Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rookersh posted:

You know what Giantbomb really needs.

A Jeff King's Field stream. :getin:

That's a strange way to spell Jeff Metal Wolf Chaos stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vargs posted:

Someone posted a video after pumping a ton into resistance during the network test, and I hope they nerf it because it seemed utterly ridiculous. Dude could just stand there getting pounded on over and over and I couldn't even see his health bar going down at all.

Which is a funny thing to read since Resistance in Dark Souls, for the most part, is pretty useless to everyone but the hardcore PvPer. Even then I don't think they bother.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Which is a funny thing to read since Resistance in Dark Souls, for the most part, is pretty useless to everyone but the hardcore PvPer. Even then I don't think they bother.

A couple of extra points can boost your defence a bit though.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I wish someone would do an Otogi video. We need HD remakes of those games, they were already loving gorgeous on the original Xbox.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Machine posted:

I wish someone would do an Otogi video. We need HD remakes of those games, they were already loving gorgeous on the original Xbox.

Man, Otogi was so awesome. Talk about a game being lost to the ages. I don't think there's any way to play them other than getting out an OG Xbox.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
That's the game where you punch demons through buildings, and then you dash through a wall and punch more demons through more buildings. Right?

Xbox era Sega was HELLA UNDERRATED. HELLA. HELLA UNDERRATED.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I most remember from Otogi was the super annoying second stage which has a guy constantly yelling the same thing over and over again throughout the entire stage.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Otogi had one really tough stage near the beginning where you had to keep a boat afloat as it is attacked by these slime things - if too many got on board it sunk and you lost. If you played the game normally and didn't level up your abilities you would have an extremely hard time fighting them but if you hit the first couple missions a few times you'd have enough souls to level up and you'd do great. But yeah, the combat in that game is so insanely satisfying. Hitting an enemy with a flash string of weak attacks and finishing it off with a heavy that sent them flying a hundred meters and smashing into a wall or through a building and watching all the carnage was something else. It's one of those games that really does need another game. The destructibility would be perfect for a modern system.

Edit: The stages were absolutely gorgeous too but you were rewarded for destroying everything in them, so it was bittersweet doing so.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Depths posted:

There's totally a shortcut to flame guy.

You mean the one that involves dropping down the big shaft? I've killed myself on that more than I have on flame lurker. I'm surprised people find him hard though.

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I most remember from Otogi was the super annoying second stage which has a guy constantly yelling the same thing over and over again throughout the entire stage.

Oh man, that guy. "NONE SHALL PASS" became kind of a thing for my friends at the time after Otogi.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean the one that involves dropping down the big shaft? I've killed myself on that more than I have on flame lurker. I'm surprised people find him hard though.

Oh man, that guy. "NONE SHALL PASS" became kind of a thing for my friends at the time after Otogi.

I didn't know dropping down was a "shortcut" and thought it was part of the level. I never saw the giant, awesome lava part of the level until a second playthrough.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah that's a bigass shortcut right there, people find him hard because he's one of those super aggressive bosses that have really wide swings, kinda like artorias in DS.

Jeff is streaming vita right now, http://www.twitch.tv/jeffgerstmann

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Depths posted:

Jeff is streaming vita right now, http://www.twitch.tv/jeffgerstmann

OlliOlli looks cool as heck. Gonna pick it up ASAP.

Shame that ghetto streaming Vita Jeff got is... inconsistent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Vita is a pretty cool games machine you guys.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rexicon1 posted:

What about it do you find fun?
Maybe that was because I played on PC on release, but getting invaded made for some of the most memorable moments in that playthrough. You're trying to make your way through the level when suddenly someone starts stalking you; you proceed to kill their dicks and reap the reward: what's not to like. It never seemed laggy at all. Has it gotten that much worse since the release? I guess anyone who still plays to this day is a hardcore fan and knows how to break the systems over the knee.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

woodenchicken posted:

Maybe that was because I played on PC on release, but getting invaded made for some of the most memorable moments in that playthrough. You're trying to make your way through the level when suddenly someone starts stalking you; you proceed to kill their dicks and reap the reward: what's not to like. It never seemed laggy at all. Has it gotten that much worse since the release? I guess anyone who still plays to this day is a hardcore fan and knows how to break the systems over the knee.

Even playing on PC the fights seem to be laggy gently caress fests with teleporting backstabs and poo poo. I'm willing to accept people can deal with this. I just can't stand unresponsive games that require some sort of delay adjustment.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I hope Brad talks to the people around the nexus a little more. One of my favorite pieces of Demon's Souls story is how the crestfallen warrior says the Monumental is full of poo poo if you talk to him after getting the chosen one spiel. I think the NPCs in Demon's Souls are a little more interesting in general. The crestfallen warrior in Dark Souls is just kind of whiny.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rexicon1 posted:

Even playing on PC the fights seem to be laggy gently caress fests with teleporting backstabs and poo poo. I'm willing to accept people can deal with this. I just can't stand unresponsive games that require some sort of delay adjustment.

I had no problem with lag on the PS3 or PC versions for invading or being invaded.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Brad better not play offline. 3-3 is the best (well, most unique) boss fight in the game because of the online aspect.

I totally just remembered why the gently caress Demon's Souls pvp was so bad. Ugh. gently caress the scraping spear and lovely griefing.

Also gently caress the Valley of Defilement. I was way interested in replaying the game but i'm remembering how awful some aspects were.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Poison swamp sucks but 5-1 isn't that bad unless you're doing the optional stuff. World and character tendency is something I don't miss in Dark Souls. Getting pure white and black tendencies for the black phantoms/items/demons was the worst.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I seemed to be pretty lucky in that i could reach and beat the flamelurker in one go, though i came back to Demon's from Dark, so it was a familiar fight style and had plenty of herbs. I had more trouble with the Dragon God because i didn't figure out the destructible scenery to the rightfor a while. Same kind of thing with the swamp, it was a slog and it sucked to traipse around but i was stocked up on lotuses, had the thief's outfit for poison resist and cleared out the area in an hour or two aside from a few distant shinies. I think going in a second time i'll remember to take the guidance stones to drop on the main path and landmarks so i don't get lost wading around the place.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Rexicon1 posted:

Since Dark Souls is P2P, the quality of PVP is entirely connection-dependant. Most PVP I've done on PC and PS3 was fine with no lag and I could do all the fun parries and dodges as per usual, but every once in a while I get invaded by someone with an obviously Japanese username and it's a shitshow of teleporting backstabs and mysteriously losing half my health for no discernable reason. That's been the exception rather than the rule for me.

That said, I loathed PVP on the PC in my most recent playthrough, which was about 15 hours. I got invaded probably about 20 times. That's not the problem - the problem is that three of those invasions were against players that were completely invincible, four were against players that had a weapon that instantly cursed me, and two were against players that drained my stats permanently (leaving my soul level the same) and forced me to restore a backup of my character that dsfix made. I played this whole playthrough soon after the game was on a Steam sale, which I understand is when the hackers generally ramp up their activities to catch new players, and since I was trying to do the whole game <SL20 it meant that the only people who could really invade me in places like the Kiln were either other folks going out of their way to stay low level, or hackers just editing themselves down to SL1, so I was definitely getting a disproportionate share that playthrough. My hitrate of hacker:normal player in PVP for my other playthroughs was probably around 1:10.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 23, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Since Dark Souls is P2P, the quality of PVP is entirely connection-dependant. Most PVP I've done on PC and PS3 was fine with no lag and I could do all the fun parries and dodges as per usual, but every once in a while I get invaded by someone with an obviously Japanese username and it's a shitshow of teleporting backstabs and mysteriously losing half my health for no discernable reason. That's been the exception rather than the rule for me.

That said, I loathed PVP on the PC in my most recent playthrough, which was about 15 hours. I got invaded probably about 20 times. That's not the problem - the problem is that three of those invasions were against players that were completely invincible, four were against players that had a weapon that instantly cursed me, and two were against players that drained my stats permanently (leaving my soul level the same) and forced me to restore a backup of my character that dsfix made. I played this whole playthrough soon after the game was on a Steam sale, which I understand is when the hackers generally ramp up their activities to catch new players, and since I was trying to do the whole game <SL20 it meant that the only people who could really invade me in places like the Kiln were either other folks going out of their way to stay low level, or hackers just editing themselves down to SL1, so I was definitely getting a disproportionate share that playthrough. My hitrate of hacker:normal player in PVP for my other playthroughs was probably around 1:10.

Ok THAT is complete bullshit. I played on PS3 which seems to the hardest to hack in terms of DS characters, and a lot of invasions were often fun enough that I used the withered finger or whatever it was called for a rematch.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
People whine about PvP in Dark Souls way too much, but yeah man the hackers are just straight up assholes. There's like a contingent of players that find the game impossible to play so they cheat and try to ruin it for others, which is ridiculous.

Also that scraping spear stream sniper is a dick too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The guy who griefed Brad last night? rear end in a top hat.

I have never had a good experience with invaders in Dark Souls. They are just not fun with their broken rear end gear which they got by going to the end of the game, even more so with the game this long into the release when people have figured out how to be broken and low level. Min/maxxed wankers, invading newbies in the Burg and dumb poo poo like that. Add connection problems on top of that? Makes for a dreadful time. Nothing quite as boring as being backstabbed by guys who just miliseconds ago were 20 meters away, every time. It is just an overwhelmingly negative and lovely experience for someone so new to the game to have, I imagine some people probably got burned out by it and just put the game down.

I am almost never human because of how terrible I think the experience is.

Summoning is cool enough, tho.

There should be some sort of equipment rating for the beginning of the game only, so that invaders can only wear a certain tier of gear until you are expected to have your poo poo together.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All of my very best experiences in both games have been thanks to online summons or invaders. Creative invaders are the absolute best thing in the game (though if you're just rolling around with the scraping spear or if you're camping the forest in a team with havel+lightning zweis you're just being a prick). If you play Souls offline, you are missing out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Gearing up to have Dark Souls 2 become GOTY this year.

It has a decent chance from what we know is coming so far. There's not too many hyped games for 2014. On PC at least I see the main fight being between DS2 and Witcher 3.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah to be fair I'm pretty loving PSYCHED for Witcher 3, but the trepidation and anxiety I have about Dark Souls 2 is on a whole other level. I mean I'm not gonna fall over into a blubbery mess of a manchild if it turns out to be poo poo, but if it turns out to be ownage I'll become totally consumed by it.

Also yeah invading can be a completely unfun experience but you have the power to improve it. Don't just go hollow and tap out of the feature entirely, make some dumb gimmick build and make someone's day.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

All of my very best experiences in both games have been thanks to online summons or invaders. Creative invaders are the absolute best thing in the game (though if you're just rolling around with the scraping spear or if you're camping the forest in a team with havel+lightning zweis you're just being a prick). If you play Souls offline, you are missing out.

Yeah, I feel I might be missing out, but every invader I have had has been Havel+varied zweis. I've had like eight. For all I know they are the same guy, but I don't care. It blows. My experience with summoning was cool though, no real complaints there, except maybe summon signs take too long to spawn in after going human.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Even as someone who is a massive fan of both Souls games, I think the invasion mechanic is more trouble than it's worth. Let's see how they handle it in Dark Souls 2, but I can count the number of enjoyable invasions I've had on one hand. I don't even find doing the invading to be all that satisfying.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Dave Snider on the latest This is Only a Test and a new quicklook of KickBeat.

E: poo poo, we have gone through ~60 pages in 14 days. This thread moves faaaast.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 23, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Even as someone who is a massive fan of both Souls games, I think the invasion mechanic is more trouble than it's worth. Let's see how they handle it in Dark Souls 2, but I can count the number of enjoyable invasions I've had on one hand. I don't even find doing the invading to be all that satisfying.

I share this attitude, except the massive fan of Dark Souls thing. I'm playing it and kinda enjoying it, but my encounters with invaders are nothing but frustrating. Add on top of that that I don't really want to play games like this with other people, and it means I'm playing the game in spite of all this bullshit.

Unless there's some new mechanic that's yet to be revealed in Dark Souls 2 that lets you prevent invasion like being hollow in the first game did, there's a good chance I will never touch that game. Although maybe the PC port might be OK if I can firewall that game to prevent all internet traffic.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mokinokaro posted:

It has a decent chance from what we know is coming so far. There's not too many hyped games for 2014. On PC at least I see the main fight being between DS2 and Witcher 3.

There's a ton of 2014 games that I'm optimistic about, but have no idea whether or not they will be good: Watchdogs, South Park, Transistor, Metal Gear V, Destiny, Titanfall, Pillars of Eternity, and probably a ton of things I can't even remember right now.

I think Witcher 3 is the one I'm the most confident in being amazing, with Dark Souls 2 as a close second, but I could see any of those other games being a contender.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's no way Jeff would let Dark Souls 2 take GotY.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Another Person posted:

Yeah, I feel I might be missing out, but every invader I have had has been Havel+varied zweis. I've had like eight. For all I know they are the same guy, but I don't care. It blows. My experience with summoning was cool though, no real complaints there, except maybe summon signs take too long to spawn in after going human.

Actually I suppose I should mention that my best ever experience in the forest WAS without a trio of Havels with huge weapons. It was on my archer character, and I'd spent a fair amount of time annoying them with my +15 longbow until they finally decided to run me down. They followed me right into the cat pit without thinking, wherein I switched to Gough's and between the Cats and I, none of them could actually stay standing up long enough to take anything out.

Havel Trio killed by lone archer and 3 enemies, archer steals stupid huge amount of souls. :darksouls:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I hear so many horror stories from Dark Souls PvP, it is a crazy shame to hear them every time and I really hope Dark Souls 2 works better for people. Somehow for me, I got insanely lucky and never had a single hacker or any serious lag issues, and some of the PvP stuff I pulled off were some of my best moments in that game, so for people to miss out on that or have a completely awful experience is very disappointing to hear. When it works well, it works REALLY well. :( Dark Souls simply wouldn't have been the same for me if it didn't have PvP.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheJoker138 posted:

There's no way Jeff would let Dark Souls 2 take GotY.

There's no way Jeff would let The Last of Us take GotY.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

There's no way Jeff would let The Last of Us take GotY.

Jeff didn't actively hate Last of Us like he does Dark Souls. He saw the merits in at the very least it's story, even if he didn't enjoy the stealth sections of the gameplay. He rightly thinks that Dark Souls is hot garbage and while I could see him allowing it on the list to placate everyone else, if it took the #1 spot I'd be loving amazed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Since this tangent is staying civil I'll say I didn't care for Dark Souls PVP when playing through the game the first time. I enjoy PVP in games built around PVP or things like MMOs where the PVE is simple and mindless enough to be a backdrop for or at the very least be spiced up by PVP. In Dark Souls it always felt like it was something that got in the way of playing the actual game. Even when I killed an invader my immediate thought was now I can go back to playing the game. It's nice for some spice after beating the game, but not before.

EDIT: If DS2 is always on invasions it'll be annoying but not a deal breaker. I think if it was always on once you beat the game once that'd be perfect for me.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2014

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Jeff didn't actively hate Last of Us like he does Dark Souls. He saw the merits in at the very least it's story, even if he didn't enjoy the stealth sections of the gameplay. He rightly thinks that Dark Souls is hot garbage and while I could see him allowing it on the list to placate everyone else, if it took the #1 spot I'd be loving amazed.

I don't think Jeff is that anti-Dark Souls now either. In their more recent conversations he seems to be trying to understand the game better. He knows he does not want to play it, but he doesn't hate it. I think you're putting too much weight on his opinions from a couple of years ago.

Edit: Let's extrapolate Jeff's opinions more so that he posts to make us all look like schmucks. Come on, Jeff!

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, rightly. :jerkbag:

• Locked thread