Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Kreez posted:

Got a new device last week, so I should be following the new rules. I have to wait until at least April 1 to cancel so I can get the phone unlocked, but I'll probably cancel then. On April 1 I'll owe $411 on the device balance, with a $80/mo plan. If I pay off the $411 and switch to Koodo prepaid, I calculate I come out ahead by $300, even if I use exactly 2GB every month. In reality I'll average 1.3 or so, and end up saving $550 over the next 2 years. More if I end up out of the country as much as I was the last 2 years.

By the way, I think Telus messed up my device balance. I got a 16Gb 5C. They had it priced for $129 upfront + $470 device balance = $599. I price matched with future shop and paid $0 upfront, but my device balance was still set to $470, not $599.

Yes, you're on the new rules now. You can cancel whenever you want to have it unlocked, since the 90 day rule applies to a phone that is on subsidy at that time. If you cancel, the phone is no longer on subsidy, so it can be unlocked whenever. 90 days is only if you want to unlock your phone and do not plan on ending your contract. Make sure you've done your math carefully with Koodo prepaid. Remember that with prepaid you aren't paying exactly $30 a month or whatever, you are buying preset denominations that maybe more than what you actually need.

Your device balance is based on the official pricing on a phone. The price Telus had officially set the iPhone 5C at was $129. Futureshop simply chose to eat the remaining $129 that you would have paid, and Telus matched it as a way to close the sale. Unofficial discounts like that are not taken into account for your device balance, so you basically came out ahead in this one.

EDIT: If you want your phone unlocked before April, make sure they don't cancel the line entirely, obviously for porting purposes, and because I've heard Telus can be tricky to deal with for phone unlocking if you aren't a customer anymore.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Since I'm a free agent the end of this month any good monthly plans for someone with an unlocked iPhone 5 out there?

In the lower mainland bc, it's my land line replacement so decent minutes and 2+ GB data would be great. Right now on the Fido $60 plan for unlimited and 2gb.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

priznat posted:

Does anyone know if the $4 value pack fido offers has visual voicemail for iOS as the voicemail?

They have it for $9 standalone and say "or less in a value pack" and there really only is the one value pack.

Fido's site blows. Why don't they even have a mobile version ffs.
I believe so, but you need to make sure you specify you have an iPhone. My mom has Fido and got visual voice mail but it was just voicemail to SMS. When she called in they told her they had set her voicemail up as an Android device so they reset it as an iPhone. No extra charge or anything.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So I have a plan from Fido that's basically their $30 plan but for $25. That's going to expire in March... or at least the $7 credit for voicemail.

Any ideas on what I can do to keep it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So I have a plan from Fido that's basically their $30 plan but for $25. That's going to expire in March... or at least the $7 credit for voicemail.

Any ideas on what I can do to keep it?

Just call up and ask. The CSR should be able to extend your existing plan/credits without any problems.

If not, just ask to be transferred to someone who can.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The Toronto Star posted:

Ottawas auction of wireless airwaves kicks off Tuesday and while a lack of foreign participants means the competitive landscape wont be remade, the auction will lead to improved cellular service across the range of mobile devices.

Eleven entries had been approved to take part in the contest for 20-year leases on 700-megahertz wireless spectrum, with bidding expected to continue for several weeks.

The number fell to 10 late Monday after Industry Canada disclosed that Wind Mobile operator Globalive Wireless Management had withdrawn from the process.

Amsterdam-based VimpelCom, Winds main backer, had informed the government earlier in the day of its decision not to fund the Wind bids, leaving the Toronto carrier with little time to line up alternate financing.

Wind CEO Tony Lacavera said Ottawas failure to approve foreign takeovers in the industry has frustrated offshore investors.

Lacavera added that it is business as usual for Wind, although the lack of 700 MGh band frequency will affect its ability to compete. He said talks on a way forward will continue between Ottawa, Wind and its backers.

Analysts noted Winds pullback could be good news for shareholders in established carriers but they said the drop in new entrant participation in the auction is a blow to the Conservative governments aim to foster competition in the industry to benefit consumers.

Full article.

Wouldn't this basically be the death knell for Wind if they don't get any of the 700mhz spectrum? I know people were holding out hope for Wind getting some blocks of that spectrum to help reception issues.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe they're saving up cash to buy up Mobilicity, though the last news on that front was that they were well below Telus' offer.

It sure makes a mockery of the government's stupid wireless ads, though. Since they started airing that crap and making noise about competitive spectrum auctions, what has happened? Telus bought Public Mobile, and is still the top bidder for Mobilicity. Wow, that sure is some competitiveness right there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

On the radio this morning they said Wind backed out after the government said they couldn't be fully owned by a foreign company. Although I was only half listening while commuting so that may be an over-simplification.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

leidend posted:

On the radio this morning they said Wind backed out after the government said they couldn't be fully owned by a foreign company. Although I was only half listening while commuting so that may be an over-simplification.

It's an oversimplification. Wind's backer VimpelCom had been planning to acquire full control of them last year. The Telecommunications Act doesn't block companies with Wind's market share from being entirely foreign-owned anymore, but foreign takeovers of Canadian companies still have to be approved by Industry Canada. (see also: PotashCorp, Nexen, etc.)

After discussions with Industry Canada last year, VimpelCom abruptly abandoned that bid. It was rumoured that Industry Canada would have rejected them due to unspecified "national security concerns" of the same sort that led them to block Acceleros (another of Naguib Sawiris' investment vehicles) buying Allstream from MTS last year, but obviously this was never confirmed. All this happened before the deadline for registering for the 700MHz auction, though, so if that were the only reason they would never have registered in the first place.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If I live in one of Wind's "Best Coverage" zones, are they a good option?
Thirty bucks for unlimited everything including data sounds great.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I live in Waterloo, which is almost entirely covered, and it's pretty great. The reception works in my basement with a modern phone (not so much with my lovely outdated G1 though). The data is usually fast, but gets slow for an hour or two every other month. I like it, I don't think I'd go back to a non-unlimited carrier unless something drastic happens.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't know what coverage zone you're looking at, but for Vancouver they've matured enough to be a solid choice.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My friend has WIND and we live in a decent coverage zone and his reception is fine. No LTE data but 3G seems to be decently fast for him. The only problem is leaving the city can be a pain, there's not much coverage between major cities and it sucks if you have to travel to an area where there's no coverage. That's the only barrier keeping me from switching.

$30/month for unlimited province wide calling and unlimited data is tough to beat though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm moving at the end of the month to a place with excellent Wind coverage and am considering switching from Rogers. Anyone done this recently? Is it a huge pain in the rear end? I have a decent Rogers plan right now (that I've gotten partially through retentions) with the 6GB/$30 grandfathered addon, but I'm sick of their poo poo.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm moving at the end of the month to a place with excellent Wind coverage and am considering switching from Rogers. Anyone done this recently? Is it a huge pain in the rear end? I have a decent Rogers plan right now (that I've gotten partially through retentions) with the 6GB/$30 grandfathered addon, but I'm sick of their poo poo.

If you could live with losing your number would a grandfathered account like that be sellable?

Anyway, porting to a new provider like wind is usually pretty simple. You need your account number, name/address, etc. Basically you can just bring a bill in to the Wind store and when you sign up they handle the port request and cancellation for you. Apparently it's not a good idea to tell your current provider you are cancelling or they could lock your number which slows down the process or something.

Edit: LOL http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/mob/4257721030.html

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apparently Videotron (Quebec cable/wireless co.) is considering bidding on Mobilicity. Unfortunately, they're owned by Quebecor (think Sun Media and basically all Quebec media), so I would be highly skeptical of a parent company that's possibly even more ruthless and worthless than Rogers or Bell.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Squibbles posted:

If you could live with losing your number would a grandfathered account like that be sellable?

Anyway, porting to a new provider like wind is usually pretty simple. You need your account number, name/address, etc. Basically you can just bring a bill in to the Wind store and when you sign up they handle the port request and cancellation for you. Apparently it's not a good idea to tell your current provider you are cancelling or they could lock your number which slows down the process or something.

Edit: LOL http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/mob/4257721030.html

Hahaha, my plan is almost identical to that, but I pay 75+tax and have 400 weekday minutes plus My5.

I'd definitely rather keep my number, I'll see what I can do. This would be worth cutting my bill almost in half.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sorry to double post, but another question about the moving to Wind thing: I apparently have about 6 months left on my Rogers contract I'll have to pay out. How does that work when I port over? Do I have to phone Rogers and take care of that first?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
No, it will be included in your final Rogers bill. So be prepared for that big one.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry to double post, but another question about the moving to Wind thing: I apparently have about 6 months left on my Rogers contract I'll have to pay out. How does that work when I port over? Do I have to phone Rogers and take care of that first?

Recently, I perfected the art of cancelling at the correct time. The carriers charge in advance, so you need to tell them right before the start of a new cycle that you "intend to cancel". It's important that they don't actually close the account though - or you'll lose the number.

That counts as "30 days" notice. Then, just under a month later, do your port. You'll still owe whatever the cancelation fee is, but they won't be able to charge you for that upcoming month's actual service. If they do, you'll have the CCTS on your side (I didn't have to take it this far though - Rogers surprisingly acknowledged the final bill as a 'mistake' given the cancellation, and revoked it).

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I got a Nexus 5 for christmas and decided to go with Virgin as my carrier, porting over my old number from Public Mobile in the process. When I got my first bill this month I saw an extra $25 charge for the number port on the bill.

My experience in the past has been that number ports are/have to be free. Can I call up Virgin and ask them to remove the charge or am I stuck paying the extra charge? For that matter, if I refused to pay the extra fee for the number port, would Virgin just assign me a new number, even after my old number has already been ported over?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Daysvala posted:

I got a Nexus 5 for christmas and decided to go with Virgin as my carrier, porting over my old number from Public Mobile in the process. When I got my first bill this month I saw an extra $25 charge for the number port on the bill.

My experience in the past has been that number ports are/have to be free. Can I call up Virgin and ask them to remove the charge or am I stuck paying the extra charge? For that matter, if I refused to pay the extra fee for the number port, would Virgin just assign me a new number, even after my old number has already been ported over?

I've never heard of port charges before, so that's kinda weird. Did they perhaps port the number after activation? Or did so without you knowing? If you already have a phone number and want to change it, most carriers charge a $25 fee to do that, whether it's ported or not. However, there should not be a charge for setting up a new account with a ported number as the assigned phone number.

However, if this is a new thing that I'm just not aware of, they won't assign you a new number if you refuse to pay the charge. It would be treated as any other unpaid balance and charge late fees.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm at a bit of a decision point. I have an iPhone 4S with Bell right now, and I've been decently happy with them. I have a plan that used to be amazing but with the latest changes in other carriers, now it's just A Good Plan. It's unlimited texts, unlimited data, 500 daytime minutes and every option (voicemail, call waiting, etc) for $67 taxes inc.

My 3-year contract is up in October and I'm looking at my next option. I'm eligible for a Telus corporate plan that would be effectively unlimited at a max of $47/mo, but I'd have to buy the device outright. I did the math and I'd save about $700 over a three year span, compared to resigning with Bell for a 5S and paying their normal rate for the new phone.

I'm thinking about playing hard to get with Bell's retention people to get them to even up the deal a bit. But the only thing holding me back is that tethering would be allowed with Telus but I don't think it would be allowed with Bell.

Does anyone have experience with Bell allowing tethering data?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How the gently caress do you get unlimited data

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

ante posted:

Used to be possible many years ago for regular people, and more recently for bell employees. Doesn't exist anymore.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Bell allows tethering. But don't expect a chance in hell of getting a plan with unlimited data.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Or jailbreak and don't give a gently caress about whether your carrier allows tethering or not (which honestly is none of their sodding business to begin with).

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ante posted:

6 year old business plan that I've refused to give up when I've renewed each time.

Honestly, the only way I'd ever stay with Bell would be if they could give me the phone for free and allow tethering. I'm doubtful this will happen.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

6 year old business plan that I've refused to give up when I've renewed each time.

Honestly, the only way I'd ever stay with Bell would be if they could give me the phone for free and allow tethering. I'm doubtful this will happen.

Tethering is no problem. I have no way of telling whether or not you are tethering. I'm pretty sure tethering is something only international carriers get pissy about for some reason.

Unless you are a corporate customer, there's no chance of getting that plan back. You're renewing on a 2 year term now, there's no getting it back. And I have serious doubts about a $0 5s. Carriers are extremely anal about iPhones. You'd have an easier time getting a Note 3 for $0 than an iPhone.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

OilSlick posted:

Tethering is no problem. I have no way of telling whether or not you are tethering. I'm pretty sure tethering is something only international carriers get pissy about for some reason.

Carriers such as AT&T are known to do deep-packet inspection of traffic to detect 'unauthorized' tethering. It's a travesty - it's none of their goddamn business how you spend your [non-unlimited] bytes. But yeah, I haven't heard of it happening up here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lexicon posted:

it's none of their goddamn business how you spend your [non-unlimited] bytes.
With Bell's new privacy and ad policy, it's literally becoming their business unfortunately.

I'm jumping off that ship as soon as I can.

I walked into Telus who just opened up shop here. You'd think they'd learn a little more about their competitors. They didn't have any idea about the policy change even though it's been in the news and is (was?) being reviewed by the CRTC.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

OilSlick posted:

Unless you are a corporate customer, there's no chance of getting that plan back. You're renewing on a 2 year term now, there's no getting it back. And I have serious doubts about a $0 5s. Carriers are extremely anal about iPhones. You'd have an easier time getting a Note 3 for $0 than an iPhone.

I strongly disagree on the tethering. I tried it briefly (opened up two websites on my iPad using my iPhone as a hotspot) and Bell tried to bill me $150 in data because my plan didn't include tethering.

I was never actually a corporate client. The shop I was signed up at had somehow slipped me in with some kind of trucking firm and I've been riding in that plan for 7 years. I've renewed twice with no issues. Last time I renewed I was told the plan didn't exist anymore but they'd honour it to keep me.

Is it just because of the new contracts that you think they couldn't keep me on it? If so, I guess it's definitely Telus for me.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah basically everyone who has to renew needs to pick an in-market 2 year plan, they're not allowed to renew contracts for 3 years for consumers anymore.

Also I believe by default tethering operates over a different APN than regular data so that's probably how they tracked your tethering usage.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

DarkJC posted:

Yeah basically everyone who has to renew needs to pick an in-market 2 year plan, they're not allowed to renew contracts for 3 years for consumers anymore.

Also I believe by default tethering operates over a different APN than regular data so that's probably how they tracked your tethering usage.

I guess it'll definitely be telus then. I can't see any way for Bell to swing things to make it worth my while to stay with them any more.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had to increase my data plan from 500mb before Rogers would allow me to tether. But I needed more anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DarkJC posted:

When did this change? I renewed on my definitely-not-in-market plan for a Nexus 5 in November

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

I strongly disagree on the tethering. I tried it briefly (opened up two websites on my iPad using my iPhone as a hotspot) and Bell tried to bill me $150 in data because my plan didn't include tethering.

I was never actually a corporate client. The shop I was signed up at had somehow slipped me in with some kind of trucking firm and I've been riding in that plan for 7 years. I've renewed twice with no issues. Last time I renewed I was told the plan didn't exist anymore but they'd honour it to keep me.

Is it just because of the new contracts that you think they couldn't keep me on it? If so, I guess it's definitely Telus for me.

I've never seen a specific charge for tethering. There's no plan or feature I can add to your account that has anything to do with tethering. I've tethered a couple of gigs myself when I was waiting to have internet hooked up in my apartment. Perhaps its got something to do with having unlimited data? I guess if you could tether unlimited data that would put a pretty big strain on the network, and since almost no one has it that would explain why I nor my colleagues have ever encountered a problem.

And yes, it's definitely because of the two year contract change that you cannot keep the existing plan. If you were corporate, it probably wouldn't be an issue. If Telus is going to be corporate, you might as well get on that since it's exempt from most of the changes, yet some benefits (like phone pricing) still apply.

grack posted:

When did this change? I renewed on my definitely-not-in-market plan for a Nexus 5 in November

November was the final month for 3 year contracts.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

I've never seen a specific charge for tethering. There's no plan or feature I can add to your account that has anything to do with tethering. I've tethered a couple of gigs myself when I was waiting to have internet hooked up in my apartment. Perhaps its got something to do with having unlimited data? I guess if you could tether unlimited data that would put a pretty big strain on the network, and since almost no one has it that would explain why I nor my colleagues have ever encountered a problem.

Back in the days of the UNPDA $30 unlimited SOC and the 4/8mb etc data plans, tethering wasn't included. Tethering uses a different APN which allowed Bell to flag it and charge you boatloads of money.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

OilSlick posted:

November was the final month for 3 year contracts.

I renewed on a 2 year contract. I was asking when "having to renew on an in-market" thing changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

grack posted:

I renewed on a 2 year contract. I was asking when "having to renew on an in-market" thing changed.

At the same time. That said, it's possible that something could have been done in advance to allow you to keep the plan.

less than three posted:

Back in the days of the UNPDA $30 unlimited SOC and the 4/8mb etc data plans, tethering wasn't included. Tethering uses a different APN which allowed Bell to flag it and charge you boatloads of money.

You know, I just realized something. Until a year ago, Bell employees had unlimited data included in their employee accounts, and we definitely were never charged for tethering. Kind of odd, I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want you to tether with an unlimited data plan, but I don't see why they'd let us get away with that since I'm sure lots of us probably went to town with it.