Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only gimmick piece I really want out of it is a hand specifically for holding three of those throwing knife things at once.

Those are beam saber handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Those are beam saber handles.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure two of them are short-blade sabers that Exia uses as throwing knives. :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Reposting so it doesn't get lost: I pre-ordered the MG Gundam X from Amazon last week, it's supposed to be here tomorrow, but as of tonight my card hasn't even been charged yet. This the case for anyone else?

edit: oh hey, didn't even know you could do that. What a world we live in where it's so much easier to get live customer support on the Internet than it is over the phone. At any rate it's handled, just gonna be late getting here from the looks of things.

(am kind of jazzed for this one - I don't even consider the X one of my favorite Gundams and yet I buy it every time it comes out so hmm)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 23, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Reposting so it doesn't get lost: I pre-ordered the MG Gundam X from Amazon last week, it's supposed to be here tomorrow, but as of tonight my card hasn't even been charged yet. This the case for anyone else?

you should probably contact amazon, use live support

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Pom posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure two of them are short-blade sabers that Exia uses as throwing knives. :v:

This is what I'm talking about.

Got this off the Gundam wiki, didn't know it was so goddamn big until I uploaded it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TaurusOxford posted:

The Nu Gundoom is only 1/144 (or technically 1/120) scale though, and not everyone is a fan of the Evolve design.

Right, didn't see the MG until now.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Got this off the Gundam wiki, didn't know it was so goddamn big until I uploaded it.

That is a really loving awesome gimmicky weapon.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's the beam sabers with short blades.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Muffinlord posted:

That is a really loving awesome gimmicky weapon.

Exia is a really loving awesome gundam so it fits.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I think the only problem with the request that it have a hand for tossing 3 at once is that the Exia only has 2. (2 Beam Daggers, 2 normal length Beam Sabers, 1 solid dagger, 1 solid sword, 1 GN-Sword aka the switchblade; Gundam Seven Swords.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpikeMcclane posted:

I think the only problem with the request that it have a hand for tossing 3 at once is that the Exia only has 2. (2 Beam Daggers, 2 normal length Beam Sabers, 1 solid dagger, 1 solid sword, 1 GN-Sword aka the switchblade; Gundam Seven Swords.)

That's just a mistake on my part, which is pretty obvious with the picture I just posted. What made the GN-Sword awesome was how it fitted into Shenburg's Plan rather than just being purely a cool weapon. Stuck fighting something that can use GN particles? Well they don't do jack-poo poo against six-odd meters of sharp metal! :black101:.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I know it's not exactly Gunpla, but I did pick up a new Super Robot Chogokin today.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So I know it's not exactly Gunpla, but I did pick up a new Super Robot Chogokin today.

Its majesty was so great that it shattered the very tables of the forum :worship:.

On a not-exactly-Gunpla note as well, I'm hoping that my local hobby store will have a 1/1000 Space Battleship Yamato in-stock tomorrow. They didn't get any in today's shipment when I visited and they're supposed to be ordered, but they did say they'll be getting some more stuff in tomorrow and they know I'm after one so fingers crossed.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 23, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Meiou :black101:
EDIT: Dammit guess my Gundam X'll be late too, assuming it's the same thing that happened to Bimmi. Here's me wanting something to build over the weekend.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 23, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Hurry up March. I want my Genesic GaoGaiGar. He'll look so good next to Choryujin and Big Volfogg(I refuse to pay ebay 160+ dollars for Gekiryujin).

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Meiou :black101:
EDIT: Dammit guess my Gundam X'll be late too, assuming it's the same thing that happened to Bimmi. Here's me wanting something to build over the weekend.

Balls touch, worlds end.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I haven't heard anything from HLJ, and I made my orders of HG V2 and MG GX way before they stopped taking orders. Add in the 1/144 FA ZZ and the God Hand nippers being backlogged, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to wait till the end of February to hear anything.

EDIT: Oh wait, HG V2 just hit general release today. Agh, early reviews confused me.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 23, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well I guess now's a good time to mention the Koto Raptor came out like two weeks before I expected

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BlitzBlast posted:

I haven't heard anything from HLJ, and I made my orders of HG V2 and MG GX way before they stopped taking orders. Add in the 1/144 FA ZZ and the God Hand nippers being backlogged, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to wait till the end of February to hear anything.

EDIT: Oh wait, HG V2 just hit general release today. Agh, early reviews confused me.

God Hand Nippers are also in stock at 1999/hobby search last time I checked. They're out of stock now, sorry :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not gonna lie, with Build Fighters being a thing I would love to see someone step up and make an Assassin's Creed-themed Exia. GN Hidden Blades. :ninja:

Exia Repair already has the half-cape going on, so it works!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Pom posted:

Not gonna lie, with Build Fighters being a thing I would love to see someone step up and make an Assassin's Creed-themed Exia. GN Hidden Blades. :ninja:

Exia Repair already has the half-cape going on, so it works!

So you're saying you want an Exia Auditore? :haw:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Luminaflare posted:

What floor polish do I want to look for in the UK? As far as I can tell Pledge with future shine isn't sold here any more.

This is the stuff as far as I know.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a good HG or RG Gundam kit built around the principle of MORE DAKKA!? :orks:

I've already got a Seravee Gundam (and heard the Virtue's not that great), along with hearing the Heavyarms and Buster Gundams both have terrible kits on account of age, I was just wondering if there are any gems I might've missed. The FA Unicorn's out too, because any time I see it all I can think of is the opening cutscene from the first Worms game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckbNvrM83A&t=34s

You've already listed the well known ones - may I suggest the 1/144 HG Super Ultra Mega Custom Zaku F2000 Full Armor. For good looks, you could try the Gundam Leopard or Leopard D - both come in 1/144 or 1/100 but don't expect stellar construction/engineering, considering the kits were released mid 90's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UncleRadnor posted:

You've already listed the well known ones - may I suggest the 1/144 HG Super Ultra Mega Custom Zaku F2000 Full Armor. For good looks, you could try the Gundam Leopard or Leopard D - both come in 1/144 or 1/100 but don't expect stellar construction/engineering, considering the kits were released mid 90's.

Hmm... seeing that Zaku gives me an idea. I'm half-considering getting an Amazing Zaku and strapping a second Amazing Booster back onto it. The Leopard's kinda cool, but I know better than to go within ten feet of a kit older than about 2008.

edit: This is what I'm thinking of doing.

:allears:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 23, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you're saying you want an Exia Auditore? :haw:
This pun is goddamn perfect and anybody that makes a AC-Exia in the future needs to use this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you want a modern HG covered in guns, try the AGE-1 Full Glansa, AGE-3 Fortress, FA Gundam 7th, and pretty much anything from Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt was :orks: incarnate really.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

This pun is goddamn perfect and anybody that makes a AC-Exia in the future needs to use this.

The V-fin would be an upside-down version of the Assassin emblem!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

If you want a modern HG covered in guns, try the AGE-1 Full Glansa, AGE-3 Fortress, FA Gundam 7th, and pretty much anything from Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt was :orks: incarnate really.

I keep forgetting about the new Thunderbolt kits. What's the deal with the images that have a second set of over-the-shoulder shields? Is that an alternate setup, or someone mixing and matching kit parts?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They all come with those, dalong just didn't put it on for that shot because you can't really see the model with shields blocking it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When they're about the same price, is FedEx or EMS a better choice?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I prefer Lasership, but that's just because it's called goddamn Lasership.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
It really kind of depends on your location. I know folks in California that always use EMS because it's really quick to there and fedex is kind of crap in their town. Midsouth where I'm at? Fedex in my town is really good, I've never had a fedex package from japan take more than 3 days (and one only took about 18 hours, that was nuts), and I've never had an international package where both were offered that didn't end up with the fedex option being cheaper.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
EMS is cheaper for some reason for me right now so I guess I'll just go with it as the old standby

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Does anybody know where you can find frontal linearts of most gundam designs btw? most of the ones in google are from an angle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone figure out what parts Miss Sazabi is made from yet?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Astray Noir and Red Frame normal arrived today and I did not realise how dumb the sword pistols of the Noir are. I guess they are at the same angle as the gun grip, just a little disjointed, but oh my god everything in Astray has the best swords. Even the little dude piece has swords.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So I finished assembling my very first Gunpla, the HGAC Wing Gundam. Overall, it was a pretty smooth process. It took me about 5 hours, but that's mostly because I can't stand sprue marks and sanding each piece took a while.

I still have to do the panel lining, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow. Here's what it looks like right now.

And you can see more images here: http://imgur.com/a/m6k2V

The photos were taken with my phone camera so they're not fantastic. Let me know what you guys think!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bust a couple of bucks into a panel lining marker and the difference in detail will make it worth the effort. Otherwise good stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I swear that with each new set of screenshots the Mercury Rev just gets more absurd with the number of weapons crammed in. Hurry up and release it already so I can get one, Bandai! :shepspends:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/gundam-ace-mar-2014-issue-dengeki-hobby.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I've been working on a new (well, for me) Quick-wash panel technique to do lining more easy. I have unsteady hands because of a fine-motor condition, so my panel lining with pens tends to look like crap. Since I use enamels for the base and sealing coat, I finish the panel lines with acrylics. If you thin them with water alone to a watery consistency, you can just put the tip of a paintbrush up to the line and the whole thing will fill by itself. there will be a tiny bit of residue if you touched the brush too closely, but you can just wipe that away with a Q-tip. The real useful part of this technique is that you can finish up parts with lots of lines (Like power-pipes on Zeon suits)really quickly just by running the brush lightly over it and then swabbing it lightly. It's fast and produces really nice and thin panel lines. Also, if you want a "weathered" but don't yet want to try the full base coat pre-shading shebang, you can mix a little brown and grey acrylic into the black and just don't swab it over when you dab the line. You'll end up with very faint deposits which look like rusty panel edges. It's not quite as well-blended as a full weathering job and I wouldn't try to pull it off with a Master-Grade, but it ads a little extra touch without a lot of extra efforts for a High-Grade.

The one caveat is: don't use enamels for the panel-lining. It can ruin your base coat if you use too much thinner.

I'd recommend trying it as an alternative to using markers if you have a hard time getting really thin lines, since it doesn't require that you precisely trace the entire line. For that matter, it doesn't require much precision at all- the paint is so dilute that even if you miss a spot when wiping the excess off it'll barely show up.

• Locked thread