Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I just finished Turn-A Gundam. I'm honestly at a loss of words with how amazing that show as a hole was. The ending bits with Loran and Diana were a bit confusing, as with Sochie, but outside of small stuff, that was the most perfect Gundam I've ever watched and probably my new favorite anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sakurazuka posted:

So basically G-Rev and Origin. Have we heard anything about the 'something based on a book' though?

G-Reko and Ideon, actually. He said in an interview a while back he'd like to revisit that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm really interested in what Tomino would do with more Ideon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This should probably go here too. We've got a new OYW sidestory PS3 game coming out, and with it the obligatory new Super Secret Gundam You Never Heard Of Because Reasons.

quote:

A variant of RX-78 series, the Gundam Pixie was a high performance close-combat ground force mobile suit created by the Earth Federation Forces for use by their ace pilots during Operation Odessa. The Gundam Pixie was significantly lighter than its RX-78 brethren, due to the lack of the core block system, and as a consequence is a faster and more agile unit. However, it is relatively lightly armed, with a conventional shell-firing submachine gun and a pair of small beam knives.

They aren't even trying anymore, are they?

EDIT: V Welp, I guess that's what I get for blindly trusting Gundam Guy.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

This should probably go here too. We've got a new OYW sidestory PS3 game coming out, and with it the obligatory new Super Secret Gundam You Never Heard Of Because Reasons.

They aren't even trying anymore, are they?

The Gundam Pixie is from a SNES game, man. It predates the vast majority of the Super Secret Gundams You Never Heard Of. Like the Efreet Custom in Blue Destiny is based off the rival suit the Pixie guy fought.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ethiser posted:

I'm really interested in what Tomino would do with more Ideon.

Maybe he'll slap a happy ending on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raku posted:

G-Reko and Ideon, actually. He said in an interview a while back he'd like to revisit that.

Haha, I got the name of a Tomino show mixed up with the shumup developers. :v:

Not sure I really want to see an Ideon by happy Tomino but then we got Turn-A out of that so.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

SpikeMcclane posted:

To paraphrase what was probably a paraphrase itself, "We're planning on doing a remake of one of my previous works, but the rights aren't locked in 100% yet, so we can't say what. If you know my work, you'll know what sort of show to expect.

Gundam ZZ A New Translation

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So I just finished Turn-A Gundam. I'm honestly at a loss of words with how amazing that show as a hole was. The ending bits with Loran and Diana were a bit confusing, as with Sochie, but outside of small stuff, that was the most perfect Gundam I've ever watched and probably my new favorite anime.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Turn A has become my favorite Gundam series and knocked MSG and Zeta out of first place.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Popehoist posted:

Gundam ZZ A New Translation

As poo poo as Zeta A New Translation was, I'd watch this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think Gundam ZZ could only be improved by stitching together the most important bits actually. And I'm never going to say no to an excuse for a MG ZZ 2.0.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It should just be a two hour loop of the first couple seconds of Anime Ja Nai.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So I just saw this, and, well:

http://schizophonic9.com/re3/mg_astnoir.html

Sword Guns! And it's piloted by a besuited elderly Italian guy, because....!

It's as though they've decided, gently caress it, the Cosmic Era isn't going to get any dumber than it already is.

(and the loving Noir Striker "wings" that would never actually be able to produce lift, seriously you have science guys on the staff for a reason right :byodood:)

Don't worry. Build Fighters has this beat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man I need to watch the newest episode, there's an Astraea F?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Eej posted:

Man I need to watch the newest episode, there's an Astraea F?

It hasn't appeared in the show yet. And it's an Exia, not an Astraea. :gonk:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Right, duh, it even says Gundam Exia right there. Even though it looks exactly like an Astraea with 14 year old fantasy addons.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I've been recommended time and time again that, as an avid fan of the games and the snippets of series I've watched, that I need to watch the Gundam trilogy of movies and not the TV show. Is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to find these movies?

In other news, I'm considering whether or not I should hold off watching Build Fighters until I get through a few more of the core series. Are there many plot-related injokes hinted at, or do they just toss the suits in for fanservice battles?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I recommend the TV series over the movies, actually.

As for the second question, there's a few things but I don't feel like you'd be missing out on too many jokes or references if you're at all familiar with Gundam.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

muike posted:

I recommend the TV series over the movies, actually.

I second this. It seems like every time this comes up people recommend the movies but I think the TV show deserves watching.

Of course, that could just be because M'Quve is one of my favorite characters and he got royally shafted in the movies, but still.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ah, lady Kycilia. This is a fine vase.

"i got it at tj maxx, bro"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I would absolutely love a remake of Ideon. I never got to finish watching it, although I did catch a great murder reel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I would absolutely love a remake of Ideon. I never got to finish watching it, although I did catch a great murder reel.

Ideon/off is pretty good too:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QYEs1oRpk
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkWIso34kw

The sequel:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9S1kzu5lXM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmGiegNXok

EDITED in the first one, I posted the sequel accidentally.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 23, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

To be honest, you are fine with either the TV show or the movies, as they have the same basic plot. It depends on how much time you want to invest in it. If you're unsure that you're going to like Gundam, maybe try the movies.

0080: War in the Pocket and the 08th MS Team are also good starting points, even though they're standalone and have nothing to do with the overall plot. You will at least get the flavor of the series, if nothing else.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

0080 is the best thing Gundam with Turn A a close 2nd so you will be spoiling yourself.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't really agree with that. 0080 doesn't really do much for me. It's...I don't want to say overwrought, but it's got a lot of the problems 08th MS Team also had, while being superficially more "mature." I don't think it's bad, but it's just really not all it's hyped up to be for me.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I thought it succeeded the most at showing the horrors of war and telling an actual human story that also included some pretty good mecha action. I can see why some people might not enjoy it as much as me though.

It also has the second best use of hamburger in Gundam.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 23, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I definitely don't think it's bad, I actually think it's done really well. It just won't click with me, plus I've seen Bernie Mac saying "holla at my girl chris for me" too many times to not giggle

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I dunno, speak for yourself, 0080 and Turn A are probably my two favorite Gundam things ever. Gundam always has an anti-war theme, but 0080 is the one where it hits home the most effectively.

My introduction to the UC was the MSG movies and 0080 on VHS around '99/2000, and later the 08th MS Team and 0083 when they aired on Toonami, so I'd say that's as good of a start as any.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno, speak for yourself, 0080 and Turn A are probably my two favorite Gundam things ever. Gundam always has an anti-war theme, but 0080 is the one where it hits home the most effectively.

My introduction to the UC was the MSG movies and 0080 on VHS around '99/2000, and later the 08th MS Team and 0083 when they aired on Toonami, so I'd say that's as good of a start as any.

You lucky bastard. Over in the UK only Gundam Wing aired on Toonami around that time. :argh:

I didn't get back into Gundam until 00 aired.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Why does Ideon go so well with classic funk?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Valhawk posted:

Why does Ideon go so well with classic funk?

They both come from the same era.

EDIT: I accidentally gave you the sequel, here's the first one:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QYEs1oRpk
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CkWIso34kw

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
There are also a good number of bullshit retarded mobile suits and mobile armors that don't show up in the movie trilogy since they were introduced so Amuro could slice up something new one week or the next. You know, like the Zakrello.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

0080 is the best thing Gundam with Turn A a close 2nd so you will be spoiling yourself.

Well shucks :smith: 0080 is part of my limited experience with Gundam. Remembering that is what motivated me to get back into it, along with deciding to finish Overman: King Gainer (amazing robot design, but the dialog is pretty blah so far). As far as my time investment, honestly it's starting to look like I'll be going with the show just because it's available to me. Really hope I don't burn myself out on it.

The Muffinlord posted:

There are also a good number of bullshit retarded mobile suits and mobile armors that don't show up in the movie trilogy since they were introduced so Amuro could slice up something new one week or the next. You know, like the Zakrello.

...but I think that may be the most compelling case for the show. Years ago I spent a lot of time bombing through MAHQ and just ogling at the suits and reading the bits of story there, and through that (and several games) constructed the show in reverse. If I don't get to see all the over-specialized Zeon nonsense and one-off prototypes I don't think it'll be the same. Like, I could probably still tell you the name of almost any suit from the series, but I would be hard-pressed to identify pilots or characters.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

Every time I see the Zakrello I think it was a joke suit from some side story. But no, straight up mobile suit gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Every time I see the Zakrello I think it was a joke suit from some side story. But no, straight up mobile suit gundam.

Some people like it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Enough to give it an expanded part in Gundam the Origin at that.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I was kind of disappointed about the non-event the Adzam was in Origin. Defeated by a wrong turn?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Erd posted:

I was kind of disappointed about the non-event the Adzam was in Origin. Defeated by a wrong turn?

Also, interestingly at Jaburo, the Zock doesn't show up at all.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So where or how is hte best way to watch the remake of OYW gundam and original or better remakes of Z/ZZ? Cause Let's plays are making wanna watch them entirely finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's no remake out yet, though they have confirmed that they're making one. Nobody knows when it will come though.

The usual quick and dirty way to get into the UC Gundam setting is:

Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy -> Zeta Gundam TV series (the movies are bad) -> Char's Counterattack

• Locked thread