Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Midniter posted:

Does it vary state by state, or are police officers the only ones who are allowed to direct/stop traffic?

My daily commute includes passing by an elementary school. During the morning rush hour is when the buses and parents are dropping their precious cargo off at school, so the normally 35 mph zone has flashers indicating a 25 mph limit. I have absolutely no problem with this as going 25 instead of 35 means it takes a couple extra seconds to get past the area.

However, today, traffic backed up for some reason. When I finally got up to the school zone, there was a woman in a reflective raincoat who intermittently walked into the road to stop traffic to allow all the parents of students to exit the school dropoff loop. I don't know why but this pissed me off immensely. If you make the conscious decision to drop your kid off to public school rather than have them take a bus like other kids, it is not my loving problem if it takes some extra time for you to exit the school parking lot due to rush hour traffic. I do not enjoy being inconvenienced and possibly late to work because your precious butterfly child is too vulnerable to wait at a bus stop like kids have done for 50+ years.

I'm tempted to investigate this further to see if what they're doing is legal/allowed, because it wasn't my problem before, and it sure as gently caress shouldn't be now.

High probability that it's flat out illegal. A bunch of good samaritans have been ticketed for directing traffic after lights go out. There are some crossing guard exceptions, but crossing guards are for pedestrians. If they stoppage is just to let cars out then they're just taking advantage of the school zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It really annoys me to see people driving their kids to school, especially here in my town:

* There are school buses
* It's a 15 minute bike ride from anywhere in town to the school
* This is a very safe town; there's nowhere I'd say "don't let your kids ride through that neighborhood".
* Your kids are already fat enough

But noooope, the streets turn into a clusterfuck every day at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. as parents leave their jobs to drive Junior around. The suicide lane backed up for a quarter mile. Lines of SUVs sitting there so they can drop off their kids right at the front door, god forbid the kid might have to walk 50 yards, better to sit in the backseat watching Spongebob again.

My kids will get to ride the bus until they're in middle school, at which point they can opt to take bikes if I think it's safe. I rode the school bus until I got my license, at which point I started driving my shitbox 88 Crown Vic, hotboxing on burning oil.

And when my kids are old enough to drive, they're going to get something old, no brand new car... poo poo, I had a blast with my old car precisely because it was a beater already. I did donuts in the snow, hauled the pep band's drums and amps, and would usually opt to close my door by driving into a trash can.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ror posted:

High probability that it's flat out illegal. A bunch of good samaritans have been ticketed for directing traffic after lights go out. There are some crossing guard exceptions, but crossing guards are for pedestrians. If they stoppage is just to let cars out then they're just taking advantage of the school zone.

I'd be really tempted to give my horn a workout until this person moved. Either that, or call the police and report some random person standing in the middle of the road blocking traffic.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Illegal or not, you're most likely out of luck. Anything concerning minimizing ~~*~ChIlDrEn SaFeTy~*~~ and putting our precious angels in danger will get you stiffarmed by dumb bureaucracy if not flat out laughed at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

But noooope, the streets turn into a clusterfuck every day at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. as parents leave their jobs to drive Junior around. The suicide lane backed up for a quarter mile. Lines of SUVs sitting there so they can drop off their kids right at the front door, god forbid the kid might have to walk 50 yards, better to sit in the backseat watching Spongebob again.

It's not all bad. Kids that are raised like this are less likely to get drivers licenses when they come of age. That translates to fewer idiots on the road, which I think we can all get behind.

There was a report I read on the phenomena a ways back but I can't find it now.. there's a generation of kids forming that don't give a poo poo about cars at all.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

There was a report I read on the phenomena a ways back but I can't find it now.. there's a generation of kids forming that don't give a poo poo about cars at all.

Or a whole bunch of people graduated high school and college during the worst recession since 1929. I'm sure this report also talked about how younger adults live with mom and dad, and forgo other milestone activities like marriage, buying a house and having children until much later in life.

What do all these things have in common?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 22, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Toymachine posted:

Illegal or not, you're most likely out of luck. Anything concerning minimizing ~~*~ChIlDrEn SaFeTy~*~~ and putting our precious angels in danger will get you stiffarmed by dumb bureaucracy if not flat out laughed at.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with the kids - it was solely a measure to allow their parents to bypass rush hour traffic and exit the school. gently caress that, I say.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Midniter posted:

But it has absolutely nothing to do with the kids - it was solely a measure to allow their parents to bypass rush hour traffic and exit the school. gently caress that, I say.
The argument you'll run into is "well if we can't get parents out of there faster, the kids in cars behind will get out in traffic".

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Kill-9 posted:

I share a parking lot with inconsiderate jack-hole co-workers. I came out to my T-Bird Monday evening to find this in the passenger door.

It's about 15" long and down to the metal. Also the pressure against the door caused stress cracks to radiate through the paint all over. You can kind of see it on the left side of the first pic. No one fessed up. I spent an hour yesterday looking at every car in the lot looking for a matching paint transfer. No joy. Also, no working cameras in the lot. There's cameras, they just aren't functional. That helps. Company V.P. was like "That sucks..." and nothing more.

As it's a custom metal flake color I can't just run to Pep Boys for a touch up pen. Going to spend some time wet sanding and buffing to try to minimize it but it's still going to look like hell. A couple guys in the local club that do paint repair have offered to look closer at it this weekend during our cruise.

My rage was indescribable. It still is. How do you miss a 19 foot long bright red and chrome car sitting right next to you?

This boils my loving blood and it's not even my car.

Do not give up the hunt for the guilty party. Question everyone. Inspect every car that comes into that lot with any possible sticky-out parts at that height. Make them pay for the repaint.

with their blood...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Few pages back:

Terrible Robot posted:

Pedestrian wearing all black clothing walking into 45mph traffic without looking? Check.

I regularly ask everybody in my country (suffering an epidemic of people wearing only black, looking only forwards, jaywalking in active dark-hours traffic) to call these incidents in as suicide attempts "because that's what they are". A few deaths a year just locally to this. Four five years ago we had a five-hit streak one summer-fall season of people above the age of 18 with fully functional senses and brain functions walking out blindly in front of slow moving city buses and leaving a dent in bus and concrete, now it's people wearing black doing that at night on 50km/h and above four lane roads that have hooners ricers buses and emergency traffic, because these people are too lazy to take an additional 180 seconds tops of extra walking distance and not risking their lives.

Related addition to a long list of people that make me look forward to eventually leaving my city: The large overweight tub of a man who walked into a store, cursed out a cashier, forced him to move some outdoors sales displays so he could drive 20 meters (65ft) extra to park his car by the minigolf lot, and not the store parking lot. He had no difficulty playing minigolf and he's probably related to the huge clan of useless types who spend ten minutes trying to get a spot as close to a store entrance as possible rather than walking some 30 seconds. I'm living in Sweden, but sometimes I don't know!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Today I saw something that just completely confuses me. I was walking through a car park on campus and a Toyota Starlet was backing out of a spot and driving off. This was about 6pm and it didn't have any headlights on, which is frustrating but not too out of the ordinary as this part of campus is pretty well lit.

At that point I noticed that when backing out there was no reversing light on, and when the car stopped there were no brake lights. I didn't notice any indicators either when it was turning out of the car park, but around here they probably wouldn't be using them anyway because gently caress letting other road users know what your intentions are.

Bear in mind that this car, naturally, was a dark green, and running without any lights whatsoever when it's dark out.

I don't even understand how you could get to a point where literally no external lights on the car are working at all.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

I share a parking lot with inconsiderate jack-hole co-workers. I came out to my T-Bird Monday evening to find this in the passenger door.

It's about 15" long and down to the metal. Also the pressure against the door caused stress cracks to radiate through the paint all over. You can kind of see it on the left side of the first pic. No one fessed up. I spent an hour yesterday looking at every car in the lot looking for a matching paint transfer. No joy. Also, no working cameras in the lot. There's cameras, they just aren't functional. That helps. Company V.P. was like "That sucks..." and nothing more.

As it's a custom metal flake color I can't just run to Pep Boys for a touch up pen. Going to spend some time wet sanding and buffing to try to minimize it but it's still going to look like hell. A couple guys in the local club that do paint repair have offered to look closer at it this weekend during our cruise.

My rage was indescribable. It still is. How do you miss a 19 foot long bright red and chrome car sitting right next to you?

At my local college, back when I owned a firebird, I came out to see another car crossed over the line crushing my bumper. Campus police were called and were bored, they arrived on scene in minutes. The first cop says " move your car so we can see the damage" so i backed up. The second then cop said "well I dont see any collision here." There was damge, they now denied ever seeing my cars bumper cruahed in. They had rhe car that hit me righr there, plates and all, the campus police "too busy". The were cameras everywhere in the lot, they were "too busy" too check if they worked.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vitamins posted:

Today I saw something that just completely confuses me. I was walking through a car park on campus and a Toyota Starlet was backing out of a spot and driving off. This was about 6pm and it didn't have any headlights on, which is frustrating but not too out of the ordinary as this part of campus is pretty well lit.

At that point I noticed that when backing out there was no reversing light on, and when the car stopped there were no brake lights. I didn't notice any indicators either when it was turning out of the car park, but around here they probably wouldn't be using them anyway because gently caress letting other road users know what your intentions are.

Bear in mind that this car, naturally, was a dark green, and running without any lights whatsoever when it's dark out.

I don't even understand how you could get to a point where literally no external lights on the car are working at all.

Was this car park on any sort of slope? Sometimes if I'm parked on a grade and backing out of a spot, I'll just leave it in neutral and coast backward rather than put it in reverse. If he didn't have any lights on, that would explain why no reverse lights came on either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Midniter posted:

Of course it has nothing to do with the saftey of the children, but that's never stopped parents from using "BUT CHILD SAFETY!!!" as an excuse for their pet project(s.) Its just like how if you don't agree with MADD that anyone who is even suspected of having .00000000000000000000000000000001 BAC while behind the wheel should be dragged out of their car and shot in the street then you're automatically in the "I support drunk drivers running over schoolchildren" camp.

Krakkles posted:

The argument you'll run into is "well if we can't get parents out of there faster, the kids in cars behind will get out in traffic".

This is literally what I did in highschool. I lived in the rear end end of the city (between distance, lights and morning traffic it was a 20+ minute drive from my parents' house to the highschool) and if I wanted to ride the bus in the morning I had to be at the stop by 6 AM so my parents drove me in every morning. The traffic getting into the school was horrendous and it would take another 10-15 minutes to wait in line from the nearest traffic light to the school's entrance, about two blocks. My dad instead would drop me off on the street right across from the entrance (bypassing the turning lane into the school parking lot entirely) and I would cross the street and walk the remaining 50 yards into the building.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Do not give up the hunt for the guilty party. Question everyone. Inspect every car that comes into that lot with any possible sticky-out parts at that height. Make them pay for the repaint.

It looks like the scrape changes heights along the length. I'm having a tough time imagining how it was done.

Not to get all Internet CSI, but I would predict it wasn't done by a car, like maybe someone was wheeling a bike and the pedal hit the door or they were using a hand cart or something. Love taps from curvy modern cars tend to make huge vertical scrapes, not long horizontal ones.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Colonel Sanders posted:

At my local college, back when I owned a firebird, I came out to see another car crossed over the line crushing my bumper. Campus police were called and were bored, they arrived on scene in minutes. The first cop says " move your car so we can see the damage" so i backed up. The second then cop said "well I dont see any collision here." There was damge, they now denied ever seeing my cars bumper cruahed in. They had rhe car that hit me righr there, plates and all, the campus police "too busy". The were cameras everywhere in the lot, they were "too busy" too check if they worked.

College security is a loving joke everywhere. We had a student park her car directly in a loading dock, that we use every day, 20 feet from a goddamn parking lot with empty spaces. No parking permit sticker on the car either, which is supposed to be an instant towing. I had to call security three times about it before they even showed up, and when they finally did they said there was "nothing they could do" and hosed off back to sit on Facebook in the office. I said I would just call a tow truck myself but was told I would be fired if I did. There have been a couple other incidents here similar to the one you experienced as well. I have nothing nice to say about the security department or the people that "work" there.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

College security is a loving joke everywhere. We had a student park her car directly in a loading dock, that we use every day, 20 feet from a goddamn parking lot with empty spaces. No parking permit sticker on the car either, which is supposed to be an instant towing. I had to call security three times about it before they even showed up, and when they finally did they said there was "nothing they could do" and hosed off back to sit on Facebook in the office. I said I would just call a tow truck myself but was told I would be fired if I did. There have been a couple other incidents here similar to the one you experienced as well. I have nothing nice to say about the security department or the people that "work" there.

Loading docks are busy places with lots of big things being moved around, it would have been a shame if the car had been accidentally hit by one of them.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thank you stop light for letting me catch this:

The upper pieces were bouncing around pretty good.

The road crews got the roads mostly clear except for a few areas where the small amount of snow had worked its way past the shoulders a bit. I saw a number of people that were so concerned about making sure their passenger side tires didn't come within 3 feet of that encroaching snow that they were paying absolutely no attention to how far over the yellow line their driver's side was. I'm glad my car is tiny so that I only need a small part of my lane.

Craptacular posted:

Loading docks are busy places with lots of big things being moved around, it would have been a shame if the car had been accidentally hit by one of them.

I would be OK with trucks being able to 'ignore' illegally parked cars in loading areas in the same way that fire fighters 'ignore' cars parked in front of a hydrant they need to use.

Galler fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Craptacular posted:

Believe me the thought briefly crossed my mind (specifically throwing some chains around the recovery point and dragging it out of the way), but it's a small, singular dock that gets used twice a day at the most and, again, I would have been fired immediately.

Plus it was an RX-8 and I would have felt a little bad about damaging it, even if the owner is a moron. Oh well, I see it getting started up and driven a few hundred yards and then parked all the time, so eventually karma will destroy their engine for me. Prior to that incident I had seriously considered leaving them a note to let them know how to better care for their rotary but now? gently caress 'em.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to commute past a scrapyard and trucks like that were an almost daily observance.

The unsafe load isn't what surprised me.. it was how much goddamn scrap metal is out there. You'd think that after a year or so they'd run out of garbage to pilfer but nope, there's guys who've been doing it for years and keep finding full truckloads worth of scrap.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Kill-9 posted:

Ugh. If that was a less cool car my reaction would be "wow, man, that sucks bad." but that's The Thunderbird. poo poo.

Also, I agree with the other poster who mentioned that it didn't look like a car did the damage. It's too irregular. All the other parking lot scrapes I've seen have been very clean, I don't know how you'd get that much wiggling from someone grazing it with a bumper or something.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Terrible Robot posted:

There was some rear end in a top hat going around my college campus years ago with a slingshot firing ceramic rocks through people's windshields. I know it was ceramic because the rear end in a top hat did it to the back window of my truck's cap. College police were all "this doesn't seem serious enough."

I ended up having to make a window out of plexiglass that looked like poo poo and was never arsed to get it properly fixed because Mr Slingshot was a regular occurrence for a few years.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I used to commute past a scrapyard and trucks like that were an almost daily observance.

The unsafe load isn't what surprised me.. it was how much goddamn scrap metal is out there. You'd think that after a year or so they'd run out of garbage to pilfer but nope, there's guys who've been doing it for years and keep finding full truckloads worth of scrap.

I know exactly what you mean. I live right by one and every goddamned Saturday those fuckers are lined up down the road with truckbeds FULL of crap. Where are they finding it all?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Scrap trucks do God's work. We've put out everything from old furniture to broken TVs to literal kitchen sinks (and an oven and toilets) on the curb. All gone within three hours. Helped a guy load our old washing machine once, even, and thanked him for taking it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I nearly got to experience a small-overlap crash test from the dummy's position on my way home from work today. I was on my way down Route 1 which is a 55 mph 2 lane road with lots of hills but virtually no curves in this area. Suddenly the car in front of me dodges hard to the right, and I see a van coming at me at a combined speed of around 110 mph about halfway over the line onto my side of the road. I luckily was able to dodge aside in time, but when I looked in my rearview the guy drifted even further into my lane, then pulled hard back onto his side of the road just in time to avoid a head-on collision with the car behind me. He nearly went off the road on the other side from over correcting. I'm assuming he was probably texting.

To top it off, about a minuite later a jeep passed me going the other way with no lights on. At 5:30pm. It was completely dark out and I couldn't even see him until he was on top of me.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a lady stop in the middle of a 55Mph road last night for no apparent reason. I don't think it's safe to stop in the middle of a highway. :psyduck:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

With the amount of idiots driving around with their lights off in fog, darkness, rain, etc, because of various reasons (always lit dash, oblivious, room temp IQ, etc) why do Americans seem to hate daylight running lights?

Honestly it's so much easier to spot oncoming cars with drl's and although they still won't see the road at night, at least we'll be able to see them, and avoid them.

Why are people opposing them?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I tend to drive around with my headlights on.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Why are people opposing them?

The only objections I've heard is due to the incalculable cost of replacing bulbs that no one ever replaces anyways, and BIG GUBMINT INVADIN MAH RIGHTS.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://www.lightsout.org

This may or may not answer your question.

Edit: wait, these objections are...common?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DRLs and always lit gauge clusters are a complete fuckup from a user interface standpoint, but other than that they are a good thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kill-9 posted:

I hit a piece of drywall on the freeway and it did virtually the same thing. I suspect it wasn't a car, too low.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Reading through the thread should give some hints, but for one thing DRLs usually don't turn on the rear lights, so when night rolls around you've got a mess of cars with headlights and no taillights.

Also even in Euro studies they find that the safety benefits you expect implementing mandatory DRLs fade away over time as people become accustomed to them. Which is true of practically any safety aid meant to cover up lack of driver caring.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Also even in Euro studies they find that the safety benefits you expect implementing mandatory DRLs fade away over time as people become accustomed to them. Which is true of practically any safety aid meant to cover up lack of driver caring.

I could also see the problem if DRLs become mandatory - people will get used to seeing a car with headlights as being a moving car, so any dark car your brain will tell you is parked. But if it's a car made before the DRL requirement, you could fail to notice it as rapidly as if everyone had their lights off during the day. Maybe. :shrug:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

I had a lady stop in the middle of a 55Mph road last night for no apparent reason. I don't think it's safe to stop in the middle of a highway. :psyduck:

Oh man, that reminds me of something I forgot to post about. The other week on my way home, just after the road changes from single lane to divided highway I see a car on the shoulder with brake lights on but no hazards, and another car next to it but actually in the right lane, again brake lights on no hazards. I passed by and saw no damage to either car, as far as I could tell they had decided to have a neighborly chat in the middle of the 55mph highway. :psyboom:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://www.lightsout.org

This may or may not answer your question.

Edit: wait, these objections are...common?

Hahaha, number 9:
DRLs are insulting out intelligence. DRL proponents assume that drivers are not intelligent enough to know when to turn on their lights.

Some of their issues is that there is no proven advantage to DRLs. Some are that they believe DRLs are harmful without giving any proof. And all of their alternatives are "driver improvement." Yeah, I mean, ideally, but this thread shows that is a fool's hope.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Didn't they find having most or all cars permanently lit had a negative effect on the visibility of other road users like motorcyclists? Or was that just someone with an axe to grind making stuff up?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Didn't they find having most or all cars permanently lit had a negative effect on the visibility of other road users like motorcyclists? Or was that just someone with an axe to grind making stuff up?

I'd take anything a motorcyclist says about cars being a hazard to them with a grain of salt, as they could probably find a reason why a car sitting on jackstands with its drivetrain removed in a garage somewhere is really just a motorcycle murdering machine waiting to happen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It was a Swedish? study that basically found that when everything has DRLs, the accident reduction benefit bikes got from being the only vehicles with DRLs basically vanished. The Wiki page for DRLs mentions this but the link is broken and I can't Google the right PDF from my phone

If you see a bright headlight coming at you, your brain picks it up and starts plotting course and speed. If you see five hundred of them, the brain gives up. It's pretty easy to notice, just drive a bit on a curvy multilane highway at night.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was a Swedish? study that basically found that when everything has DRLs, the accident reduction benefit bikes got from being the only vehicles with DRLs basically vanished. The Wiki page for DRLs mentions this but the link is broken and I can't Google the right PDF from my phone

If you see a bright headlight coming at you, your brain picks it up and starts plotting course and speed. If you see five hundred of them, the brain gives up. It's pretty easy to notice, just drive a bit on a curvy multilane highway at night.

Easy there, raving motorcyclist.