Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

Good find and thank you.

Although now after reading review i'm not sure the Sharp is the clear winner between the two. I may hitup the local BB and see if they will price match this.

No prob. Just got Best Buy to price match the 60" version on Dell's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Sharp LC-70le650u v. Vizio E701i-A3

$100 price difference favoring the Vizio + the Costco factor.

Any opinions either way?

I'm leaning toward the Vizio and extra year of warranty coverage.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 22, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'll be getting a SmartTV soon for the first time. I have an AppleTV, so I won't be using most of the actual TV apps, but out of curiosity - how does the audio get to the receiver? Do I need to hook up a separate toslink cable from the TV to the receiver, or does the HDMI input of the TV actually send audio in the other direction when using the on-TV apps?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It depends on if your receiver supports ARC (audio return channel). If so, it should be able to send the audio back through one of the HDMI connections. If not, you usually use an optical cable.

Strokemouth
Aug 10, 2004
.malapropist.

Sointenly posted:

Sharp LC-70le650u v. Vizio E701i-A3

$100 price difference favoring the Vizio + the Costco factor.

Any opinions either way?

I'm leaning toward the Vizio and extra year of warranty coverage.

I picked up the E701i-A3 from Best Buy back in December when it was on sale for $1499. I've been very happy with it so far. I haven't had a chance to pick up a calibration disc yet, but going off of some of the settings I found through avsforum, I'm very impressed with the picture. I notice very little flashlighting and no noticeable clouding. The smart features are fine, I'll use its built-in Netflix until Roku supports profiles, but that's about it. Maybe YouTube occasionally. Input lag was a big consideration and there isn't any to speak of with gaming mode on. I've put in a lot of PS4 time on it already.

I'm very happy so far, but there is that little piece of me that is still a little uneasy going with Vizio, so I also went with the 4 year warranty on squaretrade.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm thinking of picking up a 60" Panasonic VT60, any reason that's a dumb or bad idea? Does anyone have info on input lag numbers for it? I couldn't find anything on either of the lists linked in the OP and know that the ST60 isn't good for gaming but the S60 is fine so...?

It would be used for playing games and, uh, watching video. I'd probably buy an extended warranty via the retailer or squaretrade since Panasonic's killing off their plasma line and replacement parts or units will presumably be non-existent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You might want to consider picking up the Samsung F8500 instead. They are pretty comparable in picture quality and the Samsung is capable of getting quite a bit brighter. The Samsung TVs are also reportedly a bit more resistant to IR. Also, they are going to continue making them at least through the end of 2014 so you have fewer warranty concerns.

Most importantly, you can actually buy one. I don't know where you were planning on getting a 60VT60, but they are pretty much all gone on Amazon. Best Buy in my area claims they can get one in 7-10 days, but I'm doubting it quite a bit.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

bull3964 posted:

You might want to consider picking up the Samsung F8500 instead. They are pretty comparable in picture quality and the Samsung is capable of getting quite a bit brighter. The Samsung TVs are also reportedly a bit more resistant to IR. Also, they are going to continue making them at least through the end of 2014 so you have fewer warranty concerns.

Most importantly, you can actually buy one. I don't know where you were planning on getting a 60VT60, but they are pretty much all gone on Amazon. Best Buy in my area claims they can get one in 7-10 days, but I'm doubting it quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw your posts over the past few pages and the headaches you'd had with yellow blotches and lack of repair options and that's largely what prompted me to want to spring for the extended warranty (which I very rarely do for anything other than Applecare). Almost everything else I've seen while researching though has suggested that the Panasonics are the way to go if you can find one. Best Buy says they can get me a 60" VT60 on clearance for $1800 which is $600 less than the 60" F8500; if they can't actually come up with one for that price though I'm going to have to drop down to a lower tier of TV; $1800 is stretching my budget as it is.

Did you happen to run across any info on input lag on the VT60 when you were researching it as a replacement option?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

25-30ms, should be fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a 60VT60 and I'm a pretty decent video gamer, it's beautiful and works great.

I play FPSes online, not rhythm or fighting games.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for the replies but Best Buy are apparently loving liars and don't actually have any VT60s available, they just don't tell you that until you create an account and try to actually buy one.

So I'm back to square one. Suggestions for:
• ≥60"
• ≤$2000 USD (including 7% tax)
• For 2D video and gaming; don't care at all about 3D
• Decent "smartv" apps are a bonus but I'm fine with using a Roku or AppleTV
• Ambient light isn't a huge concern
• A sane remote would also be a nice bonus until I sort out a universal remote option
• Probably goes without saying but I really, really hate the Soap Opera/80s Video effect

he;lp?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Is a Best Buy floor model Panasonic 50" S60 an ok idea or should I spend the extra $150 on a brand new Samsung 51" F5500? I'm easily swayed by internet hype but I'm not sure I would even be able to notice the difference. I've got a nearby best buy with one that is missing the stand. I guess it would be a wash if I needed to buy a new stand since I'm not planning on wall mounting?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Lawen posted:

Thanks for the replies but Best Buy are apparently loving liars and don't actually have any VT60s available, they just don't tell you that until you create an account and try to actually buy one.

• ≥60"
• A sane remote would also be a nice bonus until I sort out a universal remote option
• Probably goes without saying but I really, really hate the Soap Opera/80s Video effect

he;lp?

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except I'm a little more concerned by ambient light and a little less by smart TV features.

Also, are there any TVs that turn on and/or switch inputs notably faster than others? I've got a 2011 LG in another room, and while I mostly love it (especially the motion remote), it is frustratingly slow in those respects.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Lawen posted:

• ≥60"

he;lp?

Thoom posted:

I'm in pretty much the same boat, except I'm a little more concerned by ambient light and a little less by smart TV features.

Also, are there any TVs that turn on and/or switch inputs notably faster than others? I've got a 2011 LG in another room, and while I mostly love it (especially the motion remote), it is frustratingly slow in those respects.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS/

I got mine on a lightning deal for like $650 and I love it so far. I don't use the built-in apps but it's very slick with a Roku.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Any thoughts on or experiences with the Samsung F7100 series (specifically this UN60F7100AFXZA)?

There's a mostly positive AVS thread about it but I'm always wary of new buyer confirmation bias and can't find much in the way of 3rd-party, independent reviews from e.g. reviewed.com or cnet. Anyone have thoughts or links to reviews you could throw my way?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Lawen posted:

I would still suggest you try and hunt one down. If you know plasma is what you want, nothing on the market, except very very expensive models, will live up to the VT60. This is the last model of Panasonics top of the line plasma that will see the light of day, and you won't be able to find anything even remotely comparable.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
OK, I've had my Sony kdl-55w900a set up for a few days now. And I'm really liking it. Playing games on it feels better than my old TV, crazy how much a tv with piss poor lag can affect things. Might end up spending a bit more on console games now as a result. 3d is awesome. Came with 4 pairs of 3d glasses, so don't need to spring for a couple more. Watched Star Trek and Prometheus in 3D. And it looks awesome. I haven't done any calibration or settings adjustments yet. Plan on waiting until I get it mounted up on the wall before I do that.

A cool thing that I didn't expect is right out the box, the remote/tv can control the Sony DVD player / home theater setup I have. So volume on the TV remote automatically controls the volume on the "receiver". And if I ever change modes on the DVD player, the TV speakers will automatically cut back in if there is audio to be heard.

Its just a TV, so its not life changing or anything, but I'm pretty pleased with it. Big upgrade from my last few sets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the Samsung F8500 is more than remotely comparable. In fact, it's won several shootouts against the VT60 (and even the ZT60) over the past year. They are all very very close. The Saumsung is just a bit more expensive though.

Syves posted:

OK, I've had my Sony kdl-55w900a set up for a few days now. And I'm really liking it.

I will have had mine a week today and I'm extremely happy with it (and that's coming from a Panny plasma.) Black levels in completely darkened rooms obviously don't match my ST50. However, color reproduction is just as good if not better (hard to fully compare since I have color meter now where I didn't when I was using the ST50) and brightness is top notch. Shadow detail is excellent.

Uniformity when viewing a full screen of solid colors isn't quite as good as my ST50 (discounting the yellow splotches) but it's nothing that can usually be seen while watching content. About the only artifacts I see while watching content are some bands on vertical panning due to the different LED zones and a bit of DSE on full white backgrounds you sometimes see on commercials. However, even when operating fine, the ST50 wasn't perfect there. For every instance of banding I could see due to the backlight zones on this TV, there were an equal number of scenes on my ST50 that would produce line bleed. Mine also always had a faint bar running down the right hand side of the screen that is fairly common and you see a lot of people report. It's basically just trading some picture artifacts for others.

If there was one thing I really wish I could change on the Sony is viewing angles. However, that's not something that usually impacts me since I'm nearly always watching the TV front and center.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2014

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Looking for an affordable 32" 1080p LCD that I want to use as the playfield for a virtual pinball cabinet. It will have a 32" playfield and a 24" backglass screen. The 32 will be decased and lay flat.
I figured that I would have to settle for a Samsung 32EH5000 or an LG 32LN5300, but found this at Costco for $249(I work there). Philips 32PFL5708
It is out of stock in most places now, but there are 12 about 3 hours from me. Plus the buyer said more should arrive next month.

Specs show it as an IPS 1080p (1920x1080) with a contrast ration of 1200:1. Response time is 6.5ms. There are only 2 Philips screens listed in the Display Lag database, with a Great on both.
Amazon only has 3 reviews, but all are 5 star. Does anyone have any experience with a Philips screen?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lawen posted:

Any thoughts on or experiences with the Samsung F7100 series (specifically this UN60F7100AFXZA)?

There's a mostly positive AVS thread about it but I'm always wary of new buyer confirmation bias and can't find much in the way of 3rd-party, independent reviews from e.g. reviewed.com or cnet. Anyone have thoughts or links to reviews you could throw my way?

My parents love ours but it does have issues sometimes when playing blu-rays at 24p. Once in awhile the sound will go completely out of sync. It only happens when 24p is activated. If you turn it off the movie plays fine. I saw one or two other people with this issue on the AVS forum but it's not that widespread. Still kind of annoying though.

e: I've also seen the video lag sometimes if you have auto-motion plus set on deblurring 10 and dejudder 0 so I just turned it off completely on the set. I'm not sure if the tv's firmware is up to date either so that might be why the tv is having some of those problems.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2014

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Strokemouth posted:

I picked up the E701i-A3 from Best Buy back in December when it was on sale for $1499. I've been very happy with it so far. I haven't had a chance to pick up a calibration disc yet, but going off of some of the settings I found through avsforum, I'm very impressed with the picture. I notice very little flashlighting and no noticeable clouding. The smart features are fine, I'll use its built-in Netflix until Roku supports profiles, but that's about it. Maybe YouTube occasionally. Input lag was a big consideration and there isn't any to speak of with gaming mode on. I've put in a lot of PS4 time on it already.

I'm very happy so far, but there is that little piece of me that is still a little uneasy going with Vizio, so I also went with the 4 year warranty on squaretrade.

Thank you for the feedback, I spent a good chunk of time yesterday going over reviews and with the exception of a few that sort of smelled of snobbery, all have been very positive. I think i'll head down to costco after work today and pick it up!

One negative that did come up quiet a bit was out of the box performance, do you have any comment on that? Did you have to do a ton of tweaking to get it looking decent?

Other than that, my only complaint for now is that I'll have to wait until i get some help this weekend to actually hang it.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

One negative that did come up quiet a bit was out of the box performance, do you have any comment on that? Did you have to do a ton of tweaking to get it looking decent?

Grab settings off AVS forum (or the cnet forums) and plug them in.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Petey posted:

I ended up going with the PN51F4500, but sit close enough (within 7") to my TV that I wish I had the 1080p.

Did you end up keeping this tv? Wondering what your thoughts are on it after a week or 2 of use.

I've had my heart set on the new 2014 E-series 42" Vizio, but only because the Panasonic 42" S60 is impossible to get anymore, and there really aren't any other 1080p plasmas in this size range.

My Vizio isn't supposed to arrive until somewhere between the 5th and the 14th of February, so I was considering picking up the Samsung PN43F4500 since it's cheap right now, and then doing a head to head comparison with the Vizio when it arrives, and keeping whichever one I like better. I had initially dismissed this tv for not being 1080p, but everyone raves about the PQ anyway, so I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

EDIT: Does the Samsung have any kind of 24p mode or accept a 24p signal?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 23, 2014

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I'll be in the market for a new TV soon, here's my requirements:

1080p
Under $1k, preferably about $800
40"-60", not too particular about size
Low input lag
Don't care one bit about 3D or "smart" features
Literally everything will be going through an HTPC or console, even cable
It'll be in a room that can get a fair amount of natural light, but I can also close the blinds if it's a problem

Any recommendations? I'm also not in a huge rush here, I've been living without a TV for 6 months now (just moved, used a roommate's before), I can live without one for long enough for a sale/something to come back in stock/whatever.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Ended up going with the 65" Samsung F7100A.

FYI, if anyone wants a 60" VT60 for $1800, there's one at the Summerlin, Nevada Best Buy. AFAICT it's the only one in any Best Buys anywhere in the country, and they won't ship it or transfer it to another store even if you offer to foot the cost. Maybe someone local can take advantage of this info.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Lawen posted:

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Ended up going with the 65" Samsung F7100A.

FYI, if anyone wants a 60" VT60 for $1800, there's one at the Summerlin, Nevada Best Buy. AFAICT it's the only one in any Best Buys anywhere in the country, and they won't ship it or transfer it to another store even if you offer to foot the cost. Maybe someone local can take advantage of this info.

I picked one up for this price on Sunday at Best Buy. The Best Buy in Pembroke Pines has 2 more. There's an open box one in the Doral store. Ignore this is you're not in South Florida.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh, cool. My LG TV got upgraded to the new Netflix UI. It kind of sucks because the old UI was a lot better, but it's cool that it can be done.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Trump posted:

I would still suggest you try and hunt one down. If you know plasma is what you want, nothing on the market, except very very expensive models, will live up to the VT60. This is the last model of Panasonics top of the line plasma that will see the light of day, and you won't be able to find anything even remotely comparable.

After looking for and giving up on finding a reasonably-priced P65ZT60 I settled for the P65VT60. Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to see how the ZT series could be much better because the VT is absolutely fantastic. The only real issue is whether my P50GT25 is too large for the bedroom (yes) and whether I should put it there anyway (yes).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an old Sharp Aquos, and want to hook up my PC speakers to it. Making sure I know how to go about this real quick. This is the back panel:

Cable box is hooked up to input 4, PS3 on input 5. I would need one of these to put in the audio terminals for input 5, correct? And the speakers would only show up for whatever is in input 5.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have an old Sharp Aquos, and want to hook up my PC speakers to it. Making sure I know how to go about this real quick. This is the back panel:

Cable box is hooked up to input 4, PS3 on input 5. I would need one of these to put in the audio terminals for input 5, correct? And the speakers would only show up for whatever is in input 5.

Those terminals are input, that appears to be to run an audiosource into the tv on input 5. You appear to only have a digital output.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Don Lapre posted:

Those terminals are input, that appears to be to run an audiosource into the tv on input 5. You appear to only have a digital output.

Oh, derp, you're right. How do I accomplish this then?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh, derp, you're right. How do I accomplish this then?

If your TV only has digital audio output, and you need sound from 2 channel analog speakers, then you'll need something like this digital-to-analog converter.

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Co...Optical-Toslink

(I picked this one at random, I've never used it so I can't vouch for it.) Note that most of these converters only work with PCM, not Dolby Digital, and not all TVs output PCM digital in all modes.

It kills me that they stopped putting analog audio output jacks on TVs. I'll also need some kind of D/A adapter like this next time I get a new TV so I can keep using it with my old amp.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Ugh. My Panasonic TC-P50ST50 I bought in August 2012 just bit it. Seven blinking lights of death. Reading the repair manual and swapping out replacement boards is well within my comfort level, I just don't know if I want to spend time on waiting for parts to ship. Anyone else tackle this problem?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Costco has the Samsung 60" Plasma PN60F5350A for $750. I like its picture better than the Samsung 60" LED next to it. Currently have a 42" plasma in the room, is there any downside to this TV (input lag, etc)?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hed posted:

Costco has the Samsung 60" Plasma PN60F5350A for $750. I like its picture better than the Samsung 60" LED next to it. Currently have a 42" plasma in the room, is there any downside to this TV (input lag, etc)?

I bought the 50" ~2 weeks ago. It does have some glare, and the stand which comes with it is awful, but other than that, I really like it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I just got a $1000 Amazon gift card from SquareTrade to buy a replacement TV. Am I better off catching one of these SUPER MEGA FOOTBALL GAME sales that big box stores are having now this week (or comparable models on Amazon), or wait until after the game and see if those stores or Amazon are clearing out excess inventory? The previous screen was a 58" Samsung Plasma bought in Jan 2011, and I'd like to stick to around the same size or a tad larger, but price is flexible from $700-1200 and the screen technology can be whatever this go around.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 30, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that most places have like 2 weeks to price match.

One bit of input I have is, aside from Vizo, all the "new" models shown at CES are either a lateral to step back from their 2013 models. Most are cannibalizing their high end 1080p sets and shifting that market to low end 4k now. MSRPs are also pretty much lower across the board for 2014 models, but the current 2013 prices are better now (even if their original MSRP was higher.)

So, my recommendation is probably not to wait as the prices probably aren't going to get much better and the 2013 stock is going to start drying up soon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So since finding a VT60 set is impossible now, Wal-Mart has an LG 60PN5000 for $600.

I know this isn't the best, but the best isn't available any more. :(

Are there any other sets I should seriously consider? Looking for a plasma (ideally) to watch movies and play games.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What tier would the Samsung F8500 be comparable to on the Panasonic side? ST? VT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

merk posted:

What tier would the Samsung F8500 be comparable to on the Panasonic side? ST? VT?

VT or ZT. It's usually compared to the ZT under most circumstances.

I wouldn't even consider an LG plasma, they are the bottom of the barrel. If the F8500 is too rich for your blood, I would look at the F5500 or F5300 (really the same as the F5500 but no 3d.)