Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

cleaned up

Spazz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Who we are: A small copier dealer/repair/lease/imaging software company
Where we are: Cobb County, GA
Who we are looking for: Entry level IT to field calls from customers and serve as a backup to the IT Manager (Me). Salary will probably be around 20-25k to start, with paid incentive raises for Certifications gained on the job.

Copier technicians also wanted.

The Good: This job will pay for training, here, and out of state. Company has been around 30 years. Chance to get in and rebuild IT infrastructure soon with IT department having additional hands.

The Bad: The company is small, and you will have to deal with the owner and his requests from time to time. Traffic sucks, but it's Atlanta.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Might as well give this a shot:

My Experience: General helpdesk/faculty/AV support at a major public university for 6+ years. I also manage most of the video conferencing for my school. I have a lot of experience in Windows/Mac, and I've been running Linux at home and some small servers in AWS to help teach myself new things.

What I'm looking for: I want to move to a more challenging network or infrastructure-related role, and I just got my CCNA to help out with this.

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1/call center

Where I live: Ann Arbor, MI

Where I'm looking: Southeast Michigan

Requirements: Full Time

When I can start: Within two weeks notice

How I can be reached: PMs or email thethirdman.sa@gmail.com

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
FILLED

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 1, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ElGroucho posted:

Guys! We are looking for a Help Desk dude!

Who we are: A mid-size Integrated Chip manufacturer!

Where we are: Austin, TX

Who we are looking for: Entry level IT. Recent grad preferred, but not required. Be as local as possible. Bachelor's degree required, science degree preferred - 0 years of IT experience required. Are you your friends and families IT guy? Apply!

The Good: Downtown Austin, buddy. Great location, good pay, great benefits. Very rarely work outside of 8-5 block.

The Bad: Little fires all the time! Once a month, week-long pager rotation for late night emergencies. You'll have to work with me.

Contact: PM me here, or email me at jose-magallanes@live.com
I'd apply but no degree and not local. :(

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Send it to me anyway. I think it's a stupid requirement. If HR despairs enough, maybe they'll start looking out those, too.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I have a question for you guys. I know a lot about the design industry, and most designers prefer to work at an agency that gets different projects. Being the in-house designer for a company can get boring fast (I did it forever, and I still do it even though I'm a partner/vice president of our company now). I assume it is the same in software development, correct?

We are a CCTV Security business, we import and wholesale DVRs and Cameras to resellers and installers. With these units are software, the DVR's OS is an embedded linux written by the Chinese manufacturer. There's PC & Mac software that acts as a DVR, where you can view your video live, record video to your laptop, download video that's been recorded on the DVR, configure things, etc... It does almost everything the DVR does, so you don't have to go to the unit (a lot of DVR's get installed into racks and tucked into a closet with other routers & network non-sense). Then there are mobile apps that allow you to do the same thing on your phone, but not as in depth. You can view video, view recorded video, take snapshots, receive push notifications if an alarm is triggered (motion detection, HDD Failure, whatever the alarm is).

The problem is the Chinese can't write software to save their lives. They're terrible. Horrible. They'll get it working to a certain degree and think that's acceptable and send it out and when you bitch that it can't download an AVI to your computer they don't care, "just don't use that function!"

Long story short, there are too many headaches dealing with the manufacturer for software, and we want to create our own software, own the code (the Chinese refuse to let us see any source code for the apps, it's incredible, they'll steal the code from another company, copy it, and then get snooty when you want to buy a copy to make your own changes...).

The vendors and software and CCTV industry is progressing a lot more rapidly than it used to, we have 5 & 3 Megapixel and 1080p security cameras, HD-SDI, Network/IP Cameras, and there's a new technology we're launching this year as well. My ideal situation would be to have a software developer on staff, more than fairly compensated (our pay rates are really good, we're not lovely to our employees, we provide healthcare benefits and a good work environment with great hours (mon-fri, 10-6, paid holidays) etc...). This employee would manage and update and write all of our applications, if a new product came in and it was incompatible hopefully he could find a way to make it work with our software. If we want to sell OEM apps to our customers (just throw their logo on it) he can handle that too.

The problem is that the project to get started is a huge loving project. We can't get the code for the current software for this employee to work off of. There's an SDK available that has some C++ code examples for certain features, but other than that they're going to be on their own.

I met with a friend who works for a software development company, and he said the scope is pretty large and that he'd be uncomfortable doing it alone, and that he'd rather have me pitch it to his company than to hire him. He said if I already had the code it'd be a totally different story.

So how do you guys think I should go about this? I suppose I could use a company to develop the software initially, then hire a guy to maintain it as the industry grows and changes, and add features and all that jazz as time goes on. Or I could find someone who wants the challenge and position and they can get to work asap on the coding and hopefully in 6 months we have something to start with...

I don't want to ramble too much, but can you guys help me get pointed in the right direction, the protocol of how this industry handles these things, and what my best bet is?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

RizieN posted:

I have a question for you guys. I know a lot about the design industry, and most designers prefer to work at an agency that gets different projects. Being the in-house designer for a company can get boring fast (I did it forever, and I still do it even though I'm a partner/vice president of our company now). I assume it is the same in software development, correct?

We are a CCTV Security business, we import and wholesale DVRs and Cameras to resellers and installers. With these units are software, the DVR's OS is an embedded linux written by the Chinese manufacturer. There's PC & Mac software that acts as a DVR, where you can view your video live, record video to your laptop, download video that's been recorded on the DVR, configure things, etc... It does almost everything the DVR does, so you don't have to go to the unit (a lot of DVR's get installed into racks and tucked into a closet with other routers & network non-sense). Then there are mobile apps that allow you to do the same thing on your phone, but not as in depth. You can view video, view recorded video, take snapshots, receive push notifications if an alarm is triggered (motion detection, HDD Failure, whatever the alarm is).

The problem is the Chinese can't write software to save their lives. They're terrible. Horrible. They'll get it working to a certain degree and think that's acceptable and send it out and when you bitch that it can't download an AVI to your computer they don't care, "just don't use that function!"

Long story short, there are too many headaches dealing with the manufacturer for software, and we want to create our own software, own the code (the Chinese refuse to let us see any source code for the apps, it's incredible, they'll steal the code from another company, copy it, and then get snooty when you want to buy a copy to make your own changes...).

The vendors and software and CCTV industry is progressing a lot more rapidly than it used to, we have 5 & 3 Megapixel and 1080p security cameras, HD-SDI, Network/IP Cameras, and there's a new technology we're launching this year as well. My ideal situation would be to have a software developer on staff, more than fairly compensated (our pay rates are really good, we're not lovely to our employees, we provide healthcare benefits and a good work environment with great hours (mon-fri, 10-6, paid holidays) etc...). This employee would manage and update and write all of our applications, if a new product came in and it was incompatible hopefully he could find a way to make it work with our software. If we want to sell OEM apps to our customers (just throw their logo on it) he can handle that too.

The problem is that the project to get started is a huge loving project. We can't get the code for the current software for this employee to work off of. There's an SDK available that has some C++ code examples for certain features, but other than that they're going to be on their own.

I met with a friend who works for a software development company, and he said the scope is pretty large and that he'd be uncomfortable doing it alone, and that he'd rather have me pitch it to his company than to hire him. He said if I already had the code it'd be a totally different story.

So how do you guys think I should go about this? I suppose I could use a company to develop the software initially, then hire a guy to maintain it as the industry grows and changes, and add features and all that jazz as time goes on. Or I could find someone who wants the challenge and position and they can get to work asap on the coding and hopefully in 6 months we have something to start with...

I don't want to ramble too much, but can you guys help me get pointed in the right direction, the protocol of how this industry handles these things, and what my best bet is?

First of all, you need to evaluate your need for making your own software package, and do a cost benefit analysis of producing it. In reality, adding a software product isn't as simple as contracting a dev for a few months to give you a product. You'll want to commit to having a software development team working full time on the software development lifecycle. This means you'll need developers, yes, but you'll also want someone working on design, user experience, collaborating with stakeholders and end users on feature requests, and organizing the development effort to ensure that deliverables are met in a timely and complete fashion. You're also going to want to have at least a full time developer working on test to write and execute automated and manual test cases. At minimum you're looking at three full time employees, though depending on the depth and scope of the program you may want to up that number to add more development and/or test as needed.

Does the size of your business allow for this? Do you see a better written program as a vehicle to increase sales enough to compensate for that?

Contracting to a company to develop the program will probably be a more difficult, though potentially cheaper in the beginning as long as scope creep doesn't occur. If you want a more established development/stakeholder relationship, i'd do it in house.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also do you really want to be trying to craft a software package to talk to an undocumented black box that could change at any point? Because you're still relying on whatever poo poo is running on the DVR box.

I'd possibly look to building your own PC-based DVRs to work with IP cameras running Milestone or Zone Minder depending on budgets. Or try and find a Chinese DVR manufacturer that doesn't use terrible software (trick question, there aren't any).

I think trying to roll your own client software to talk to an undocumented system will eat more cash than you'd ever make reselling what are more than likely cheap low end units.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Okay so I might as well Repost seeing as it's been a while.

My Experience: ~10 months of Low-Medium MSP work. I've done solid first and second level support, Machine image build out and deployment (FOG SCCM). Presently a part of the documentation team at my current MSP

Technologies Familiar with: Server 2008R2/Server2012 Win7/Win8/Win8.1, Sonicwall, Cisco

Certifications: A+, Network+ (MCSA Server 2012R2 is in the short term works, but we all know how 'almost' certs qualify)

What I'm looking for: L2 Support, Jr. Systems administrator position.

What I'm not looking for: Callcenter work, Hell desk L1,

Where I'm looking: Greater NYC Metro, Biased towards NJ side of river

When I can Start 2-3 Weeks after acceptance of formal offer.

Reach me via: PM, Pa nza rino tech@thegmail.com

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 24, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I have years of experience working closely with Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers and developers of DVRs, digital media players, and other consumer grade embedded devices.

Give up now.

If you ever get the source code for the products you've been selling, it'll be a totally useless pile of poo poo that no decent programmer will want to touch.

If you try to build equivalent software and/or firmware yourself, you'll never ever be able to make a competitive product. With some really good developers and managers and marketing people you could make a solid product, but it'll be so absurdly expensive that nobody will buy it.

Consumers will almost always pick the cheap poo poo over a quality product that costs more. The companies you're working with know their product sucks but they don't care because they pay their workers peanuts and churn out something that sort of almost works and doesn't cost much.

Either keep reselling the cheap crap or get out of the business.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
e; ^ I think that is as far from our business model and reputation as anything could be. We don't engage in the lowest price ebay bullshit. I don't want to talk too much about the industry publicly, everyone talks to each other so I'll leave it at that.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

First of all, you need to evaluate your need for making your own software package, and do a cost benefit analysis of producing it. In reality, adding a software product isn't as simple as contracting a dev for a few months to give you a product. You'll want to commit to having a software development team working full time on the software development lifecycle. This means you'll need developers, yes, but you'll also want someone working on design, user experience, collaborating with stakeholders and end users on feature requests, and organizing the development effort to ensure that deliverables are met in a timely and complete fashion. You're also going to want to have at least a full time developer working on test to write and execute automated and manual test cases. At minimum you're looking at three full time employees, though depending on the depth and scope of the program you may want to up that number to add more development and/or test as needed.

Does the size of your business allow for this? Do you see a better written program as a vehicle to increase sales enough to compensate for that?

Contracting to a company to develop the program will probably be a more difficult, though potentially cheaper in the beginning as long as scope creep doesn't occur. If you want a more established development/stakeholder relationship, i'd do it in house.

Caged posted:

Also do you really want to be trying to craft a software package to talk to an undocumented black box that could change at any point? Because you're still relying on whatever poo poo is running on the DVR box.

I'd possibly look to building your own PC-based DVRs to work with IP cameras running Milestone or Zone Minder depending on budgets. Or try and find a Chinese DVR manufacturer that doesn't use terrible software (trick question, there aren't any).

I think trying to roll your own client software to talk to an undocumented system will eat more cash than you'd ever make reselling what are more than likely cheap low end units.

Thanks for the responses, this information will help me a lot. To touch a few things: Yes having our own software that we're in complete control of will warrant the price tag. While our yearly revenue is respectable, I'm not so sure we can really have 3 different employees all dedicated to ONLY software, maybe if their responsibilities expanded to a few other technical areas of our business it could warrant that. There's no way we can build a PC based DVR, our volume is way too high and we have way too much credit with China (they're so much better to us than any bank ever could imagine) to not sell their product. Plus our current vendor makes great hardware, and we've made them very successful in America and we can't jump ship, we're too far in bed with each other at this point.

One last question, if we were to successfully buy the source code from the vendor, then do you think my ideas/requests are more realistic? GUI stuff isn't important right now, I can design graphics well and the existing look can suffice. Also I do graphic design, if the employee could do the back end well then surely he can use my graphics for the front end?

RizieN fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 24, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RizieN posted:

One last question, if we were to successfully buy the source code from the vendor, then do you think my ideas/requests are more realistic? GUI stuff isn't important right now, I can design graphics well and the existing look can suffice. Also I do graphic design, if the employee could do the back end well then surely he can use my graphics for the front end?
You're going to have an enormous testing and integration burden no matter what you do. Even if you design the frontend, you probably can't write the threaded/evented code to update it from god knows what mess of a codebase you get, and somebody has to test all of that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

RizieN posted:

I'm not so sure we can really have 3 different employees all dedicated to ONLY software, maybe if their responsibilities expanded to a few other technical areas of our business it could warrant that.

This is literally software development project suicide. Never do this. Commit fully or not at all if you want anything close to a functional, polished product.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Wanted to update with a new position QA Engineer - http://www.infusionsoft.com/careers/quality-assurance-engineer

sterster posted:

Who are we?
Infusionsoft.com We are a SAS company that delivers an all in one automated marketing, CRM & sales software company for small businesses.

Where are we?
We have locations in both Phoenix Az & Lehi, UT

What are we looking for?
We have a number of positions open. Specifically, I'm interested looking for Java Devs lever 1,2,3 & Email Admin & Analyst & A whole bunch of other tech positions go check it out

What are we not looking for?
What are we not looking for? Seriously, we are growing quickly and have a lot of positions open.

The Good
We are one of the quickest growing companies in Arizona and have almost doubled in growth over the past 3 years. We are a bunch of geeks and nerds that try to work hard and have fun at the same time. We have a casual work environment with mostly flexible work hours. We do have full coverage for health benefits. Additionally, we like to look at our selves as a start up just like 'silicon valley' thus, we offer stock options so you can become filthy rich. We also offer a bonuses, cereal bar, game room etc. etc. If you have any questions you can shoot me a pm.

The Bad
Sometimes opportunities pop up which require some extra hours. This is usually limited to no more than a month out of a whole year. The code base can be a little complicated & archaic at times. We are growing and are a young company. We have growing pains I'm not going to lie. There will be changes and we have to adapt to new policies, procedures etc.

How do I apply?
http://www.infusionsoft.com/careers

Anything else?
Are you a referral? Yes, please put me down as your referrer. Sterling Grogg

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This is literally software development project suicide. Never do this. Commit fully or not at all if you want anything close to a functional, polished product.

I think I'll heed this warning for now. Thanks for the information guys.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Who We Are: We are a startup-ish consulting firm in Toronto.
What We Do: We do a little bit of everything. Right now we are working on an app that got quite a lot of buzz at CES.
What We Need: We are looking for a resource who is experienced with iOS. If you have C# or Xamarin.iOS experience even better!
Where We Are Located: Toronto, ON (Bloor/Dundas - Dundas West Station).

Interested? Wanna find out more? slushey@synirc.net or on IRC.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sterster posted:

Wanted to update with a new position QA Engineer - http://www.infusionsoft.com/careers/quality-assurance-engineer

Thanks for this, I just applied.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

Thanks for this, I just applied.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully I can help ya out or give you some insight into company /position.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Who we are: LiquidLogic http://liquidlogic.biz/
About the company: A Engineering firm that creates various products for 3rd party vendors.
Where we are: Boise, ID
Who we are looking for: A experienced C/C++ Programmer with embedded experience, Linux experience is a plus, but not necessary. The candidate will be programming maps for a few already released products, and one non-released product.

We are adding maps to the:

Marcum LX-6
Marcum LX-7
Marcum LX-9 (Why did we skip the 8? Who knows!)
And a new Marcum Tablet.
http://marcumtech.com/

Please Note:
The LX-6 and LX-7 are embedded and have no RTOS.
The LX-9 runs Linux.

This means familiarity with low level programming really is a must!

About us: We are a stable but small company who primarily contracts to Versa Electronics (a subsidiary of Marcum), my boss has 20+ years of experience in Sonar technology and programming low level embedded devices, so that is our primary focus, however we also program just about anything out there, including light bars for:
Ecco Link: http://www.eccolink.com/
APG Cash Drawer: http://www.cashdrawer.com/
(We have done a lot of other embedded projects, but those are some of the bigger ones.)

You do not need a lot of Linux experience! I can help you with Linux if you need help, as I am the senior Linux Systems Engineer here, and it is my job to help with integrating your code into our projects.

We are well organized! You will have access to all the source code your heart desires either off of SVN (the LX-6 and LX-7) or git (LX-9), this includes schematics, gerber files, and boms as well. We use Basecamp to organize all of our projects as well, and we use Skype and Gmail to communicate with each other, along with of course email.

Must you be in Boise? It's a plus, but we also understand that there aren't a lot of people that can do this kind of work that live in the Boise area, so it isn't 100% necessary.

Contact: Please Email me at: Aduskett@liquidlogic.biz or PM me for more information.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
My Experience: Well-rounded generalist, most recent gig is primarily 3rd level application support. 10 years experience in field primarily supporting MS environments, limited OSX, and small exposure to linux. Limited experience with development, working with version management and build utilities like Perforce and Tinderbox. Experienced in translating end-user to IT and vice-versa. Really a little of everything. If I don't know it I can learn it.

What I'm looking for: Remote, ie home based position. I recently completed a year of systems engineering / project management / level 3 support (I typically wear many hats) from a home-based office and my productivity and enjoyment of life went through the roof.

What I'm NOT looking for: First level support.

Where I live: Central MA

Where I'm looking: Telecommute

Requirements: Full Time

When I can start: Within two weeks notice

How I can be reached: jonathan@tosogushi.com

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

boo_radley posted:

Job: Software Engineer
Job: Entry Level DBA
Who we are: An international agricultural bank. This is honestly an awesome place to work and the people are fun but super-driven. The benefits are great as are the salaries. The corporate structure is not too crazy, either.

What we're looking for: Somebody who's motivated and knows his or her stuff. You will be expected to be professional and engaged in your duties. You'll also be able to rely on your coworkers and management to help you when you need it.

There are three of these positions available. There is consideration given to people who are recommended by current employees, so if you're interested, please PM me, or email me at reachergilt+job@gmail.com and let's talk. Having said that: I'm not the hiring manager here, but I don't want to work with idiots. I want to make sure we can work together and that I'm comfortable recommending you as a professional.

The listed requirements are pretty in depth, but we "hire to fit" as well as to skills -- don't sweat it if you're not 100% on everything (for instance, I don't have a degree).

We had a string of idiots apply. Are you not an idiot? Come work with me.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
More openings for our product team. Company decided we are getting something stupid like 17 new people this year.

Got your resume to my management hifi. From the sounds of it they will most likely interview you. I have seen some of the other applicants, some have some more solid experience based on what I could read from the resume but could be considered over qualified too. So here is hoping!

Performance QA engineer
http://www.infusionsoft.com/careers/performance-test-engineer

Still looking for
Chandler, Az
DBA
Java Engineers (mid/senior)
Email sys admin
Email Analyst
PM
Netsuite Dev

Lehi, UT
Frontend Dev

Go check it out http://www.infusionsoft.com/careers
Once again please ask me any questions and put me down for your referrer.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Who are we?
A manufacturing firm in Northwest Florida.

Where are we?
Destin/Panama City, FL

What are we looking for?
The position title is: Desktop Administrator / Jr. Systems Administrator, which breaks down to 75-80% break/fix desktop/admin and 20-25% projects.

What are we not looking for?
If you don't want to do desktop support, this isn't the job for you. There's a lot of opportunity for growth and expansion, but the core role is desktop support.

Also, if you have a problem with heavy machinery, this is definitely not the place for you.

The Good
- There is a lot of opportunity to take on new things and take ownership/management of the current environment through automation.
- The team is incredibly supportive and this is a good company to work for. Everyone is grateful for help, and while sometimes people are stressed, everyone is happy when you show up to help.
- Relaxed dress code. Jeans and polo are the norm, along with steel-toed boots and hardhat.
- We'll buy books and reimburse for successful cert passes.
- The beach, if that's your thing, is really close.

The Bad
- Tasks will change, projects will get reprioritized sometimes. It happens.
- There will be days where you don't see your desk, and others where you don't get a call. Usually when things break here, they break at once.
- It's a noisy environment. If you need quiet, this isn't the place. Offices are in the plant, and you'll be in and around, servicing things.
- I'm the manager. I give direction and set a task and expect you to ask questions if you don't understand something, otherwise I expect that you've got a handle on things. I don't do micromanagement. This has proven to be a problem for a lot of people.

How do I apply?
PM me or email me at mystic.cookie@gmail.com

Anything else?
Send me any questions via PM/email.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Nvm, can't read.

Kumquat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 1, 2014

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
This is still looking for applicants. We've added a project manager to keep the priorities and workload to a more regular level. So most of the bad and ugly is looking better and prettier.

Full benefits means 100% paid health insurance options and 401k with match. This position will have plenty of creative control as well. We're a small team so goals, objectives, and methods of obtaining them are freely discussed and agreed upon. That's part of what makes it a great place to work.

Halo_4am posted:

Who we are: Local Real Estate/Property Tax Asset Management Company(TM)

About the company: 5+ year old child company with 8 employees, working with a 10+ year old parent company with ~40 employees

Where we are: Chicago, IL (Loop)

Who we are looking for: JR. developer with the experience in any of the following, ordered by importance : C#, MVC, MS Web API, general .NET, general MS SQL, graphic/front end design (read: website, mobile apps, maybe some print marketing material here and there), Telerik's various suites. 2 year degree a plus, certs a plus, experience a plus. If you lack any of those then some sample projects/a portfolio is expected.

The Good: Strong company in the region that hasn't stopped growing since it started. Full benefits, plenty of personal/holiday time. Salaried development position that for the moment is an actual 40 hour a week workload. Business casual attire required, but otherwise a very lax environment and fun place to work. The workforce here is mostly under 30, smart, and highly motivated. I thought places like this were a fairy tale when I was working in a giant corporate environment. Seems about monthly there's an after hours company sponsored function to celebrate new clients, new this, new that, or just because. The staff and environment is as such where this is actually something to look forward to even for a neckbeard like me.

The Bad: Typical small business mix mash of priorities dictated by whatever client is about to land or has just landed. This can include anything from new mobile apps to screen scraping data if no other means are available. Not really big on telecommuting at all for at least the first ~months. I've been here a year, and have been looking to move towards a weekly work from home day for my suburb commuting self since I started. The workload and communication with staff for requirements/testing/whatever just hasn't allowed for it. Whenever things start looking calm enough to think about it, something else pops up and it's a pipe dream again.

The Ugly: Should that next client end up being a whale you and I may not see daylight for awhile, because they will chain us to our desks. Though I'm confident that if that should happen we'll be able to hire more help or utilize some temp/consulting resources to make it a short term problem, and not the new normal.

Contact: PM me or email me your resume/info/expected salary and I'll get back to you within a couple of days.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Fed up with my current employer and looking for a new job.

My Experience: Full-stack J2EE web developer with ~2 years of professional experience, plus 3 years of co-op/internships with this same company while I was finishing my undergrad. Familiar with multiple MVC frameworks (including Struts and Spring), JavaScript (jQuery, ExtJS, AngularJS), and MySQL & JDBC. I'm also currently pursuing a Master's in Human-Computer Interaction alongside working full-time and have experience UI/UX design and rapid prototyping.

What I'm looking for: A full-time developer position, preferably with a front-end focus. Willing to relocate & travel.

What I'm NOT looking for: Jobs with start-ups that have not been established for 2+ years

Where I live: Atlanta, GA

Where I'm looking: Literally anywhere, though proximity to Boston is a plus.

Requirements: Full-time

When I can start: Within a month

How I can be reached: PM

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FLEXBONER posted:

Fed up with my current employer and looking for a new job.

My Experience: Full-stack J2EE web developer with ~2 years of professional experience, plus 3 years of co-op/internships with this same company while I was finishing my undergrad. Familiar with multiple MVC frameworks (including Struts and Spring), JavaScript (jQuery, ExtJS, AngularJS), and MySQL & JDBC. I'm also currently pursuing a Master's in Human-Computer Interaction alongside working full-time and have experience UI/UX design and rapid prototyping.

What I'm looking for: A full-time developer position, preferably with a front-end focus. Willing to relocate & travel.

What I'm NOT looking for: Jobs with start-ups that have not been established for 2+ years

Where I live: Atlanta, GA

Where I'm looking: Literally anywhere, though proximity to Boston is a plus.

Requirements: Full-time

When I can start: Within a month

Carbonite is always hiring developers. Main office is in Boston, with a satellite office in Sunnyvale, CA

If anything here looks up your alley, let me know. I'll refer you.
https://careers-carbonite.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchLocation=&searchCategory=&hashed=0

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Sent you a PM.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Decided to stay in the US for good this time, so looking to get a job based here.

My Experience: I joined a video game art production studio in Beijing as a project manager right out of college but after a year or so took over all of their IT because it needed doing. It's kind of a mixed bag though, I got the office off of XP and up to 7 and 8, restructured our AD domains, manage the internal email and other services, replaced the clunky home router stuff with more appropriate devices so we could more easily connect with our customers via VPN, wrote a few scripts to ease some of the technical issues our artists have had, all sorts of stuff. As we got a bit bigger I hired a couple guys and setup a helpdesk and ticketing system too.

EDIT: Also includes some linux experience mainly with ubuntu 12 and centos 6 setting up samba, perforce servers, our internal http stuff (wiki, ticketing, etc.) and other things like that.

What I'm looking for: I think I'd be pretty comfortable in a Desktop Support role, but this isn't to say I wouldn't be happy for an opportunity to learn more doing something else.

Where I live: San Francisco, CA

Where I'm looking: San Francisco, CA. I don't have a car at the moment so probably limiting that to what's accessible within reason via public transit. Can't really relocate due to my wife's situation.

Requirements: fulltime

When I can start: Need a month's notice.

waloo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 5, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waloo posted:

Decided to stay in the US for good this time, so looking to get a job based here.

My Experience: I joined a video game art production studio in Beijing as a project manager right out of college but after a year or so took over all of their IT because it needed doing. It's kind of a mixed bag though, I got the office off of XP and up to 7 and 8, restructured our AD domains, manage the internal email and other services, replaced the clunky home router stuff with more appropriate devices so we could more easily connect with our customers via VPN, wrote a few scripts to ease some of the technical issues our artists have had, all sorts of stuff. As we got a bit bigger I hired a couple guys and setup a helpdesk and ticketing system too.

What I'm looking for: I think I'd be pretty comfortable in a Desktop Support role, but this isn't to say I wouldn't be happy for an opportunity to learn more doing something else.

Where I live: San Francisco, CA

Where I'm looking: San Francisco, CA. I don't have a car at the moment so probably limiting that to what's accessible within reason via public transit. Can't really relocate due to my wife's situation.

Requirements: fulltime

When I can start: Need a month's notice.

Do you have any proficiency with Linux?
If yes, can you get to Sunnyvale for work? There's a Caltrain station within walking distance of our office.

If yes to both, I have a potential job for you doing application support.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you have any proficiency with Linux?
If yes, can you get to Sunnyvale for work? There's a Caltrain station within walking distance of our office.

If yes to both, I have a potential job for you doing application support.

Yes on Linux but sadly no on getting to Sunnyvale. It takes a stupid amount of time for me to get to caltrain (about an hour).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waloo posted:

Yes on Linux but sadly no on getting to Sunnyvale. It takes a stupid amount of time for me to get to caltrain (about an hour).

Well if that situation ever changes, let me know.

BlessedBullet
Aug 18, 2007
How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
I manage the website for a non-profit organization which needs a major overhaul from a design perspective. The non profit's priority is hosting its annual convention. However, there's some ancillary things the org wants to do too (merchandise, blog, etc). In general, the site needs to be redone to focus on the convention but have some room for the ancillary stuff as well.

Since the org is made up of volunteers, it's difficult to get the exact mix of skills needed as well as focused dedication. As such, I would like to hire a professional to lead the execution to make sure it gets done. As a non profit, we can't be awesomely, but the compensation would be fair. There's also some compelling side benefits. There'd probably be room for more work in the future, many of the volunteers are good people to network with, and if attendance continues to grow as it has in the past years, you may have a modestly popular site in your portfolio.

The person would need to
  • Take organizational goals, UX wireframes, and existing brand guidelines to revamp a WordPress-powered site. Designer can expect to work with me on any additional requirements that may arise
  • Analyze impact of new design on older content and propose solutions
  • Build for flexibility e.g. a person with basic knowledge of web development should be able to look at your work and make edits to your css, etc. after the job is done
  • Build or propose various sub components such as A/B testing mechanisms, image carousel, image gallery, etc.
  • Coach or guide volunteers who may assist you in implementation
  • Job must be completed and accepted in 2 - 3 months, though I expect a dedicated and experienced professional could do the actual work in less than 80 work hours if all assets were provided.
Other Reqs
  • WordPress (Master Level)
  • "HTML5" stack (HTML, Java, CSS, etc)
  • Graphic Design (Build assets when they are unavailable)
  • Must have a portfolio of previous web jobs
Bonus
  • Located in the Seattle area
  • Experience setting up an eCommerce component
If interested, PM me your your contact info, portfolio, and expected price range.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, so I applied for a job at IBM in their in-house legal department, and they sent me an e-mail asking me to complete an online proficiency exam....

Has anyone ever had to do this? I hope they aren't technical computer questions because it would have absolutely nothing to do with my job and I'm sure as hell not some computer whiz

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
The test is analogous to an IQ test, basically. It mostly involves figuring out which number is next in a sequence of numbers. It's not a very good measure of much of anything related to anything you'd be doing at IBM and it's just a hurdle IBM people have to jump through.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Great, I went to law school specifically because numbers are the bane of my existence. I guess I'll give it the ol' college try and see what happens.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Duro posted:

Great, I went to law school specifically because numbers are the bane of my existence. I guess I'll give it the ol' college try and see what happens.

I took a test like that just a couple of weeks ago (not IBM). I don't have the patience to figure out math or number sequence puzzles, so I copied the problems and pasted them directly into google. I found all but 1 answer for the 20 or so problems.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Didn't you learn how to do things you don't want to do in law school? If you don't want to work at IBM's legal department badly enough to do a stupid little 20-minute thing you don't like, you probably shouldn't even apply. That is pretty much the equivalent of "why do I have to learn about the Civil War, I'll never use this in real life."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It's pretty easy, I did it a couple weeks ago and probably did pretty terribly, but I got a call back anyways. Don't sweat it.