogging the game down, get rid of it.

Consequences
Every Status Effect has Consequences which may express themselves Fully or Partially. Full consequences tell you the worst a Status Effect can do. Partial consequences will be less intense, or they will inflict specific consequences at full intensity. For example, your body may be partially petrified and slowed, or your arm may be fully petrified.

Some Status Effects are so intense that there’s no meaningful difference between a partial effect and a full effect. These are best represented with unrolled poison-style mechanics - the drama here is in avoiding the vector in the first place.

Treatment
Some Status Effects have Treatments which can mitigate or even cure their consequences. In most cases, treatments will be Partial or Complete. Partial treatments alleviate consequences by one step - full consequences become partial, partial consequences are cured. Complete treatments cure consequences completely. Some treatments will only treat certain consequences, and others may come with problems of their own.

Edit: I really should format these things properly before I post them.

Edit 2: I've realised I can pretty much do all this with Defy Danger and the fiction but it would make a good replacement for HP and Debilities if I did some kind of Nobilis-style wounds system.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 24, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Handgun Phonics posted:

This makes me a bit curious- how often do people here use the Debilities? Do you always stick with the "2-3 days dedicated rest to recover," or just wipe them out once they stop being relevant for a bit?

Debilities are major things. Generally I have them waiting in the wings in case the players mess up too badly, as a cost to pay to succeed. I haven't had to bring them out just yet, and I'm fine with that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I give out minor debilities pretty often, but I'm usually pretty good about removing them after like an encounter. I like boxing people's heads and poo poo.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Handgun Phonics posted:

I like to give them out as part of a hard choice or as a consequence for failure. Sure, you picked the lock on the chest, but you got shanked by a poisoned needle! Or, you can pick: get your shield in the way of an oncoming blow (and maybe lose your shield), or dodge almost fast enough: take Scarred until your new beauty mark heals up. I actually missed the 2-3 days of rest thing in the rules...going to have to remember that in future. It depends on the fiction, really.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
After reading Johnstone Metzger's Class Warfare pdf I started to wonder if it'd be possible to make an Elder Scrolls hack. I guess there'd have to be some way to replicate mana and stamina. Maybe a system like Edge and Essence from Sixth World? Though I have no idea how that could be worked in and moves still remain functional. I love Dungeon World but have always hated the D&D six attributes system. Maybe I could narrow it down to a set of 4-5 core attributes like I've seen mentioned in the thread. What do you guys think?

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 25, 2014

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

After reading Johnstone Metzger's Class Warfare pdf I started to wonder if it'd be possible to make an Elder Scrolls hack. I guess there'd have to be some way to replicate mana and stamina. Maybe a system like Edge and Essence from Sixth World? Though I have no idea how that could be worked in and moves still remain functional. I love Dungeon World but have always hated the D&D six attributes system. Maybe I could narrow it down to a set of 4-5 core attributes like I've seen mentioned in the thread. What do you guys think?

The big thing with Elder Scrolls is that most of... pretty much everything, really, relies heavily on skills rather than attributes. Also, everything that isn't skyrim used 8 attributes, which I'm guessing isn't the direction you're intending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, I don't know how useful it would be for elder scrolls gaming, but I've been toying with an idea that uses Hold as a more dynamic equivalent to normal magic/mana points.

So you would have a move similar to the Wizard's prepare spells, where you gain X Hold (Mana) by spending time (like an hour) focusing magic or whatever. Maybe also have 1 or 2 other ways to pick up 1 hold on the go.

Then you get rid of spells per day, make them all cost 1 Hold on a 7-9, or so.